• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Getting a new dog.

TheGoverness

Little Miss Sunshine
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So a few months ago, my dog Bart died of cancer. Ever since then, Bandit, our last surviving dog, has been depressed. I guess being "King of the House" is meaningless when you have no subjects to rule. It was pretty bad when his brother Chico (our other chihuahua) passed away. But he still had Bart. Now with Bart gone, he has no one.

So my dad called me and told me he wanted to get a new dog. Although my mom isn't too hot on the idea, I think she's still depressed after Bart's death, since he was her mom's dog (we took him in after she passed away).

We are probably gonna get a Yorkie; something similar to Bart. Although Bart can never be replaced. Hopefully my mom will eventually warm up to the idea.

I was looking to adopt a Yorkie when i found my toy fox terrier instead. Made the right adoption decision in this case, for sure. I still think Yorkies are great dogs, though.

So a few months ago, my dog Bart died of cancer. Ever since then, Bandit, our last surviving dog, has been depressed. I guess being "King of the House" is meaningless when you have no subjects to rule. It was pretty bad when his brother Chico (our other chihuahua) passed away. But he still had Bart. Now with Bart gone, he has no one.

So my dad called me and told me he wanted to get a new dog. Although my mom isn't too hot on the idea, I think she's still depressed after Bart's death, since he was her mom's dog (we took him in after she passed away).

We are probably gonna get a Yorkie; something similar to Bart. Although Bart can never be replaced. Hopefully my mom will eventually warm up to the idea.

Wait! STOP!!! Before you make a mistake, let me make a suggestion:

kittysen.jpg

Cats > dogs

Dogs are pack animals, and while they do become part of their human pack, they still (IMO) need to have a little canine company in their pack. For that reason I would definitely get a second dog, and ASAP.

Yorkshires are nice dogs. My preference might go towards short haired chihuahuas though.

Dogs are pack animals, and while they do become part of their human pack, they still (IMO) need to have a little canine company in their pack. For that reason I would definitely get a second dog, and ASAP.

Our two dogs play madly with the two cats in run 'n catch and rough and tumble.

Yorkies are popular and my mother loved them, but I am medium size dog person myself. We love our Vizsla Cash. German Shorthaired Pointers make great dogs as well. So do English Springer Spaniels. I like upland bird dogs though for their looks and smarts though.

I have had little dogs and bigger dogs, and a dog that is 40 to 60 pounds is much less trouble than a small dog. They are easier to house train, usually less destructive too.

Our two dogs play madly with the two cats in run 'n catch and rough and tumble.
And with multiples, you feel less badly leaving the house!

I would definitely recommend an Akita

Dogs are cool, but reading about all that death was depressing a hell.

Hopefully this is not an indication that you plan to move back to your parents house after University.......except for a summer or two maybe you should not be at your old home, you should have better things to do.

"There is only one direction, forwards"<<<<Don Draper

Hope they'll check out the local shelters first.

I would definitely recommend an Akita

Yeah, no, especially if you have any small animals in the house. Akitas were bred to hunt small animals. We had one and he attacked our chihuahua on two occasions, requiring serious medical treatment. He wound up being segregated from all the other animals because nobody would take him.

Forget cats, forget politics, forget dogs, forget anything. Senators??? No way. Go Sabres!

I had that image for other reasons. I would never dress any poor animal in Sens gear.

Hi Gov, we actually had to put a cat we had that developed lymphoma down at the same time you were going through that process with Bart. Her life was extended 6 months by chemo, but that had run its course.

I would say definitely get a new dog, but make sure that it's one that is good with other dogs and maintains whatever, if any, alpha/beta setup existed when Bart was around.

We adopted an abandoned/rescued young mother cat and one of her male kittens. They are adapting beautifully.:2wave:

Get a dachsund because well a yorkie can not do this on youtube

Dogs are cool, but reading about all that death was depressing a hell.

Yeah. Death is difficult to deal with.

But as my girlfriend always tells me, you have to die a little inside in order to live.

Hope they'll check out the local shelters first.

Yes, we are. My evil Trump-supporting neighbor is a member of the ASPCA and does a lot of volunteering in animal shelters. She's going to give my dad some recommendations.

Hi Gov, we actually had to put a cat we had that developed lymphoma down at the same time you were going through that process with Bart. Her life was extended 6 months by chemo, but that had run its course.

Oh, I'm sorry. :(

We adopted an abandoned/rescued young mother cat and one of her male kittens. They are adapting beautifully.:2wave:

That's good to hear. :)

Yeah, no, especially if you have any small animals in the house. Akitas were bred to hunt small animals. We had one and he attacked our chihuahua on two occasions, requiring serious medical treatment. He wound up being segregated from all the other animals because nobody would take him.

Also forgot to mention that if you get an Akita, your yard is going to look like the lunar landscape because Akitas are diggers that cannot be trained to stop, at least not in my experience. When our Akita died, we buried him in a hole that he, himself dug. Seemed kind of fitting.

Back
Top Bottom