• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cut-And-Paste Job: 'My Father Wrote Putin's Dissertation'

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Cut-And-Paste Job: 'My Father Wrote Putin's Dissertation'

By Dmitry Volchek and Robert Coalson
March 07, 2018

18CBC56A-5BCF-4ACF-9BFD-8F042C09859B_cx36_cy7_cw64_w408_r1.jpg

Olga Litvinenko

Olga Litvinenko spent the summer of 1997 as a teenager at her father's dacha outside St. Petersburg. But it wasn't your usual summer of mushroom hunting and firing up the samovar. She says she spent the summer helping her father, Vladimir Litvinenko, the newly installed rector of the National Mineral Resources University, write a candidate's dissertation for a political up-and-comer, Vladimir Putin. Accusations that there was something fishy about Putin's dissertation are not new. A 2006 investigation by the Brookings Institution found strong evidence that most of the dissertation had been plagiarized from just two sources. Olga Litvinenko has been a harsh critic of Putin and of her father for several years. She lives in Poland and has charged that her father is keeping her 8-year-old daughter, Ester-Maria Litvinenko, unlawfully. For his part, Vladimir Litvinenko has filed a police report that Olga was kidnapped. In January, a St. Petersburg court annulled Olga's passport, a move she says her father arranged to prevent her from returning to Russia. Vladimir Litvinenko, who has been dubbed "the richest rector in Russia," became rector of the National Mineral Resources University (also called the St. Petersburg Mining University) in 1994.

"My father met Putin in 1991 though Gennady Belik, who was the head of the association of foreign-intelligence veterans," Olga Litvinenko says. "After he became rector, he used his official position and organized an illegal business preparing dissertations," Olga Litvinenko says of her father. Olga Litvinenko says an entire "criminal group" was formed that included professors, lecturers, and scientists tasked with producing the dissertations and pushing them through the defense process. "He wrote Putin's dissertation personally," she says of her father. "In 1997, they brought a copying machine to our dacha and my father took a vacation. Putin never came to the dacha. He never consulted with my father about his dissertation.... Everything was written exclusively by my father." At the time, Putin had already moved to Moscow and was working as deputy presidential chief of staff. "Maybe my father wrote it for him for free," Litvinenko says when asked if she knew how much Putin might have paid. "For one thing, he was [Putin's] man at the rector's post. They did business together and not just once. So I don't think you can talk about a particular payment. It is possible that it was a favor from my father for the help in getting the rector's post."

According to Russian records, Putin obtained a PhD. in Economic Science from the St. Petersburg Mining Institute in 1996. Putin never attended the institute nor studied any facet of economics. After researchers obtained a previously inaccessible copy of the PhD. dissertation in 2005, it became clear that the PhD. dissertation was plagiarized from two sources.

Related: Putin's Thesis (Raw Text)

A president cheated.

Is that news?

At least they were able to track it down -- Obama's college records are still under lock and key. And, I'd be willing to bet there's a good reason for that.

A president cheated.

Is that news?

At least they were able to track it down -- Obama's college records are still under lock and key. And, I'd be willing to bet there's a good reason for that.

Is the good reason because they are confidential and colleges aren't allowed to just show everyone a student's records? It's against the law to do so. As to Putin, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a fake PhD. People with power do crap like this all the time to create the illusion that they are better than others. It's an ego and PR thing.

A president cheated.

Is that news?

Why do you do this? Do you imagine none of us have any basic understanding of researching outlandish lies and claims on the internet?

I seem to remember correcting a claim you made on another thread about Italy and its deportation of migrants. Here on another thread you are repeating an old internet lie which factcheck and snopes disproved 7 years ago.

Is the good reason because they are confidential and colleges aren't allowed to just show everyone a student's records? It's against the law to do so. As to Putin, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a fake PhD. People with power do crap like this all the time to create the illusion that they are better than others. It's an ego and PR thing.

I'm sure you're correct - on both cases, the confidentiality and Putin getting a fake PhD -- but income taxes are also personal and against the law for the IRS to release, and yet Obama (other other presidents) released his. Not so for his school records, however, which he will not release, yet he was asked to do so.

Why do you do this? Do you imagine none of us have any basic understanding of researching outlandish lies and claims on the internet?

I seem to remember correcting a claim you made on another thread about Italy and its deportation of migrants. Here on another thread you are repeating an old internet lie which factcheck and snopes disproved 7 years ago.

Neither one of your links disproves my statement, which had nothing to do with Obama attending/not attending Columbia (I assume we all know he did) or with the records being sealed by a court order. I simply said they were still under "lock and key," meaning Obama still hasn't released them, although he's been asked to do so for many years.

A president cheated.

Is that news?

Really? And based on your post, it sounds like you have a really good idea what that "reason" is. What might that be???

Lackluster grades?

That's my guess.

What's yours?

