• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Flynn apologizes after admitting he may have discussed sanctions with Russia

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Feb. 13, 2017

WASHINGTON — National Security Adviser Michael Flynn "has the full confidence of" President Trump, a top White House aide said Monday as speculation about Flynn's future swirled after revelations he had potentially interfered with U.S. relations with Russia while still a private citizen. White House aide Kellyanne Conway said that Flynn simply can't recall whether he discussed the additional sanctions the United States placed on Russia with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak shortly after the sanctions were announced in the final days of the Obama administration. Flynn has apologized to Vice President Pence on the telephone, said a White House official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive personnel matter. Pence had emphatically denied to CBS News last month that Flynn had discussed "anything having to do with the United States' decision to expel diplomats or impose censure against Russia." Conway and the White House official said Flynn now says he may have discussed sanctions, but cannot be 100% certain.

The controversy involves a phone call in late December with Kislyak amid the Obama administration's crackdown in retaliation for Russian hacking during the 2016 presidential campaign. The timing of the phone call — and Russia's decision not to retaliate against the U.S. measures — have raised further questions about the relationship between Trump's inner circle and the Kremlin.
How can Trump's top security official not remember if he discussed the hacking-sanctions with the Russian ambassador just last month? Michael 'RT' Flynn is a lying sack of horse manure.

What is even more troubling is the very real possibility (probability) that Flynn was undercutting President Obama on the explicit order of Moscow Don.

Perfect time to replace him with John Bolton, who should already be in this cabinet somehow.

How can Trump's top security official not remember if he discussed the hacking-sanctions with the Russian ambassador just last month? Michael 'RT' Flynn is a lying sack of horse manure.

What is even more troubling is the very real possibility (probability) that Flynn was undercutting President Obama on the explicit order of Moscow Don.

I'm not as concerned with what he did (talking to them about the sanctions). What concerns me is he either lied to Pence or he is too forgetful. Too bad, too, because I admire Flynn otherwise.

Perfect time to replace him with John Bolton, who should already be in this cabinet somehow.

Trump doesn't like his mustache. It looks like it has fleas.

If true, then why isn't that called 'treason'?

I think the White House has gone silent on Flynn. So he may be on his way out sooner rather than later.

What he did to Pence was unforgivable.

Flynn lied. Then rephrased it and now he is apologizing for it. But some will drop in here and still say he did nothing wrong.

Bolton is another Neocon who was fully onboard with the Iraq invasion blunder which needlessly wasted so much blood and treasure. I can see why so many Neo-Cons are still whining to have their people inserted wherever possible. It hurts to be out of power and marginalized.

Bolton is another Neocon who was fully onboard with the Iraq invasion blunder which needlessly wasted so much blood and treasure. I can see why so many Neo-Cons are still whining to have their people inserted wherever possible. It hurts to be out of power and marginalized.

Not to mention that the guy is a complete tempermental hothead. Last thing we need in helping form US foreign policy.

Things must be heating up for ol' Flynn. I never knew him to apologize for anything before. :)

Clinton had a private email server but was found to have been no more careless about confidential material than the last 5 SoS's before her.

Given the endless rage aimed at her by many on the right, we ought to be hearing full-meltdown from the same people about this. (That's assuming the rage over Clinton was genuinely based in neutral opinions about government officials rather than bias.

Clinton had a private email server but was found to have been no more careless about confidential material than the last 5 SoS's before her.

Everyone should strive to suck just as much as the guy that came before them. If we just had more people that did everything wrong that their predecessors did then the world would be a better place. /sarcasm

He lied. Therefore Trump loves him.

He should be fired, and I assume he will be.

Well, he surely remembers - I'm pretty sure the call in question came the day that sanctions were announced, so it would be incredible if someone we trust to manage national security cannot REMEMBER whether he discussed that in a phone call. Trump: "Hey Mike, what did Russia say about sanctions?. Mike: "Dunno boss, not sure if we discussed them. Can't remember..." BS.

Furthermore, it's almost certain he now KNOWS what he talked about because the transcripts of the intercepted call would tell him exactly what was said, word for word. Leaks that the NSA had intercepted the call, as everyone knows would happen, are why he's backtracking now. So none of it even passes the laugh test. It's almost insulting that Flynn or the WH expects that nonsense to pass muster with anyone remotely informed, but they lie so regularly about little and big stuff that it's hard to know if they're intending to insult people's intelligence or just don't give a crap that everyone knows they're lying.

I'm not as concerned with what he did (talking to them about the sanctions). What concerns me is he either lied to Pence or he is too forgetful. Too bad, too, because I admire Flynn otherwise.

Forget lying to Pence. The severity of this can't be understated.

The big question is on who's authority was he talking about sanction relief to the Russian government?

Either A) He was acting on his own and is essentially guilty of treason. Or B) He was acting on behalf of Trump who wanted him to lie to Pence.

That's some serious stuff.

Fired? He should be investigated for treason.

We already know that he has deep ties to the Russian government, was in contact with the Russian government during the campaign, and has been documented to receive payments from Russia's state propaganda network. If he was acting without then PEOTUS Trumps direct instruction, then he has likely committed treason.

Fired? He should be investigated for treason.

We already know that he has deep ties to the Russian government, was in contact with the Russian government during the campaign, and has been documented to receive payments from Russia's state propaganda network. If he was acting without then PEOTUS Trumps direct instruction, then he has likely committed treason.

Sure, if there's a case. Go for it.

Flynn lied. Then rephrased it and now he is apologizing for it. But some will drop in here and still say he did nothing wrong.

I will drop in and say he lied. It is common for administration picks to hold talks with foreign leaders, it is actually a necessity to hit the ground running on day one rather than start relations that could have started sooner.

The law does however forbid him making promises of anything, so far they could show no wrongdoing on his part for that.

The wrongdoing we do know is that he blatently lied about it, which should be an outrage to anyone. How can you trust someone who not only lies to the american people but also the administration he serves? If i were in trumps position I would do everything in my power to kick him to the curb.

Who told him to do what he did? And does he know what Russia knows about Trump?
He might not be fired.

I will drop in and say he lied. It is common for administration picks to hold talks with foreign leaders, it is actually a necessity to hit the ground running on day one rather than start relations that could have started sooner.

The law does however forbid him making promises of anything, so far they could show no wrongdoing on his part for that.

The wrongdoing we do know is that he blatently lied about it, which should be an outrage to anyone. How can you trust someone who not only lies to the american people but also the administration he serves? If i were in trumps position I would do everything in my power to kick him to the curb.

What if he's just doing what he was told to do?

If he did in fact lie, then he did promise the Russian government that the trump administration would overturn any sanctions Obama put on Russia.

This is every bit the treason that the Nixon administration did when his campaign derailed the Vietnam peace talks by promising south korea that if they blew of the negotiations, his administration would give them more.

Who told him to do what he did? And does he know what Russia knows about Trump?
He might not be fired.

Who told you to post this? Do you know what Russia knows about President Trump?

Things must be heating up for ol' Flynn. I never knew him to apologize for anything before. :)

He's sorry that he got caught. That's about it. I'm thinking he is just trying to soften his image to avoid jail-time as much as possible.

If he did in fact lie, then he did promise the Russian government that the trump administration would overturn any sanctions Obama put on Russia.

This is every bit the treason that the Nixon administration did when his campaign derailed the Vietnam peace talks by promising south korea that if they blew of the negotiations, his administration would give them more.

None of the officials in charge who monitored him back the claim he promised anything, rather the he promised was speculation, the nsa eavesdropping only mentions him discussing sanctions not promising to end them.

If the nsa had shown he had promised to end sanctions, none of us would be having this discussion, it would instead be a thread about criminal charges.

Who told you to post this? Do you know what Russia knows about President Trump?

Put yourself in Pence's shoes. Either Trump allowed Flynn to lie to you so you could discredit yourself on national TV, or Flynn lied to you on his own and Trump is too weak to get rid of him. How do you move past this? (Aside from waiting for the impeachment hearings to make you president)

Back
Top Bottom