• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun control ad - 1981

Why is mass murder the concern? Why is the number of dead over time only an issue when time is short, and not when time is long? Why does one outrage you and not the other?

Because mass shootings are the worst symptom of America's saturation with guns...

But hey, we can list all the gun homicides if you want.

From your link:

"The Coast Guard Today
The Coast Guard is both a federal law enforcement agency and a military force, and therefore is a faithful protector of the United States in peacetime and war. In times of peace, the Coast Guard operates as part of the Department of Homeland Security, enforcing the nation's laws at sea, protecting the marine environment, guarding the nation's vast coastline and ports, and performing vital life saving missions. In times of war, or at the direction of the President, the Coast Guard serves under the Department of the Navy, defending the nation against terrorism and foreign threats."

Dude...the US Coast Guard is one of FIVE recognized branches of the US military.

You don't like it - take it up with the Pentagon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces

If you're talking about Katrina not all of them complied and certainly not all of them meekly complied.

Most did.

Most will.

If not, the US government has more than enough firepower to deal with those who refuse to comply with the Constitution of the United States of America.

Not in this country. Not to the extent that you talk about it happening. Not with the 2A which even you admit will not change or go away....

Clearly you've not been paying attention

No significant gun control can happen until the 2A is repealed.

...and then the SWAT team might get shot....

I think statistics would show SWAT teams kill way more than are killed.

They are, after all, trained to do just that.

...because another terrific thing about this terrific country the USA is that you're innocent until proven guilty....

Actually this only applies to people, not inanimate objects.

So a children's toy, deemed dangerous, can be banned from sale.
I think it's pretty clear that guns are dangerous.

...and its you that needs to get an education my friend, not me.

Sad to say, you don't even know how much you need education.

Most did.

Most will.

If not, the US government has more than enough firepower to deal with those who refuse to comply with the Constitution of the United States of America.

Since when does the federal government use "firepower" as a mode of arrest?

And the discharge of firearms is also banned in most public places....

yet people keep doing it...espectially in schools.

But take away their guns and what will they use - water pistols...I'm kinda OK with that.

...its people that use the guns to kill thousands of times a year...

So if you took away their guns, how would they kill ?

...and we saw how that worked out with the nazis and the commies and the British empire when they ruled over what now is the USA....

SMH

Yeah...commies

Since when does the federal government use "firepower" as a mode of arrest?

Oh Jeez !!!!

Yeah...when does a US cop EVER pull his/her gun out and gun someone down ???

I mean it never happens right ?

"Political Power comes from the barrel of a Gun" - every Republican politician knows Mao's most famous quote.

But Russia has really strict gun laws. Aren't they as peaceful there as they are in Amsterdam?

Maybe. Just about every developing or developed nation on the planet has pretty strict gun laws. Only the US, in the last 30 years or so, has started to think that regulating this particular dangerous equipment is some kind of tyranny. It’s an odd phase it’s going through, I am thinking.

Maybe. Just about every developing or developed nation on the planet has pretty strict gun laws. Only the US, in the last 30 years or so, has started to think that regulating this particular dangerous equipment is some kind of tyranny. It’s an odd phase it’s going through, I am thinking.

None of those countries have an individual right to keep and bear arms, and some of the developing/developed countries with strict gun laws still have high rates of violence, homicide and intentional death rates.

Regulations that are Constitutional, effective, enforceable and necessary aren't tyrannical. Those that fail to meet this requirements could be.

So if you're attacked and you fear for you life in a public place, you may not draw a firearm and protect yourself ???

I guess I need to throw away my Georgia State issued Concealed Carry License !!!!
You have a carry license? If you do than you're contradicting yourself and you're being hypocritical. I also don't see what you're doing in the state of GA if you don't like guns as its a very pro gun state. NJ or CA or NY or Massachusetts or D.C. would be much more to your liking.

