• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Daily exercise log

It's always something. Tweaked something descending from the left elbow doing skullcrushers.

Then MA seems to have ordered mask wearing always outside starting Friday, so I can't run (no, don't tell me to run in a mask). Guess it's the rowing machine. Probably should have anyway. Left foot started causing a little limping...whatever the pinky-toe-side metatarsal is called.

Leg Iso Lats @ 25 lbs 5x10 on each leg

Dumb bell deadlifts @70 lb 2x5

Squats @205 5x5

Hmmm...I may have gotten away with another lift. I guess we'll see if I'm limping tonight or tomorrow. .

This foot thing is annoying. If I only lift weights and generally focus on upper body, I seem to get away with it. Lower body, or an activity that requires a lot of leg use (ie, shoveling...well, shoveling if you don't want to piss your back off), and I'm limping for days on end.

I'd go in, but I know what they'll say: lay off the foot. Maybe it's a minor stress fracture or tendonitis, or something similar. Granted, I don't want to strain it and have something snap/tear. But I also sure as hell don't want to be hobbling around in one of those damn boots for months. So I think I'll do the usual stubborn man thing and just sort of let it heal on its own time....one day...

It's always something. Tweaked something descending from the left elbow doing skullcrushers.

Then MA seems to have ordered mask wearing always outside starting Friday, so I can't run (no, don't tell me to run in a mask). Guess it's the rowing machine. Probably should have anyway. Left foot started causing a little limping...whatever the pinky-toe-side metatarsal is called.

Outside? In the open air away from anyone? Here I thought Massachusetts politicians were more sensible and that is how they managed not to constantly be pilloried in the national press.

Outside? In the open air away from anyone? Here I thought Massachusetts politicians were more sensible and that is how they managed not to constantly be pilloried in the national press.

Most people seem to be ignoring it without consequence. The earlier orders excluded outdoor recreation, wisely. The last order I looked at seemed to have no exclusion. But people and the police seem to have not bothered to read it....

Most people seem to be running with their mask under their chin, and pulling it up to pass people.

But now I can't run for a different reason: my damned foot.

Seems like a requirement to always wear a mask outside would be unenforceable. There is no way in hell I would run with a mask. Being outside reduces your likelihood of spreading COVID to others by something like 15 fold. As long as someone maintained an appropriate distance while running outside, there would be no risk at all.

Personally, I think skullcrushers are a terrible exercise in terms of being injury prone. I don't do them. It's not a natural movement for the body either. Standing barbell shoulder presses, barbell bench, and dips - particularly weighted, work my triceps pretty hard without so much risk.

Seems like a requirement to always wear a mask outside would be unenforceable. There is no way in hell I would run with a mask. Being outside reduces your likelihood of spreading COVID to others by something like 15 fold. As long as someone maintained an appropriate distance while running outside, there would be no risk at all.

Personally, I think skullcrushers are a terrible exercise in terms of being injury prone. I don't do them. It's not a natural movement for the body either. Standing barbell shoulder presses, barbell bench, and dips - particularly weighted, work my triceps pretty hard without so much risk.

It's an old habit. Been doing them since HS... I don't seem to get many injuries from it. Maybe a few minor ones over the years, like the last one. I more or less simply avoided doing crushers for a week or so and it went away. So, I still stubbornly do them, plus lots of weighted dips.

Bench is out since my wife couldn't spot. Standing presses are out since I'm 6 feet and the basement ceiling is 11.5" higher.... crappy low-ceiling.

The mask thing doesn't look entirely enforced. Either way, not long after I posted that, a foot injury from back in the spring flared up again. (As I say, it's always something). I should get a new pair of shoes. The last ones must have done something imperceivable to my stride, because it's been the same damn thing three times now. Once on one foot, twice on the other, all in the same general location and with the same general feel.

Well, the foot is finally mostly healed. I suppose it was likely a stress fracture(s) given that it throbbed/stabbed for a couple months followed by a couple more months of intermittent pain depending on just how much stress was put on it. (ie, shoveling snow for a couple hours would have me limping for a while). So that's good.

Unfortunately, between that and something good but with a heavy impact on my schedule, I lost a fair amount of time in my basement gym. Either way, I've been spending at least several hours a week at gaining back everything, but for example, the first 4 of 18ish sets of weighted deadlifts are at 175lb around the waist rather than 210lb, with other reductions in later sets. Lost a couple reps off most other things and need to drop the weight a bit for sets 3-4, and 5-6.

