• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Graham calls for invesstigation into Russian hacking into DNC!

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Lindsey Graham calls on Congress to investigate Russia over U.S. election meddling - Washington Times

First, do you think that they ought to investigate the possibility that the Russians were involved in hacking the DNC and using it to help Trump get elected?
Second, if it is discovered that Trump or the GOP was involved in helping the Russians, what punishment should they receive?
Finally, if it is shown that the Russians were behind the hacking, how should they and any other party be punished?
This is of course only supposition, but it seems that the government must have strong info to make this public.

Lindsey Graham calls on Congress to investigate Russia over U.S. election meddling - Washington Times

First, do you think that they ought to investigate the possibility that the Russians were involved in hacking the DNC and using it to help Trump get elected?
Second, if it is discovered that Trump or the GOP was involved in helping the Russians, what punishment should they receive?
Finally, if it is shown that the Russians were behind the hacking, how should they and any other party be punished?
This is of course only supposition, but it seems that the government must have strong info to make this public.

We should be building bridges with Russia, not barriers.

This isn't a video game.

The US government has a long history of making claims and allegations with no proof whatsoever. Graham is a clown. I must be bored as hell to even reply. :mrgreen:

My respect for Lindsey Graham always seems to be growing! :thumbs:

This isn't a video game.
Putin is a conniving expansionist dictator, and despicable as the come.

Rather than build a bridge for him to here, maybe you can go visit him there! ;)

This isn't a video game.

You might want to tell the guy you voted for for vice president that then.

“I think there’s no question that the evidence continues to point in that direction, and we should follow it where it leads,” Pence, who is currently Indiana governor, said in an interview on “Fox News Sunday.” “And there should be severe consequences to Russia or any sovereign nation that is compromising the privacy or the security of the United States of America.”

link...

Last edited:
So you want to be building bridges with a man who wants to rebuild the USSR, including taking over the countries that broke away from it years ago? He has already done that in Crimea and annexed part of Ukraine. You want to build bridges with a country that probably hacked the DNC and involved itself in our election, becuse it got your man elected? You really have to ask yourself what they will do next? Will they go after Trump to really throw our country into turmoil, so they can use it to do as they please while we are focused inwardly? They might wait to do so until Trump kills all investigations into the Russian hacking. You must not be old enough to understand what the KGB has done in the past. Putin was part of that organization and still thinks like he is in the KGB.

You might want to tell the guy you voted for for vice president that then.

“I think there’s no question that the evidence continues to point in that direction, and we should follow it where it leads,” Pence, who is currently Indiana governor, said in an interview on “Fox News Sunday.” “And there should be severe consequences to Russia or any sovereign nation that is compromising the privacy or the security of the United States of America.”

link...

How is hacking the DNC (or any other private non-profit) a national security issue? Are we going to deny that the NSA and other US intelligence agencies do far more than hack email accounts in foreign nations? It seems that the "outage" is more over the release of the data than obtaining it.

How is hacking the DNC (or any other private non-profit) a national security issue? Are we going to deny that the NSA and other US intelligence agencies do far more than hack email accounts in foreign nations? It seems that the "outage" is more over the release of the data than obtaining it.

You don't think police agencies should investigate crimes? huh?

Congess is not a police agency. You still have not explaned any national security interest in the DNC email release.

US Hacking Laws | Hacker Law

Somebody hacked into the private accounts of one our largest and most influential political organizations. That's a crime. Somebody needs to look into that. Certainly if someone hacked CitiBank, we wouldn't just turn the other way, right?

Some of the liberal hawks are whacko cuckoo for coco puffs.

Advocating war with another country. Good thing Hillary didn't become president.

Somebody hacked into the private accounts of one our largest and most influential political organizations. That's a crime. Somebody needs to look into that. Certainly if someone hacked CitiBank, we wouldn't just turn the other way, right?

Congress did not investigate the Target or Home Depot hacks. Congress is not a law enforcement agency.

I think the problem is who did the hacking and for what reason. Anytime some one hacks a pprivate server so as to interfere with our election process, it becomes a national security issue. Don't be so stupid as to act this isn't what it seems. And if Trump or the GOP was involved it becomes more tan a national security issue. It will impeachment time for a lot of politico's.

