• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Global Warming is Worse than we Thought

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Worse than we thought is actually an understatement.

Startling new research finds large buildup of heat in the oceans, suggesting a faster rate of global warming

Over the past quarter-century, Earth’s oceans have retained 60 percent more heat each year than scientists previously had thought, said Laure Resplandy, a geoscientist at Princeton University who led the startling study published Wednesday in the journal Nature. The difference represents an enormous amount of additional energy, originating from the sun and trapped by Earth’s atmosphere — the yearly amount representing more than eight times the world’s annual energy consumption.

The higher-than-expected amount of heat in the oceans means more heat is being retained within Earth’s climate system each year, rather than escaping into space. In essence, more heat in the oceans signals that global warming is more advanced than scientists thought.

“We thought that we got away with not a lot of warming in both the ocean and the atmosphere for the amount of CO2 that we emitted,” said Resplandy, who published the work with experts from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and several other institutions in the United States, China, France and Germany. “But we were wrong. The planet warmed more than we thought. It was hidden from us just because we didn’t sample it right. But it was there. It was in the ocean already.”

The study

Don’t worry.

The deniers will let us know that it’s not warming at all, and besides the warming is no big deal. Sea level isn’t rising at all, and besides, the rise is no big deal. Glaciers aren’t melting at all, and besides, the melting is no big deal.

It’s like the old joke about the resort: the food is terrible, and the portions are so small!

Don’t worry.

The deniers will let us know that it’s not warming at all, and besides the warming is no big deal. Sea level isn’t rising at all, and besides, the rise is no big deal. Glaciers aren’t melting at all, and besides, the melting is no big deal.

It’s like the old joke about the resort: the food is terrible, and the portions are so small!

Right. And the oceanic heat sink is actually going to stimulate the growth of coral reef. ;)

Right. And the oceanic heat sink is actually going to stimulate the growth of coral reef. ;)

And remember. It’s not warming, but the warming that’s not happening is going to be awesome because I get chilly in the winter.

And remember. It’s not warming, but the warming that’s not happening is going to be awesome because I get chilly in the winter.

"Weather != climate." No, but weather patterns = climate.

President Trump does not even have this on any list...... Is the "study" another one that has the end result to match the politics of this?
Yea lets forget about how well the economy is doing?

It's the economy stupid!

Following in the footsteps of Nir Shaviv.

[h=3]The oceans as a calorimeter | ScienceBits[/h]
[url]www.sciencebits.com/calorimeter

[/URL]

A calorimeter is a device which measures the amount of heat given off in a chemical or physical reaction. It turns out that one can use the Earth's oceans as one giant calorimeter to measure the amount of heat Earth absorbs and reemits every solar cycle.

[h=3]Using the oceans as a calorimeter to quantify the ... - AGU Publications[/h]
[url]https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2007JA012989

[/URL]
by NJ Shaviv - ‎2008 - ‎Cited by 40 - ‎Related articles
Nov 4, 2008 - With this in mind, we use the oceans as a calorimeter to measure the radiative forcing variations associated with the solar cycle. This is ...Abstract · ‎Introduction · ‎Theoretical and Empirical ... · ‎Deriving the Oceanic ...

Don’t worry.

The oceans are warming. And no surprise to me, as the sun is the driving force for the earths heat, and is most prominent in the oceans. Consider also the very long ECS time of the solar heat.

I have a file of tag lines and smart remarks and one of them says:

If the Climate Change headline says,
"Worse than previously thought"
Historical data has been re-written.

Lol...”it’s not the CO2; it’s the sun.”

That’s been debunked, gentlemen. :lol:

The oceans are warming. And no surprise to me, as the sun is the driving force for the earths heat, and is most prominent in the oceans. Consider also the very long ECS time of the solar heat.

Oh right. I forgot:

It’s not warming, and if it is, it’s no big deal. And it’s all the sun’s fault anyway, or China’s fault.

If you examine the links in #9 you will find the "recent" result was anticipated years ago, and the solar cause was well-documented.

I doubt anyone is denying the Earth's climate is evolving. It has been doing so since the planet was formed and I'm not panicked about it despite the cries of panic from the Global Warming pearl clutchers.

OHNOES.gif

Have a nice globally warmed carbon offset credit filled day!

:peace

Ocean Heat Content
FRIDAY FUNNY – At Long Last, Kevin Trenberth’s Missing Heat May Have Been Found! Repeat, May Have Been

UPDATED: See the update at the end of the post about climate sensitivity. # # # Alternate title: Press Release Plus Mainstream Media & Blogosphere Responses to Resplandy et al. 2018 Before we get to the fun stuff, the paper being discussed in this post is Resplandy et al. 2018 Quantification of ocean heat uptake…

[FONT=&quot]". . . Basically, Resplandy et al. 2018 et al. are basing their estimates of the heat uptake for the “whole ocean” since 1991 on atmospheric measurements of oxygen and carbon dioxide as proxies, not on ocean temperature observations. Does one assume that “whole ocean” means from coast to coast and from ocean floor to surface? I believe so.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As far as I can tell, based on the abstract, this is not an examination of, or an attempt at correcting, global sea surface temperature records, which make up the ocean portion of the global surface temperature record. Considering that the definition of “climate sensitivity to greenhouse gases” is broadly defined by the IPCC as (my boldface) “the equilibrium global mean surface temperature change following a doubling of atmospheric CO2 concentration”, we must assume that the authors are referring to another definition of “climate sensitivity to greenhouse gases” in their abstract, not the broadly accepted one. . . ."[/FONT]

No it hasn't. maybe in your dreams, but not by science.

Oh right. I forgot:

It’s not warming, and if it is, it’s no big deal. And it’s all the sun’s fault anyway, or China’s fault.

I see you are going off the deep end again. Hold on...

Global warming
Scientific Apophenia

Guest Essay by Kip Hansen Science, as a whole, advances or fails to advance in large part in a direct relationship to the presence or absence of bias in its research efforts. There are many types of bias, and these have been discussed in the pages of various Climate Science blogs and publications over…

[FONT=&quot]. . . . The question then arises:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is the whole field of IPCC Climate Science suffering from Scientific Apophenia?is the field collectively“assigning … inferential meaning when limited statistical power should prevent such a conclusion or when the data are actually random.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clearly, the world is generally warming, apparently coming up out of the Little Ice Age that ended in the mid-1800s (possibly a bit earlier) and entering a generally (but not spatially universal) warmer phase, but it is only dangerously warming if one already believes it to be so.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some climate measures are changing but they are only look to be dangerously changing if one already believes it to be so. (In fact, for mankind, many are actually getting better.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The evidence, so far, simply does not support the inference that the Earth’s climate is changing dangerously. Only persons suffering from Scientific Apophenia see dangerous climate change in the chaotic, random patterns of long-term climate metrics.[/FONT]

If you examine the links in #9 you will find the "recent" result was anticipated years ago, and the solar cause was well-documented.

...and thoroughly debunked.

...and thoroughly debunked.

Not in the slightest. It was never actually addressed. The "consensus" scientists hoped that if they kept their heads under the covers the monsters would go away. They didn't.

Back
Top Bottom