• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has anyone here actually read the bible back to back?

Real blank

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I’ve tried before I’ve tried reading it I have tried via audiobook but have never been able to get through it. The Old Testament especially is difficult the constant references to where people are from and what they do and why god wants to screw them over to prove a point. There is very difficult books I’ve got through in the past like Moby Dick and Plato republic but has anyone actually got through the bible here ?

Absolutely...many times...

Yes ... I read it twice, front to back, as that seemed like the correct way to read it.
The first time was about 53 or 54 years ago. Then again a couple of years after the first time.
Needless to say, I raced through the list of who begat whom. It was no use to me, and I certainly wasn't going to remember any of it.

It was no better the second time around. It just confirmed my extremely low opinion of the god it portrayed, and reinforced the very strong impression that it was certainly not the word of god, but merely the words of men.

I think the question should be broadened to which version was read. Just a thought.

Plus there are some "chapters" missing in all versions.

I think many of you know, there is not just "one" bible.

I think the question should be broadened to which version was read. Just a thought.

Yes, all that has to be considered when reading/studying God's Word...

Yep. Several times. Cover to cover.

Will probably do it again too.

Most people have no clue what’s in there. They just project stuff they hear and their own latest opinions to it.

“As the good book says, if you spit in the air, it lands in your face.”
-Tevye, in “Fiddler on the Roof”

I’ve tried before I’ve tried reading it I have tried via audiobook but have never been able to get through it. The Old Testament especially is difficult the constant references to where people are from and what they do and why god wants to screw them over to prove a point. There is very difficult books I’ve got through in the past like Moby Dick and Plato republic but has anyone actually got through the bible here ?
Not sequentially. I've read all of the Christian bible, every book, every chapter, every verse, just not in sequence that most are in.

I'm no longer religious, but yes I've read it. I went to a Southern Baptist High School and we had Bible classes so it was required reading. One of the most entertaining fiction books ever written.

It's kind of important, before you read the Bible cover to cover, to decide what your purpose in doing so is.

If you're merely curious about Christianity but haven't yet decided to jump in head first then read parts of the Bible. Reading Genesis and Exodus then skipping to the Gospels of Matthew and Luke is fine. Doing that will give you a good idea whether or not you want to dig a little deeper.

If your purpose in reading the Bible is to explore your faith a little more deeply then you probably know SOMETHING of Genesis and Exodus so read Job and Joshua from the OT and then Acts and Romans from the NT.

If you want to study the Bible then read Daniel and the Gospel of John FIRST to get a little idea of what you're going to be in for.

If all you want to do is hop on internet forums and bash Christians then DEFINITELY go cover to cover and take lots of notes because you will need them if you run into someone that has spent most of their life reading, rereading, discussing and teaching the Word.

There are lots of people to do it. Most are devout Christians but not all. To me, there was very little benefit to warrant the work involved. At 62 years, I have never for one moment, regretted not reading the entire Bible and its not going on my bucket list.

Not worth my time. Isaac Asimov on the other hand...

At 62 years, I have never for one moment, regretted not reading the entire Bible and its not going on my bucket list.
By the same token, BTT, I have never for one moment, regretted reading the entire Bible time after time, and each time, learning something new/valuable...

I have. I actually enjoyed a number of the OT books the most in terms of general reading. Specifically the whole narrative of David is great and an interesting read. Daniel’s story was another one like that as well.

Really appreciate the response guys. Maybe I’m just trying to do it to say I have but I find it a real struggle.

??? If you think the words in the bible are the words of god, you are mistaken.

please read it again and re-think your statement.

blessings, april 8 not mistaken

Really appreciate the response guys. Maybe I’m just trying to do it to say I have but I find it a real struggle.
Keep at it. I never cease to be amazed that no matter how many times I read a book or even just a passage I find new meaning and, most importantly, new purpose in reading more.

I'd call it an anthology, comprised of many short stories created by and modified by many different persons, none of whom were a God.

Keep at it. I never cease to be amazed that no matter how many times I read a book or even just a passage I find new meaning and, most importantly, new purpose in reading more.

and Boat Loads of commentaries available in book form and the net if you get stuck.

The sad thing is I was such an avid reader in general , but it becomes increasingly more difficult with the phone etc

Back
Top Bottom