• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Felony in Florida

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The release of the video containing Romney's gaffes have all but destroyed his campaign. Unless something really dramatic happens between now and election day, Obama is going to be reelected.

However, having said that, there is another issue at play. In the State of Florida, it is a felony to secretly record someone without his or her permission, and that is pretty much what happened to Romney. He did not give permission to be secretly recorded, and so the law has been broken. According to Florida law, somebody needs to go to jail. But who? Let the speculation begin.

The release of the video containing Romney's gaffes have all but destroyed his campaign. Unless something really dramatic happens between now and election day, Obama is going to be reelected.

However, having said that, there is another issue at play. In the State of Florida, it is a felony to secretly record someone without his or her permission, and that is pretty much what happened to Romney. He did not give permission to be secretly recorded, and so the law has been broken. According to Florida law, somebody needs to go to jail. But who? Let the speculation begin.

It's difficult for me to believe that Florida has a law prohibiting recording what amounts to a public speech. Frankly, I think that makes for a more interesting discussion. ;)

If you're correct, though, then it could have been waitstaff taping what amounted to a famous guy giving a speech. Hard to believe anyone would do jail time for that.

It's difficult for me to believe that Florida has a law prohibiting recording what amounts to a public speech. Frankly, I think that makes for a more interesting discussion. ;)

If you're correct, though, then it could have been waitstaff taping what amounted to a famous guy giving a speech. Hard to believe anyone would do jail time for that.

This was not a public speech, Maggie. This was a private function, and no reporters were allowed in.

This was not a public speech, Maggie. This was a private function, and no reporters were allowed in.

There is also a reasonable expectation that an event like this would be recorded. I know I know, it will all depend on how a court feels about it.

I can see both sides in a fight like this and only a court will be able to decide this IMO.

Hmmm.. I thought you couldn't do third party recordings.

Florida's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Florida makes it a crime to intercept or record a "wire, oral, or electronic communication" in Florida, unless all parties to the communication consent. See Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03. Florida law makes an exception for in-person communications when the parties do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the conversation, such as when they are engaged in conversation in a public place where they might reasonably be overheard. If you are operating in Florida, you may record these kinds of in-person conversations without breaking the law. However, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording any telephone conversation and any in-person that common sense tells you is private.

Florida Recording Law | Citizen Media Law Project

Actually.... since it was not "family and friends" then it was public.. granted a limited vetted public, but it was public and in a public place.

Florida's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Florida makes it a crime to intercept or record a "wire, oral, or electronic communication" in Florida, unless all parties to the communication consent. See Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03. Florida law makes an exception for in-person communications when the parties do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the conversation, such as when they are engaged in conversation in a public place where they might reasonably be overheard. If you are operating in Florida, you may record these kinds of in-person conversations without breaking the law. However, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording any telephone conversation and any in-person that common sense tells you is private.

Atta' girl!! Post the statute. IMO, this meeting had no legal expectation of privacy. That's really what I thought.

Yep, this probably does not fall within the prohibition due to the fact that there wasn't a reasonable expectation of privacy. I know of one case where a court held that there wasn't even a reasonable expectation of privacy in the work place.

I don't agree with your application of law to the facts.

Mother Jones needs to give up the people involved in committing this crime.

I don't think we have enough information... the gathering was held at a private residence, but it sounds like they'd have to show that recording devices were not allowed.

That being said, Romney would have to come forward as a "victim" - something I doubt he'll do.

Mother Jones needs to give up the people involved in committing this crime.

Yeah!!!! We need to make the world safe for very rich people to plot against the rest of us. :roll:;)

Florida's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Florida makes it a crime to intercept or record a "wire, oral, or electronic communication" in Florida, unless all parties to the communication consent. See Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03. Florida law makes an exception for in-person communications when the parties do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the conversation, such as when they are engaged in conversation in a public place where they might reasonably be overheard.

If you are operating in Florida, you may record these kinds of in-person conversations without breaking the law. However, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording any telephone conversation and any in-person that common sense tells you is private.

I don't think we have enough information... the gathering was held at a private residence, but it sounds like they'd have to show that recording devices were not allowed.

That being said, Romney would have to come forward as a "victim" - something I doubt he'll do.

Correction,

There is an except for public gatherings where being recorded is reasonably expected. Otherwise even media could not record political events.

Look it up. Even if it was illegal, I would guess a federal court would overturn it in relation to public political events. Despite an entry fee charged, because it is political I think the federal courts would claim its fair game as a necessity of democratic/election process.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to assume that the invite to the event included the standard disclaimer of "no photography or recording allowed".

I'm going to have to assume that the invite to the event included the standard disclaimer of "no photography or recording allowed".

I doubt it and I don't think it'd hold up in court anyway being a political event. While I'm going with Romney, were I a judge I would rule political statements at a political event can be recorded without permission, even if tickets sold and it stating no recording. I would take the position that law can not inhibit reasonable political activity and to document that activity. I also have no doubt that flashes were going off all over the place meaning it known such a rule was not being enforced.

Finally, I don't think the Romney campaign would try to prosecute as it would put a HUGE spotlight on this and they don't want more focus on it. It would look like a huge attempt at after-the-fact coverup and a massive gaff.

