• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has diversity benefited the USA?

Has ethnic/racial/cultural/religious diversity benefited the USA?

• Yes, people are happier and the country is better than ever in history

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • No, people are angrier with escalating conflicts and problems

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Yes and No. It depends which demographic you are

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 21 19.3%

• Total voters
im vilifying those white folks

ahem

grrr curse those dastardly caucasian devils

they kick babies and eat up old people

Whhhofff! Didn't know about the eatin' old folks thing. The whites you say? I'll certainly be on the lookout from now on!
Thinks for the heads-up!
Regards,
CP

The poll only allows the person to respond emotionally and not practically, so I couldn't answer.

Diversity has hugely benefited the United States. Our R&D sector for both military and space exploration were largely staffed by foreign scientists at the outset. Most of our cities were physically built by immigration, like NYC. The U.S. has basically assimilated people from all over the globe into its sociopolitical structure and used them to its advantage.

Whether people are more angry about it is irrelevant to the efficacy of diversity. Had we remained isolationist we would be a second rate power by now.

As compared to any other demographic, no. I am a white man. I have never been accused to bringing crime to neighborhoods. I run over a thousand miles a year, no on has ever moved to the other side of the street when they saw me running, no matter what the hour was. No one has ever thought I would reduce their property values when I moved into their neighborhood. No one has ever thought I had an evil religion, or said that I should be profiled at airports, or anywhere else. No one has ever said that the marriage between my wife and I should not be recognized by the state. No one has ever said that I should not be able to adopt or am an unfit parent because I am a white heterosexual male. Should I go on?
That is quite an implied extrapolation. If one is to accept your personal experience and why not, what then does that mean to others? Your own personal experience seems quite idyllic. What of those of us not where you are or run? What then, are you telling the rest of us?
Regards,
CP

That is quite an implied extrapolation. If one is to accept your personal experience and why not, what then does that mean to others? Your own personal experience seems quite idyllic. What of those of us not where you are or run? What then, are you telling the rest of us?
Regards,
CP

Well as a white man I am paid more than others in similar positions, am over represented in upper management in most companies, am very over represented in congress, governorships, state legislators, and the presidency....

But, if another white man wants to think they have it worse than others, a view that I personally consider to be absolutely pathetic, I won't get in their way.

As compared to any other demographic, no. I am a white man. I have never been accused to bringing crime to neighborhoods. I run over a thousand miles a year, no on has ever moved to the other side of the street when they saw me running, no matter what the hour was. No one has ever thought I would reduce their property values when I moved into their neighborhood. No one has ever thought I had an evil religion, or said that I should be profiled at airports, or anywhere else. No one has ever said that the marriage between my wife and I should not be recognized by the state. No one has ever said that I should not be able to adopt or am an unfit parent because I am a white heterosexual male. Should I go on?

That is being discriminated against... not villified.

Villified is white men being spoken about in a disparaging manner about running a systemic racist society... being oppressive to women and minorities... being the one accused of being the "bad guy" in domestic violence... etc. Shall I go on?

That is being discriminated against... not villified.

Villified is white men being spoken about in a disparaging manner about running a systemic racist society... being oppressive to women and minorities... being the one accused of being the "bad guy" in domestic violence... etc. Shall I go on?

I have never been accused of being a racist, being oppressive to women, and have never been involved in any sort of domestic violence.

The USA is more ethnically, racially, culturally and religiously diverse than it has ever been in our history. If diversity is a good thing, then the USA should be a better country in its better condition economically and socially with people the happiest they have ever been.

Has diversity benefited the USA?

Try going to one of the best restaurants you know and ordering an entrée you truly enjoy. But first, send a message to the chef telling him to leave out everything you don't like. How good will your entrée be and how long will the restaurant remain one of the best?

I have never been accused of being a racist, being oppressive to women, and have never been involved in any sort of domestic violence.

Well then... since it hasn't happened to you i doubt it has happened to any of the other 150 million or so males either...

Wait!

Wait...

...it has happened to me. I have had black women yell at me in a Whiteness Studies class that I was racist because I was white and that I was oppressive because I was a man. I have also been insulted by dyke lesbian man hating bitches several times while I was waiting tables that I was bad because I was a man... for no reason, just bitches that needed to get **** off their chest... and the professor that got mad at me when I disagreed that I was not racist simply for being a white man... etc. That is being villified. Others have it far worse... and some have a fairy tale life... Like You! :lol: ;)

Last edited:
The poll only allows the person to respond emotionally and not practically, so I couldn't answer.

Diversity has hugely benefited the United States. Our R&D sector for both military and space exploration were largely staffed by foreign scientists at the outset. Most of our cities were physically built by immigration, like NYC. The U.S. has basically assimilated people from all over the globe into its sociopolitical structure and used them to its advantage.

Whether people are more angry about it is irrelevant to the efficacy of diversity. Had we remained isolationist we would be a second rate power by now.

But that's the problem. In WWII, we were taking in the best and the brightest other countries had to give and those people came here wanting to be Americans. Today, we're taking in the dregs of other countries and they don't want to be Americans, they want American money. They want to be foreigners living in America. They're here to take us for all they can get before they leave again. Our WWII scientists gave more than they got in return. That isn't the case anymore. The people who came to Ellis Island wanted to be American and adopt American values and views. That's not the case with new immigrants. You can make the case that diversity helped in the past. It isn't doing anything positive now.

Try going to one of the best restaurants you know and ordering an entrée you truly enjoy. But first, send a message to the chef telling him to leave out everything you don't like. How good will your entrée be and how long will the restaurant remain one of the best?

as long as there is butter it will be good...

But that's the problem. In WWII, we were taking in the best and the brightest other countries had to give and those people came here wanting to be Americans. Today, we're taking in the dregs of other countries and they don't want to be Americans, they want American money. They want to be foreigners living in America. They're here to take us for all they can get before they leave again. Our WWII scientists gave more than they got in return. That isn't the case anymore. The people who came to Ellis Island wanted to be American and adopt American values and views. That's not the case with new immigrants. You can make the case that diversity helped in the past. It isn't doing anything positive now.

Good post and worth thinking about...

Well as a white man I am paid more than others in similar positions, am over represented in upper management in most companies, am very over represented in congress, governorships, state legislators, and the presidency....

But, if another white man wants to think they have it worse than others, a view that I personally consider to be absolutely pathetic, I won't get in their way.

Curious. you surely understand that company's don't care about your skin color. It is really more a matter of the cost of replacing you. But, if you feel you've fallen between the cracks, go to your manager(or Dept. Head) and confront them with your sin. Try getting a more socially acceptable paycheck, why don't you? Or, is this your more universal and fraught with error worldview? Think votes are unfair? Stay home. That adds three to every question.
Have you cheated someone out of a better way of life? If not, give to charity when you can, and please live your own life. Stop feeling guilty and attempting to throw that on others
Regards,
CP

Good poser. What is the answer?
Regard,
CP

Well then... since it hasn't happened to you i doubt it has happened to any of the other 150 million or so males either...

Wait!

Wait...

...it has happened to me. I have had black women yell at me in a Whiteness Studies class that I was racist because I was white and that I was oppressive because I was a man. I have also been insulted by dyke lesbian man hating bitches several times while I was waiting tables that I was bad because I was a man... for no reason, just bitches that needed to get **** off their chest... and the professor that got mad at me when I disagreed that I was not racist simply for being a white man... etc. That is being villified. Others have it far worse... and some have a fairy tale life... Like You! :lol: ;)

B - Don't fall into the asterisk battle with professionals! You are so much better than that. Leave the vile would-be-words to the opposition.
Regards,
CP

B - Don't fall into the asterisk battle with professionals! You are so much better than that. Leave the vile would-be-words to the opposition.
Regards,
CP

word...

:2razz:
Curious of you; Steely Dan, or Buddhism for your handle?
Regards,
CP

Neither...

Point Break... the surfing, skydiving and bank robbing Patrick Swayze movie!!

There are many factors behind your comparison. One is that most travel before WWII was by boat. People couldn't just hop on planes and come here. Also there wasn't lucrative industry or service jobs awaiting them. It was mostly hard labor as that's all that we offered them. Many of them lived in dire poverty unless they had wealthy relatives already here. In some respects that hasn't changed.

The other huge factor is that we now live in a globalized world. People are blaming immigrants for being lazy while middle class Americans are suffering from an utterly stagnant economy that has little upward mobility. The reason is globalization. Rather than expecting immigrants to come here and work for next to nothing like WWII, the companies here simply outsourced to places like China or Bangladesh, taking all our domestic jobs with them. The whole "buy American" mentality of the 50's and 60's went out the window as soon as trade deals opened up with the poorest nations to extract cheap labor. These companies have zero loyalty to America.

And lastly... the reasons for immigration have shifted. Globalization and the IMF have created such huge economic disparities and wastelands of civilization (like Syria) that people have to immigrate because there's literally nothing left of their country or opportunity is nothing. We have globalized the extraction of resources and capital but people complain when humans themselves get globalized too. I mean what do you expect? We can't ravage a country to build our own and then expect them to not come to our door.

Really, the wealthy elites are sequestering all the money and leaving scraps for the rest of us to fight over, which includes the fight between American citizens and immigrants. There really is enough to go around but the elites have done the usual bait and switch of distracting the populace by blaming externalities like immigrants. And no I'm not some liberal commie who hates wealthy people. I'm not talking about run of the mill millionaires who run businesses, I'm talking about the top 10-20 richest families in the world who continue to sequester everything and play chess with humanity. I'm talking about the ones who created the Federal Reserve and gave trillion dollar bailouts to industry while expecting the public to accept austerity.

What we really need to do to regain control of our economy is bring the Federal Reserve under public control while fully auditing it simultaneously. We also need to go after the offshore accounts (like the Panama Papers showed us exist) to reclaim the trillions of dollars being hidden. And we need to decouple our government from big business influence because it's been a total disaster. Although immigrants can be a drain on the system, their impact is marginal compared to the largest forces at work. It's basically akin to trying to put out a trash fire while a whole building is ablaze next door. Priorities.

If we plugged the biggest leaks and then went after immigrants, it might make more sense to me; but by then we probably wouldn't care because our economy would be above board again. Instead we let ourselves be baited with an immigration problem that has frankly always been there, even in prosperous times, because some super wealthy aristocrat types are getting nervous that people might be on to them as the reason the economy is not doing so well. Immigrants have always received the blame for the domestic policy failures of governments.

Last edited:
There are many factors behind your comparison. One is that most travel before WWII was by boat. People couldn't just hop on planes and come here. Also there wasn't lucrative industry or service jobs awaiting them. It was mostly hard labor as that's all that we offered them. Many of them lived in dire poverty unless they had wealthy relatives already here. In some respects that hasn't changed.

The other huge factor is that we now live in a globalized world. People are blaming immigrants for being lazy while middle class Americans are suffering from an utterly stagnant economy that has little upward mobility. The reason is globalization. Rather than expecting immigrants to come here and work for next to nothing like WWII, the companies here simply outsourced to places like China or Bangladesh, taking all our domestic jobs with them. The whole "buy American" mentality of the 50's and 60's went out the window as soon as trade deals opened up with the poorest nations to extract cheap labor. These companies have zero loyalty to America.

