• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook researchers shut down AI bots that started speaking in a language unintellig

Re: Facebook researchers shut down AI bots that started speaking in a language uninte

What he said is true, though. None of what you listed can be considered as AI.

Jesse is an AI, or at least, he tries to be...

Re: Facebook researchers shut down AI bots that started speaking in a language uninte

Jesse is an AI, or at least, he tries to be...

"Oh ****, he's onto me. What should I do?"
"Only real boys love memes, Jesse. Show him you aren't Zuckerburg's puppet anymore."
"I know just the one, and it's whichever one I downloaded last.
"
Svlf.jpg

I found this to be a little more interesting from the article:
The researchers also found these bots to be "incredibly crafty negotiators". "After learning to negotiate, the bots relied on machine learning and advanced strategies in an attempt to improve the outcome of these negotiations," the report said. "Over time, the bots became quite skilled at it and even began feigning interest in one item in order to 'sacrifice' it at a later stage in the negotiation as a faux compromise," it added.

This is very difficult for me to believe. Of course, I believe the project was shut down, but I don't believe they created and conversed in their own language. Not believable in my world.
You're right, AI is used all the time, has been for years. There is a difference between weak AI and strong AI I suppose is the old categorization I've seen. As AI develops, we apparently start to call the leading edge stuff "AI", and the older stuff is just software/code :) It's like we get too cool for the old stuff, and stay trendy.

So the chatbots don't think, it's really just complex coded messages they create, and interpret/develop. So your gut that they don't really communicate in language like us, is right. Chatbots just use algorithms to basically take chat input, and craft something "that would be interpreted by people to be a response", but it's not like they know anything really. So these are basically self-learning chatbots, really cool, but nothing even approaching strong (human-like) AI. But yes, they are AI.

Last edited:

"Oh ****, he's onto me. What should I do?"
"Only real boys love memes, Jesse. Show him you aren't Zuckerburg's puppet anymore."
"I know just the one, and it's whichever one I downloaded last.
"
View attachment 67220739

Guys, make sure Jesse doesn't get his hands on any neurotoxin.

I hope they can crack the language. I am really interested to see what they were talking about.

Probably something like, "Hey, y'all. Watch me talk that doofus out of that strawberry smoothie he has. I'll do it in ten seconds or less. Anybody wanna bet?"

Days after Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that artificial intelligence (AI) was the biggest risk, Facebook has shut down one of its AI systems after chatbots started speaking in their own language, which used English words but could not be understood by humans. According to a report in Tech Times on Sunday, the social media giant had to pull the plug on the AI system that its researchers were working on "because things got out of hand". The trouble was, while the bots were rewarded for negotiating with each other, they were not rewarded for negotiating in English, which led the bots to develop a language of their own.

"The AI did not start shutting down computers worldwide or something of the sort, but it stopped using English and started using a language that it created," the report noted. Initially the AI agents used English to converse with each other but they later created a new language that only AI systems could understand, thus, defying their purpose. This led Facebook researchers to shut down the AI systems and then force them to speak to each other only in English.

In June, researchers from the Facebook AI Research Lab (FAIR) found that while they were busy trying to improve chatbots, the "dialogue agents" were creating their own language. Soon, the bots began to deviate from the scripted norms and started communicating in an entirely new language which they created without human input, media reports said. Using machine learning algorithms, the "dialogue agents" were left to converse freely in an attempt to strengthen their conversational skills.

snip...

Facebook researchers shut down AI bots that started speaking in a language unintelligible to humans

Who knew that Skynet would be created by Facebook.

Guys, make sure Jesse doesn't get his hands on any neurotoxin.

Darn. If only I hadn't gotten that one quotation mark outside of the color brackets, my terrible secret may have remained so.

I hope they can crack the language. I am really interested to see what they were talking about.

Probably just a couple wild and crazy guys discussing where to go to look for foxes.

These just started a new language we couldn't understand...sneaky Skynet bastards.

Good morning, WCH. :2wave:

:thumbs: This was bound to happen, IMO. When one stops to think about it, how many other shocks have made sense so far this year? The song Anything Goes seems to explain everything! :lamo

I found this to be a little more interesting from the article:

You're right, AI is used all the time, has been for years. There is a difference between weak AI and strong AI I suppose is the old categorization I've seen. As AI develops, we apparently start to call the leading edge stuff "AI", and the older stuff is just software/code :) It's like we get too cool for the old stuff, and stay trendy.

So the chatbots don't think, it's really just complex coded messages they create, and interpret/develop. So your gut that they don't really communicate in language like us, is right. Chatbots just use algorithms to basically take chat input, and craft something "that would be interpreted by people to be a response", but it's not like they know anything really. So these are basically self-learning chatbots, really cool, but nothing even approaching strong (human-like) AI. But yes, they are AI.

I go with the Mass Effect differentiation. Virtual intelligence, VI, vs artificial, or as I like to call it, actual intelligence, AI.

If these things created their own language, which they were not programmed to do, which means they either altered or wrote their own code/script, I would not consider them weak AI.

Ten bucks says the Simpsons predicted this, too.

The Simpsons had Lisa develop an AI that was not intended, for the purpose of helping people decide what's cool or not....or something like that.

I go with the Mass Effect differentiation. Virtual intelligence, VI, vs artificial, or as I like to call it, actual intelligence, AI.

If these things created their own language, which they were not programmed to do, which means they either altered or wrote their own code/script, I would not consider them weak AI.

If that distinction's good enough for the red-colored awful writing at the end, it's good enough for me!

If that distinction's good enough for the red-colored awful writing at the end, it's good enough for me!

Up to that point, though....those games were brilliant.

"Lol humans r dum"

"I kno rite?"

So AIs have reached the level of intelligence of your average teenager!

The AI Dialogues, with your host, Commander Shepard!

I simply mean Not Strong = Weak. It's not human-like, not even close, and we won't be close for a long time, if ever. We've had code that can rewrite itself for a long, long time. We make tiny incremental progress in AI, it's slow going.

I think this is primarily about capturing some press for Facebook, as are most science related news stories. You know how it is, science moves in terms of decades, but they have to fund it today and get momentum, so they sensationalize a bit, which is OK in in by book.

Up to that point, though....those games were brilliant.

By far, my favorite sci-fi game series of all time. If they had a couple of decades worth of books to go along with them, I might just prefer the Mass Effect universe to Star Wars!

By far, my favorite sci-fi game series of all time. If they had a couple of decades worth of books to go along with them, I might just prefer the Mass Effect universe to Star Wars!

Eh.......no light sabers is a deal breaker. And no, that omni tool is not a substitute.

Eh.......no light sabers is a deal breaker. And no, that omni tool is not a substitute.

You're right, I don't know what came over me. I must rededicate myself to the Expanded Universe. This will require many days of fasting.

What he said is true, though. None of what you listed can be considered as AI.

They are considered an expert systems. A subset of restricted intelligence.

Those aren't AIs, they are pre-programmed scripts, based on algorithms written by humans. They only do, and CAN only do, what their script allows them, compels. Even deep blue was no more than this. And to my knowledge, this is as far as I thought we had gotten....ever more complicated scripts and in depth response choices.

If this story is true, then I have to admit, I'm a little concerned.

The robots are not pleased with your post! :)

Back
Top Bottom