• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Doctors Without Borders confirms slain terrorist was an employee

NO1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/251018
Israel said a terrorist who was a member of the Geneva-based organization “Doctors Without Borders” opened fire at IDF troops on the Gaza border earlier this week, a charge the group said Friday it was investigating, after it had confirmed the death of an employee.
On Friday Doctors Without Borders issued a statement confirming that the slain terrorist had been a member of the group, but said it could not confirm yet that he had opened fire on Israeli troops.

"Doctors Without Borders (MSF) confirms that one of its employees, Hani Mohammed Almajdalawi, was killed in Gaza on Monday, August 20, 2018," the organization said in a statement.

"Doctors Without Borders is working to verify and understand the circumstances regarding this extremely serious incident, and is not able to comment further at this stage.”

Hamas using medics due their immunity, that's not the first time and definitely not the last time. Another example of Hamas tactics.

Let me be clear. This is far from okay.

His actions do not represent the tens of thousands of MSF field workers/volunteers working all over the world, who dedicate their time to actually saving lives and providing support to people caught up in conflicts. That is their role. It is most definitely not to engage in terrorist activites, that's for sure.

Hamas using medics due their immunity, that's not the first time and definitely not the last time. Another example of Hamas tactics.

I wonder why this incident is not played up by the liberal media like that incident with the female medical aid was. (/sarcasm)
It's been now 3 or 4 days since that happened and I don't see any headlines from CNN or NYT about Israel "killing" medical aids at Gaza.

Not excusing terrorist behavior from Hamas, but stop acting like Israel is innocent. Their tactics of blowing up an entire neighborhood to get the bad guy, killing innocent people, yeah, those are such noble tactics. Gee, wonder why people are angry when their loved ones are killed indiscriminately. Oh, but they use modern weapons and hide behind "military" so that's OK

Not excusing terrorist behavior from Hamas, but stop acting like Israel is innocent. Their tactics of blowing up an entire neighborhood to get the bad guy, killing innocent people, yeah, those are such noble tactics. Gee, wonder why people are angry when their loved ones are killed indiscriminately. Oh, but they use modern weapons and hide behind "military" so that's OK

Hamas launching rockets from heavily populated areas in Gaza, and hide themselves behind the civilian population to maximize civilian casualties and than using it as pr against Israel by showing photos and such, in order to create response like yours which Israel is after innocents. Hamas is the one to blame for the death of civilians.

Israel have a right to defend itself,what do you expect from Israel ?not retaliate to the rockets of Hamas?

Almajdalwi was an employee of MSF but no necessarilly a medic. He might have been a driver for example. But that is by the way: Hamas remains what it has always been, a terrorist organisation.

His actions do not represent the tens of thousands of MSF field workers/volunteers working all over the world, who dedicate their time to actually saving lives and providing support to people caught up in conflicts. That is their role. It is most definitely not to engage in terrorist activites, that's for sure.

It is representative of Hamas and the tactics used in that region, though.

Almajdalwi was an employee of MSF but no necessarilly a medic. He might have been a driver for example. But that is by the way: Hamas remains what it has always been, a terrorist organisation.

In the Israei media it says he was a nurse. Here:
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5334192,00.html
The Palestinian terrorist who opened fire at IDF soldiers earlier this week and killed when they returned fire was a nurse working for Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders), the IDF said on Thursday, adding it was seeking an explanation from the international aid group.

Last edited:

Oh look, another attempt to justify the killings of noncombatants. What a surprise.....not.

I hate to break it to you, but just because the occasional terrorist infiltrates a group does not justify routinely panicking and blowing away noncombatants.

I absolutely agree with this.

But it does suggest that just because someone is dressed like or certified as an international aid worker it doesn’t mean they are not actually a terrorist.

Of course this does the aid organizations, and the people they are trying to help, a grave disservice, same as using ambulances to smuggle fighters and weapons, using hospitals as military bases, hiding weapons in and around schools etc., but this is something that the Israeli side is very aware has been going ok for a very long time and has a big impact on perceptions about the legitimacy of protests when things actually go wrong and innocent aid workers are hurt or killed.

Indeed, a whole bunch of NGOs have been completely coopted and corrupted by the Palestinian “cause” which has a similar impact on undermining legitimate humanitarian activity and concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is representative of Hamas and the tactics used in that region, though.

Interesting you should say so because I can't recall any instances of Palestinian medics attacking Israeli soldiers before. I could be wrong and if I am I'm sure someone will be along to tell me so shortly.

Interesting too that people in the OP and here have described it/ referred to it as a terror attack or maybe a Hamas terror attack

I don't know if the man who attacked the Israeli soldiers under the cover of DWB duty ( or even if that's true as yet , let's see what DWB investigation reveals ) was a member of Hamas even . And to be honest neither does anyone else here that has commented thus far but I would say that attacking the soldiers of an occupying force is NOT terrorism , it is a legitimate act of resistance.

We can argue about whether the use of the medic organisation as a subterfuge is wrong or not , I personally think it is wrong, very wrong , but at least let's be clear on what is and what is not a " terrorist attack "

Only IDF's word. They selectively shoot at medics. MSF need credible evidence, not propaganda from the killers.

Like any other of your posts here, it has no connection to the reality.

Interesting you should say so because I can't recall any instances of Palestinian medics attacking Israeli soldiers before. I could be wrong and if I am I'm sure someone will be along to tell me so shortly.

Interesting too that people in the OP and here have described it/ referred to it as a terror attack or maybe a Hamas terror attack

I don't know if the man who attacked the Israeli soldiers under the cover of DWB duty ( or even if that's true as yet , let's see what DWB investigation reveals ) was a member of Hamas even . And to be honest neither does anyone else here that has commented thus far but I would say that attacking the soldiers of an occupying force is NOT terrorism , it is a legitimate act of resistance.

We can argue about whether the use of the medic organisation as a subterfuge is wrong or not , I personally think it is wrong, very wrong , but at least let's be clear on what is and what is not a " terrorist attack "

Using various positions to cover for their actions, yes. Maybe it was with DWB this time, or reporters another time, or using human shields another time. Yes, it's pretty standard.

Using various positions to cover for their actions, yes. Maybe it was with DWB this time, or reporters another time, or using human shields another time. Yes, it's pretty standard.

I'll take it that someone involved in medical organisations has never attacked IDF soldiers before so this ,if what the IDF says is true , would be a first. So it's not standard is it ?

I can think of one example when a person wearing a press bib stabbed an IDF soldier. If there are more then , again , I'm sure people will be along shortly to enlighten us all. If it has only ever happened the once , then once again that's not standard tactics either is it ?

WRT the use of people using others as human shields well this one has been pretty standard but not by Palestinians. Rather by the IDF which had an official policy at one time before our brave friends in the Human Rights organisations challenged it in court and won despite an appeal against that decision by the IDF.

I know people will claim that Palestinians do it all of the time but those who have investigated these claims say that they just don't find any supporting evidence to warrant the claim let alone enough for it to be considered a " standard " practice

No, it is not "pretty standard."

Meet John. A MSF Volunteer. An incredibly gifted Vascular Surgeon from Australia who has volunteered his time and expertise to those less fortunate than himself over there (and in other Countries.)

This was uploaded to YouTube in April this year but I know the interview was done in 2014, after Operation Protective was launched. Why did he go there? Watch from 7:41. John explains.

You want to know what is "pretty standard" with MSF Volunteers?

People like John Swinnen. He is the norm. The actions of those who abuse their trusted position as MSF staff, do not represent the 30,000 people involved with MSF working all around the world.

No, it is not "pretty standard."

Meet John. A MSF Volunteer. An incredibly gifted Vascular Surgeon from Australia who has volunteered his time and expertise to those less fortunate than himself over there (and in other Countries.)

This was uploaded to YouTube in April this year but I know the interview was done in 2014, after Operation Protective was launched. Why did he go there? Watch from 7:41. John explains.

You want to know what is "pretty standard" with MSF Volunteers?

People like John Swinnen. He is the norm. The actions of those who abuse their trusted position as MSF staff, do not represent the 30,000 people involved with MSF working all around the world.

True for msf. Less true for other organizations fixated on the IP conflict which have effectively been coopted by the Palestinians’ movement to destroy israel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take it that someone involved in medical organisations has never attacked IDF soldiers before so this ,if what the IDF says is true , would be a first. So it's not standard is it ?

I can think of one example when a person wearing a press bib stabbed an IDF soldier. If there are more then , again , I'm sure people will be along shortly to enlighten us all. If it has only ever happened the once , then once again that's not standard tactics either is it ?

WRT the use of people using others as human shields well this one has been pretty standard but not by Palestinians. Rather by the IDF which had an official policy at one time before our brave friends in the Human Rights organisations challenged it in court and won despite an appeal against that decision by the IDF.

I know people will claim that Palestinians do it all of the time but those who have investigated these claims say that they just don't find any supporting evidence to warrant the claim let alone enough for it to be considered a " standard " practice

Lol..."not by Palestinians". Really? Everything they do is based in using human shields. They like to use schools.

Lol..."not by Palestinians". Really? Everything they do is based in using human shields. They like to use schools.

Read the reports of HR people both on the ground at the time subsequent investigations conducted by them. Acquaint yourself with the history of IDF use of Palestinians as human shields instead of just regurgitating what you heard on Fox or wherever

Hamas tactics is well known, it using civilians, journalists, ambulances, hospitals,schools and now medics for the pr against Israel and their sickening agenda.
And Hamas don't hide it -

also -
IDF used neighbor procedure practice between 2000-2005, where the neighbor of the terrorist was sent to the terrorist house and telling him the IDF caught him and he needs to give up, instead of blowing up the house. In that period of time only one palestinian hurt according to wiki. That practice had been outlawed by the Israeli Supreme Court in 2005 and Israeli commanders have been arrested and suspended for such actions since.
Fast forward to the present, Hamas using civilians as shields (causing the death of many civilians)and of course the government does nothing because Hamas is the ruler, the judge and the executor. So here goes another anti-Israel argument to trash.

Yea they do it all the time, and they publicly saying that - look above. There are ample evidance of Hamas using civilians as shields.

Last edited:
Read the reports of HR people both on the ground at the time subsequent investigations conducted by them. Acquaint yourself with the history of IDF use of Palestinians as human shields instead of just regurgitating what you heard on Fox or wherever

How about you educate yourself about the normal TTPs of Hamas and other terrorist groups in the region. Every single Hamas action uses human shields. They launch rockets from neighborhoods, fight from neighborhoods, store weapons and caches in schools and mosques. This is normal, they literally want civilians to die so that they can use for PR. If they could kindly segregate their military operations out of civilian regions I'm sure everyone would much prefer that...well, except for Hamas.

They don't even treat their own people good, if they are political opponents. Since you wanted something from HR.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2009/04/20/gaza-hamas-should-end-killings-torture

Hamas tactics is well known, it using civilians, journalists, ambulances, hospitals,schools and now medics for the pr against Israel and their sickening agenda.
And Hamas don't hide it -
also

Nobody knows whether this person who allegedly attacked IDF soldiers is a Hamas member or not. And the medics shot in the recent protests were shot whilst trying to help the injured or even when there was nothing going on in their locality.

There's a whole lot not to like about the tactics employed by Hamas , PIJ etc but the truth is that there is also a lot of hype and propaganda. I had to remind people here that attacking the soldiers of an occupying force is not terrorism.

