• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Defining a Right

What is a Right?

• Total voters
That's not what the founders believed

I say again, "If you are saying he (a slave) doesn't have a right to be free, then just say so and we will know where you stand on the issue."

Only a complete idiot believes in a creator, that's a poetic way to claim things but no evidence that it's actually true. Try again.

If you wish to call me an "idiot," I will wear that title like a badge of honor.

I say again, "If you are saying he (a slave) doesn't have a right to be free, then just say so and we will know where you stand on the issue."

Unless the state says so he does not have that right. Tom Jefferson seemed to agree

The statement was false on its face as slavery and the second class status of women so obviously proved.

The people who signed the Declaration claiming all men are created equal and had certain rights signed it knowing that the government they were creating did nothing to stop those same supposed rights from being ignored. Even Jefferson who wrote the damn thing owned slaves.

I have asked vegas giants this question twice; "If you are saying he (a slave) doesn't have a right to be free, then just say so and we will know where you stand on the issue."

Perhaps, you will answer.

Last edited:
I have asked vegas grant this question twice; "If you are saying he (a slave) doesn't have a right to be free, then just say so and we will know where you stand on the issue."

I gave you the answer our founders gave

Unless the state says so he does not have that right. Tom Jefferson seemed to agree

Please show me where Jefferson said that "slaves did not have a right to be free." He knew better.

That economic rationalization does not change anything as what I said about the signers of the document not believing what it said about all men having certain rights that slavery was the opposite of.

True, it is more an understanding of why they thought that way.

Please show me where Jefferson said that "slaves did not have a right to be free." He knew better.

He did? He did not even free them in his will

I have asked vegas giants this question twice; "If you are saying he (a slave) doesn't have a right to be free, then just say so and we will know where you stand on the issue."

You only have a particular right if the government of the nation you live in says you have a particular right. If the government says you are a slave and you have no right to be free - then , as sad as that is , that is the reality you live under.

No you didn't. You think you did, but you did not. My question is still to you and not the founders: If you are saying he (a slave) doesn't have a right to be free, then just say so and we will know where you stand on the issue."

If you don't want to answer, that's fine. I will take it that you believe a slave does not have a right to be free. As an "Idiot," I am easy to get along with others.

You only have a particular right if the government of the nation you live in says you have a particular right. If the government says you are a slave and you have no right to be free - then , as sad as that is , that is the reality you live under.

Nice dodge. I will add you to the list that says slaves do not have a right to be free.

No you didn't. You think you did, but you did not. My question is still to you and not the founders: If you are saying he (a slave) doesn't have a right to be free, then just say so and we will know where you stand on the issue."

If you don't want to answer, that's fine. I will take it that you believe a slave does not have a right to be free. As an "Idiot," I am easy to get along with others.

I answered quite clearly that the slave does not have the right to be free. Jefferson believed in the same thing

Nice dodge. I will add you to the list that says slaves do not have a right to be free.

A Mack Truck running over an armadillo on a hot Texas interstate could not be any more direct about the answer I gave.

Are you operating under the delusion that I have the power to determine what rights a person has? Because I most certainly DO NOT have that power. Society has the power to do that.

I answered quite clearly that the slave does not have the right to be free. Jefferson believed in the same thing

It does not matter. He thinks he has a trap and wants badly to spring it so any answer anybody gives other than the answer he wants to hear in his head is going to be criticized by him.

Please allow this "Idiot" to address what you have said.

"Throughout his entire life, Thomas Jefferson was a consistent opponent of slavery. Calling it a “moral depravity”1 and a “hideous blot,”2 he believed that slavery presented the greatest threat to the survival of the new American nation. Jefferson also thought that slavery was contrary to the laws of nature, which decreed that everyone had a right to personal liberty. These views were radical in a world where unfree labor was the norm."

https://www.monticello.org/site/plantation-and-slavery/thomas-jefferson-and-slavery

Extract from Thomas Jefferson’s “Notes on the State of Virginia,” 1782
"Deep rooted prejudices entertained by the whites; ten thousand recollections, by the blacks, of the injuries they have sustained; new provocations; the real distinctions which nature has made ... will divide us into parties, and produce convulsions which will probably never end but in the..."

"The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other. [Query XVIII, “Manners”]"

"I think a change already perceptible, since the origin of the present revolution. The spirit of the master is abating, that of the slave rising from the dust, his condition mollifying, the way I hope preparing, under the auspices of heaven, for a total emancipation, and that this is disposed, in..."

Was Jefferson an "idiot" too?

It does not matter. He thinks he has a trap and wants badly to spring it so any answer anybody gives other than the answer he wants to hear in his head is going to be criticized by him.

Untrue. If you say, yes, slaves do not have a right to be free, all I would say is that I understand your position.

Please allow this "Idiot" to address what you have said.

"Throughout his entire life, Thomas Jefferson was a consistent opponent of slavery. Calling it a “moral depravity”1 and a “hideous blot,”2 he believed that slavery presented the greatest threat to the survival of the new American nation. Jefferson also thought that slavery was contrary to the laws of nature, which decreed that everyone had a right to personal liberty. These views were radical in a world where unfree labor was the norm."

https://www.monticello.org/site/plantation-and-slavery/thomas-jefferson-and-slavery

"Deep rooted prejudices entertained by the whites; ten thousand recollections, by the blacks, of the injuries they have sustained; new provocations; the real distinctions which nature has made ... will divide us into parties, and produce convulsions which will probably never end but in the..."

"The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other. [Query XVIII, “Manners”]"

"I think a change already perceptible, since the origin of the present revolution. The spirit of the master is abating, that of the slave rising from the dust, his condition mollifying, the way I hope preparing, under the auspices of heaven, for a total emancipation, and that this is disposed, in..."

Was Jefferson an "idiot" too?

Such a moral depravity that he refused to free his slaves even in death

A Mack Truck running over an armadillo on a hot Texas interstate could not be any more direct about the answer I gave.

Are you operating under the delusion that I have the power to determine what rights a person has? Because I most certainly DO NOT have that power. Society has the power to do that.

As I said, I have your answer and I now know where you stand. And, I didn't even call you a name. I have made my point. Enjoy your day.

Such a moral depravity that he refused to free his slaves even in death

I have never said that he wasn't morally depraved. While he recognized the right to freedom, he abridged the God given right of freedom for others.

I have never said that he wasn't morally depraved. While he recognized the right to freedom, he abridged the God given right of freedom for others.

You have made my point. Thanks

You have made my point. Thanks

Actually, I didn't. All, including slaves, have a right to freedom. And Jefferson said the same. Now that I know where you stand, this is my final posting on this thread. I hate repeating myself more than 50 times. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
As I said, I have your answer and I now know where you stand. And, I didn't even call you a name. I have made my point. Enjoy your day.

And what is your point exactly?

Actually, I didn't. All, including slaves, have a right to freedom. And Jefferson said the same. Now that I know where you stand, this is my final posting on this thread. I hate repeating myself more than 50 times. Have a nice day.

Actions speak louder than words. He did not believe his slaves should be freed

Jefferson had the power to back up what you claim he believed but the did not do so. Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder that words.... even those on old parchment.

Back
Top Bottom