• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Current TV Series You'd Like To Recommend (1 Viewer)

We must have a lot of the same taste in TV... exact same for me.
I really wanted to like it. Everything about it had promise, new and different story-line... but we just couldn't get into it.
We quit after the 3rd episode also.

Not every show can be good at everything. It's not reasonable to expect every show to be the kind of character-driven masterpiece that The Wire, Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul were. But that doesn't mean you can just throw character driven narrative into a dumpster altogether. Do that and it doesn't matter what any of the story's strengths are, because what you're essentially saying is that the human condition is irrelevant. And if there's a surefire away to alienate (and bore) your audience, eliminate the human condition from your story.

If you guys want 2 fantastic, character-driven, very different from each other series, then I'll go back to the best 2 I've watched in a few yrs:

Extraordinary Attorney Woo, Netflix. Touching, very funny, awkward, smart, poignant, normal human treachery, just great. Sometimes just beautiful with the affinity she has with whales.

Deadloch, Amazon, shot in Tasmania and I recommended turning on subtitles, lol. So you dont miss the local jargon. Black humor crime drama series about local serial killer. Blunt, naked humanism, gritty, hilarious, unexpected.

Esp @Cardinal, @Felis Leo, @Lovebug, @Rexedgar, @justabubba, @iamwhatiseem from recent conversations here.

Lovebug, I dont know about Deadloch for you :D

I just finished watching Shogun. Very well-written. The way it captures the essence of the historical era it portrays is remarkable. What I appreciated most was its commitment to authenticity without going overboard and feeling forced or exaggerated. The character development was also not bad at all. 8.5/10.

If you guys want 2 fantastic, character-driven, very different from each other series, then I'll go back to the best 2 I've watched in a few yrs:

Extraordinary Attorney Woo, Netflix. Touching, very funny, awkward, smart, poignant, normal human treachery, just great. Sometimes just beautiful with the affinity she has with whales.

Deadloch, Amazon, shot in Tasmania and I recommended turning on subtitles, lol. So you dont miss the local jargon. Black humor crime drama series about local serial killer. Blunt, naked humanism, gritty, hilarious, unexpected.

Esp @Cardinal, @Felis Leo, @Lovebug, @Rexedgar, @justabubba, @iamwhatiseem from recent conversations here.

Lovebug, I dont know about Deadloch for you :D
appreciate the deadloch recommendation; i will make a point to watch it

cardinal mentioned the wire in the same sentence as just call saul and breaking bad, which really motivates me to open that one up

good call on extraordinary attorney woo. but any new viewer should anticipate that it is going to be VERY quirky, as there may be south korean humor and conventions on display, in addition to the neuro-divergent approaches taken by the main character. some of the story lines were o'henry-esque ... at least to this barely-literate bubba. it was a fun ... and different ... watch

It is pretty gritty and every other word is twat or ****. It's like breathing to them, lol.

But it's great and I really do recommend it.

appreciate the deadloch recommendation; i will make a point to watch it

cardinal mentioned the wire in the same sentence as just call saul and breaking bad, which really motivates me to open that one up

good call on extraordinary attorney woo. but any new viewer should anticipate that it is going to be VERY quirky, as there may be south korean humor and conventions on display, in addition to the neuro-divergent approaches taken by the main character. some of the story lines were o'henry-esque ... at least to this barely-literate bubba. it was a fun ... and different ... watch

With Woo, one should definitely use subtitles because her acting and execution is exquisite. Not to be missed. And it's so quirky that one just anticipates what could possibly happen next? And of course it elicits so much hope for the outcomes.

I didnt watch The Wire but Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad are very good, altho it took me 3 tries to get into BB.

Not every show can be good at everything. It's not reasonable to expect every show to be the kind of character-driven masterpiece that The Wire, Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul were. But that doesn't mean you can just throw character driven narrative into a dumpster altogether. Do that and it doesn't matter what any of the story's strengths are, because what you're essentially saying is that the human condition is irrelevant. And if there's a surefire away to alienate (and bore) your audience, eliminate the human condition from your story.
And then sometimes a show has all of that, but the studio kills it anyway.
Night Sky was excellent... characterization and human interest all over the place.
But Amazon killed it despite having raving critical review and audience testing.
If every studio quit due to low viewership after just one season - there would be virtually no shows.

It is pretty gritty and every other word is twat or ****. It's like breathing to them, lol.

But it's great and I really do recommend it.
I watched the main actress on Wentworth. I highly recommend that one and the Turkish equivalent the yard.

Shogun miniseries (2024) I watched the Richard Chamberlain version a few years back, so the storyline was fairly predictable since both versions follow the book. The main difference other than production values is the tone, since the original adaptation was more like an introduction to Japanese culture and history due to the time in came out, when many people in the West didn't know much about it. But with the popularity of Japanese shows now, the cliff notes version was done away with, for a more Japanese-centric story.