I also seem to improve faster since i split my three circuit workout into two circuits, but doubling the amount of sets from 3 to 6 per exercise.

So it's basically Day 1: Circuit one 6x
Day 2: Circuit two, 6x
Day 3: rest.

Once I can use my foot properly Day 3 will be leg day, and the only days off will be if I simply cannot take 75 minutes out of my schedule....or if I find it's a little too grueling re: recovery. No point pushing past where you cannot reasonably recover in time before the next workout.

[circuits described]

I haven't deadlifted or ran in several months for obvious reasons, so that's where I'm going to see the worst losses. I did up the speed of the weights workouts so that they're closer to cardio, so hopefully that helps, and began easing into the rowing machine. Less impact, but still not great for the foot.

Well, I managed my first run in 8 months. Thus far my foot seems to be holding up.

Seems the intent behind my weights workout paid off. They only breaks I take are brief 20-30 second things between the 1st&2nd, then 2nd&3rd set of weighted dips. (I do three sets in each pass through the circuit). Barely lost any aerobic fitness.

Now....let's just hope I'm not limping tomorrow. Or in a couple hours.

I went for a nice 35 minute run yesterday, definitely gonna do it again today.

5.3-mile walk to get some cat food, stopping along the way at the local YMCA for a 30-minute elliptical run.

Pyramid. Started at 30 and decreased by 5 each round except for where noted:

Push-ups
Russian Twists
5 pull ups (Stable)
Crunches
15 inverted pull ups (Stable)
Reverse Crunches

I walk/jog about 20 miles a week.

Sydney Cummings is my exercise crack.

I watched a few minutes of that and she is great.

She's my fave! I just finished an arm workout and my arms are going to be DEAD tomorrow.

She's my fave! I just finished an arm workout and my arms are going to be DEAD tomorrow.
Congrats!! When your arms do wake up they will be singing with joy! Im sure you feel the same as me. Whenever i finish a jog or brisk walk i feel better about myself.

Things have been going increasingly well on the cardio front since my left foot healed. Got through a 3 mile run in about 18 minutes. I still want to shave another minute off each mile, but who knows... I get competitive with myself, then I get reminded of my age.

Last edited:
I am 66 and a little overweight. Got sick of it a couple of months ago. Drinking vegetable smoothies for breakfast, got me a total gym and work out every other day and put a stationary bike in my office. Do 30min a day. Hope to work up to an hour. Even an old body reacts to exercise quickly. Strength and flexibility improving weekly. Weight dropping about 2 pounds a week. Feel great.

Haven't posted in here for a while. I've been walking and trying to eat low fat. Finally starting weighing myself again, and I'm at my high school weight. I don't know how much i lost. I would like to drop a bit more, but I'm middle aged now, and losing weight is more difficult. Still, so far, so good.

But the feeling of accomplishment is awesome.

Haven't posted in here for a while. I've been walking and trying to eat low fat. Finally starting weighing myself again, and I'm at my high school weight. I don't know how much i lost. I would like to drop a bit more, but I'm middle aged now, and losing weight is more difficult. Still, so far, so good.
Congrats!!! Keep up the good work and the pounds will melt!!

I am 66 and a little overweight. Got sick of it a couple of months ago. Drinking vegetable smoothies for breakfast, got me a total gym and work out every other day and put a stationary bike in my office. Do 30min a day. Hope to work up to an hour. Even an old body reacts to exercise quickly. Strength and flexibility improving weekly. Weight dropping about 2 pounds a week. Feel great.
Keep it up!!!

Oof. Had my old cat on my lap for quite a while last night. This already puts me in an awkward position. May have occasionally wrapped my foot around the chair leg (it seems comfortable, I dunno). I'm also generally in odd positions more frequently because it seems a mismatch between chair and desk height (desk chairs broke; I'm temporarily using others) is causing something like carpal tunnel - portions of my right arm and hand go numb when held in various positions. Ok. That's all minorly annoying.

Cat jumps off, asks for more food. Ok. I spin to my left to hop up and the moment I put pressure on the left knee zzzzzzzzzzap, and I pretty much fall to my right knee. Limping around the house badly since then, trying to minimize walking. Hooray old age!

That knee had already hurt after crawling around with the kiddo all weekend...

Back
Top Bottom