• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Current TV Series You'd Like To Recommend

I'm into Watchmen and it's a ridiculously worthy successor to the original comic.

For those who've only watched the movie, you'll be a little bit confused because the HBO series doesn't acknowledge the changes in the cinematic version. If you give two damns about this show then I'd recommend reading the graphic novel.

Jeremy Irons is Adrian Veidt, and so far he's owning the stage. And if you're at all familiar with Jeremy Irons, that really won't come as a surprise to you. HBO likes to use absurdly top-shelf actors for their leading roles, such as how they used Anthony Hopkins in West World.

The Boys -- has anybody ever seen this show? It's a different take on the superhero genre. If you liked Deadpool, then you'll like this series.

Yes, I have. It's pretty good, indeed.

I'm into Watchmen and it's a ridiculously worthy successor to the original comic.

For those who've only watched the movie, you'll be a little bit confused because the HBO series doesn't acknowledge the changes in the cinematic version. If you give two damns about this show then I'd recommend reading the graphic novel.

Jeremy Irons is Adrian Veidt, and so far he's owning the stage. And if you're at all familiar with Jeremy Irons, that really won't come as a surprise to you. HBO likes to use absurdly top-shelf actors for their leading roles, such as how they used Anthony Hopkins in West World.

What is it about?

Apparently Mad Dogs has a second and a third seasons but I can't seem to find them in my paid TV system. Season 1 is on Amazon Prime but season 2 is not showing as available anywhere. Does anybody here have a hint on how to watch it? Apparently season 2 is as good as 1 but 3 is bad. I'd like to at least watch season 2, even if have to pay extra for it, but I made a search including paid channels and didn't find it anywhere.

What is it about?

Too complex to answer. Superheroes are the stage, but that's a stupid oversimplification. The original comic seems largely to be about the nucelar apocalyptic insecurity of the time it was made in as well as the American fascism created in the 50's and how that led to the 80's. But again, this is an extraordinary oversimplification.

As for the show? It's another social commentary, this time springboarded from the White Supremacy movement in the United States and the efforts of the US government to combat it, as well as the inherently contradictory motives of a masked law enforcement institution to combat vigilantes, and-

Look, there's a lot of stuff going on right now, so it's hard to peg the central theme of the show just three episodes in, but it's clear they've put a lot of thought into it and it's worth giving it a chance in order to see where it goes.

Ha anybody seen Killing Eve? Since it is written by the same brilliant woman who created the masterpiece Fleabag, I figure that it must be good. Opinons?

White Christmas scared the crap out of me. Nosedive and Hang the DJ have the most replay value and I love the actresses.

But all time favorite, San Junipero; Made me rethink my desire to escape death by downloading my consciousness.

It's not for nothing that San Junipero won prizes. That's the best episode of an extraordinary series, so, top of the top. Amazing. True masterpiece. Poignant and thought-provoking, emotionally intense. That's a whole concept in itself, like a very high quality movie.

Big news- Netflix cancelled Daredevil. Wow. I guess this means theyre getting rid of all their Marvel superhero shows since Disney will start their own Marvel franchise on their streaming service. Oh well. :roll:

Watergate 2018 Miniseries- if you havent read Woodward and Bernstien's book All the President's Men and The Final Days, this documentary will do the job. It's well done and very concise. Check it out. 8.5/10

Les Bureau Des Legendes
, or simply The Bureau (on Sundance network, or Netflix). If you're looking for a good spy thriller series, this is the best that's out there. It totally blows away Condor and Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan out of the water. 4th season is coming up, and I'm still catching up on the 3rd season right now. Excellent storylines, and they really show how spycraft is done, so its great research material for my books. Of course, its in French, so you have to read subtitles unless you speak the language. 9/10

Also finished Castlevania Season 2. Excellent anime. Very well done. 8.5/10

Oh and there's going to be a live adaptation of Cowboy Bebop soon! :mrgreen:

Great, I'll watch the French show. I do speak very fluent French.

Jack Ryan season 2 is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever watched. It is simply awful. While Season 1 was a mixed bag, it was still largely entertaining, at least a 6 out of 10, while season 2 is definitely a 1 out of 10. What a letdown!

Das Boot started off well, but quickly went downhill. I dont recommend it. Ugh. All the cliches you could think of ended up being shown. Lots of lazy writing too. Final score: 4.5/10

Gomorrah season 4- started off so-so but really picked up steam. This remains my all-time favorite crime show after The Wire. Apparently this beats GoT ratings in Italy and I can see why. It's nihilistic and brutal, plus based on real life incidents. If you don't mind watching subtitles then I highly recommend this. 8.5/10

I speak Italian but apparently it doesn't matter because the show is in Neapolitan which I understand a bit but not entirely. Say, 70% of the words are intelligible but the accent also makes it a bit harder to understand (I get written Neapolitan better than the spoken kind). Anyway, should be interesting. I don't mind subtitles. I don't understand why people get so turned off by subtitles. Actually I always watch shows in English with closed captions just so that I don't miss something by getting distracted or someone making some kind of noise at home. What's wrong with subtitles? Nothing, I say. Anyway, I'll get to Gomorrah eventually, have other priorities now:

The Bureau
Killing Eve
Goliath season 2

And like I said in another post, I really would like to watch Mad Dogs season 2 but I can't seem to find it.

By the way, PoS, I like your reviews. Very much to the point, and I tend to agree with most of your evaluations of these shows.

The Boys -- has anybody ever seen this show? It's a different take on the superhero genre. If you liked Deadpool, then you'll like this series.

Probably the best superhero TV show for me so far, which is a surprise because I read the comic book and I initially thought the changes would make it worse, but actually made it better.