Another big change is this version isn't all in Blackthorne's POV. Toranaga and Mariko have very expanded scenes and backstory, which fleshes out their characters immensely. Much of the show is in fact in Japanese, and theres no narrator. Plenty of palace intrigue and all that, so that was another welcome change.

And most of all, Blackthorne is a very different character too. In this new version he's a cynical opportunist, while in the original, Chamberlain portrayed him as fair and honorable if very naive. Much of the subplots with the Portuguese is also different, and the Spanish character is less of factor in their one too.

All in all, it was fairly good. Rating: 8/10

“A Man In Full” from a Tom Wolfe book and stars Jeff Daniels. It’s lead is a very Trumpian character, but it hasn’t convinced me to continue after the first episode.

Shogun miniseries (2024) I watched the Richard Chamberlain version a few years back, so the storyline was fairly predictable since both versions follow the book. The main difference other than production values is the tone, since the original adaptation was more like an introduction to Japanese culture and history due to the time in came out, when many people in the West didn't know much about it. But with the popularity of Japanese shows now, the cliff notes version was done away with, for a more Japanese-centric story.

Another big change is this version isn't all in Blackthorne's POV. Toranaga and Mariko have very expanded scenes and backstory, which fleshes out their characters immensely. Much of the show is in fact in Japanese, and theres no narrator. Plenty of palace intrigue and all that, so that was another welcome change.

And most of all, Blackthorne is a very different character too. In this new version he's a cynical opportunist, while in the original, Chamberlain portrayed him as fair and honorable if very naive. Much of the subplots with the Portuguese is also different, and the Spanish character is less of factor in their one too.

All in all, it was fairly good. Rating: 8/10

Good review. I binge watched the original series only a few weeks ago, and did the same with the new production yesterday. After the last episode, I felt a bit sad. There is a lot there to ponder, especially the circumstances surrounding Mariko's death and Fuji's farewell.

Reactions: PoS
Good review. I binge watched the original series only a few weeks ago, and did the same with the new production yesterday. After the last episode, I felt a bit sad. There is a lot there to ponder, especially the circumstances surrounding Mariko's death and Fuji's farewell.
Yeah it was kinda abrupt, but it was very much like the book.

Battlestar Galactica, the 2004 reboot, has been released on Amazon Prime. Apparently the original miniseries wasn’t included, but the other 4 seasons were.

Battlestar Galactica, the 2004 reboot, has been released on Amazon Prime. Apparently the original miniseries wasn’t included, but the other 4 seasons were.
The miniseries became the first part of season 1. there are also three movies. Razor, Blood and Chrome, and The Plan. I have these all on Bluray.

The miniseries became the first part of season 1. there are also three movies. Razor, Blood and Chrome, and The Plan. I have these all on Bluray.
I started up season 1 on Amazon, but it starts after the point where the miniseries stopped. The first Amazon episode is ‘33’. I also have the series on DVD so I watched the miniseries last night.

For those unfamiliar with the reboot/re-imaged Battlestar Galactica, it is fantastic, and not cheesy like the original.

If you like Re-imaged old series, Lost in Space is done exceptionally well.

I saw this looking for Lost in Space trailer.... it is a must see for me!

I liked the first couple of episodes, then it became a cheap boring drag with endless closeups of Baltar muttering to himself.

I liked the first couple of episodes, then it became a cheap boring drag with endless closeups of Baltar muttering to himself.
I was thinking last night that I’ll be able to hate on Gaius Baltar all over again.

For those unfamiliar with the reboot/re-imaged Battlestar Galactica, it is fantastic, and not cheesy like the original.

If you like Re-imaged old series, Lost in Space is done exceptionally well.

I saw this looking for Lost in Space trailer.... it is a must see for me!

It was very good but chopped up and spread out over years. You'd lose context in between seasons and it wasnt available for streaming at the time. I lost track of it over time, sadly and it didnt make sense when just jumping back in randomly.

I was thinking last night that I’ll be able to hate on Gaius Baltar all over again.
Gaius isn't the same evil manipulative type as in the original. He is just a self centered man, that got caught up by accident to be in collusion with the Cylons. He isn't evil, but it is hard to feel sorry for him allowing himself to become a pawn since he is so self-centered.

It was very good but chopped up and spread out over years. You'd lose context in between seasons and it wasnt available for streaming at the time. I lost track of it over time, sadly and it didnt make sense when just jumping back in randomly.
I agree, I will often watch a season, and if I like it, wait until it is all finished. Then by the complete series on disk, and binge watch it. I got lazy and stopped updating my database after I hit over 1,2000 titles. That was a few years ago. I easily have over 1,400 titles now.

By titles, I mean how I bought them. For example, I have all of ST DS9 in 7 separate cases/season. I have all of ST TNGs 7 seasons in one box. I have mostly movies, but several series.

I did have Game of Thrones as separate seasons, but upgraded to the 4k box set for all 10 seasons.

i have lots of old stuff in my collection like Hogans Heroes, M*A*S*H, Rat Patrol, I dream of Jeannie, It Takes a Thief, Mission impossible, etc... one and one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom