• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Happy Samhain

Hi.

We used to have a mod who was Asatru. What flavor are you?

I guess the closest thing to what I believe is gaiaism with a little buddhism thrown in for good measure.

I guess the closest thing to what I believe is gaiaism with a little buddhism thrown in for good measure.

Are you part of a tradition or group, or a solo practitioner?

Are you part of a tradition or group, or a solo practitioner?

I am a solo practitioner, but I do go to rituals at times with a local generic pagan group here that does public rituals.

You are not a Pagan. "Pagan" as a word was co-opted by 4th century Christians to describe those who were polytheistic shamanists. Prior to the 4th century and for hundreds of years later, the Pagans were a specific tribe of the Scythians who dominated the Russian Steppes, eastern Europe and much of what is now modern eastern Turkey who had a habit of roasting early Christians they caught (they did the same to all who did not fight them). The Pagans inhabited much of what is now the most eastern parts of modern Romania, Albania and Bulgaria. They were never conquered by the Greeks or Romans. They are the people, the Scythians, who are believe to have domesticated the horse. Nomads, they had no written language and they built nothing, not buildings, not monuments. What little we knew of them until fairly recently, is from mentions in late classical Greek and early Roman literature, describing them as the fiercest of warriors, extremely mobile, intricately tatooed with red and blue pigments, a people who viewed war as a sport. It is now believed the tales of the women warriors the Greeks called Amazons, were based on Scythian female warriors, who were as common as male warriors, and whom terrified both the Greeks and Romans as undefeatable because of the prowess of the women, and no, they did not cut off a breast. It is also believed now, that the Scythians specifically bred as war and hunting dogs the first mastiffs, for size and strength. Remains of those dogs have been found in Scythian burial mounds showing these proto-mastiffs to be as large as black bears.

Recently in Russia, eastern Turkey, and eastern Europe, archeologists have been digging up Scythian, including Pagan, burial mounds, rich in intricate gold, silver, ivory and amber artifacts, refined beads and exquisite jewelry, along with finely crafted and decorated bronze, wooden and steel weapons, often inscribed with images of animals and early symbols of the later northern gods. That more and more of these burial mounds are being found unlooted is amazing in and of itself. If you want to learn more, start reading at some of the Russian archeological sites and sites like Ancient Origins. Ancient Origins | Reconstructing the story of humanity's past

Regardless of what you call yourself, you are not a Pagan. However, enjoy your Druid harvest Samhain celebration. Odin "The Wanderer" rules.

American Religion Statistics: Trends in U.S. Religious Affiliations | Pew Research Center

This one pins it around 1.5% for all pagan and folkloric traditions, but includes a couple odd balls like Unitarians (who could be anything) and Scientologists. That's about 5 million total. But, Scientologists are only about 25,000, and Unitarians only about 200,000. So, the vast majority of those 5 million fall under the large umbrella of pagan, traditional, pan- or polytheistic, or folkloric practices.

No, they aren't synonymous. But to say "in America we celebrate Halloween" is erroneous. People have a variety of death-related celebrations during this time of year, and you don't get to tell them they can't celebrate that "in America." This is the melting pot, dude. Get over it.

Whether she has ridiculed other religions doesn't really say anything about whether she is being genuine about paganism or Samhain. Plenty of Christians on here ridicule non-Christians (like you, for example...), but that doesn't make them any less sincere about being Christian. Should I assume you are lying if you wish someone a merry Christmas?

I still think your numbers on pagans in America are overinflated. But I can't really look anything up at the moment as I am driving, LOL. Don't worry, I'm using voice to text.

I honestly don't see how saying, in America we celebrate Halloween, is in any way erroneous. Since by and large, we do. Meaning, the vast majority of Americans have never even heard the term Samhain. I myself never heard of it until recently, and I am over a half a century old, and fairly well read, lol. And no, I'm not attempting to tell people what they can and cannot celebrate in America. I am merely pointing out, the vast majority of Americans celebrate Halloween. I do not celebrate Samhain or Sam Hill or Yosemite Sam, or any other Pagan rituals, inadvertently or otherwise. I may celebrate holidays which were instituted to compete with Pagan rituals, but I pour no pagan meaning whatsoever into any of my celebrations.

And for the record, no, I do not as a matter of course ridicule non-believers. I may give Tit for Tat in a heated debate, but I never set out to ridicule people simply for the sake of it. Feel free to post quotes of me doing that, and I will be happy to apologize.

I still think your numbers on pagans in America are overinflated. But I can't really look anything up at the moment as I am driving, LOL. Don't worry, I'm using voice to text.

I honestly don't see how saying, in America we celebrate Halloween, is in any way erroneous. Since by and large, we do. Meaning, the vast majority of Americans have never even heard the term Samhain. I myself never heard of it until recently, and I am over a half a century old, and fairly well read, lol. And no, I'm not attempting to tell people what they can and cannot celebrate in America. I am merely pointing out, the vast majority of Americans celebrate Halloween. I do not celebrate Samhain or Sam Hill or Yosemite Sam, or any other Pagan rituals, inadvertently or otherwise. I may celebrate holidays which were instituted to compete with Pagan rituals, but I pour no pagan meaning whatsoever into any of my celebrations.

And for the record, no, I do not as a matter of course ridicule non-believers. I may give Tit for Tat in a heated debate, but I never set out to ridicule people simply for the sake of it. Feel free to post quotes of me doing that, and I will be happy to apologize.

Well, then you can take that up with Pew Research Center, since you seem to think you know better than every study on earth.

So what if some people haven't heard of it? Some people haven't heard of All Souls. Also, it depends where you are. Where I'm from, other death holidays had full-blown parades every single year in the city. Usually Dia De Los Muertos, but there was also a pagan event in the park every year. Perhaps wherever you are is more insular, but that doesn't say anything about the rest of the country. That's just your little insular enclave. Also, being a minority does not mean you get to say to them we don't celebrate that "in America" -- which is literally what you said.

You did it on page one where you told her celebrating Samhain apparently isn't what "America" does. Surely I don't need to tell you what you just said a few hours ago. If I do, I recommend you get that checked out by a doctor.

Well, then you can take that up with Pew Research Center, since you seem to think you know better than every study on earth.

So what if some people haven't heard of it? Some people haven't heard of All Souls. Also, it depends where you are. Where I'm from, other death holidays had full-blown parades every single year in the city. Usually Dia De Los Muertos, but there was also a pagan event in the park every year. Perhaps wherever you are is more insular, but that doesn't say anything about the rest of the country. That's just your little insular enclave. Also, being a minority does not mean you get to say to them we don't celebrate that "in America" -- which is literally what you said.

You did it on page one where you told her celebrating Samhain apparently isn't what "America" does. Surely I don't need to tell you what you just said a few hours ago. If I do, I recommend you get that checked out by a doctor.

Alrighty then. I thought you and I had a new and improved rapport. I guess I was mistaken.

Alrighty then. I thought you and I had a new and improved rapport. I guess I was mistaken.

I'm not going to stay quiet about rudeness to make nice online. Try just not being rude. :shrug:

I am surprised no one sees through this new poster...SMH...

Whatever. Perhaps you should look in the mirror.

Right, telling people not to be dicks to others is rude. How dare I expect adult behavior from other adults. :lol: As you were, then.

American Religion Statistics: Trends in U.S. Religious Affiliations | Pew Research Center

This one pins it around 1.5% for all pagan and folkloric traditions, but includes a couple odd balls like Unitarians (who could be anything) and Scientologists. That's about 5 million total. But, Scientologists are only about 25,000, and Unitarians only about 200,000. So, the vast majority of those 5 million fall under the large umbrella of pagan, traditional, pan- or polytheistic, or folkloric practices.

No, they aren't synonymous. But to say "in America we celebrate Halloween" is erroneous. People have a variety of death-related celebrations during this time of year, and you don't get to tell them they can't celebrate that "in America." This is the melting pot, dude. Get over it.

Whether she has ridiculed other religions doesn't really say anything about whether she is being genuine about paganism or Samhain. Plenty of Christians on here ridicule non-Christians (like you, for example...), but that doesn't make them any less sincere about being Christian. Should I assume you are lying if you wish someone a merry Christmas?

