• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First Republican calls for FBI to investigate Kavanaugh

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...blican-calls-for-fbi-to-investigate-kavanaugh

Rep. Walter Jones became the first Republican lawmaker in Congress to call for an FBI investigation into allegations by three women that President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, sexually assaulted or harassed them decades ago.

“I think there should be an investigation by the FBI. I really do,” Jones told The Hill in a brief interview in the Capitol. “What in the world difference would 10 days make? Why not wait 10 days, why not wait two weeks to find out the truth?”

Such an investigation could exonerate and “help Kavanaugh,” argued Jones, who has sometimes clashed with Trump.
One steps up, more to follow.
Judge Kavanaugh is sinking.
Thursday we will hear more calls for others to testify.

I can't see any reason to avoid an investigation.

If he's innocent, worst case we look at his stupid teen antics like we've all done and move on, and the republicans even can get a hit to the credibility of democrats and a bunch of big names in news like NYTimes and such.

Reasons I can see not wanting an investigation:
The republicans KNOW there's something that will be found that will hit or even sink his confirmation.
Or they're fairly sure the investigation will take so long they won't be able to confirm him before the elections, and also fairly sure they'll lose control in said election.

I can't see any reason to avoid an investigation.

If he's innocent, worst case we look at his stupid teen antics like we've all done and move on, and the republicans even can get a hit to the credibility of democrats and a bunch of big names in news like NYTimes and such.

Reasons I can see not wanting an investigation:
The republicans KNOW there's something that will be found that will hit or even sink his confirmation.
Or they're fairly sure the investigation will take so long they won't be able to confirm him before the elections, and also fairly sure they'll lose control in said election.

FBI could take 2 even 3 weeks to compete and have a report to the WH. Still more than enough time to confirm
I do not see him being confirmed.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...blican-calls-for-fbi-to-investigate-kavanaugh

One steps up, more to follow.
Judge Kavanaugh is sinking.
Thursday we will hear more calls for others to testify.
I almost think we’re beyond that. At this point I believe he’ll lose a floor vote, so why keep wasting evryone’s time? If Judge Kavanaugh truly is innocent of all these accusations, he and his family have my sympathy for the damage to his reputation. Perhaps they should want a thorough investigation to clear his name. Personally, I l’m of the mind that we don’t know and never will know the whole truth, but three separate, independent accusers is too much to just brush away as noise.

Regardless, from the standpoint of the public and the SCOTUS as an institution, no nomination should go forward with this hanging over it. Just pull him.

No surprise, inconsequential, and not a very reliable indicator that others will follow.

The nonprofit newsroom ProPublica ranks Jones first among House members in voting against their own party—he’s done so almost 40 percent of the time since January 2017.

Most people, whether they vote that way or not, see all of this as the sham that it is.

Two things make sense:

1. Investigate him AND get testimony - and don't do it in any announced order. All at the same time, ASAP. No time to change stories or polish up.

2. Or just drop him and get another. Cardinal made the point very well in another thread. This did NOT happen with Gorusch, but Gorusch didn't have any big skeletons or alleged skeletons in his closet. Kavanaugh did.

Want to die on the hill? Die on it. But strategically the GOP would be wise to recognize that they won last time with an unpalatable farther-right judge AND that they have the power to push through who they want. They have to answer to the people in the middle. We've seen what the usual suspects say and they know it without looking. This isn't a bad call-out, but basically, their best strategy is looking to what the Tres Borrochos have to say (if that's the spelling) or perhaps the Chomsky's. (I'd mention myself because I actually have voted for quite a few more Rs than you would guess based on posts since 10/15 I made here, but that never works out well. If it helps, which it won't, I AM voting for Charlie Baker, Republican governor of MA, the next chance I get).

They would be well-advised to look at any voter who is going to think about what is being said before deciding, not people who are going to say "well, the cons are put to this" or "the libs are up to that" or "well, clearly this is a sham because it's thirty years late" or any of that. IF they have the sense to focus on long-term survival. I hope they've acquired that sense after seeing that past actions lead to Trump, who stomped them. But that wasn't a permament stomping, not by a long shot.

How to do that? Well, you do it through 1 or 2. 2 makes the most sense if you care about getting the Court make-up you want, 1 makes sense if you want to try to show that your nominees aren't going to be derailed no matter what anyone says.

So what's more important? A win? Or a win PLUS a "**** you libtards" ?

Last edited:
I almost think we’re beyond that. At this point I believe he’ll lose a floor vote, so why keep wasting evryone’s time? If Judge Kavanaugh truly is innocent of all these accusations, he and his family have my sympathy for the damage to his reputation. Perhaps they should want a thorough investigation to clear his name. Personally, I l’m of the mind that we don’t know and never will know the whole truth, but three separate, independent accusers is too much to just brush away as noise.

Regardless, from the standpoint of the public and the SCOTUS as an institution, no nomination should go forward with this hanging over it. Just pull him.
I've run across this thought before - maybe they're dragging it out so it motivates voters to vote for republicans in the elections.

I mean, the SCOTUS was a decent part of the reason a huge percentage of evangelicals voted for Trump in 2016.

sigh...

The FBI has already said they have no reason to investigate anything. None of this new stuff changes that.

Rep. Jones...and what he thinks...is irrelevant, since he's not a Senator.

Moving on...

Would you tell us just when the FBI said that?

I've run across this thought before - maybe they're dragging it out so it motivates voters to vote for republicans in the elections.

I mean, the SCOTUS was a decent part of the reason a huge percentage of evangelicals voted for Trump in 2016.
I’ve considered that, but it’s a risk. This was already shaping up to be the “year of the woman.” Kavanaugh could prove at least as toxic as Roy Moore, and we see how that worked out—in Alabama. Now maybe they drag it long enough to ensure that there won’t be time to get another judge through hearings and on to confirmation, thereby running on the theme that they need to keep the Senate to save that seat. I could see that.

"First Republican calls for FBI to investigate Kavanaugh"

Wait, Republican shills on DP have been telling us that the 'FBI has no jurisdiction.' What has changed?

I've switched over to the "let the FBI investigate" side. Too many accusers to just ignore it. No matter how flimsy their stories are.

If this all turns out to be a sham by Democrats, I want to see some blood.

The House has nothing to do with this, unless Jones is thinking of filing Articles of Impeachment of Kavanaugh. This is just political CYA for Jones.

Is his idiocy supposed to make Ford's lies more credible ? Because they don't.
Every witness Ford named has publicly denied her allegations, so whatever his motivations are for, he should go pound sand

You do know you are not telling the truth, but of course thats what you are paid for.

"First Republican calls for FBI to investigate Kavanaugh"

Wait, Republican shills on DP have been telling us that the 'FBI has no jurisdiction.' What has changed?

I’m not a shill but neither the FBI nor the House of Representatives have any jurisdiction over this.

Way back when Ford made her allegation and asked the FBI to investigate.

Not that I dont believe you, but would you post those comments for us.

Did you not say that all of the people Ford named had no knowledge of the incident?

There's PJ Smythe, who denies any knowledge of Ford's claims. There's Mark Judge, who also denies any knowledge of Ford's claims and then there's Leland Keyser who denies Ford's allegations

That's 3 plus Kavanugh who is willing to testify under oath that Ford's lying.

There's PJ Smythe, who denies any knowledge of Ford's claims. There's Mark Judge, who also denies any knowledge of Ford's claims and then there's Leland Keyser who denies Ford's allegations

That's 3 plus Kavanugh who is willing to testify under oath that Ford's lying.

You know dam well that Judge is lying and who knows who else. Why not have the Senate committee subpoena them to testify?

He's not a Senator. Has not vote.

You know dam well that Judge is lying and who knows who else. Why not have the Senate committee subpoena them to testify?

YOu know damn well they are lying.

Why don't the self proclaimed victims file a police report in the jurisdiction they claim it happened. Name ANY other victim of a sex crime who demanded their name be all over the news - while also demanding no POLICE investigation? That is so absurd there is no doubt to any rational thinking person that they are lying. If they were telling the truth, they would be demanding a POLICE investigation, not an investigation by the FBI which has no jurisdiction and therefore could not pursue prosecution.

Seriously, what victims of a sex crime DEMANDS that assailant NOT be prosecuted, while demanding media attention for herself? Never before in history has this happened.

Back
Top Bottom