• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elizabeth Warren apologizes for 'harm I have caused' at Native American forum in Iowa

I don’t believe Warren is at all sorry she exploited her 1/1024th Native American heritage for personal gain. I fully believe she is sorry she got found out as a fraud who exploited her 1/1024th Native American heritage for personal gain.

So, she's "sorry".

She falsely represented herself as native American to get a job at Harvard. Whoever she beat for that job suffered considerable harm, I think.

She falsely represent herself to the University of Texas and the State Bar of Texas.

She falsely represented herself to the voters again and again and again and again until backed into a corner.

And now she's "sorry".

I'm 1/1024 impressed.

By the way, you left out the fact that the moderator at the function you cite berated the native Americans in the audience for not being very enthusiastic about Warren.

Yup.

This issue isn't going away, and it should not.

Her lies are a red flag about her character, and her apology a pandering sop.

Thoughtful comments as usual.

But Warren's problem is that her lies on this represent who she is; it's not exceptional behavior for her, but the rule.

She's not as disgusting as Harris, but no Democrat other than Castro merits that distinction.

She will continue to be pilloried for this as an ironclad definition of who she really is.

That will be slippery ground since credibility isn't a strong suit of the presidential incumbent. Since the battle will be for the independents, a battle for who the worst liar is may push them away from the person leading the attack.

It very well may, but once a person admits their fault it seems petty to continue that line of attack.

Not when they admit that fault as a further pandering and cynical self-enhancement strategy.

See Hillary taking "full responsibility."

Meaningless >apology< is meaningless.

I don’t believe Warren is at all sorry she exploited her 1/1024th Native American heritage for personal gain. I fully believe she is sorry she got found out as a fraud who exploited her 1/1024th Native American heritage for personal gain.

Exactly.

She's slimy.

Not when they admit that fault as a further pandering and cynical self-enhancement strategy.

See Hillary taking "full responsibility."

Meaningless >apology< is meaningless.

Right, but that still runs against an individual who doesn't apologize at all. If it's a battle over the worst liar, you end up with the one who doesn't acknowledge their lying and the one who does. The latter will gain more sympathy than the former.

Right, but that still runs against an individual who doesn't apologize at all. If it's a battle over the worst liar, you end up with the one who doesn't acknowledge their lying and the one who does. The latter will gain more sympathy than the former.

Well, you're being too sensible.

And too optimistic.

Trump's dishonesty is baked in; he wears it proudly as much as he refuses to acknowledge it.

Sandburg said something like "faces full of honest plunder" to describe the phenomenon.

People like pirates.

They like them more than the falsely/cynically virtuous.

Warren reminds me of John Edwards: pretty great platform, but a horribly dishonest spokesperson for it. :(

Well, you're being too sensible.

And too optimistic.

Trump's dishonesty is baked in; he wears it proudly as much as he refuses to acknowledge it.

Sandburg said something like "faces full of honest plunder" to describe the phenomenon.

People like pirates.

They like them more than the falsely/cynically virtuous.

Warren reminds me of John Edwards: pretty great platform, but a horribly dishonest spokesperson for it. :(

I don't think it's too optimistic in that scenario; assuming people on the fence are going to be relatively rational.

I don't think it's too optimistic in that scenario; assuming people on the fence are going to be relatively rational.

Well, I don't think Warren is the slimiest Democrat, and I don't think she'd be our worst president.

She's no Hillary in other words.

I guess we'll see what happens...

Trump will certainly continue it. I don't know how effective it will be. His name calling is starting to bore me. I expect it so the shock factor is gone. Of course the boredom threshold for his supporters may be higher and their titillation threshold lower that mine. Bottom line is that Pocahontas is baked in on both sides.

Exactly. When you overuse anything, the shock factor wears off and it starts to be neutralized.

In other words: A nothing burger!!!!!

NothinBurger.jpg

What personal gain? Please be specific and back it up with a link so we can all see it. How much money did she make off using her family lore?

Misses "I steal downtrodden peoples identity for my own profit" Warren apologizes.

And Trumps the racist for calling her out on it...

Misses "I steal downtrodden peoples identity for my own profit" Warren apologizes.

And Trumps the racist for calling her out on it...

Now, now.

Like Hillary, Dizzy Lizzie takes >full responsibility< for her slimy conduct.

How do we know she takes >full responsibility?<

Because she doesn't, and cannot be trusted.

Two things from this mess that Warren took way too far.

1. Odds are the apology will be largely insignificant to Native American support going up or down.
2. This will continue to be a punchline for Republicans, as it probably should, for a very long time.

As it probably should? Those are quite some priorities for you. And what do you have to base your statement on that "the apology will be largely insignificant to Native American support"?

Independents and liberals who continue to bash Warren for this crap deserve to be transported to an alternate universe in which Trump is President forever.

She brought it on herself.

Happens a lot. Haven't you see the commercials on tv for taking your DNA and identifying your heritage? And how many were fully off the mark as to their heritage?

Even Trump whose is the brightest person in the world thought his own dad was born in Germany. And that is just back one generation.

Nobody cares about this issue. I don't know why Warren keeps bringing it up.

It certainly seems exasperating in the moment, but when you look at the big picture it's probably smart. She's putting to bed literally the one thing that a minority group could have to hammer her on. One year from now...assuming she's the Democratic nominee...her slate will be clean. Yeah, Trump and his supporters will still do the Pocahontas thing anyway, but **** them.

So, she's "sorry".

She falsely represented herself as native American to get a job at Harvard. Whoever she beat for that job suffered considerable harm, I think.

She falsely represent herself to the University of Texas and the State Bar of Texas.

She falsely represented herself to the voters again and again and again and again until backed into a corner.

And now she's "sorry".

I'm 1/1024 impressed.

By the way, you left out the fact that the moderator at the function you cite berated the native Americans in the audience for not being very enthusiastic about Warren.

Injun' Liz took millions of dollars in salary and promotions based on a deliberate lie. So the question remains should be required to return the ill gotten gains?

The answer is absolutely.

Will she? Absolutely not.

Trump will certainly continue it. I don't know how effective it will be. His name calling is starting to bore me. I expect it so the shock factor is gone. Of course the boredom threshold for his supporters may be higher and their titillation threshold lower that mine. Bottom line is that Pocahontas is baked in on both sides.

I disagree that it is "baked in". Stuff like that is never going to do much political damage. What it does do is keep her off her message. He will continue to use it. If she is the nominee, he will find new things to use. This is one area where Hillary really messed up. She said during the primaries that she would ignore Trump and talk about issues. Trump became about the only thing she did talk about during the general election.

Injun' Liz took millions of dollars in salary and promotions based on a deliberate lie. So the question remains should be required to return the ill gotten gains?

The answer is absolutely.

Will she? Absolutely not.

...says the guy who will vote for Donald Trump in 2020.

...says the guy who will vote for Donald Trump in 2020.

I wasn't aware that President Trump had anything to do with Pocahontas sticking a feather in her hair and calling herself a professor.

This may finally put the whole "Pocahontas" thing to bed. Warren has gone full circle from ignoring the issue, to defending it with her "I'm a native - my grandma said so" to the silly DNA test which spectacularly backfired, to prostrating herself before the permanently aggrieved and apologizing for the 'harm I have caused'. Harm?

Note that for anyone who was personally harmed by Warren pretending to be a Native, I suggest that person not go outside during a windy day because he is the weakest, most easily harmed person in the whole world.

Maybe there was an actual Native somewhere who was harmed when she didn't get hired at Harvard Law School because they figured they already had one in Warren. But I don't even know about that.

The only question now is if Warren gets the Dem nomination, will Trump continue to call her Pocahontas all the way through to next Nov, 400+ days from now? That will start to get old quickly. But we may see.

Of course he will. He thinks apologies are a sign of weakness, in any case.

So, she's "sorry".

And now she's "sorry".

I'm 1/1024 impressed.

She took a DNA that showed she had some NA lineage. Sorry you don't know facts. Trump made this controversy. She apologized for the hurt it all caused. But you are lying like usual. Sad.

I liken it to a college football team losing the first game of the season.
She's been scoring touchdowns ever since, so by all means Republicans, please continue to push the Pocahontas meme, see how far it gets you.

Back
Top Bottom