I wouldn't suppose lackluster grades because I saw/heard him as a Senator/candidate/President. He's a smart guy. I really don't care that the records weren't released. Biden's and Bush's were leaked, not released.

I'm not really sure how a lackluster student could run the academic gauntlet listed nicely here:
https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-Ob...made-public-in-documents-that-can-be-verified

without some InfoWars/WMD/AmericanThinker level conspiracy. And those outlets are almost never right. But, if you google "obama college records" they sure have a lot of links relating to it. (They're birthers...)

I wouldn't suppose lackluster grades because I saw/heard him as a Senator/candidate/President. He's a smart guy. I really don't care that the records weren't released. Biden's and Bush's were leaked, not released.

I'm not really sure how a lackluster student could run the academic gauntlet listed nicely here:
https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-Ob...made-public-in-documents-that-can-be-verified

Obama's admitted to having gone through a drug-experimenting period, and I would suppose lackluster grades might go hand-in-hand with that, but of course I don't know because he won't show us his grades. Usually, students don't mind sharing good grades -- it's poor ones that they prefer to conceal. But, again, we can only surmise.

As far as the awards bestowed on him -- I don't think those are indicative of anything beyond politically correct statements. After all, remember how they gave him a Nobel Peace Prize and then he proceeded to lead an attack on Libya, which ended in the murder of that nation's leader and then he tried to lead an attack on Syria but Congress shook their heads. People don't always deserve the awards they receive.

without some InfoWars/WMD/AmericanThinker level conspiracy. And those outlets are almost never right. But, if you google "obama college records" they sure have a lot of links relating to it. (They're birthers...)

I'll leave you to do the googling. I don't read any of the three publications you cite so their theories don't really interest me.

I agree with you that Obama is a smart man -- I'm just guessing low grades are the reason he refused to release his school records.

Obama's admitted to having gone through a drug-experimenting period, and I would suppose lackluster grades might go hand-in-hand with that, but of course I don't know because he won't show us his grades. Usually, students don't mind sharing good grades -- it's poor ones that they prefer to conceal. But, again, we can only surmise.

As far as the awards bestowed on him -- I don't think those are indicative of anything beyond politically correct statements. After all, remember how they gave him a Nobel Peace Prize and then he proceeded to lead an attack on Libya, which ended in the murder of that nation's leader and then he tried to lead an attack on Syria but Congress shook their heads. People don't always deserve the awards they receive.

I'll leave you to do the googling. I don't read any of the three publications you cite so their theories don't really interest me.

I agree with you that Obama is a smart man -- I'm just guessing low grades are the reason he refused to release his school records.

Okay. Fair enough. I guess I mistakenly thought you were going down the "he got everything handed to him because black/affirmative action,etc". path. I did think that would be beneath you, so my apologies for even entertaining the thought.

Okay. Fair enough. I guess I mistakenly thought you were going down the "he got everything handed to him because black/affirmative action,etc". path. I did think that would be beneath you, so my apologies for even entertaining the thought.

Nah, I'm not going down that path. Obama wasn't my most favorite president, he's a smart man. I've often said that I'd like to have him and Michelle for neighbors. And, if the democrats were smart, they'd run Michelle in 2020. You can search my posts here -- I've often called her a "national treasure," and I just might vote for her myself.

Secretly, of course. ;)

Nah, I'm not going down that path. Obama wasn't my most favorite president, he's a smart man. I've often said that I'd like to have him and Michelle for neighbors. And, if the democrats were smart, they'd run Michelle in 2020. You can search my posts here -- I've often called her a "national treasure," and I just might vote for her myself.

Secretly, of course. ;)

Interesting. I think she's said that she isn't interested in running, but in the current environment she'd likely do very well. 2020 may be very different, but who knows.

I thought that Obama was a pretty mediocre president, but I do think a lot of that was because we live in an age of polarized obstructionism along with lobbyist directed legislating. No good can come from that.

I'm sure you're correct - on both cases, the confidentiality and Putin getting a fake PhD -- but income taxes are also personal and against the law for the IRS to release, and yet Obama (other other presidents) released his.

Any US citizen can lawfully release their own tax returns.

Neither one of your links disproves my statement ~

"under lock and key?"

The factcheck article puts that bit of trolling away. Anyhow, well done for turning a thread in the European forum on Putin (loosely European) into one of on an American (Obama.)

Often find this on some forums, criticism of Putin being deflected successfully onto other subjects. ;)

"under lock and key?"

The factcheck article puts that bit of trolling away. Anyhow, well done for turning a thread in the European forum on Putin (loosely European) into one of on an American (Obama.)

Often find this on some forums, criticism of Putin being deflected successfully onto other subjects. ;)

I actually stated that Putin probably did it -- it's just that when certain other leaders are brought up in comparison, certain posters seem to get their feathers ruffled.

Back
Top Bottom