• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hillary Clinton maintained Intel Security Clearance after she left the State Dept.

vesper

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Here's another can of worms,
It is being reported at FOX that Clinton and 6 aides retained their Security Clearances after leaving the State Dept.

Senator Grassley is quoted in a letter sent to Sec. of State Tillerson

“I have repeatedly asked the State Department whether Secretary Clinton and her associates had their clearances suspended or revoked to which the Obama Administration refused to respond,” Grassley wrote in a March 30 letter to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
“Recently, the State Department informed the Committee that six additional Secretary Clinton staff at State were designated as her research assistants which allowed them to retain their clearances after leaving the Department,” Grassley added.

Hillary Clinton aides had access to State Dept. after she left, says key lawmaker | Fox News

I never heard of such a thing being allowed, have you?

Re: Hillary Clinton maintained Intel Security Clearance after she left the State Dept

It is being reported at FOX that Clinton and 6 aides retained their Security Clearances after leaving the State Dept.

“I have repeatedly asked the State Department whether Secretary Clinton and her associates had their clearances suspended or revoked to which the Obama Administration refused to respond,” Grassley wrote in a March 30 letter to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
“Recently, the State Department informed the Committee that six additional Secretary Clinton staff at State were designated as her research assistants which allowed them to retain their clearances after leaving the Department,” Grassley added.

Hillary Clinton aides had access to State Dept. after she left, says key lawmaker | Fox News

Do you have security clearance or work in an environment where people need/obtain security clearance?

Also

https://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/282600-security-clearance-normal.html

Last edited:
Re: Hillary Clinton maintained Intel Security Clearance after she left the State Dept

Usually you lose it or it is suspended after you leave the service or post.

Do you have security clearance or work in an environment where people need/obtain security clearance?

which has nothing to do with the article or what he said.

I like how we're recycling old news to try and divert attention from the dumpster fire that is the current administration.

Here's an article from September 2015:
WASHINGTON - Hillary Clinton retains a security clearance allowing her access to classified information despite an FBI inquiry into her handling of sensitive government information on the private email account she used during her tenure as secretary of state.

Clinton, like other top officials appointed by the president, kept her clearance after she left office in 2013, according to a recent letter from Assistant Secretary of State Julia Frifield to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles Grassley.

Grassley seems to keep breaking the same news, doesn't he?

No. But logic says once you leave the position that required it, the security clearance and your aides would be revoked.

which has nothing to do with the article or what he said.

Which has everything to do with the comment "I never heard of such a thing being allowed, have you?" Duh

If you have never had clearance nor work in a place where people need/obtain it, it's very likely you've never heard of anything revolving around the necessities there of or protocol of it. But from the thread that already exists,

Hi, someone here with a Top Secret clearance here:

Yes, it is perfectly normal for someone to retain their clearance after leaving an area where that level of security clearance is required. Security Clearances are good for at least two years if I recall correctly by a private agency funded by the federal government to see if you are still in need of a clearance (still working jobs that require that level of clearance) or have undergone any recent changes in your life like your finances and personal life (for instance: Marriage.)

But just because someone has a "Top Sec" clearance doesn't mean they can just freely access classified information from their Android phones. They need several other requirements aside from just a clearance to access classified information. For instance, while I can access everything I may need for my work, I won't be able to access the Nuclear launch codes, Top Secret hideouts, etc etc. Of course, the person who is demanding Hilary's clearance be revoked is either grossly ignorant on how clearances work, or either he was doing this to score political points.

That said, Hilary should be imprisoned for the mishandling of classified information, so whatever.

One that claims to have have it, certainly not a Hillary supporter, but claims that this is standard.

Hello McFly!

No. But logic says once you leave the position that required it, the security clearance and your aides would be revoked.

Many people who don't know what they are talking about think certain things are logical, lol

No most high level cabinet members retain their security clearance.

This was discussed at length during the email dust-up.

8. How long is my security clearance good for after I leave the federal government?
The Department of State will revalidate a security clearance if (1) the individual has not been out of federal service for more than 2 years and (2) if the individual's clearance is based on an appropriate and current personnel security clearance investigation.

https://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10977.htm#8

I like how we're recycling old news to try and divert attention from the dumpster fire that is the current administration.

Can we call him Gassley?

Yes, that is normal.

Who gives a **** anyway? She's not the one leaking information to Putin.

They probably didn't want to piss off their new boss. Oops.

Good thing she doesn't have to worry about being President.

Yes, that is normal.

The other thing is that she left in 2013, what's the point of dragging up a 4 year old story now anyway? If not for deflection in the news cycle?

No most high level cabinet members retain their security clearance.

This was discussed at length during the email dust-up.

It doesn't make sense to retain your security clearance after James Comey’s July 5 announcement where he said the FBI found Clinton and her staff were “extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information.” That's just stupidity.

The other thing is that she left in 2013, what's the point of dragging up a 4 year old story now anyway? If not for deflection in the news cycle?

Clearly the point is to manipulate Fox News believers into spreading disinformation for the purpose of deflecting from the continuing disintegration of the Trump Administration.

Grassley continually asking the Obama administration to confirm it is old news. It took Tillerson's State Department to confirm it. It is outrageous that she and six aides were allowed to continue with such a clearance. Grassley is calling for an investigation on how long she and her aides were allowed access to top secret and classified information after leaving office. Several of her aides at the State Dept were advisers on her campaign, Cheryl Mills and Huma Weiner to name a couple.

Yes.

Clearance is usually handled separately from employment. It's routine for clearance to be kept after you leave a job.

For many rank and file employees and contractors, they won't even be considered for a job unless they already have clearance.

Clinton was also read in on a lot of sensitive materials once she became a candidate. Try not to freak out about that, mmmkay?

There is no smoke here, and definitely no fire.

Yes, that is normal.

Misdirection and Distraction :mrgreen:

Grassley continually asking the Obama administration to confirm it is old news. It took Tillerson's State Department to confirm it. It is outrageous that she and six aides were allowed to continue with such a clearance. Grassley is calling for an investigation on how long she and her aides were allowed access to top secret and classified information after leaving office. Several of her aides at the State Dept were advisers on her campaign, Cheryl Mills and Huma Weiner to name a couple.

That underlined, bolded text in my post is a hyperlink. To a story from 2015 in which an Assistant Secretary of State confirmed to Grassley that Clinton still had security clearance.

This isn't news. This is a sad attempt to recycle a story from two years ago to divert attention from the trainwreck unfolding before our eyes in the White House. The "let's investigate Clinton" well is finally running dry. What we need to be investigating is the Trump administration.

Grassley continually asking the Obama administration to confirm it is old news. It took Tillerson's State Department to confirm it. It is outrageous that she and six aides were allowed to continue with such a clearance.
No, it isn't.

3 years after leaving, Clinton and her staffers were pretty much out of the loop. No one was routinely sending them classified info. They probably didn't have access to the systems that had classified info on them.

Grassley is calling for an investigation on how long she and her aides were allowed access to top secret and classified information after leaving office. Several of her aides at the State Dept were advisers on her campaign, Cheryl Mills and Huma Weiner to name a couple.
So what?

Maintaining classification doesn't grant you access.

Let's say you are a contractor for the NSA. You're on a 6 month contract, which does not get renewed. Your employer puts you in a holding pattern for 2 months while finding a new assignment for you. During that time, you maintain your clearance, but you have no access.

This is not a big deal. At all.

Grassley is calling for an investigation on how long she and her aides were allowed access to top secret and classified information after leaving office.
So is it his or your point that he doesn't know what the State Dept rules are?

Like I said in the other thread, Hillary got special treatment because she left the State Department specifically to become the next President and she didn't want to have to play catch up on all the security stuff during the formality of an election.

Yes.

Clearance is usually handled separately from employment. It's routine for clearance to be kept after you leave a job.

For many rank and file employees and contractors, they won't even be considered for a job unless they already have clearance.

Clinton was also read in on a lot of sensitive materials once she became a candidate. Try not to freak out about that, mmmkay?

There is no smoke here, and definitely no fire.

DoD Contractor here, Visbek is absolutely right.

Back
Top Bottom