• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gas Is Too Cheap

Truckers and manufacturers love it. It gets the cost of toilet paper lower.

Trucking for the most part has died off in most places, its just refer and dry van for basic supply.

The Democratic Party and Obama opposed low gas prices but rather wanted them raised to try to force people to drive else, while opposing any fuel or fossil fuel production for evironmental reasons.

Stupidity has driven gullible people to believe atmospheric witch doctors can change the weather if given enough money.

Locally gas has dropped another dime since I last filled up. Was $1.27 when I drove past today. Sam's Club was down to $1.23 but I won't buy their gas because the layout of that set up makes it too hard to get out of the gas side of the property.

$1.50 for a gallon of gas?That's obscene.Raise it to $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon.Pay off our debt.Gas cost that much when Obama was President.

Substantially increase the federal gas tax and set it up to automatically phase down as the price of crude goes up, and you've got yourself a deal. :thumbs:

Trust me. Blue state governors are licking their chops. The problem is it is a very regressive tax and when things return to normal you will be paying $6.00 a gallon in California.

its a fairer tax in the sense that gas taxes fund highway and road maintenance -meaning the more you use the roads, the more you pay

$1.50 for a gallon of gas?That's obscene.Raise it to $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon.Pay off our debt.Gas cost that much when Obama was President.

Gulfman outs himself for not being an advocate for 'supply and demand', but a liberal who advocates Big Government.

I remember when gas was $0.25/gallon.

So you are proposing the Feds raise gas tax by 2.00 or 2.50 per gallon. Are you going to want that tax to remain when oil gest back to +$80/barrel. then I suspect you would see gas around $10/gallon.

I remember when it was as low as 15 cents a gallon ( on sale ), and when you pulled into the gas station, about 4 guys would come running to wash your windows, top off all of your fluids, check your tire pressure, and vacuum out the car. Candy bars were a nickel and pop was a dime. A brand called 'Double Cola' was a big seller at the time, as well as RC Cola.

"Gas Is Too Cheap"

If history has taught us anything, not for long...

Gulfman outs himself for not being an advocate for 'supply and demand', but a liberal who advocates Big Government.

Its either raise the tax on gas or tax the millennials more.Someone is going to pay for my social security.I'm going to get mine and I don't care if the younger ones don't.

Its either raise the tax on gas or tax the millennials more.Someone is going to pay for my social security.I'm going to get mine and I don't care if the younger ones don't.

prove it.....waiting

What difference does the price of gas make if you're not buying any?

Cheap gas ... and nowhere to go. (sigh)
Hopefully Americans can take some vacations when this is over. I don't even want to imagine how much money Florida is losing due to tourism being down.

Oil was around $18-$22 a barrel before Bush invaded Iraq.... America went decades upon decades without modernizing Refineries... and up to the 1970's they did poor quality refining... which used up a lot of Oil based petro for gas, then came OPEC and forced the system to perform better fuel process refining. Maybe people don't remember the Enron Era, and what happen with Energy Production and Cost.

As to Banking and Electronic Transactions... so, what happens if there is a Power Grid Failure or a Data Block in a Region? Banks are already prepared if there is a sudden run on banks to get and hoard cash.

One can to to the bank and try and withdraw money in certain amounts, and the bank will tell you, "they have to order the money" which may take a few days or so. But if one wants to do an electronic transfer, they can do that right away.

Last edited:
When Fracking Started in Excess, companies bought mass volumes of equipment and people went crazy because money was floating around like dried leave in the fall seasons... then !!! at a point the bottom fell open, and people lost money, there was on exec, who cashed out and was sued by police unions and others who had invested their pension money in it. Now, there are facilities with $100's of millions of equipment sitting idle, and auctions that sell this stuff in high volumes.

"Greed of a Few" has always been a devastating factor, when wild money production is tied to any commodity; and its always followed by public calamity and massive losses by the general citizen population, and the wealthy "consolidate ownership".
We see it happening every 3 or so days in the stock market.... it bottoms out and the little guy loose his shirt and sell, and the "Big Money Changers come in and buy up for consolidation goals of sector and commodity controls".... and the people are blindsided...

Many who railed on and on about their 401k, and that paper fiction vanished as quick as they though it gained higher value. By the time this pandemic is contained, the level of ownership consolidation will be in even fewer hands of control.