Yes, I do think they should investigate.

If Russia did hack the DNC, they should face sanctions and we should hack Sputnik next Putin election or the emails of one of his friends. Seems likely that Putin has a lot more to hide than the DNC.

If, and only if, the Trump campaign had any role or knowledge in the DNC hack, he should be impeached.

Just another witch hunt. What authority do we have if Russian leadership DID do this? To quote our famous SoS? What difference does it make?

The problem with any investigation of Russia is that no matter what the evidence is, the Russians will never admit to it and when they don't, then what? It becomes one giant pissing match with us accusing them and them turning around and exposing every little dirty trick we've pulled, which there are many, no doubt.

We better be careful with this. What is being alleged is that they were behind the hacking of Podesta's emails. Julian Assange has vehimately denied this. Our "agencies" have suggested it's true. I think it's a can of worms.

A non-friendly country's entire government at the highest levels conspired to hack not only the DNC, but several governmental systems in the State Department, Pentagon, and DOJ... of course Congress should investigate! If it ignores it because the hack got the result the majority wanted, then what the hell good is it for the people of America?

Putin has already taken credit for it publicly. That arrogant asshole believes that he personally has chosen our next president. How can we as a people let that stand?

So Putin hacked into the minds of the EC Reps, hmmmm, I wonder how he did that since they have not even voted yet. As for the popular vote, Very Unlikely, but hey it gives people stuff to speculate about.

17 of our intelligence agencies are saying Russia probably hacked us. Pence is saying Russia probably hacked us. Russia is saying Russia hacked us.

Thanks, I did read the Esquire article. Though I am not a computer savvy person, that story contains many "speculate" "surmise" and other rather vague terms. Given the level of officially disseminated Russophobia over the last several years, the general storyline is consistent with that view.

Though I am computer illiterate, I have no doubts whatsoever that Russia participates in the game of cyber break-ins and hacking efforts. Whether they value hacking into the DNC over hacking into Pentagon and military systems is questionable, IMO. As long as we're all speculating.

Sorry I don't have a handy link, but William Binney has written several times in the last several months that in his opinion the hatchet job against the DNC came from inside the Beltway. All things considered, I would respect Binney's opinions more than I would respect the opinions and claims of any western media source.

So thanks for the Esquire perspective, but it's plain vanilla and not very persuasive at all.

If I were Putin and his advisors, I would certainly prefer Trump to Clinton's blatant belligerence and war mongering, but I would also understand that Trump did not get where he is by being principled and honorable. I suspect Putin understands that a man like Trump can be bought very easily. He may not be a politician, but he is just as unscrupulous as one.

I find it comical that the Russians would devote much effort to hack the DNC or the RNC. If they are going to be hacking, it would be something with a high military value, IMO. The Esquire article proves nothing but the propensity of western media to print what they are told, juicy rumors that cannot be proved.

Yes to the first part. The second part is ridiculous and poor investigation. The first part is an actual fact of something that happened; the DNC did get hacked. Looking into that is looking into a factual occurrence.

"investigating" if they were "using it to help Trump get elected" is poor investigation. It's approaching something with a preconceived notion and then searching for THAT. Investigating WHY they sought to do it, IF they did it, is reasonable. But what you're suggesting basically highlights you're just looking for a witch hunt, not an actual investigation.

Yes, they absolutely should look into any instances of a potential foreign nation hacking a significant american institution.

A pointless endeavor to even speak on at this point with such limited hard evidence out there. Ultimately, if it's discovered any american aided the Russian in anything illegal, they should suffer whatever consequences such assistance with a crime would normally warrant.

If it's can be traced to an individual, naturally that person should be pursued to the fullest extent of the law. If it's traced back to an actual state actor, then it becomes much more dicey. Sadly, we've had very little solid response to aggressive cyber attacks in the past.

Arguments that the data should be ignored or it shouldn't have been taken into consideration were ridiculous. However, that doesn't mean that the illegal action shouldn't be dealt with. IT absolutely should and I"d fully support any legitimate action to look into the hacks.

Back
Top Bottom