The two videos you cited , and I will take it that the translations are true , show Hamas people encouraging and praising people for making themselves into human shields. That's different to being forced into being one such as when the IDF forces a kid to open bags they believe might be booby trapped etc

IDF used neighbor procedure practice between 2000-2005, where the neighbor of the terrorist was sent to the terrorist house and telling him the IDF caught him and he needs to give up, instead of blowing up the house. In that period of time only one palestinian hurt according to wiki. That practice had been outlawed by the Israeli Supreme Court in 2005 and Israeli commanders have been arrested and suspended for such actions since.

You can try to sanitise the use of Palestinians as human shields by the IDF with user friendly terms such as " neighbourhood procedure " etc but anyone with any sense should see right through it for the PR junk it is................. forcing people to do military tasks that endanger their lives is a crime

And they have done more than ask people to go to a "terrorists " house........

BtSelem said:
Palestinians were forced to remove suspicious objects from roads, tell other Palestinians to come out and surrender themselves, physically shield soldiers while they fired, and more.

https://www.btselem.org/topic/human_shields

Also the use of Palestinians was ended by Human Rights groups challenges , not by the IDF itself nor the Israeli governments who evidently saw nothing wrong with it

Fast forward to the present, Hamas using civilians as shields (causing the death of many civilians)and of course the government does nothing because Hamas is the ruler, the judge and the executor. So here goes another anti-Israel argument to trash.

Yea they do it all the time, and they publicly saying that - look above. There are ample evidance of Hamas using civilians as shields.

You haven't shown anything of the sort................ encouragement and praise are very different to force

My view is that FORCING people into being human shields is abhorrent no matter who does it , for you it's okay for Israelis to have done it , hence the resort to consumer friendly terms aimed at masking what is really going on , whilst staying silent that the practice was only ended when HR groups challenged it

How about you educate yourself about the normal TTPs of Hamas and other terrorist groups in the region. Every single Hamas action uses human shields. They launch rockets from neighborhoods, fight from neighborhoods, store weapons and caches in schools and mosques. This is normal, they literally want civilians to die so that they can use for PR. If they could kindly segregate their military operations out of civilian regions I'm sure everyone would much prefer that...well, except for Hamas.

You should educate yourself as to the facts and the laws pertaining to the endangerment of civilians before you use such terms or make such accusations

the Guardian said:
Deliberately placing non-combatants in and around targets to deter enemy attack – the definition of human shields – is illegal under international law.......((.............)).......... any violation of these prohibitions shall not release the parties to the conflict from their legal obligations with respect to the civilian population and civilians, including the obligation to take the precautionary measures," the conventions say................... ((..............))...........On Wednesday, the IDF released a series of maps purporting to show Hamas military sites close to – but not in – schools, hospitals, mosques and residential buildings.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tary-bases-guerrilla-war-civilians-israel-idf

Fighting a guerilla war in a densely populated area against an attacking army is bound to put combatants and civilians in close proximity but that doesn't mean that the charge of human shields being used has any validity. Again , read all of the HR reports into this allegation and they just don't back it. People have plenty of complaints about Hamas and co but the forced use of human shields isn't one they have voiced to the HR groups engaged in investigating Hamas' conduct in conflicts with the IDF

Demanding they to find some rare open space with which to take on the might of the IDF with home made rockets and Kalashnikov's is just a ridiculous request. Unfortunately for some they have no wish to line up like ducks , unsurprisingly

They don't even treat their own people good, if they are political opponents. Since you wanted something from HR.

So you ignore HRW when they don't validate what you want them to and then you are happy to quote them when it suits ?

As I have said ( and this subject is not unknown to me ), there is much to dislike about Hamas actions and the extrajudicial killing , torture and/or arbitrary arrests are on that list for sure. But once again it also has to be said.......... extrajudicial killings are only bad for people like you when the are committed by Palestinians , the IDF extrajudicial killings of Palestinians are just fine.

For me everyone should have the right to a trial and due process etc and I am firmly against extrajudicial assassination be they committed by Palestinians/ Israelis or whoever

Back
Top Bottom