I thought it was a bad thing that the company I worked for over 28 yr, turned the pension over to the Pension Guarantee Company, because they were greedy and under funded it... resulting in pension benefit being reduced to only 1/3 of what it should have been. But, it turned out to be maybe not so bad, because the Pension Guarantee Company is Federally backed, so they will continue to pay the 1/3 as agreed.

At one point we were 51% owners and the executives squandered everything and bankrupt the company, and the State Street Bank sold out position out, but before they did they allowed a non participating union to divide the membership, so they could say their duty was to liquidate employee ownership. We got 1/10 of what we had in invested value. the Company came out of Bankruptcy and the Executives Awarded themselves 15% of the Company in stocks.
( Trying to arouse and awaken the employees to what was happening was met with many people who were passive and felt powerless and would not unite to fight against what had taken place. Legally, there is suppose to be "no change" in ownership position, when a company is within bankruptcy reorganizations. But they found a way around that with the help of the company town corporate owned Judge who oversaw and held judicial control over the Bankruptcy Process. )

This is what happens to an uninformed and uneducated work group, and people who did not know what their union rights were or understand their collective power as a union, so the Union leadership caved in, as they got their cut as well, when the employees proved they would not stay united, and accepted a non participating union to dilute the union members of union owners... they ones who fell for this, thought they'd get to "cash out"... and ran into the wall of awareness that there is no cashing out except by quitting, being fired or retiring, so the result is, they lost their asses and no longer had any ownership position and their 401k's tanked!!! )

This is what happens when people don't try to learn, have no understanding of what a union is, and what power they have within union. All some cared about was their $35 dollars a month in due... so they now get to keep their $35 and they have no benefit, high medical premiums, high co pay, and not progressive wage and they have "no voice"!! they sold that all away, to keep $35 dollars a month in their pockets.

The system is designed to pump, hook and fleece and they do it frequently to the uneducated and uninformed, and the informed and educated within the ranks get fleeced in the process. , and those in the executive ranks have it laid out, to come out on the upside with positive gains. Because they see "workers as replaceable disposable labor commodity".

Therefore, people should not make mass debt for them self with a reliance on expecting the company will always do the right thing and maintain and sustain the employee pay and benefits. they showed the nation they would not do that, when they backed Union Busting and did so all the way up to the Presidency under Nixon and Reagan and every Republican Administration since then has been "Anti-Union"; since then "Executive Compensation has gone into the Stratosphere"... and Company Profits have gave the investors a "Kings Ransom", while employees have been stripped of benefits and stagnated with subs standard pay that does not equate with the cost of living. General Society is Now Strapped with "Credit Debt"... living as the same model of an "Indentured Servant" or a "Serf" ... forever beholding to the owners of the systems of Financial Organizations.

Last edited:
I don't understand what the problem is. If gas is so cheap why doesn't Gulfman get off his butt and build a nice storage tank?
I'm sure the local laws in Gulf Land don't prohibit a nice 500 gallon tank in the back yard.

Go slurp up five hundred gallons at a buck fifty and enjoy it.

Hopefully Americans can take some vacations when this is over. I don't even want to imagine how much money Florida is losing due to tourism being down.

And like opening factories Trump has no control over tourism either. The virus is in charge and we need to beat it first or nothing will come back ever. Now is not the time for impatience less we lose all our sacrifices gained and we need to start over.

Oil was around $18-$22 a barrel before Bush invaded Iraq.... America went decades upon decades without modernizing Refineries... and up to the 1970's they did poor quality refining... which used up a lot of Oil based petro for gas, then came OPEC and forced the system to perform better fuel process refining. Maybe people don't remember the Enron Era, and what happen with Energy Production and Cost.

As to Banking and Electronic Transactions... so, what happens if there is a Power Grid Failure or a Data Block in a Region? Banks are already prepared if there is a sudden run on banks to get and hoard cash.

One can to to the bank and try and withdraw money in certain amounts, and the bank will tell you, "they have to order the money" which may take a few days or so. But if one wants to do an electronic transfer, they can do that right away.

Thankfully the FDIC has eliminated the runs on banks plus most do not have any money saved anyway.

