• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Golden Globe Awards host Ricky Gervais tears into Hollywood elite, Disney, Amazon, Apple

It's about time somebody knocked those elitists down a few pegs.

Gervais said what so many of us have wanted to say to Hollywood for years. He ended his 7+ minute monologue by telling the people in attendance to just accept their awards, don't make political speeches and basically GTF off the stage.

BRAVO!

Here's the audio:
YouTube

Do people even watch these award shows anymore?

Gervais leveled the Hollywood elites like a steamroller over a newly paved road. What's so funny is to watch a few here doing damage control for his remarks. :giggling:

Like it's their job!

No matter how you guy's try to frame this his message is the same.

Is anybody changing his message?

Ricky is doing what he has done for years.

Well done!

Maybe you should stop trying so hard?
It doesn't matter who Gervais attacks or why, he mocked the Hollywood elites, brought them down to size, and everybody but the left, who obviously has no sense of humor, roared with laughter.

Yep, he's your hero now. Inevitably, he's going to say something negative about trump and you'll change your tune to his being a "lefty loon". I guarantee it!

It is a reminder that, their pretensions notwithstanding, their views on the issues of our time are of no more value than are the views of the limo drivers who brought them to the gala. It is a reminder that, despite their preening, they have no standing to lecture on any topic other than entertainment.

You mean like you're lecturing everyone here? Good to know!

I was thinking of the television audience.

In that case, the only people who were made aware probably already believed that in the first place. I don't see where this did anything but continue confirmation bias.

In that case, the only people who were made aware probably already believed that in the first place. I don't see where this did anything but continue confirmation bias.

You may be right, but I think the effort remains worthwhile.

He clearly made fun of the idiots who make everything political. He pointed out the hypocrisy of those who claim to be woke. His monologue has gone viral. It's all everyone talked about at work today. This isn't a hot topic because he went on stage and did what the typical idiot liberal would do. Did you see the look of the horrified faces in the audience?

This is the biggest problem of the left. They can't accept reality. They don't see things as they are. They are what is called unconsciously unconscious. They have no idea how wrong they are and therefore are unable to change their ways.

Regarding the biggest applause of the monologue. This pretty much proves my point.

There you go lying and projecting. Time after time right wing scumbags are proven they don't know **** about anything and have to lie about everything. So you are projecting. The right, that claims science, media, universities, evertything is biased against them, showing it is them that don't have any facts

He's neither a hero nor a villain. He spoke the truth to puffed up hypocrites.

Lets be honest. He is very self serving, is as likely to flame the right (maybe more so) than the left, and his primary motivator for THIS monologue was far more likely the recent attacks on his comments about transgendered people than his actual feelings about Hollywood. He got bit...he bit back.

Did someone forget to inform you that Gervais is an atheist and a British liberal? Those people he tore into were hypocrites by his views.

There...FIFY

that they don't matter as much as they think they do.

america enjoys having good entertainers, but we can live without them if they keep engaging in political points and hypocrisy all the time. that is NOT what we buy their product for.

This is a site specifically intended to promote such exchanges. And we're all equal.

So celebrities aren't allowed to speak their mind? You'd better tell him!

Also, you'd better make the looney bastard apologize for leading the birther movement prior to his becoming president, because according to you, only people on internet discussion forums are allowed to lecture people even if it offends half the population!

There...FIFY

Gervais made a special note of how he thought Apple was such blatant hypocrites because despite their liberal corporate PR they build their products in Chinese sweatshops.

Lets be honest. He is very self serving, is as likely to flame the right (maybe more so) than the left, and his primary motivator for THIS monologue was far more likely the recent attacks on his comments about transgendered people than his actual feelings about Hollywood. He got bit...he bit back.

I'm more interested in the outcome than his motives.

So celebrities aren't allowed to speak their mind? You'd better tell him!

Also, you'd better make the looney bastard apologize for leading the birther movement prior to his becoming president, because according to you, only people on internet discussion forums are allowed to lecture people even if it offends half the population!

No. The point I made is that celebrity conveys no special value to their thoughts, not that they are not permitted to express themselves. My exact words: "It is a reminder that, their pretensions notwithstanding, their views on the issues of our time are of no more value than are the views of the limo drivers who brought them to the gala."

that they don't matter as much as they think they do.

america enjoys having good entertainers, but we can live without them if they keep engaging in political points and hypocrisy all the time. that is NOT what we buy their product for.

Nobody thinks that entertainers are important in any political sense.

LOL guessing Trumpets have not seen what he has said about Trump and rightwingers before...

That's what make's him so credible calling people out. He's a comedian, in the tradition of Don Rickles and Jackie Mason. He'll make fun of both sides. Now if he just kept going after one side over and over, to the point where it tiresome, that's different.

No. The point I made is that celebrity conveys no special value to their thoughts, not that they are not permitted to express themselves. My exact words: "It is a reminder that, their pretensions notwithstanding, their views on the issues of our time are of no more value than are the views of the limo drivers who brought them to the gala."

So according to you, trump's views, prior to becoming president with regard to foreign policy had no more value than his limo driver, correct?

You liberals worship Hollywood, conservatives don't. It's very strange too when they could care less about you.

You don't get the difference between a roast and a lecture.

He roasted them with jokes, but when he lectured them on their hypocrisies at the end, he wasn't joking anymore.

Oh really? Did he state this someplace?
He was roasting them because he enjoys that type of humor.
Everyone knows this if you listened to him on jim and sam.

You liberals worship Hollywood, conservatives don't. It's very strange too when they could care less about you.

Clint Eastwood and the chair...Ronald reagan...trump reality shows...

Good fail..well no it's a tired and dumb

Back
Top Bottom