• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Gary Johnson

Let me start off by saying... Who the **** is Gary Johnson?

Let me start off by saying... Who the **** is Gary Johnson?

The Libertarian candidate. 2 term governor of New Mexico.

I think Debates can change things, but I'd put more stock in the Jacksonville Jaguars winning the Superbowl this year then I would in the debates allowing for Johnson on the Libertarian ticket to get more than 10% of the popular vote let alone winning it. It's possible but....highly, highly, highly improbable in a historical sense and in terms of general political theory.

I think getting into the debates is a bigger hurdle than actually winning the election. I think that with the way politics are now where opposition research has all but destroyed "liking" the Dem or the Repub as they eat each other, the derangement would allow another who could make it into the debates gain instantaneous popularity and momentum. Especially when he'd come out saying what he wanted to do rather than why I should hate the other guy.

Johnson has no chance....A vote for him is a vote for Hussein Obama.

I am not in a swing state, and my state will vote send all of its votes to Obama.

I will more than likely vote Johnson.

That makes sense.

I'm voting for Johnson for a number of reasons:

1. When I voted for Obama in 2008, I voted for him with the expectation he would cease Bush's imperialistic foreign policy. He has expanded it.

2. I deplore Mitt Romney for very personal reasons - I am prejudiced against Mormons and Mormon theology, and am not ashamed to admit it.

3. I do not expect a President Romney would draw down our foreign engagements, or divorce politics from the market.

4. I live in Illinois, which will vote for Obama regardless.

5. I have grown to loathe the Republican Party.

Gary Johnson is the rational choice, given that not voting for President does nothing.

That figures. I don't really know why this option threatens the Repugnantcans more than the Democraps though. Just more political busy-body stuff I suppose.

Anyway, this Nevadan is probably voting for Johnson. I've always liked him and his is the only 3rd party that can draw enough votes to make a statement, even though the system is rigged for the two main owners. Obama seems incompetent and Romney seems...strange.

Then move to Nevada. They have a None of the Above option on their ballots. But hurry, the GOP is suing to get it removed.

It's "essentially" a vote for Handsome Obama only if the individual would otherwise be voting for Mitt Romney. If they would've voted for Handsome Obama, then it would've actually be "essentially" a vote for Romney. If they wouldn't have voted, then it's esesntially a wash. The logic only halfway works if they would vote for Romney if not for the 3rd party person.

And even then, it's more accurate to say it's an essentially a vote "against" Romeny then it is a vote "for" Handsome Obama, since it's taking a vote AWAY from Romney not giving a vote TO Obama.

It's "essentially" a vote for Handsome Obama only if the individual would otherwise be voting for Mitt Romney. If they would've voted for Handsome Obama, then it would've actually be "essentially" a vote for Romney. If they wouldn't have voted, then it's esesntially a wash. The logic only halfway works if they would vote for Romney if not for the 3rd party person.

And even then, it's more accurate to say it's an essentially a vote "against" Romeny then it is a vote "for" Handsome Obama, since it's taking a vote AWAY from Romney not giving a vote TO Obama.

Not to mention the fact that if it comes in a non-swing state it has absolutely no effect on the election outcomes, since just living in those states works out as a vote for "Baseball glove" Romney or "Handsome" Obama depending on the political orientation of the state in question.

I've basically already voted for Obama by virtue of living in Illinois. It doesn't matter who I "officially" cast my vote for because my presence in this state affects it's electoral count.

I prefer Johnson myself. deciding if I am gona vote for him. Not sure yet. I am tired of voting for the lesser of to evils. but Obama so fricken evil I may just vote Romeny to hopefully be sure Obama gets the boot. This just sucks having to do that though.:(

I prefer Johnson myself. deciding if I am gona vote for him. Not sure yet. I am tired of voting for the lesser of to evils. but Obama so fricken evil I may just vote Romeny to hopefully be sure Obama gets the boot. This just sucks having to do that though.:(

If you live in California, a vote for Romney is probably going to be a wasted vote. From what I've seen, Obama is way ahead there.

If you live in California, a vote for Romney is probably going to be a wasted vote. From what I've seen, Obama is way ahead there.
i havent looked at the polls here so I dont know. I wish it wasnt winner take all though. Then my vote would count becuase I live in a very conservative county. (Kern.)

obama must be replaced, if we fail to do that, nothing else matters.

i havent looked at the polls here so I dont know. I wish it wasnt winner take all though. Then my vote would count becuase I live in a very conservative county. (Kern.)

Even then it wouldn't necessarily count because you live in a very conservative county, so it's already a given where that county's vote would go. If you vote with the majority, your vote doesn't really count because your preferred candidate would win regardless of where you actually placed your vote.

Proportional delegation of electoral votes is about the only way to make the individual's vote count in our current system.

Even then it wouldn't necessarily count because you live in a very conservative county, so it's already a given where that county's vote would go. If you vote with the majority, your vote doesn't really count because your preferred candidate would win regardless of where you actually placed your vote.

Proportional delegation of electoral votes is about the only way to make the individual's vote count in our current system.

I see what you said there ;)

yeah, but that would give unfair advantage to cal, NY, NJ, Fl and other high population states. that would effectively do away with the electoral college. I don't think we want the east and west coasts selecting our president.

So... who else here is considering him over the other two?

A vote for Johnson is nothing more than a protest vote. It means nothing, but if it makes you feel better, than go right ahead.

A vote for Johnson is nothing more than a protest vote. It means nothing, but if it makes you feel better, than go right ahead.

That's the great thing about this country - I can vote for whomever, whether you like it or not.

'Protest' votes are the best kind (imo).

People that vote for someone for ANY other reason then the issues is an ignorant voter, imo.

And to not vote for someone strictly because a person does not think they can win means that person is nothing more then a bandwagon jumper.
The same kind of spineless people that only like songs/movies when they become popular and only root for sports teams when they are winning.

You should vote for the candidate that you think is best for the job - not the one who you think can win and whose policies you 'don't mind too much'.

That is one of the main things that is wrong with American politics - greatness is not rewarded, mediocrity is.

And so long as that is the case - that is the kind of POTUS's/politicians America will get.

And mediocre leaders usually leads to a mediocre country.

Last edited:
I am in a swing state, but I cannot... in good conscience... vote to perpetuate the status quo. Voting for either Obama or Romney would be doing just that. I will most likely vote for Johnson. Fact of the matter is we will still get more of the same (either Obama or Romney), but it won't be my fault.

if the republicans wanted to win in 2012 they would have run Gary Johnson
my wife and i intend to vote for him
seems we are in very good company
delighted to see that so many on these boards are willing to vote for other than democrat or republican
only wish that were also true to the general population

Issues

Back
Top Bottom