All Christian holidays are usurped pagan feasts.

You are not a Pagan. "Pagan" as a word was co-opted by 4th century Christians to describe those who were polytheistic shamanists. Prior to the 4th century and for hundreds of years later, the Pagans were a specific tribe of the Scythians who dominated the Russian Steppes, eastern Europe and much of what is now modern eastern Turkey who had a habit of roasting early Christians they caught (they did the same to all who did not fight them). The Pagans inhabited much of what is now the most eastern parts of modern Romania, Albania and Bulgaria. They were never conquered by the Greeks or Romans. They are the people, the Scythians, who are believe to have domesticated the horse. Nomads, they had no written language and they built nothing, not buildings, not monuments. What little we knew of them until fairly recently, is from mentions in late classical Greek and early Roman literature, describing them as the fiercest of warriors, extremely mobile, intricately tatooed with red and blue pigments, a people who viewed war as a sport. It is now believed the tales of the women warriors the Greeks called Amazons, were based on Scythian female warriors, who were as common as male warriors, and whom terrified both the Greeks and Romans as undefeatable because of the prowess of the women, and no, they did not cut off a breast. It is also believed now, that the Scythians specifically bred as war and hunting dogs the first mastiffs, for size and strength. Remains of those dogs have been found in Scythian burial mounds showing these proto-mastiffs to be as large as black bears.

Recently in Russia, eastern Turkey, and eastern Europe, archeologists have been digging up Scythian, including Pagan, burial mounds, rich in intricate gold, silver, ivory and amber artifacts, refined beads and exquisite jewelry, along with finely crafted and decorated bronze, wooden and steel weapons, often inscribed with images of animals and early symbols of the later northern gods. That more and more of these burial mounds are being found unlooted is amazing in and of itself. If you want to learn more, start reading at some of the Russian archeological sites and sites like Ancient Origins. Ancient Origins | Reconstructing the story of humanity's past

Regardless of what you call yourself, you are not a Pagan. However, enjoy your Druid harvest Samhain celebration. Odin "The Wanderer" rules.

This was the crankiest, yet informative post I've ever read. I use the term pagan in the more modern sense, but if that usage offends you, please feel free to call me a heathen or whatever suits. I'm definitely not a druid, modern druids are weird as **** and I'm not into human sacrifice, which may or may not have been a druidic practice.

Regardless, Hailsa!

Samhain isn't widely celebrated in the U.S., but that doesn't mean that people don't celebrate it. Thanks for sharing, though.

Samhain isn't widely celebrated in the U.S., but that doesn't mean that people don't celebrate it. Thanks for sharing, though.

Well, happy Samhain to all 7 of you.

An atheist?

No. I'm not an atheist. My husband is, though.

I definitely believe there's a there there. I just don't have a name for it, and it's hard to put it into words. I started in Christianity, that didn't fit. Went to atheism, that wasn't a good fit either. Was introduced to earth-based religions and that came the closest for me to what I am. But after being evangelical, I'm no longer much of a joiner. My beliefs and practices are my own, they are satisfying to me, and I don't need a lot of group reinforcement at this point in my life.

Well, happy Samhain to all 7 of you.

Revisit what Jesus said about the narrow road and the wide road. The fact is there aren't all that many actual Christians in the U.S. either, just a lot of people who use the name.

No. I'm not an atheist. My husband is, though.

I definitely believe there's a there there. I just don't have a name for it, and it's hard to put it into words. I started in Christianity, that didn't fit. Went to atheism, that wasn't a good fit either. Was introduced to earth-based religions and that came the closest for me to what I am. But after being evangelical, I'm no longer much of a joiner. My beliefs and practices are my own, they are satisfying to me, and I don't need a lot of group reinforcement at this point in my life.

Thanks for the answer, although I am not sure what a non-earth based religion is.

Revisit what Jesus said about the narrow road and the wide road. The fact is there aren't all that many actual Christians in the U.S. either, just a lot of people who use the name.

I don't necessarily disagree. It's the sad reality.

What is Christmas?

Bah humbug? That's a shame. All the same, best wishes to you and yours throughout this whatever you want to call it season. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom