• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democracy V Republic

Hogwash, nonsense, absolutely untrue. Any country with a constitution is a country based on the rule of law. Being a democracy does not change that fact.
Continued irrational reasoning... You must clear your paradox...

You are completely telling things that are not correct.
Inversion Fallacy. This is what you are doing.

Again, total nonsense. The 3 main separate forms of government are republic, monarchy or dictatorship.
So?

You have heard of the term representative democracy? AKA the first article of the US constitution?
"representative democracy" is not found in the US Constitution.

Nonsense, a republic means the head of state is a president. Not that it has a constitution. Monarchies have constitutions too.
Nope. A republic is rule by law.

...deleted 'holy link'...
I delete holy links on site as well, especially Wikipedia, as Wikipedia is too often poorly written and too often contains much misinformation. Pretty much anyone can edit Wikipedia, which also creates issues.

Wikipedia does not define the word republic, nor any word for that matter. You are making an Appeal to False Authority fallacy.

Even the frigging commies in China have a constitution and that is a communist dictatorship and does not have proper rule of law IMHO.
We are talking about America, not China.

You are totally making things up as you go along.
Inversion Fallacy. This is your problem, not mine.

Republic just means that the countries head of state is a president and the federate just says something about how centralized power is in a country.
Republic means rule of law. Republics have constitutions. Being a federated republic means that there are multiple layers of republics (such as state, local, federal, like we have in America).

And the US has several states that make up 1 republic, not several layers of republic, it has several layers of government, local, state and federal.
Yes, the USA is a republic. It is specifically a federated republic. Texas is a republic, Wisconsin is a republic, Tennessee is a republic, Dane County is a republic, Washington County is a republic... ... ... ... ... That is why the USA is a federated republic. Federated means several layers... A democracy doesn't have several layers like that... A democracy is mob rule (rule of men).

...deleted 'holy link'...
I'm interested in your arguments, not someone elses.

And you are still making no sense/telling things that are untrue.
Inversion Fallacy. This is what you are doing, not me.

Of course you can be a democracy and a republic at the same time. To claim something different is just made nonsense.
No, there can't be. That is arguing a paradox. They are two completely different things, as I have described. You are continuing to argue irrationally since you refuse to clear your paradox. Ignoring paradoxes do not make them go away...

...deleted 'lack of intelligence' mantra... deleted 'holy definition'...

Really? There is no such thing as a democratic republic? There are several countries who has democratic republic in their name, democratic republic of Algeria, democratic republic of Congo, democratic republic of Laos, democratic republic of Nepal.
Yeah. So?

The US congress is a form of representative democracy.
No it is not. It is a federated republic.

Continued irrational reasoning... You must clear your paradox...

Inversion Fallacy. This is what you are doing.

So?

"representative democracy" is not found in the US Constitution.

Nope. A republic is rule by law.

I delete holy links on site as well, especially Wikipedia, as Wikipedia is too often poorly written and too often contains much misinformation. Pretty much anyone can edit Wikipedia, which also creates issues.

Wikipedia does not define the word republic, nor any word for that matter. You are making an Appeal to False Authority fallacy.

We are talking about America, not China.

Inversion Fallacy. This is your problem, not mine.

Republic means rule of law. Republics have constitutions. Being a federated republic means that there are multiple layers of republics (such as state, local, federal, like we have in America).

Yes, the USA is a republic. It is specifically a federated republic. Texas is a republic, Wisconsin is a republic, Tennessee is a republic, Dane County is a republic, Washington County is a republic... ... ... ... ... That is why the USA is a federated republic. Federated means several layers... A democracy doesn't have several layers like that... A democracy is mob rule (rule of men).

I'm interested in your arguments, not someone elses.

Inversion Fallacy. This is what you are doing, not me.

No, there can't be. That is arguing a paradox. They are two completely different things, as I have described. You are continuing to argue irrationally since you refuse to clear your paradox. Ignoring paradoxes do not make them go away...

Yeah. So?

No it is not. It is a federated republic.

Clearly you have no clue what a democracy is and frankly I have better things to do that to keep debunking all the untruths and nonsensical claims that you keep repeating.

The USA is a democracy.

A federal republic is a federation of states with a republican form of government. At its core, the literal meaning of the word republic when used to reference a form of government means: "a country that is governed by elected representatives and by an elected leader (such as a president) rather than by a king or queen".

The United States is the world's oldest surviving federation. The federal republic is a representative democracy, "in which majority rule is tempered by minority rights protected by law"

Now if you want to believe in nonsense, that is your problem, but your claims that the USA is not a democracy is ludicrous and totally untrue.

Clearly you have no clue what a democracy is and frankly I have better things to do that to keep debunking all the untruths and nonsensical claims that you keep repeating.

The USA is a democracy.

A federal republic is a federation of states with a republican form of government. At its core, the literal meaning of the word republic when used to reference a form of government means: "a country that is governed by elected representatives and by an elected leader (such as a president) rather than by a king or queen".

The United States is the world's oldest surviving federation. The federal republic is a representative democracy, "in which majority rule is tempered by minority rights protected by law"

Now if you want to believe in nonsense, that is your problem, but your claims that the USA is not a democracy is ludicrous and totally untrue.

People that make this argument against the idea that there is any democratic element in our form of government seem like they should be appalled that they still have the right to vote.

People that make this argument against the idea that there is any democratic element in our form of government seem like they should be appalled that they still have the right to vote.

completely ignoring facts, reality and when confronted by someone who knows their facts (10 years of further education and dozens of years of election interest) they persist in repeating the same bogus claims.

Democracy is not run by a mob, it is run by elections and by respecting the constitutions of those countries to make sure minorities and rights are respected. I live in a constitutional monarchy, we too have a democratic system based on the rule of law as the frame work for all kinds of civil liberties and civil rights that are guaranteed under the constitution and which guarantees that mob rule does not exist.

The only difference between republics and monarchies is the fact that we have a hereditary monarch as our head of state while countries like the USA have a president as they are republics.

completely ignoring facts, reality and when confronted by someone who knows their facts (10 years of further education and dozens of years of election interest) they persist in repeating the same bogus claims.

Democracy is not run by a mob, it is run by elections and by respecting the constitutions of those countries to make sure minorities and rights are respected. I live in a constitutional monarchy, we too have a democratic system based on the rule of law as the frame work for all kinds of civil liberties and civil rights that are guaranteed under the constitution and which guarantees that mob rule does not exist.

The only difference between republics and monarchies is the fact that we have a hereditary monarch as our head of state while countries like the USA have a president as they are republics.

I've got a mental note to try figuring out where this "republic not a democracy" chant originated and why. I don't recall it being used when I was growing up. Fact is, it's not one OR the other. That's the false choice that's being peddled, but why and where did it come from?

Maybe if you are a rational point my posts might be seen as irrational/ a paradox, but as you do not have a rational point and makes claims that are totally untrue. My posts are totally rational and correct.
My points have been very rational; they have logically followed. You, on the other hand, have committed numerous errors of logic, with this Inversion Fallacy yet adding to the list of errors...

A republic just says something about the head of state, not about how a country is organized. One has either a monarch or a president, so one is a republic or a monarchy. Rule of law is not specific to a republic, that is nonsense. And mob rule is anarchy, not democracy.
Argument by Repetition Fallacy. Making the same assertion over and over again (no matter what counterarguments I present to you) does not magically make your chanted mantra true.

I cannot help it if you do not know the difference between democracy (rule by the people) and anarchy (mob rule).
Inversion Fallacy.

Democracy is rule of men (mob rule). There is still government involved. Anarchy seems to be an absence of government.

Yet again, factual nonsense,
I already corrected you on what a 'fact' is... If you can't even acknowledge that, then I'm willing to bet that you also won't acknowledge that you're wrong about what type of country the USA is...

republic just says something about the head of state being a president and you cannot have several layers of republics, you have several states and on top of that a federal government.
Argument by Repetition Fallacy.

Wisconsin is a republic. Texas is a republic. Wyoming is a republic. Maine is a republic... and so on... The USA (as a whole) is also a republic. Since the states within it are republics, the USA is then a federated republic.

Meaningless repeat of the same nonsensical fantasies.
Inversion Fallacy.

...deleted 'lack of understanding' mantra... deleted Argument by Repetition...

Well my comments are pretty close to fact, yours are pretty much fiction.
Fact and Fiction are not antonyms... I told you what a fact was... You ignored my correction and insist on continually misusing the word. If you're unwilling to learn what a fact is, you will likely also be unwilling to learn what a federated republic is...

The US is government by men, through their representatives. Also the USA is a federation, it is called the federal government and the USA is the United States of America,
No, it is not. It is government by constitution. It is a republic. Yes, we make use of a democratic election process, but that doesn't make the USA a democracy. The USA is a federated republic.

...deleted 'lack of understanding' mantra...
You haven't debunked anything... You have repeated a mantra over and over again, regardless of my corrections...

The USA is a democracy.
Nope. The USA is a federated republic.

...deleted 'holy definitions'...
I am interested in your arguments, not the arguments of others...

Argument of the Stone fallacy.

I've got a mental note to try figuring out where this "republic not a democracy" chant originated and why.
I would look back in history... I would start around when the American colonies broke away from England, and when the colonized states (which had their own constitutions) decided to form a national government (also with a constitution)...

I don't recall it being used when I was growing up.
I do.

Fact is, it's not one OR the other.
Republics and Democracies are two completely different forms of governments. They don't "blend together"...

That's the false choice that's being peddled, but why and where did it come from?
Around the time that the American colonies broke away from England...

completely ignoring facts,
Facts are not universal truths... I've corrected you on this; you continue to ignore the correction without counterargument. You have decided to repeat this false assertion as a mantra... Argument by Repetition fallacy.

Define reality.

and when confronted by someone who knows their facts
You don't even know what a fact actually is... One doesn't "know their facts"... That's not what facts are...

(10 years of further education and dozens of years of election interest)
I don't believe you.

they persist in repeating the same bogus claims.
Inversion Fallacy.

Democracy is not run by a mob,
Yes, it is. It is mob rule. It is rule by men.

it is run by elections and by respecting the constitutions of those countries to make sure minorities and rights are respected.
You keep trying to blend Democracies and Republics together... It doesn't work... It won't work...

I live in a constitutional monarchy, we too have a democratic system based on the rule of law as the frame work for all kinds of civil liberties and civil rights that are guaranteed under the constitution and which guarantees that mob rule does not exist.
I'm not knowledgeable enough on how your government works to speak about it.

Same irrational reasoning from before... You haven't cleared your paradox...

I'll take a stab at this. It seems so simple to me, and I hate to see people struggle so hard.

Pick any word you like, but the USA is a republic, because it uses representatives to make policy decisions.

We aren't a democracy (we don't vote to set policy at the national level) but we do hold democratic elections to select the representatives.

So we are a republic in terms of how we make policy decisions, and a democracy in term of how we select our representatives.

The popular term appears to be "representative democracy" but that's misleading, as there's no democratic element in the policy making once the representative has been selected.

I would look back in history... I would start around when the American colonies broke away from England, and when the colonized states (which had their own constitutions) decided to form a national government (also with a constitution)...

I do.

Republics and Democracies are two completely different forms of governments. They don't "blend together"...

Around the time that the American colonies broke away from England...

"When I was growing up" was the 60's and 70's. Just fyi. Limbaugh wasn't plying his trade yet.

I think you are confusing the small (d)emocracy that makes up part of our political system with big (D)emocracy.

I had a recent discussion with someone on-line. He is an American and states that the USA is not a Democracy, it is a Constitutional Republic.

On YouTube there are a number of videos saying that Democracy is different (and usually inferior) to a Republic.

Are there any US members who actually agree with this ?

For the record I said that a Republic is a form of Democracy (though not all Republics are it is true like the USSR, DDR, PRC, Saddam's Iraq etc)

Thoughts ?

what?! The U.S. is factually a constitutional republic. What is there to discuss?

I've got a mental note to try figuring out where this "republic not a democracy" chant originated and why. I don't recall it being used when I was growing up. Fact is, it's not one OR the other. That's the false choice that's being peddled, but why and where did it come from?

By people hating democracy? Or maybe they just hate the democrats so much that even the country now must be named after their favorite political movement and all mention of the hated demonrats (that's right, nutcase Janine is calling them that) sorry democratic party must be stricken from the US consciousness and the history books. Who knows why fact free people do things.

My points have been very rational; they have logically followed. You, on the other hand, have committed numerous errors of logic, with this Inversion Fallacy yet adding to the list of errors...

As that orange oaf would say:

WRONG!!!!

claiming your illogical views are logical is just more nonsense. Now if you have an actual point people might want to listen to you, now you are just ranting off nonsensical BS.

Argument by Repetition Fallacy. Making the same assertion over and over again (no matter what counterarguments I present to you) does not magically make your chanted mantra true.

Wow, this is you to a fault, making illogical points of view and asserting it time and time again, even if others debunked your nonsense pages ago. Nice try, but a hit and a miss.

Inversion Fallacy.

Democracy is rule of men (mob rule). There is still government involved. Anarchy seems to be an absence of government.

No, democracy is we the people and democracy is elected officials who are your representative to govern/legislate your country. FYI, you do know that it is called the house of REPRESENTATIVES? Just a little side fact to blow your whole nonsensical rant out of the water yet again.

I already corrected you on what a 'fact' is... If you can't even acknowledge that, then I'm willing to bet that you also won't acknowledge that you're wrong about what type of country the USA is...

No, because my claims are fact, yours are fantasy.

Argument by Repetition Fallacy.

Wisconsin is a republic. Texas is a republic. Wyoming is a republic. Maine is a republic... and so on... The USA (as a whole) is also a republic. Since the states within it are republics, the USA is then a federated republic.

Wisconsin is not a republic, Texas might have been a republic in the past, but that was before it became a state, which is what it is now. Texas does not have a president nor it is now a republic. Repeating your nonsense does not make it truthful.

Inversion Fallacy.

Repeating your nonsense does not make my facts a fallacy, just that you are not able to tell things that are in line with facts.

Fact and Fiction are not antonyms... I told you what a fact was... You ignored my correction and insist on continually misusing the word. If you're unwilling to learn what a fact is, you will likely also be unwilling to learn what a federated republic is...[/QUOTE]

No, I ignored your fantasies and untruths, that is something very different.

No, it is not. It is government by constitution. It is a republic. Yes, we make use of a democratic election process, but that doesn't make the USA a democracy. The USA is a federated republic.

Again, your denial of definitions and facts are nonsensical and just fake arguments. It is a republic AND a representative democracy, that is a fact.

You haven't debunked anything... You have repeated a mantra over and over again, regardless of my corrections...

Nope. The USA is a federated republic.

I am interested in your arguments, not the arguments of others...

Argument of the Stone fallacy.

I have already explained why the USA is a federation and a republic and a democracy. That you want to ignore reality is not my issue. I am not going to keep repeating it just because you refuse to acknowledge facts and reality is not my problem.\

Also, either quote me or not quote me. Don't delete my quote and write in your own stuff, not nice and not the way to handle a discussion.

I have already explained why the USA is a federation and a republic and a democracy.
And I have already explained why you are incorrect and provided the correct definitions for those words.

That you want to ignore reality is not my issue. I am not going to keep repeating it just because you refuse to acknowledge facts and reality is not my problem.
Like how you still refuse to acknowledge my correction of your yet continued misuse of the word fact? -- You seem unwilling of accepting correction; it's rather hard to learn that way... ;)

Also, either quote me or not quote me. Don't delete my quote and write in your own stuff, not nice and not the way to handle a discussion.
It has nothing to do with "being mean"... I delete mantras and most 'holy links'/'holy definitions' on sight solely because they add no substance to discussions (and actually divert away from substance).

As that orange oaf would say:

WRONG!!!!
We weren't talking about orange oafs...

claiming your illogical views are logical is just more nonsense.
Define the words logical and illogical... You seem to be using them in a much different way than I am using them... Logical means following the rules of logic. Illogical means making logic errors.

Now if you have an actual point people might want to listen to you, now you are just ranting off nonsensical BS.
I've made my actual points. You keep fallaciously arguing by repetition...

Wow, this is you to a fault, making illogical points of view and asserting it time and time again, even if others debunked your nonsense pages ago. Nice try, but a hit and a miss.
WRONG. Inversion Fallacy... this is your issue, not mine.

No, democracy is we the people and democracy is elected officials who are your representative to govern/legislate your country.
No, it's not. Democracies do not have constitutions. Democracies are mob rule. Republics have constitutions. Republics are rule of law.

FYI, you do know that it is called the house of REPRESENTATIVES?
I sure do.

Just a little side fact to blow your whole nonsensical rant out of the water yet again.
WRONG. Your side "fact" (you're STILL misusing the word 'fact') is irrelevant.

No, because my claims are fact, yours are fantasy.
Facts are NOT universal truths, nor are they proofs. Learn what a fact is...

Wisconsin is not a republic,
Yes, it is. It has elected representatives that exercise power according to the rule of law (the Wisconsin Constitution). Wisconsin is a constitutional republic.

Texas might have been a republic in the past, but that was before it became a state, which is what it is now.
Yes, Texas is one of the 50 States. A State is not a form of government. The form of government in the State of Texas is a Republic. Texas is a Republic. Texas elects representatives which exercise power according to the rule of law (the Texas Constitution). Texas is a constitutional republic.

Texas does not have a president nor it is now a republic.
Texas has a Governor (which is what we call the state level "president"). And Texas is indeed a republic. I have already explained why that is.

Repeating your nonsense does not make it truthful.
Inversion Fallacy. This is what YOU are doing, not me...

Repeating your nonsense does not make my facts a fallacy, just that you are not able to tell things that are in line with facts.
You are STILL misusing the word fact. Facts are NOT universal truths, nor are they proofs. Facts are shorthand predicate accepted by all parties. That's all facts are. Facts don't even have to be true in order to be considered facts. People use facts to speed up conversation.

Again, your denial of definitions and facts are nonsensical and just fake arguments. It is a republic AND a representative democracy, that is a fact.
Inversion fallacy. This is your problem, not mine. Learn what a fact actually is. Continued irrational reasoning by way of paradox... You must clear your paradox. The USA can't simultaneously be a republic and a democracy... One has a constitution and the other doesn't...

And I have already explained why you are incorrect and provided the correct definitions for those words.

:lamo hilarious. You provided correct definitions? No, you mentioned fantasy and fake definitions that are just totally insanely incorrect.

Like how you still refuse to acknowledge my correction of your yet continued misuse of the word fact? -- You seem unwilling of accepting correction; it's rather hard to learn that way... ;)

Because I have a working brain and because I am not afflicted with the bizarre need to rewrite reality to fit some nonsensical theory posted by you and other reality deniers.

It has nothing to do with "being mean"... I delete mantras and most 'holy links'/'holy definitions' on sight solely because they add no substance to discussions (and actually divert away from substance).

I don't care why you deleted it. It was wrong to do so because I did not write what you made me quote to have written. And that you cannot acknowledge facts and reality again is not my problem.

Inversion fallacy. This is your problem, not mine. Learn what a fact actually is. Continued irrational reasoning by way of paradox... You must clear your paradox. The USA can't simultaneously be a republic and a democracy... One has a constitution and the other doesn't...

More repeating of nonsense. You are posting fantasies and when confronted with facts and actual reality you go into a deny deny deny state in which all of your comments make absolutely no sense or are totally fabricated.

Let's just look at your last one, a democracy cannot have a constitution :lamo That is insane, it is factually totally incorrect and is a totally false statement. And FYI, I deleted the stuff that I am not talking about to save space and because nothing in those comments is factual or correct.

CONSTITUTIONAL DEMOCRACY:
AN OUTLINE OF ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS

This outline attempts to set forth the essential elements or characteristics of constitutional democracy. Democracy is government of, by, and for the people. It is government of a community in which all citizens, rather than favored individuals or groups, have the right and opportunity to participate. In a democracy, the people are sovereign. The people are the ultimate source of authority.

In a CONSTITUTIONAL DEMOCRACY the authority of the majority is limited by legal and institutional means so that the rights of individuals and minorities are respected. This is the form of democracy practiced in Germany, Israel, Japan, the United States, and other countries.

This framework is intended to assist interested persons in various nations in establishing or improving curricular programs which foster an understanding of and support for constitutional democracy. The outline must be adapted to fit the circumstances and needs of individual political communities.

I. WHAT ARE THE ESSENTIAL CHARACTERISTICS AND PRINCIPLES OF CONSTITUTIONAL DEMOCRACY?

CONSTITUTIONAL DEMOCRACY is the antithesis of arbitrary rule. It is democracy characterized by:

A. POPULAR SOVEREIGNTY. The people are the ultimate source of the authority of the government which derives its right to govern from their consent.

B. MAJORITY RULE AND MINORITY RIGHTS. Although "the majority rules," the fundamental rights of individuals in the minority are protected.

C. LIMITED GOVERNMENT. The powers of government are limited by law and a written or unwritten constitution which those in power obey.

D. INSTITUTIONAL AND PROCEDURAL LIMITATIONS ON POWERS. There are certain institutional and procedural devices which limit the powers of government. These may include:

1. SEPARATED AND SHARED POWERS. Powers are separated among different agencies or branches of government. Each agency or branch has primary responsibility for certain functions such as legislative, executive, and judicial functions. However, each branch also shares these functions with the other branches.

