• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook Launching News Subscription Service

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I'm not sure how this would work. I hope FB considers partnering with news companies for a one-time fee. I pay for one subscription and I get access to the newspapers I want. That would be cool! Based on what they are saying at this point, I don't think that is their idea though.

Facebook plans to erect a paywall which would require readers to become subscribers of the platform after they'd accessed 10 articles, Brown said.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/142...re-launching-a-news-subscription-product.html

I'm not sure how this would work. I hope FB considers partnering with news companies for a one-time fee. I pay for one subscription and I get access to the newspapers I want. That would be cool! Based on what they are saying at this point, I don't think that is their idea though.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/142...re-launching-a-news-subscription-product.html

I find this weird...I mean, so many news sites have "Share to Facebook" links on every article. I guess we'll see how this rolls out, but the fact that FB is free is what makes it so popular. Ah well, it's been old for a while, I look forward to the next social media platform that will allow us to debate politics using article links for free.

This may not work

Amazon appeals to liberal snowflakes

but they expect to get their liberal misinformation for free instead of having to pay for it

Plus, how would Facebook continue to manipulate and shape the news landscape through censorship by excluding their non-paying user base?

I find this weird...I mean, so many news sites have "Share to Facebook" links on every article. I guess we'll see how this rolls out, but the fact that FB is free is what makes it so popular. Ah well, it's been old for a while, I look forward to the next social media platform that will allow us to debate politics using article links for free.

You'll still be able to share the article for free, you just will get a paywall from the site. Like how Wash Post and WSJ does.

You'll still be able to share the article for free, you just will get a paywall from the site. Like how Wash Post and WSJ does.

I must not be understanding this properly...would those paywalls disappear if you had the FB subscription? Can't newspapers simply implement their own paywalls like Wash Post or WSJ?

Ugh...call me a tinfoil hat wearer, but this seems to have a lot less to do with appeasing newspapers and more to do with FB making some extra coin.

This may not work

Amazon appeals to liberal snowflakes

but they expect to get their liberal misinformation for free instead of having to pay for it

Amazon/Jeff Bezos is very much a communist. When I see Jeff Bezo's and Mark Zuckerberg, I very much see a lot of Fidel Castro in them.

Amazon, in the beginning, wanted to just sell books online, now they want to deliver food, groceries, furniture, etc.... Soon they will be delivering pills, who knows what next, cars? Bezos wants to infiltrate the people's hearts and minds and have them develop a relationship with Amazon. In reality, workers for that company are treated like crap, where creative ideas go to die.

Facebook has already done that as well. The average fb user spends about 2 hours a day on fb/instagram. They have already monopolized their space. I see FB having no problem getting their users to pay.... if Apple can convince its followers to pay $1,000 for an iPhone, and pay that amount EVERY time it upgrades, somehow convincing people that having an iPhone is a necessity in a life.... Facebook can do the same.

Plus, how would Facebook continue to manipulate and shape the news landscape through censorship by excluding their non-paying user base?

Facebook is like a drug. I have talked to people that tried to leave facebook. They have difficulty coping.

Facebook will kill them. Snap chat is being destroyed. Twitter has hope because they have technology that FB cannot copy however Twitter has had a difficult time converting their impressive technology into profits like FB has.

Twitter's CEO is more like Steve Jobs where FB CEO is more like Bill Gates. Twitter can explode, but they haven't done a good job so far of even monetizing the president using their platform.

Twitter is actually a more sophisticated social media platform than Facebook.

Facebook is like a drug. I have talked to people that tried to leave facebook. They have difficulty coping.

Facebook is a dangerous and very much abusive operation.

Anything that encourages people to become so addicted to it they are willing to kill, or commit suicide, based on it's content, should be avoided like the plague.

Amazon/Jeff Bezos is very much a communist. When I see Jeff Bezo's and Mark Zuckerberg, I very much see a lot of Fidel Castro in them.

Amazon, in the beginning, wanted to just sell books online, now they want to deliver food, groceries, furniture, etc.... Soon they will be delivering pills, who knows what next, cars? Bezos wants to infiltrate the people's hearts and minds and have them develop a relationship with Amazon. In reality, workers for that company are treated like crap, where creative ideas go to die.

Facebook has already done that as well. The average fb user spends about 2 hours a day on fb/instagram. They have already monopolized their space. I see FB having no problem getting their users to pay.... if Apple can convince its followers to pay $1,000 for an iPhone, and pay that amount EVERY time it upgrades, somehow convincing people that having an iPhone is a necessity in a life.... Facebook can do the same.

How in the hell is growing your business communist? That is the most anti-communist thing I can think of. What do this even have to do with communism. Is Wal-Mart communist?

Facebook will kill them. Snap chat is being destroyed. Twitter has hope because they have technology that FB cannot copy however Twitter has had a difficult time converting their impressive technology into profits like FB has.

Twitter's CEO is more like Steve Jobs where FB CEO is more like Bill Gates. Twitter can explode, but they haven't done a good job so far of even monetizing the president using their platform.

Twitter is actually a more sophisticated social media platform than Facebook.

I'm really trying to figure Twitter out...but I have to be honest, it's the first of these social media applications that has made me feel old...lol... I just struggle to figure it all out, there seems to be a crap ton of stuff going on, and being long winded, ya, I'm screwed...hehe

I'm really trying to figure Twitter out...but I have to be honest, it's the first of these social media applications that has made me feel old...lol... I just struggle to figure it all out, there seems to be a crap ton of stuff going on, and being long winded, ya, I'm screwed...hehe

If Donald Trump can figure Twitter out than your average joe can as well.

Twitter is a misunderstood technology. People that don't understand it fails to see its genius.

How in the hell is growing your business communist? That is the most anti-communist thing I can think of. What do this even have to do with communism. Is Wal-Mart communist?

Think about that Carjosse. They grow a business based on the blood and tears of good retail stores like Macy's, Sears, Target, etc... They want to eliminate all competition and become the go-to-everything for everyone. If you can buy your food, healthcare, car, furniture, etc.. from Amazon, they want to get rid of all of their competition.

Ask yourself how many people in Amazon, besides the owner has gotten rich from the company? Compare that to Microsoft or Apple. Amazon is very much a communist society.

Think about that Carjosse. They grow a business based on the blood and tears of good retail stores like Macy's, Sears, Target, etc... They want to eliminate all competition and become the go-to-everything for everyone. If you can buy your food, healthcare, car, furniture, etc.. from Amazon, they want to get rid of all of their competition.

Ask yourself how many people in Amazon, besides the owner has gotten rich from the company? Compare that to Microsoft or Apple. Amazon is very much a communist society.

That does not make sense they are taking advantage of corporations who do not adapt to the changing reality that digital is king, and cheap debt is easier to fund your company than profits to keep your shareholders happy. Those retail stores failed to adapt to the changing economy, it is their fault, they could have been kings but they refused to change and Amazon took advantage of that and overtook them. Consumers wants convenience and Amazon offers that.

You just refuse to acknowledge that world has changed and those stores and you refused to change with it.

That does not make sense they are taking advantage of corporations who do not adapt to the changing reality that digital is king, and cheap debt is easier to fund your company than profits to keep your shareholders happy. Those retail stores failed to adapt to the changing economy, it is their fault, they could have been kings but they refused to change and Amazon took advantage of that and overtook them. Consumers wants convenience and Amazon offers that.

You just refuse to acknowledge that world has changed and those stores and you refused to change with it.

Sound like someone that dislikes capitalism. Amazon has the money and revenue to influence the government and avoid anti-trust laws.

Two of the richest men on the planet who made their money through capitalistic means are communists?

Try hard to see what is fundamentally wrong with your claim, Bucky. Try very, very hard.

Sound like someone that dislikes capitalism. Amazon has the money and revenue to influence the government and avoid anti-trust laws.

You don't seem to have a problem with it at any point. Amazon is just playing by the same rules as everyone else, they are just better at it. Amazon did what successful businesses do, they innovated, and because of that they overtook their rivals who did not. All of those other retailers are not failing because of communism it is because of their own ineptitude and refusal to change, that is capitalism. Please tell me what about a successful business taking advantage of an opportunity in the market is communist. What about those other companies makes them capitalistic in comparison to Amazon?

You are just calling something you do not understand communist for no reason. I can call a pineapple and car but that does not make it anything close to it.

Don't worry Twitter is going downhill, they are hemorrhaging money and seeing declining engagement. It is all about Instagram now.

What pay subscription do you use? Most I find only have access to a few so I might be interested in the one you are talking about.

This is quite possibly the most laughably ridiculous post in the history of DP.

You are known by the company you keep. Please no guilt by association. Amazon is an American success story. It seems that not that long ago Amazon and Jeff Bezos were treading water and the outcome could have gone either way. Amazon survived and has thrived. I admit to being a frequent customer. Hell, I live in a semi-rural area and it's not worth the effort to go find what I want and schlep it home, when Jeff & Co. will get it to my door within two days, mostly. I can imagine that unchecked, Amazon could get so large and wield so much influence that they would be hard to corral.

I left. I even made one of those "why I'm leaving facebook" posts, citing censorship as one of the 4 reasons.

I logged back in on a lark for the first time in a year, and that post was deleted. By facebook.

Two of the richest men on the planet who made their money through capitalistic means are communists?

Try hard to see what is fundamentally wrong with your claim, Bucky. Try very, very hard.

Ask yourself how Facebook even started. Hint, it wasn't even Mark Zuckerberg's idea. He stole it.

Back
Top Bottom