The discharge of firearms is banned in most public places except in certain situations such as if you're defending yourself from possible death or grave bodily harm

Yeah...and if they had water pistols instead of real guns what would the net result in lives lost be ?
If the bad guys had water pistols there would be lots of innocent lives saved, but if the good guys had just water pistols there would be more innocent lives lost than there would be saved. And bad guys will always have real guns instead of water pistols no matter what laws are passed.

Don't talk about stuff about which you know nothing

I think the Nazis had more than enough guns to commit their atrocities.
Even though history was not my strongest subject, Im quite sure Im more knowledgeable on history than you. And yes the Nazis obviously did have all the guns they needed to commit the atrocities they did, and they were the government. Hence the Nazis were an example of what happens when only the government has guns since it was only the Nazis, and not the people they oppressed, who had guns.

One: Don't be so naive
Its the way the country is run, its not a matter of being naive, in this country you're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Look it up, do some research on United States law.

Two: So we should let an individual buy all the guns and ammo he/she wants
Yes.
and take action only AFTER he/she uses them ??
Depends what he/she uses them for. There are many good and legal ways to use guns.
Eg: Mr Paddock in Vegas.
People who abuse guns, as Mr Paddock did, should be stopped and dealt with properly, but in the case of Mr. Paddock, even if there were the kinds of bans that you've talked about, even if the USA had Japan style gun control, with the money and connections Mr. Paddock had he would've been easily able to get all the guns he wanted illegally, even importing them into the country as other posters have mentioned. I've also pointed out that he could've committed a vehicular assault against the crowd. He could've crashed a plane into the crowd and killed many more people than he did by shooting them, a point which has whooshed over your head.

And only that one in hind sight

Sorry, we have NO idea what you or any gun owner (assuming you're a gun owner) may not do with that gun.
Over 99 percent of gun owners in the USA who get their guns legally do not use their guns for crime or for anything they shouldn't use them for. They use their guns for good legal purposes.

So ban it.
That would be unconstitutional and unAmerican.

Not doing so is not worth the risk...
There are many things that we do or allow in this country which you could say is not worth the risk.

You have no need for owning guns...
Sure I do, as to lots of other people.

society has a definite need for you NOT to have guns.
No it doesn't, because I don't use my guns for the wrong purposes and its the same with most lawful gun owners.

All privately owned guns need to be banned.
Except for certain olympic rifles and certain shotguns for farmers, as you've talked about before.
If you've got a handgun and a CCW like you've said you do, than you're being hypocritical.

Because mass shootings are the worst symptom of America's saturation with guns...

But hey, we can list all the gun homicides if you want.
And other countries have got mass bombings and mass vehicular assaults.

In a situation like that it would be the government that would be not complying with the Constitution, not the people who don't turn in their guns.

No significant gun control can happen until the 2A is repealed.
Which isn't going to happen.

I think statistics would show SWAT teams kill way more than are killed.

They are, after all, trained to do just that.
Even SWAT teams will not be that effective against 100 million lawful gun owners who refuse to turn in their guns.

Actually this only applies to people, not inanimate objects.

So a children's toy, deemed dangerous, can be banned from sale.
I think it's pretty clear that guns are dangerous.
Dude, a gun is not a child's toy. The fact that you suggest it is shows that you're clearly not capable of having a rational discussion.

Sad to say, you don't even know how much you need education.
I've got a college degree. What have you got? Do you even have a high school diploma? Have you even finished Jr High?

Next to any Republican President - Clinton, Hilary and Obama are saints.

Both Bill and Hillary are devils compared to Donald Trump although Hillary is the bigger devil of the two.

yet people keep doing it...espectially in schools.

But take away their guns and what will they use - water pistols...I'm kinda OK with that.
They will use real guns because you can't take away guns from criminals since criminals will always have guns. And they shoot up schools because schools are "gun free zones" where they won't get shot back at.

So if you took away their guns, how would they kill ?
With knives, bombs, vehicles, ect. Although you will never take away their guns in the first place.

Only the US, in the last 30 years or so, has started to think that regulating this particular dangerous equipment is some kind of tyranny.

No, gun laws are stricter now than they were 30 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom