• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has anyone here actually read the bible back to back?

What happens when we attempt to read the Hebrew Bible or the New Testament in some of the same ways that we read Homer or Shakespeare, Wordsworth or Proust? Is such an attempt legitimate? Should we say that the distinction between sacred and secular literature is wholly social and political, and so is not a literary distinction at all? The ancient vexed relation between poetry and belief perhaps reduces to the question of whether any single poem or story can be more sacred than any other. I myself have come to the opinion that it makes sense to assert that all strong literature is sacred, and just as much sense to insist that all of it is secular. What is less sensible, I think, is to say that some great literature is more sacred or more secular than some other.

055836fb0e2f85678960674f3138454e.jpg

Now, tell me...in this day and time, where else can Jesus' commandments be found but in God's Word?
It's not like you to dodge the questions Daisy. Do you or don't you have to be literate to be christian?

Can an illiterate person be a christian? Yes or no? And where is that answer to that question contained in the bible? Are literate people better in the eyes of your god than illiterate people? Does reading make you more of a christian? Or does reading have absolutely nothing to do with being a christian?

Yet, there are Christians all over this earth...go figure...
Which in no way answers the question.

Try again.

Can a person who has never read the Bible be a Christian?

A simple yes or no answer is all thats necessary.

It's not like you to dodge the questions Daisy. Do you or don't you have to be literate to be christian?
Mambo, before belief, comes knowledge...would you not agree? Whether someone can read on their own, be taught to read, or perhaps be taught what is in the Bible...people probably learn the truth in as many different ways as there are people...take the Ethiopian, for example...he evidently knew the scriptures, was even reading from Isaiah when Philip approached him, yet he did not understand what he was reading...

The man was a high official under Queen Candace of Ethiopia; he “was in charge of all her treasure.” (Acts 8:27) So he must have been a busy man with many responsibilities. Yet, he took time to worship Jehovah. He was not content with learning the truth; he acted on what he learned. He therefore traveled all the way from Ethiopia in order to worship Jehovah at the temple in Jerusalem. That journey must have involved a great deal of time and expense, but the man spared no effort where Jehovah’s worship was concerned.

The Ethiopian man “had gone to Jerusalem to worship.” (Acts 8:27) He must therefore have been a Jewish proselyte; he had converted to Judaism. No doubt he had learned about Jehovah from the sacred writings of the Hebrew Scriptures. Still, he was eager to learn more. In fact, when Philip met that official on the road, what did Philip find the man doing? Poring over a scroll of the prophet Isaiah’s writings. (Acts 8:28) That was solid spiritual food. The court official was not content simply to learn a few basics; he wanted to keep learning.

The Ethiopian learned from Philip some vital new truths, including the identity of the Messiah. (Acts 8:34, 35) This court official was surely touched to learn what Jesus had done for him. How would he respond? He could have remained as he was, a respected Jewish proselyte. Instead, his love for Jehovah and His Son grew. He was moved to make the life-changing decision to get baptized as a follower of Jesus Christ. Seeing that the man was ready, Philip baptized him.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2023321

Mambo, before belief, comes knowledge...would you not agree?
Perhaps - but not necessarily. And certainly not from literacy. Belief can come from direct experience. Belief can come from epiphany. "Belief" can be inculcated from birth, inheriting the beliefs of one's own family - which as I'm sure you know is quite common.
Whether someone can read on their own, be taught to read, or perhaps be taught what is in the Bible...people probably learn the truth in as many different ways as there are people...take the Ethiopian, for example...he evidently knew the scriptures, was even reading from Isaiah when Philip approached him, yet he did not understand what he was reading...

The man was a high official under Queen Candace of Ethiopia; he “was in charge of all her treasure.” (Acts 8:27) So he must have been a busy man with many responsibilities. Yet, he took time to worship Jehovah. He was not content with learning the truth; he acted on what he learned. He therefore traveled all the way from Ethiopia in order to worship Jehovah at the temple in Jerusalem. That journey must have involved a great deal of time and expense, but the man spared no effort where Jehovah’s worship was concerned.

The Ethiopian man “had gone to Jerusalem to worship.” (Acts 8:27) He must therefore have been a Jewish proselyte; he had converted to Judaism. No doubt he had learned about Jehovah from the sacred writings of the Hebrew Scriptures. Still, he was eager to learn more. In fact, when Philip met that official on the road, what did Philip find the man doing? Poring over a scroll of the prophet Isaiah’s writings. (Acts 8:28) That was solid spiritual food. The court official was not content simply to learn a few basics; he wanted to keep learning.

The Ethiopian learned from Philip some vital new truths, including the identity of the Messiah. (Acts 8:34, 35) This court official was surely touched to learn what Jesus had done for him. How would he respond? He could have remained as he was, a respected Jewish proselyte. Instead, his love for Jehovah and His Son grew. He was moved to make the life-changing decision to get baptized as a follower of Jesus Christ. Seeing that the man was ready, Philip baptized him.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2023321
And these biblical tales will never be read by the illiterate. Nor should it matter if they ever even open a bible, because belief is not dependent on biblical familiarity. I dare say that the overwhelming preponderance of people in this country who identify themselves as "christian", have very rarely even opened a bible - if at all.

Belief can come from direct experience. Belief can come from epiphany. "Belief" can be inculcated from birth, inheriting the beliefs of one's own family - which as I'm sure you know is quite common.
Which still stems from knowledge...no knowledge/no belief...

And these biblical tales will never be read by the illiterate. Nor should it matter if they ever even open a bible, because belief is not dependent on biblical familiarity. I dare say that the overwhelming preponderance of people in this country who identify themselves as "christian", have very rarely even opened a bible - if at all.
You'd be surprised and I'm not talking about this country only...there are missionaries all over the world...

Can an illiterate person be a christian? Yes or no? And where is that answer to that question contained in the bible? Are literate people better in the eyes of your god than illiterate people? Does reading make you more of a christian? Or does reading have absolutely nothing to do with being a christian?
Just as I thought, a long winded, nonsensical answer by daisy to a simple yes or no question.

I dare say that the overwhelming preponderance of people in this country who identify themselves as "christian", have very rarely even opened a bible - if at all.
Prove it.

You'd be surprised and I'm not talking about this country only...there are missionaries all over the world...
Mostly in an effort to brain wash people.

Kinda like what missionaries did to the Native American Indian in the 19th Century.

I'll feed and clothe you just believe in my god.

Mostly in an effort to brain wash people.

Kinda like what missionaries did to the Native American Indian in the 19th Century.

I'll feed and clothe you just believe in my god.

it worked better than the pagan indian gods or the atheist gods.

go with what works gbois, and live happily ever after.

0081_22.gif...happily ever after.

The End.

Any claims made about reading every word in the Bible are false. All claims made about completely understanding the entire contents of the Bible are factually untrue.

Which still stems from knowledge...no knowledge/no belief...
Does it? You assume that what is being taught is correct. Is the truth. Belief often comes from someone else's belief - which may be no more than superstition.
And teachers, too.

The demons believe...obedience makes one a Christian...

They believe who Jesus is.
Meaning - they know the IDENTITY of Jesus.

Mark 3:11
And whenever the unclean spirits saw him, they fell down before him and cried out, “You are the Son of God.”

Luke 4:41
And demons also came out of many, crying, “You are the Son of God!”
But he rebuked them and would not allow them to speak, because they knew that he was the Christ.

But that's not the same as having faith in Him.

Demons don't have FAITH in Christ.
Otherwise........they wouldn't be demons.
They'll be children of God.

Last edited:
055836fb0e2f85678960674f3138454e.jpg

Now, tell me...in this day and time, where else can Jesus' commandments be found but in God's Word?

But, you don't have to literally read the Bible.
Are you saying..........tribesmen who were converted by missionaries have literally read the Bible?
Is their Christianity diminished in the eyes of GOD.....................just because they haven't read the Bible?
I don't think so.

Jesus said:

Matthew 28

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

The Christian who have knowledge of GOD's Word, would teach them about Jesus' commandments!

People can read the Bible all they want - but what good is reading if they don't follow it?
What good is knowledge, if one doesn't apply it in his OWN life?

How many times is it written in the Scriptures that we don't remove or add to the Bible - and yet, we see many denominations insert their own belief in it?
Corrupting it?

Christ will live in, and work in the heart of those who have faith in Him!
People who have faith in Christ - whether they read the Bible or not - will
REFLECT CHRIST in their lives.

Last edited:
The demons believe...obedience makes one a Christian...

The “faith” of demons is useless, even though they tremble at what they know to be true.
People who say they “believe” in God while showing no evidence of faith have a level of “belief” similar to that of demons.
In pointing out that even demons believe certain things about God, James implies that one who has faith but isn’t showing it by his works is in a practical sense of no more usefulness than those demons.
One’s faith doesn’t deliver others from need, the works do (James 2:16).
One’s faith doesn’t provide mercy to someone, the works do (James 2:13).
James further reminds his readers, whom he has already identified as brothers who have faith in Jesus Christ (James 2:1), that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered Isaac as a sacrifice (James 2:21)
and that, when Abraham took that action, the Scripture was fulfilled that said Abraham had been justified by belief in God (James 2:23, quoting Genesis 15:6).

Obedience.
Shown by works! by our actions!

Which is still knowledge, though it be false...

All JW's consider themselves teachers...we're in 239 lands...

False teachers!

JW had changed terms, added and removed from the Scriotures..............to suit the narrative they want.

JW's teachings, is not GOD's WORDS.

What's the difference between JW bible and QUEEN James bible? 🤷
None.
They've both corrupted the Words of God.

I’ve tried before I’ve tried reading it I have tried via audiobook but have never been able to get through it. The Old Testament especially is difficult the constant references to where people are from and what they do and why god wants to screw them over to prove a point. There is very difficult books I’ve got through in the past like Moby Dick and Plato republic but has anyone actually got through the bible here ?

Have you tried an audio version ?

Which is still knowledge, though it be false...

All JW's consider themselves teachers...we're in 239 lands...
what is 239

Back
Top Bottom