• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Debt ceiling -March 15th

rjay

Rocket Surgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
With seven days left there has been no talk of the debt ceiling. Will the House shut down government?

I am anxiously waiting to see if the last Govt. shutdown was principles or partisan politics.

The suspense is too much.

With seven days left there has been no talk of the debt ceiling. Will the House shut down government?

I am anxiously waiting to see if the last Govt. shutdown was principles or partisan politics.

Well first the last shutdown wasnt a shutdown. Most spending is on autopilot and cant be shutdown. And a lot of the rest is exempt due to necessity. But anyway, the Republicans do not have the balls to actually stop spending, because Dems and the MSM are perfectly willing to take advantage and demonize them. Besides congress has already said the Treasury can move paper around to keep spending even without more borrowing, for months. Not to mention they can cover 95% of spending with taxes. So they really only have to worry about borrowing for the other small part.

CBO: Treasury can avoid breaching debt ceiling until fall | TheHill

Well first the last shutdown wasnt a shutdown. Most spending is on autopilot and cant be shutdown. And a lot of the rest is exempt due to necessity. But anyway, the Republicans do not have the balls to actually stop spending, because Dems and the MSM are perfectly willing to take advantage and demonize them. Besides congress has already said the Treasury can move paper around to keep spending even without more borrowing, for months. Not to mention they can cover 95% of spending with taxes. So they really only have to worry about borrowing for the other small part.

Odd.

I don't remember hearing any of these justifications from anyone on the right when the debt ceiling was reached during Obama's tenure.

Odd.

I don't remember hearing any of these justifications from anyone on the right when the debt ceiling was reached during Obama's tenure.

I was living in the DC area then. The commute was a breeze for a couple of weeks. Then after the grandstanding was over, those folks went back to work. Funny part? The government never stopped paying them.

This issue will be delayed until summer- the Treasury will be able to shuffle accounting around til then.

I'm guessing youll see it passed thru with no drama....because the GOP always knew it was a BS issue and their voters are too stupid to remember what they said last time they had to vote on it.

This issue will be delayed until summer- the Treasury will be able to shuffle accounting around til then.

I'm guessing youll see it passed thru with no drama....because the GOP always knew it was a BS issue and their voters are too stupid to remember what they said last time they had to vote on it.

Its not a BS issue though, any more than any of the other leverages the politicians use. The debt ceiling is just a tool which can be used to force change. And it works.

I'm waiting for actual confirmation, but several charts/reports I have read this week suggest that the debt has actually gone DOWN since President Trump took office. I am very sure that he has instructed those department heads who have already cleared confirmation to spend nothing that is not absolutely necessary.

But if this is true, then they won't need to raise the debt ceiling. And how novel would that be?

Surely the trillion dollar infrastructure spending plan will make it necessary.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I will not stop pointing out the right's hypocrisy. :D

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

You should, because its obvious and doesnt matter. Everyone is a hypocrite. Stick to the actual subject.

I'm waiting for actual confirmation, but several charts/reports I have read this week suggest that the debt has actually gone DOWN since President Trump took office. I am very sure that he has instructed those department heads who have already cleared confirmation to spend nothing that is not absolutely necessary.

But if this is true, then they won't need to raise the debt ceiling. And how novel would that be?

I dont know, the Treasury Website stopped working, no statements since Trump took office. But apparently, the Treasury has been storing cash, and now spending it instead of borrowing, while still having to repay debt, so its gone down a little. Unless they stop spending though, itll just go back up.

LOL.

I'm guessing your reading material is of generally poor quality.

Not sure if you are aware, but the fiscal year spending is fixed through October.

Why Donald Trump's tweet about national debt decrease in his first month is highly misleading | PolitiFact

I dont know, the Treasury Website stopped working, no statements since Trump took office. But apparently, the Treasury has been storing cash, and now spending it instead of borrowing, while still having to repay debt, so its gone down a little. Unless they stop spending though, itll just go back up.

It will unless the President is determined to veto any unnecessary spending which I suspect a President Trump is willing to do.

With just over two days left, Congress seems more concerned about Trump's wiretap allegations.

It will unless the President is determined to veto any unnecessary spending which I suspect a President Trump is willing to do.

I guess we'll see. Hes proposed a lot of spending, and not much cuts yet.

I guess we'll see. Hes proposed a lot of spending, and not much cuts yet.

He can't propose cuts to the existing budget. But we don't know what he and his cabinet are deciding about what to spend of what is already budgeted. President Trump knows anything he says about anything will be portrayed negatively by the MSM, social media, and on message boards by those determined to make him fail so he is actually more careful about what he says than he is given credit for. You may hate this man, but he is not stupid.

He can't propose cuts to the existing budget. But we don't know what he and his cabinet are deciding about what to spend of what is already budgeted. President Trump knows anything he says about anything will be portrayed negatively by the MSM, social media, and on message boards by those determined to make him fail so he is actually more careful about what he says than he is given credit for. You may hate this man, but he is not stupid.

Getting elected POTUS does not mean that you can control congress critters who make laws and create budgets. The POTUS can suggest, pressure, beg, plead and even veto but cannot force congress critters to do his bidding.

I think you might want to reassess that.

Accusing a former President of illegal surveillance with absolutely no evidence is prima facie evidence of being stupid.

Getting elected POTUS does not mean that you can control congress critters who make laws and create budgets. The POTUS can suggest, pressure, beg, plead and even veto but cannot force congress critters to do his bidding.

Nope, but he does have a huge amount of control over spending in every area but entitlements and non breakable contracts. And if the various departments tighten belts, belay spending on non essential things, and in general maintain fiscal responsibility, a whole bunch of billions can be saved. I suspect a Trump presidency won't be spending all that it is alloted just to make sure it gets spent. He favors zero base budgeting and rewarding thriftiness instead of baseline budgeting that encourages professional politicians and bureaucrats to spend every penny they can.

Nope, but he does have a huge amount of control over spending in every area but entitlements and non breakable contracts. And if the various departments tighten belts, belay spending on non essential things, and in general maintain fiscal responsibility, a whole bunch of billions can be saved. I suspect a Trump presidency won't be spending all that it is alloted just to make sure it gets spent. He favors zero base budgeting and rewarding thriftiness instead of baseline budgeting that encourages professional politicians and bureaucrats to spend every penny they can.

Sequestration requires 60 votes to get around, as does the repeal of PPACA. What Trump favors does not change congress critter imposed rules, laws or budgets.

I think you might want to reassess that.

Accusing a former President of illegal surveillance with absolutely no evidence is prima facie evidence of being stupid.

200.webp

Sequestration requires 60 votes to get around, as does the repeal of PPACA. What Trump favors does not change congress critter imposed rules, laws or budgets.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Back
Top Bottom