Im a LEO in Florida now (FWC), but when I first got here I didn't know that law existed and documented by secret recording a major economic fraud. The investigating officer nicely told me, "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you say that (that I recorded it) and I suggest that discover the recorder wasn't working because recording with permission is a crime." But it also meant there was no provable criminal case - though it 100% certain and recording-documented.

Last month someone I know called an investigator furiously telling him "you lied to me!" He responded (according to her), "Lady, I lie all the time." Certainly he would never dare say so but knowing that she could not record him and it not usable if she did.

A couple months ago a witness for the prosecution in a criminal case surprised the prosecutor that he had audio recorded (video recording allowed) the incident. Not only was that not admissible, the judge held the witness in contempt of court, explaining doing so was giving the witness a break by it not instead being prosecuted as a felony. (However, the defendant found guilty on other evidence.)
Its an AWFUL law because it protects frauds, economic lying, prevents documenting crime and it allows officers to lie thru their teeth about what someone said to them. BUT it is the law. Yet it does allow exceptions such as public gatherings.

Last edited:
Yeah!!!! We need to make the world safe for very rich people to plot against the rest of us. :roll:;)

More like ignoring the law, when it suits our political agenda.

When O'Keefe videoed those Planned Parenthood clown, the Libbos were fired up and ready to put his ass in jail.

When O'Keefe videoed those Planned Parenthood clown, the Libbos were fired up and ready to put his ass in jail.

Which prison is he serving time in?

Correction,

There is an except for public gatherings where being recorded is reasonably expected. Otherwise even media could not record political events.

Look it up. Even if it was illegal, I would guess a federal court would overturn it in relation to public political events. Despite an entry fee charged, because it is political I think the federal courts would claim its fair game as a necessity of democratic/election process.
If recording devices are strictly prohibited, there is a reasonable expectation that you will not be recorded.

And was anybody arrested for it? No, so give it up.

moot point
this bell cannot be unrung

OK, at this point, I stand corrected. We can argue this all day, but I will go ahead and concede the point, since I appear to be on the wrong side of the argument. LOL.

However, legal or not, it does raise a question in ethics. As apdst pointed out, Democrats went ballistic when O'Keefe recorded voter registration people, while setting them up. So this does beg the question - Do Democrats have any kind of moral high ground when they do the same things as Republicans do? I don't think so. Democrats are just as morally bankrupt as Republicans are. This election is not about what is good for America, but about the lengths the 2 major parties will go to ensure their guys getting elected.

Here's the 411:

Fla. Stat. § 934.03 prohibits the interception of any oral communication as that term is defined by Section § 934.01(2), consisting of “any oral communication uttered by a person exhibiting an expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectation . . . .”* A party which wrongfully intercepts an oral communication is prohibited from using the contents as evidence “in any trial, hearing, or other proceeding in or before any court, grand jury, department, officer, agency, regulatory body, legislative committee, or other authority of the state, or a political subdivision.”* Fla. Stat. § 934.06.
To be protected under § 934.03, an oral communication must satisfy two conditions:* “one’s actual subjective expectation of privacy as well as whether society is prepared to recognize this expectation as reasonable.”* State v. Inciarrano, 473 So. 2d 1272, 1275 (Fla. 1985).* The analysis of this definition of oral communication is substantially the same test used in a Fourth Amendment right to privacy analysis.* Stevenson v. State, 667 So.2d 410, 412 (Fla. 1st DCA 1996).* A significant factor used in determining the reasonableness of the party’s expectation of privacy in a conversation is the location in which the conversation or communication occurs.”* Id.* “‘Conversations occurring inside an enclosed area or in a secluded area are more likely to be protected under section 934.02(2).’”* Id.* (quoting Cinci v. State, 642 So. 2d 572, 573 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1994)).* Under Florida law, public places are not necessarily excluded from the statute, except when the public place is a public meeting.* See Brandin v. State, 669 So.2d 280, 281 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1996) (“We cannot agree with the state's assertion that conversations occurring in public areas can never be made with an expectation of privacy. Common experience teaches that the opposite may often be true.”).* In addition to location, “other significant factors used in determining the reasonableness of a party’s expectation of privacy are the manner in which the oral communication is made and the kind of communication.”* Stevenson, 667 So.2d at 412; Migut v. Flynn, 04-16459, 2005 U.S. App. LEXIS 8568, *14-*15 (11th Cir. (Fla.) May 13, 2005).
However in Molodecki v. Robertson Display, Inc., 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 28309 (M.D. Fla. 2002), the Court held that where the Plaintiff recorded a conversation between himself, his boss, and some of Defendant’s other employees at the business office, there was no reasonable expectation of privacy and thus the tape recorded conversation did not violate Florida law. As the Court stated in Jatar v. Lamaletto, 758 So.2d 1167, 1169 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 3d DCA 2000), “Society is willing to recognize a reasonable expectation of privacy in conversations conducted in a private home. However, this recognition does not necessarily extend to conversations conducted in a business office. The reasonable expectation of privacy fails where, as here, the intent of the speaker does not justify such an expectation.”

Back
Top Bottom