And like opening factories Trump has no control over tourism either. The virus is in charge and we need to beat it first or nothing will come back ever. Now is not the time for impatience less we lose all our sacrifices gained and we need to start over.
If it was up to you all, we would be closed for two years. BS!!! People want to go back to work and get their normal lives back. Liberals are using this for political gains in November and it's wrong.

Don't fret.... Social Security will remain during your lifetime and when that future comes beyond that, it will morph into a modified system, that will still pay, one may have to be much older to collect, when they are for certain 'unable to work".

In the Big picture view of the model of society built on the history of slavery and indenture, which existed long before America did, has been a model that had an agenda, for people to "work until they can't".... !!! What one may need to be more concerned about is "Constructive Termination", by constructed deficiency to expend anything for people who become gravely ill after a certain age.

America black society has a history of knowing exactly what it like to work and get "nothing" in return, except current generations have forgotten what their ancestors endured, and they squander their resources on materialism trying to fit into a system that continues to be designed to make that a challenge. Poor whites, should have learned the same lessors to the degree, they were paid, but never enough, so they have generational poverty that has persisted for 100's of years, and they squander their resources on materialism trying to fit into a system that continues to be designed to make that a challenge. there are many ways to "Indenture People" and "Create Serfdom" ... and the more people become aware of that, they more they can work in ways to guard against becoming subjects of such a system.

Maybe people better figure out "What Family is", because in earlier times.. it was the family that cared for and saw to the graces of the very aged. There is a reason the Bible speaks of the value of "Family" and what it means to "honor ones mother and father"... ( we know some parents are not of the devotion to such graces of God, and do not care for or of their kids)... but as those kids become adults, they need to "rebuild family on God based values" and not on "materialism" or monetary holding measurements; and re-set the generational lineage to one that respect what is "family", above the vain pursuit of monetary and material self measure and know the value of Gods Principles!!!

Today, people have become "Nomadic"... they move frequently, and wonder why home ownership is a life long debt. Many want to trade up to something fancy, so other can swoon over it. While they create a debt they can never pay off. Its far better to have a paid off home and only have to pay taxes and maintain upkeep, than to have a mortgage for life. Its even more a challenge when people are life long renters, because they are and may fall in the hands to be at the mercy of Landlords.

Even those who consider themselves financially secure with a few $100k or maybe a $ Million or so... but it does not take long for major medical to eat that up.... but even without that, the money become a non touchable security blanket, that they can't use for fear of no longer having it with no means to replenish it. So, they die with it.... and the inheritors do as far too many have... which is "squander it"!!!!

Besides currently if one has more than $2k in liquid assets they may be denied Medicaid... and if one tries to move their money in hopes to use Medicaid, then a review can go back 5 yrs and ask ... where did the money that was moved go ?

The system is designed for the "Financially Wealthy"... and knowing that, people have to figure out ... how to make things work... when they know they are not and will not become financially wealthy.

Last edited:
$1.19 yesterday. Woot woot. I need to install a tank and stock up

$1.19 yesterday. Woot woot. I need to install a tank and stock up

Government ruined gas too, since almost all gas sold today in the US has ethanol in it, which makes the gas go bad fairly quickly.

If it was up to you all, we would be closed for two years. BS!!! People want to go back to work and get their normal lives back. Liberals are using this for political gains in November and it's wrong.

No one will ever be normal if they live in fear of infection. No one wants to get this disease. The experts say June is the earliest we can safely start the process and that depends on more availability of testing. No one can go back into offices and factories unless they are all tested for contagion. Trump can pound sand.

No one will ever be normal if they live in fear of infection. No one wants to get this disease. The experts say June is the earliest we can safely start the process and that depends on more availability of testing. No one can go back into offices and factories unless they are all tested for contagion. Trump can pound sand.
Translation, we have to keep it closed a lot longer to hurt Trump in November. The liberals need to open the damn economy back up.

If oil prices get any lower, Exxon and the rest might have to start laying off some members of Congress. :lamo

Translation, we have to keep it closed a lot longer to hurt Trump in November. The liberals need to open the damn economy back up.

The "liberals" did not close the country the virus did. Like the meat plants that are closing because of covid 19. No one wants to get sick with it except maybe you?

Back
Top Bottom