And lastly... the reasons for immigration have shifted. Globalization and the IMF have created such huge economic disparities and wastelands of civilization (like Syria) that people have to immigrate because there's literally nothing left of their country or opportunity is nothing. We have globalized the extraction of resources and capital but people complain when humans themselves get globalized too. I mean what do you expect? We can't ravage a country to build our own and then expect them to not come to our door.

Really, the wealthy elites are sequestering all the money and leaving scraps for the rest of us to fight over, which includes the fight between American citizens and immigrants. There really is enough to go around but the elites have done the usual bait and switch of distracting the populace by blaming externalities like immigrants. And no I'm not some liberal commie who hates wealthy people. I'm not talking about run of the mill millionaires who run businesses, I'm talking about the top 10-20 richest families in the world who continue to sequester everything and play chess with humanity. I'm talking about the ones who created the Federal Reserve and gave trillion dollar bailouts to industry while expecting the public to accept austerity.

What we really need to do to regain control of our economy is bring the Federal Reserve under public control while fully auditing it simultaneously. We also need to go after the offshore accounts (like the Panama Papers showed us exist) to reclaim the trillions of dollars being hidden. And we need to decouple our government from big business influence because it's been a total disaster. Although immigrants can be a drain on the system, their impact is marginal compared to the largest forces at work. It's basically akin to trying to put out a trash fire while a whole building is ablaze next door. Priorities.

If we plugged the biggest leaks and then went after immigrants, it might make more sense to me; but by then we probably wouldn't care because our economy would be above board again. Instead we let ourselves be baited with an immigration problem that has frankly always been there, even in prosperous times, because some super wealthy aristocrat types are getting nervous that people might be on to them as the reason the economy is not doing so well. Immigrants have always received the blame for the domestic policy failures of governments.

Wow! What a great post! I will visit it again to maybe ask more of your position. In the meantime, please accept my Thank you for taking the time to express your ideas so well. A really good and thought provoking read.
Regards,
CP

Curious. you surely understand that company's don't care about your skin color. It is really more a matter of the cost of replacing you. But, if you feel you've fallen between the cracks, go to your manager(or Dept. Head) and confront them with your sin. Try getting a more socially acceptable paycheck, why don't you? Or, is this your more universal and fraught with error worldview? Think votes are unfair? Stay home. That adds three to every question.
Have you cheated someone out of a better way of life? If not, give to charity when you can, and please live your own life. Stop feeling guilty and attempting to throw that on others
Regards,
CP

I don't feel the slightest bit guilty. My only contention is that for a white guy to claim he is being disadvantaged or vilified in American society is pathetic.

Wait!

Wait...

Maybe it's just you.;)

My life has hardly been a fairytale, I grew up in poverty.

There's some truth to this, but keep in mind that there have always been immigrants who came with the primary idea of making money and going home. In some sociology class, the text used the name "sojourners" to the Chinese who came here round the turn of the 20th century to make money and then go home. I think the text also claimed that not that many of them ended up leaving, even though they soon discovered that the streets weren't really paved with gold.

There's some truth to this, but keep in mind that there have always been immigrants who came with the primary idea of making money and going home. In some sociology class, the text used the name "sojourners" to the Chinese who came here round the turn of the 20th century to make money and then go home. I think the text also claimed that not that many of them ended up leaving, even though they soon discovered that the streets weren't really paved with gold.

Which is true enough, although the numbers are nowhere what we're seeing today, and frankly, I don't think they were just sitting there with their hands out for government checks. But to be consistent, anyone, throughout history, who is not here legally, should be bounced. Just because it happened to a limited degree in the past doesn't mean it should continue to happen today.

I don't feel the slightest bit guilty. My only contention is that for a white guy to claim he is being disadvantaged or vilified in American society is pathetic.

What would be the objection to saying that a particular white person was disadvantaged or vilified under particular circumstances?

The dismissal seems to be based on an untenable comparison, as if all whites were claiming that they were being put down by "the Man." Richard Spenser might be putting forth some such rhetoric, but I don't think he's representative of whites everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom