• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the NRA defend the gun rights of African Americans?

Because I see nothing that supports the NRA changing its position regarding gun rights and black people, if they had changed their tune they would have done something after Castile was shot by the cops for having a gun, instead of doing nothing. The past informs the present, they have not changed.

Does the NRA speak out in every case a person is shot by police?

Does the NRA speak out in every case a person is shot by police?

well we almost never see lefties agitate when the person shot is white

or is a police officer murdered by thugs

I reviewed the prior posts of the OP-he's hard core anti NRA, anti gun rights poster. This thread was nothing more than yet another bit of evidence that the anti gun movement is political, anti conservative, not anti criminal.

Why should I be pro NRA when I think they hypocrites?

You seem to want to defend the NRA's double standard then the rights of people like Roberson. It seems like gun rights do not apply to people the right wing movement does not like.

well we almost never see lefties agitate when the person shot is white

or is a police officer murdered by thugs

Who is a "thug"? Was Castile a thug? Was Roberson a thug? That seems like an easy term used to take away people's rights and justify over policing.

Why should I be pro NRA when I think they hypocrites?

You seem to want to defend the NRA's double standard then the rights of people like Roberson. It seems like gun rights do not apply to people the right wing movement does not like.

you have been edified-the main purpose of the NRA-in addition to promoting safe and lawful gun use, is to oppose laws and regulations that harass lawful gun ownership. Normally when the NRA publicly comments on a police killing-it is when the killing was a direct result of idiotic gun laws.

Who is a "thug"? Was Castile a thug? Was Roberson a thug? That seems like an easy term used to take away people's rights and justify over policing.

how did you manage to misread my comment. Castile and Robertson didn't kill cops.

Nope. Criticize away if it makes you feel better!

However, if you actually want to change an organization that democratically elects its officers though, being a member it is probably the best way.

Your theory, and your subsequent conclusion noted. I am not a expert, but I believe that bad cops who inappropriately shoot innocent people probably are motivated by a variety of reasons. At least some bad cops are racially motivated. And, yes, there are probably some bad cops who use inappropriate force just because they dislike the idea of citizens having guns. I think it is a bit naive to uncritically accept all the excuses that are commonly quoted, such as "...I believed my life was in danger". While true for most shootings, there are surely a few problematic shoots where the cop actually had more nefarious reasons.

IMO he was.

I believe the ACLU at least has paid lip service to Jemel Roberson's case, whose Fifth Amendment rights were the ones that were abrogated. Personally, I don't see this as 2A issue. It remains to be seen how actively the ACLU moves to correct police abuses.

Okay, but if there is a danger to black gun owners from militarized police, should the NRA not try to look into it at least?

Turtle Dude wants to attack me and my sources, but am I wrong? Does current police methods curtail gun rights for black people and does the NRA turn a blind eye to it?

Okay, but if there is a danger to black gun owners from militarized police, should the NRA not try to look into it at least?

Turtle Dude wants to attack me and my sources, but am I wrong? Does current police methods curtail gun rights for black people and does the NRA turn a blind eye to it?

Bad policing is way outside of the charter of the NRA. Besides, other organizations are already looking into it.

https://www.propublica.org/article/deadly-force-in-black-and-white

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...6fda6b404c7_story.html?utm_term=.b45d29a258a7

how did you manage to misread my comment. Castile and Robertson didn't kill cops.

And yet they got killed by cops and you talked about Castile smoking weed or something.

How easy is it to put this thug label on someone? Where is the line? It seems like right wingers almost never go to bat for guys like Castile and Roberson, it seems like they can come with execuses why thier rights do not matter.

And yet they got killed by cops and you talked about Castile smoking weed or something.

How easy is it to put this thug label on someone? Where is the line? It seems like right wingers almost never go to bat for guys like Castile and Roberson, it seems like they can come with execuses why thier rights do not matter.

"NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch appeared on CNN’s New Day program to address a letter to NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre from the organizers of the Women’s March on Washington, which accused the NRA of demonstrating “a disregard for the lives of black and brown people in America” by failing to speak up for Castile’s right to carry a gun.

Castile, a 32-year-old black man who had a permit to carry a gun, was shot to death by a St. Anthony police officer during a traffic stop after Castile told the officer he was armed. That officer, Jeronimo Yanez, was acquitted of manslaughter June 16 after a three-week trial in St. Paul.

“I think it’s absolutely awful,” Loesch said of Castile’s shooting. “I don’t agree with every single decision that comes out from courtrooms of America. There are a lot of variables in this particular case, and there were a lot of things that I wish would have been done differently.”

“Do I believe that Philando Castile deserved to lose his life over a (traffic) stop?” she added. “I absolutely do not.”"

https://www.twincities.com/2017/07/...philando-castile-shooting-a-terrible-tragedy/

Except that proves that the NRA does not want to deal with threats to gun rights from the cops. They only fight for rights of people they like.

Ignore me if you wish, it does not make me wrong.

But it's more than just gun rights. Cops kill innocent armed people and they kill innocent unarmed people. That's not a gun rights issue, it's a bad policing issue.

you have been edified-the main purpose of the NRA-in addition to promoting safe and lawful gun use, is to oppose laws and regulations that harass lawful gun ownership. Normally when the NRA publicly comments on a police killing-it is when the killing was a direct result of idiotic gun laws.

Except if the cops are shooting people due to them possibly having guns, that means their gun rights mean nothing. The cops can come and these rights disappear. You guys want to attack control laws, but when existing police methods are a threat to those rights, the NRA is no where, because that would effect their allies.

But it's more than just gun rights. Cops kill innocent armed people and they kill innocent unarmed people. That's not a gun rights issue, it's a bad policing issue.

When the reason cited for the officer's claim of a "good shoot" was simply the possession of a gun (rather than any other threatening action) then it is 100% a "gun rights issue".

Except if the cops are shooting people due to them possibly having guns, that means their gun rights mean nothing. The cops can come and these rights disappear. You guys want to attack control laws, but when existing police methods are a threat to those rights, the NRA is no where, because that would effect their allies.

The actions of police aren't a threat to 2A rights; they're a threat to one's life. It's more likely a threat to due process.

When the reason cited for the the officer's claim of a "good shoot" was simply the possession of a gun (rather than any other threatening action) then it is 100% a "gun rights issue".

Does every cop shooting have this claim? Do the criminals that the cops shoot that have guns have 2A rights? The cops aren't telling anyone that they can't have a gun; they're saying we presume all y'all are criminals. That's a cop mindset.

Except if the NRA spoke out against these shootings of black men where cops shot them because they may have had guys, that would move the needle far more in conservative circles then anything the ACLU would say. The cops use gun ownership as an excuse to shot people like Roberson and Castile.

The NRA has the power to help prevent the next Roberson or Castile incident, but they chose not to and I think I know why.

Does every cop shooting have this claim? Do the criminals that the cops shoot that have guns have 2A rights? The cops aren't telling anyone that they can't have a gun; they're saying we presume all y'all are criminals. That's a cop mindset.

They did with Castile and Roberson. How is someone suposed to be a good guy with a guy if the cops show up and shoot you for it? The good with a gun makes less sense if you factor cases like Roberson where the cops will shoot you for your attempted heroics, mistaking you for the bad guy.

The actions of police aren't a threat to 2A rights; they're a threat to one's life. It's more likely a threat to due process.

Would Castile or Roberson be dead if they not have guns? I think a lot of black people would be afraid of owning a gun after these events.

Okay then answer the questions, did the NRA support Reagan's gun control plans in the 60s to disarm the Black Panthers, yes or no?
Seriously, you're going back to the '80s? Seriously?

Yes_Minister said:
Has the NRA been silent in the shootings of black gun owners like Philando Castile and Jemel Roberson?
I don't expect them to speak out on every shooting.
Yes_Minister said:
Attacking a source is one thing, but how is that article wrong? Can you answer those above question or you will dodge and come up with an excuse not to?
Sorry, I'm not interested in picking about a few alleged cases based on idiotic "just because they're black" premises.

I didn't call those two thugs. you misread or dishonestly misinterpreted what I said. I was on record-many a time-calling the shooting of Castile a "bad shoot" and noted the cop panicked

now your posting history shows someone who hates the NRA and is opposed to gun rights. So your thread is nothing more than an attempt to bash the NRA yet again

Except if the NRA spoke out against these shootings of black men where cops shot them because they may have had guys, that would move the needle far more in conservative circles then anything the ACLU would say. The cops use gun ownership as an excuse to shot people like Roberson and Castile.

The NRA has the power to help prevent the next Roberson or Castile incident, but they chose not to and I think I know why.

I call BS on that. Do you think a cop who panicked is going to first think -WHAT WOULD THE NRA want me to do?

How exactly does the NRA have the power to prevent the next Roberson or Castile? What change should they be pushing for?

Back
Top Bottom