• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

French Presidential Election 2017 Second Round

Le Pen or Macron?

• Le Pen

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Macron

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
all I want is the fall of the EU

So you want the destruction of the economies of Germany, France, and etc. Since the EU has been there for so long, you might as well try to maintain it. Destroying it means hurting the countries invested in it.

So you want the destruction of the economies of Germany, France, and etc. Since the EU has been there for so long, you might as well try to maintain it. Destroying it means hurting the countries invested in it.

i am for the counties of Europe going back to being separate and running their own affairs.

i am for the counties of Europe going back to being separate and running their own affairs.

Yes, but doing that will devastate most of the European countries. Yes independence is important, but most people in Europe do value the EU, unlike the US. Anyway Macron WON!

That is not how the world works anymore. Europe especially is more connected than ever and EU exists because of that.

Vote for who you want to win.

I certainly hope the wikileaks documents don't show any criminal behavior by Macron.

Perhaps in the short run, however in the long run, it will be a victory for democracy in Europe.

Oops, voted for the wrong person, I wanted to vote for Macron, well, :3oops: :3oops: in a real election I would not push a button that quickly. That is what you get when you watch TV while reading the forum.

Yes, but doing that will devastate most of the European countries. Yes independence is important, but most people in Europe do value the EU, unlike the US. Anyway Macron WON!

Macon won, however 2022 may have a different outcome. The EU is a globalist P.O.S.

Greece is the only major economic problem the EU has.

I am not referring only to economics. I am referring to liberty, democracy, etc.

Greece is the only major economic problem the EU has.

Aside from the Euro currency itself, the de facto gold standard it's imposed on its adopting countries, as well as real wage declines, expanding inequality and persistently high unemployment; it should be noted that the rise of right wing nationalism has been born out of some very real economic pressures and concerns, not simple demagoguery on the basis of racism and Islamophobia, much like the antiestablishment zeitgeist prominent in the States.

That said, in an exclusive contest between a right wing nationalist with questionable ties and, euphemistically put, an equally questionable past, and a corporatist shill, I'm leaning towards the shill.

France elected a 39 year old boy, when they needed a strong leader. Not saying Le Pen was the answer, but this kid will get no respect from other world leaders.

They should have kept Hollande if they wanted to keep the status quo politics.

Now how is the EU hurting the liberty, democracy, and etc of the European nations????

By imposing and dictating unwanted rules on the populace.

They have regulations on the allowable curvature of a banana. Most people find that sort of thing ridiculous.

By imposing and dictating unwanted rules on the populace.

They have regulations on the allowable curvature of a banana. Most people find that sort of thing ridiculous.

Banana regulation is bs, but the regulations for the majority of the market is there for a reason. Safety and quality regulation is for the benefit of the consumer.

Banana regulation is bs, but the regulations for the majority of the market is there for a reason. Safety and quality regulation is for the benefit of the consumer.

Where the true purpose of regulation is safety and consumer protection, you are totally right.

Often, however, EU regulation is more about cronyism and protecting favored industries. The banana regulation is just one example of this - the regulation is a farcical mechanism meant to keep Chiquita and Dole out of Europe. It's a trade barrier, meant to protect European producers. Producers who, by the way, happen to donate a lot of money to certain political buddies.

The EU has a ton of flaws that need to be worked out before the union can every truly be functional.

Where the true purpose of regulation is safety and consumer protection, you are totally right.

Often, however, EU regulation is more about cronyism and protecting favored industries. The banana regulation is just one example of this - the regulation is a farcical mechanism meant to keep Chiquita and Dole out of Europe. It's a trade barrier, meant to protect European producers. Producers who, by the way, happen to donate a lot of money to certain political buddies.

The EU has a ton of flaws that need to be worked out before the union can every truly be functional.

Their motive to protect European producers is acceptable, but it is unacceptable if that protectionism is because of corruption (like you said). The fundamental purpose of the EU is a good idea, giving how small each country is.

Their motive to protect European producers is acceptable, but it is unacceptable if that protectionism is because of corruption (like you said). The fundamental purpose of the EU is a good idea, giving how small each country is.

The single European market is a good idea, it has just been implemented poorly on the ground level. In other words, the broader idea is good... but when you dig in to the weeds and the details, it's a big mess.

I'm in total agreement with having some kind of European project, but I think the current EU is close to being an unsalvageable mess and they would be better off starting over.

Back
Top Bottom