2. CHECKS AND BALANCES. Different agencies or branches of government have adequate power to check the powers of other branches. Checks and balances may include the power of judicial review and the power of courts to declare actions of other branches of government to be contrary to the constitution and therefore null and void.

3. DUE PROCESS OF LAW. Individual rights to life, liberty, and property are protected by the guarantee of due process of law.

4. LEADERSHIP SUCCESSION THROUGH ELECTIONS. Elections insure that key positions in government will be contested at periodic intervals and that the transfer of governmental authority is accomplished in a peaceful and orderly process.

CONSTITUTIONAL DEMOCRACY

If you want to read up why what you say is utter nonsense please follow above link because it explains it in all

By people hating democracy? Or maybe they just hate the democrats so much that even the country now must be named after their favorite political movement and all mention of the hated demonrats (that's right, nutcase Janine is calling them that) sorry democratic party must be stricken from the US consciousness and the history books. Who knows why fact free people do things.

The dittohead-izing of America...

"America is a republic not a democracy!"

The equally vapid response from the other side would be:
"Saddam had a Republican Guard! Were you a member?"

...deleted Argument of the Stone fallacies... deleted False Authority fallacy...

I think this is where we say goodbye to each other. You refuse to provide counterarguments to my rebuttal of your arguments, and instead resort to irrational reasoning by means of various logical fallacies...

Goodbye, friend...

I think this is where we say goodbye to each other. You refuse to provide counterarguments to my rebuttal of your arguments, and instead resort to irrational reasoning by means of various logical fallacies...

Goodbye, friend...

Great, as long as you deny reality or discuss the facts:

1. the US is governed by the people
2. those people have elected representatives to govern on their behalf
3. elected by the people and representatives equals representative democracy
4. democracies have constitutions

Then no, discussing reality is not an option. Have a nice time but don't expect me to stop posting facts.

1. the US is governed by the people
2. those people have elected representatives to govern on their behalf
3. elected by the people and representatives equals representative democracy
4. democracies have constitutions

For anyone looking onto this conversation...
[1] is false. The USA is governed by the federal Constitution (rule of law) that was created by the States. The USA is a federated republic.

[2] Yes, there are representatives involved.

[3] No it doesn't equal that.

[4] No they don't. Republics have constitutions.

For anyone looking onto this conversation...
[1] is false. The USA is governed by the federal Constitution (rule of law) that was created by the States. The USA is a federated republic.

[2] Yes, there are representatives involved.

[3] No it doesn't equal that.

[4] No they don't. Republics have constitutions.

re #4 : you are resorting to a definition of "Republic" that only you and perhaps a few others use. There is no requirement for a constitution.

Once you declare that you are the source and/or arbiter terms used in a debate, you are setting yourself as an authority and appealing to yourself - which is an absurd ITNism.

In other words, this dance is meaningless.

The USA is a Republic. That is a true statement. However, that statement tells you almost nothing about our form of government. There is further clarification in the US Constitution as well as the Constitution of every state in the union.

I'll take a stab at this. It seems so simple to me, and I hate to see people struggle so hard.

Pick any word you like, but the USA is a republic, because it uses representatives to make policy decisions.

We aren't a democracy (we don't vote to set policy at the national level) but we do hold democratic elections to select the representatives.

So we are a republic in terms of how we make policy decisions, and a democracy in term of how we select our representatives.

The popular term appears to be "representative democracy" but that's misleading, as there's no democratic element in the policy making once the representative has been selected.
The "democracy vs. republic" argument never fails to produce a bunch of lazy arguments and inaccuracies. Of course the United States of America is a constitutional republic at the federal level. But not one single citizen in this entire country is governed only by the federal government. We have state, county, and municipal governments as well who, by most practical estimations, have a heavier hand in the direct day-to-day "governing" of the average citizen than does the federal government. And most, if not all, incorporate democratic features--direct elections, popular referenda, etc. I used to be a legal resident of Washington State. On every ballot that I ever received, in addition to federal elections for presidential electors and members of Congress, as well as elections for state representatives, we voted directly for various state officials (up to the Governor), administrators, judges, and citizen-driven ballot initiatives--such as marijuana legalization a few cycles ago. So if we consider our state and local governments as part of our overall "system" under the principle of federalism--which we must--the United States in total is a hybrid democratic republic.

Back
Top Bottom