• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dick's Sporting Goods halts sales of assault-style weapons

It isn't idiotitc, it is common sense and a move that even greedy wal-street approves of.

Common sense would be to go to Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops istead if you want an AR-15. Or just go to a local gun store of pawn shop--with your dad if you're under 21. :2wave:

Dick's Sporting Goods halts sales of assault-style weapons

More power to them but it seems, to me, idiotic for a sporting goods store to alienate/piss-off a large portion of their business.

It IS idiotic. I'll still buy bananas from Wal-Mart, but I won't buy squat from Dick's. Dick's is going to take it in the nuts on this, because many of the same people who enjoy the shooting sports and are diehard 2nd Amendment supporters also engage in other sports activities such as golfing, boating, camping, and fishing.

Last edited:
It IS idiotic. I'll still buy bananas from Wal-Mart, but I won't buy squat from Dick's. Dick's is going to take it in the nuts on this, because many of the same people who enjoy the shooting sports and are diehard 2nd Amendment supporters also engage in other sports activities such as golfing, boating, camping, and fishing.

What bothers me is Dicks clamoring for an AW ban. that is idiotic and I won't buy from them anymore. If they choose not to sell modern sporting firearms-so be it but to lobby against honest Americans being able to buy the most constitutionally sound firearm there is, is just idiotic

Smart people buy theirs on line and save a few bucks, but not to worry the other major chains will be happy take more or the market.

We're coming after that too. :mrgreen:

Please walk into an actual gun shop and announce that intention. If you don't mind ridicule.

Or being shown the door the hard way...........

Dick sporting goods stopped selling asault style rifles after the Sandy hook shooting as well, It didnt take long for them to reverse that decision and start selling them again. I guessing that this is the same thing.

What bothers me is Dicks clamoring for an AW ban. that is idiotic and I won't buy from them anymore. If they choose not to sell modern sporting firearms-so be it but to lobby against honest Americans being able to buy the most constitutionally sound firearm there is, is just idiotic

Gee , we buy a lot of sporting goods. Dick’s sporting goods is fast becoming a favorite store of mine.
I feel the CEOs approach of Dick’s Sporting Goods store is a common sense approach. And our family does support the 2ed amendment.
In fact my husband does have a permit to carry a concealed handgun.

Gee , we buy a lot of sporting goods. Dick’s sporting goods is fast becoming a favorite store of mine.
I feel the CEOs approach of Dick’s Sporting Goods store is a common sense approach. And our family does support the 2ed amendment.

What is common sense about an AWB when it doesn't ban possession of "assault weapons" or "high capacity magazines"?

No, your family gives lip service to the 2nd Amendment.

What is common sense about an AWB when it doesn't ban possession of "assault weapons" or "high capacity magazines"?

No, your family gives lip service to the 2nd Amendment.

I said I supported the CEOs approach which does limit high capacity magazines.
From the following:

Dick's Sporting Goods, the nation's largest sporting goods retailer, will stop selling assault-style weapons like the one used in the Parkland, Florida, high school shooting.
The company said it will also raise the minimum age for all gun sales to 21. Dick's (DKS) will not sell high-capacity magazines that allow shooters to fire far more rounds than traditional weapons without reloading, as well as other accessories used with weapons similar to the AR-15.

We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens," he said in a letter released Wednesday. "But we have to help solve the problem that's in front of us."
Stack, 63, is the son of the chain's father. He has been CEO for 34 years.
The company said it has never sold bump stocks, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire as if they are automatic weapons. Stack called for a nationwide ban on such items.
He also urged Congress to sign into law the restrictions his company has put in place, along with tougher background checks on all gun sales.
"Some will say these steps can't guarantee tragedies like Parkland will never happen again. They may be correct -- but if common sense reform is enacted and even one life is saved, it will have been worth it," he said in the letter.
[/QUOTE

Dick's Sporting Goods will stop selling assault-style rifles - Feb. 28, 2018

I said I supported the CEOs approach which does limit high capacity magazines.
From the following:

Dick's Sporting Goods, the nation's largest sporting goods retailer, will stop selling assault-style weapons like the one used in the Parkland, Florida, high school shooting.
The company said it will also raise the minimum age for all gun sales to 21. Dick's (DKS) will not sell high-capacity magazines that allow shooters to fire far more rounds than traditional weapons without reloading, as well as other accessories used with weapons similar to the AR-15.

And as I explained before, traditional weapons have magazines with capacity greater than 10 rounds. You can't just make up terms. They should only sell 1 round magazines, then, to force more reloads.

Of course, they still sell all of the AR ammo anyone could ever want. They should stop that, too. 99% of the homicides in the US involve one or two victims, and a 10 round magazine filled with Dick's ammo is perfectly suitable for this.

We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens," he said in a letter released Wednesday. "But we have to help solve the problem that's in front of us."
Stack, 63, is the son of the chain's father. He has been CEO for 34 years.
The company said it has never sold bump stocks, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire as if they are automatic weapons. Stack called for a nationwide ban on such items.
He also urged Congress to sign into law the restrictions his company has put in place, along with tougher background checks on all gun sales.
"Some will say these steps can't guarantee tragedies like Parkland will never happen again. They may be correct -- but if common sense reform is enacted and even one life is saved, it will have been worth it," he said in the letter.
[/QUOTE

Dick's Sporting Goods will stop selling assault-style rifles - Feb. 28, 2018

He'd save more lives by not selling shotguns, as ARs account for about 20 deaths per year, on average, in mass slayings. Shotguns are used to kill 300 people a year.

This is purely a publicity stunt.

We are anti-weapons of war slaughtering our students, not anti-gun, but you already knew that.

Using names of posters in your post only shows just how lost militant members of the gun crowd are, and shows how the militant gun crowd is losing this debate.

I'll not repeat our common-sense approaches with our school admins at our local level, since you're not interested in common-sense ...

Yeah..thanks for proving my point about emotional hyperbole and extremism:

"anti weapons of war slaughtering our children".

Lets interject some actual facts and common sense:

But in the 10 years since the previous ban lapsed, even gun control advocates acknowledge a larger truth: The law that barred the sale of assault weapons from 1994 to 2004 made little difference.

It turns out that big, scary military rifles don’t kill the vast majority of the 11,000 Americans murdered with guns each year. Little handguns do.

In 2012, only 322 people were murdered with any kind of rifle, F.B.I. data shows.

More than 20 years of research funded by the Justice Department has found that programs to target high-risk people or places, rather than targeting certain kinds of guns, can reduce gun violence.David M. Kennedy, the director of the Center for Crime Prevention and Control at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, argues that the issue of gun violence can seem enormous and intractable without first addressing poverty or drugs. A closer look at the social networks of neighborhoods most afflicted, he says, often shows that only a small number of men drive most of the violence. Identify them and change their behavior, and it’s possible to have an immediate impact.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/sunday-review/the-assault-weapon-myth.html

Seriously man.. when you state "weapons of war".. you have no clue what you are talking about. that's an emotional hyperbole that's not bound by common sense or facts.

And if YOU want to have a discussion on common sense approaches... lets have it.

But the research is clear.. its not about the firearm.... and common sense shows that focusing on the firearm is doomed to failure.

Its not common sense Minnie.

We already had 10 years of an assault weapons ban, and a ban on high capacity magazine sales. After 10 years.. you know what the research on the ban found? no statistically significant effect on violence or gun violence.

So.. knowing the research.. please explain how its common sense.

they have a right not to sell those guns but when they say they will urge the government to prevent other merchants from selling AR 15s, that is why I won't shop there anymore

We already had 10 years of an assault weapons ban, and a ban on high capacity magazine sales. After 10 years.. you know what the research on the ban found? no statistically significant effect on violence or gun violence.

It is my belief that congress should not have let the ban expire.

Common sense would assume that, if a nutcase wants to kill, he or she will find a way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these psychos plan ahead?

so you don't believe in the second amendment

That’s like saying I am NOT pro choice because I agree that states have a right to ban abortions at viability except if the woman will have irreparabledamage of a major bodily function if the pregnancy continued or if woman’s life was at risk.

That’s like saying I am NOT pro choice because I agree that states have a right to ban abortions at viability except if the woman will have irreparabledamage of a major bodily function if the pregnancy continued or if woman’s life was at risk.

so tell us what do you think the second amendment means-to me it is a blanket prohibition on the federal government from interfering with what bearable arms a private citizen might own or keep

With mass shootings not ceasing and knowing they will continue, this will be the response. Not just from stores, but the government eventually. These types of firearms were banned for nearly a decade. Once the expiration date occurred mass shootings increased nearly 200%. Granted that comes with population inflation, but its still a telling number.
Nice job making and negating your own argument in the same post.

It is my belief that congress should not have let the ban expire.

I am sure.. but the main reason that the ban expired was because the research on the effect of the ban showed that it had no statistically significant effect.

So why.. its it "common sense".. to have restrictions and regulations placed on the citizens of America.. when studies show that that TEN YEARS of those restrictions had no significant effect on the problem?

If you took a medication that was supposed to help your acid reflux.. and after 10 years of taking it.. you had no improvement... would you continue to take that medication? Would it be common sense to do so?

Actually Minnie.. that's exactly right.. you would not be pro choice.

Because if you say its "exception for irreparable damage of bodily function"... you have now taken the decision out of the choice of the patient.. you have taken it even out of the hands of the doctor.. and now you have put the decision into the hands of a government official that then determines whether that condition for exception has been met.

How much do you want to bet that a nutcase who wants to buy an assault style weapon will find one?

Unfortunately, it will happen again. Hopefully the odds of meeting armed resistance will increase and will make these types of killers re-think the plan.

Back
Top Bottom