Great, I'll watch the French show. I do speak very fluent French.

Jack Ryan season 2 is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever watched. It is simply awful. While Season 1 was a mixed bag, it was still largely entertaining, at least a 6 out of 10, while season 2 is definitely a 1 out of 10. What a letdown!

In that case, yes, watch The Bureau- its everything Jack Ryan isnt.

I speak Italian but apparently it doesn't matter because the show is in Neapolitan which I understand a bit but not entirely. Say, 70% of the words are intelligible but the accent also makes it a bit harder to understand (I get written Neapolitan better than the spoken kind). Anyway, should be interesting. I don't mind subtitles. I don't understand why people get so turned off by subtitles. Actually I always watch shows in English with closed captions just so that I don't miss something by getting distracted or someone making some kind of noise at home. What's wrong with subtitles? Nothing, I say. Anyway, I'll get to Gomorrah eventually, have other priorities now:

Oh if you like quality TV and dont mind subtitles, then you'll love Gomorrra. Italy has been hitting it out of the park with mafia tv shows. If you like this one, I would also suggest Suburra and Romanzo Criminale- they deal with the mafia outfits in Rome.

I was in Naples a few years back, and hung along one side of the mall was a giant poster of all the monthly victims of the Comorra. That was a revelation for me. I didnt know the mafia still held big sway in Italy.

Why is it some TV series are getting dumber and dumber?
FBI agents running around the world screaming "freeze Federal agent"... No they can't. In fact if they did they would be arrested...
And they yell freeze, and the bad guy just runs away and ends up blowing hundreds of people up because of their hesitation...or kills their best friend, etc.
Then they blame the bad guy, and not their idiotic-self :) You start cheering for the villain because the heroes are so stupid.

The automatic fire on weapons still ruins many action scenes for me. Walking Dead was the worst with this, it completely punishes the viewer.
- apocalypse, bullets are now extremely scarce and valuable
- walkers can only be killed by a head shot

Let's spray bullets with seemingly never-ending magazines, because its more "dramatic"? Body shots on walkers...windows getting blown out....kills me every time.
Hurry up walkers, kill these idiots, they have it coming.

Last edited:
Ha anybody seen Killing Eve? Since it is written by the same brilliant woman who created the masterpiece Fleabag, I figure that it must be good. Opinons?

First two seasons were pretty good. First season was off the charts. The Brit who plays the Russian chick deserves the Emmy.

I said I had other priorities and listed The Bureau, Killing Eve, and Goliath S2, but actually I was browsing Netflix, and because I'm in love with my new 4K TV I'm trying to watch 4K shows, so I bumped into the Colombian series called Wild District. I looked at the IMDB score and it's a solid 8.4. I read reviews and most are 10/10 with lavish praise. So I started it. They said the first 2 episodes are slow then it picks up. Well, I watched so far 1 through 5 and I must say I don't entirely agree with all the praise. Sure, it's good acting; sure, Bogota is well depicted, visually, in gorgeous ultra high definition, both the fancy neighborhoods and the slums, which is a plus because I'm curious about this city that I have never visited. Sure, it's well-written. Still, there is something missing and I can't get too enthusiastic. Some dumb behaviors by the characters are very annoying.

MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD

Look at this one. I haven't seen one this bad in a long time. The infiltrated agent is going into this operation with the bad guys, that potentially will get the most important law enforcement agent character, the beautiful female high level prosecutor, assassinated. The cute female handler of the infiltrated agent is very concerned for the safety of her boss, gives the agent a cell phone to call her if anything is wrong. Well, the operation is under way. The infiltrated agent realizes that the prosecutor is indeed in great danger and can be killed any minute. He then calls his handler to warn her so that she warns the prosecutor's security detail to yank her out of there. Guess what? When he calls, the handler is listening to music with headphones and has her back to the cell phone. He calls and calls and she doesn't pick up.

How dumb is that??? Who in the hell would do such a thing??? In real life the handler would be anxiously glued to the cell phone, monitoring if there would be a call. At the very least, if she wanted to listen to music with headphones, she'd put the phone on vibrate and in a breast pocket where she'd fill the vibration. I mean, her boss for whom she is deeply concerned is in danger of being assassinated, the way to prevent it is to get a warning from the infiltrated agent, the warning will come through the cell phone, and she leaves the cell phone on a table, turns her back to it, and listens to music with a headphone???

CONTINUES BELOW DUE TO CHARACTER LIMIT

Last edited:
Continued from above, SPOILERS AHEAD

Someone mentioned another dumb behavior in one of the IMDB reviews. The main character is in hiding from his former FARC guerrilla boss Anibal, who is trying to find him to murder him as a traitor. He is hiding in Bogota with his son and his mother (the guerrilla boss said he will kill him and his whole family). So the bad guys find him and the guerrilla boss sends two assassins after him. He manages to kill one and disable the other, refrains from killing the other, letting the other go and saying "I'm letting you go so that you tell Anibal that I'm prepared for him." The guy runs away, he goes inside the home and keeps looking at the street from the window; doesn't immediately say anything to his mother and son, but eventually like a couple of days later, moves away with them to another hide out, not before leaving the two of them alone to go talk to his handler about relocating.

First of all, why in the hell should he let the second assassin go, to give Anibal this kind of message that you're a tough guy? Killing both assassins would already be the message, no? Second, your biggest concern is to hide your family from the bad guys, but you let the second assassin go warn Anibal, who might them immediately send ten assassins to the same location. Sure, you watch from a window... but you might not be able to stop all ten and you are actually unarmed (even if like I say below he is good at killing people with his bare hands, he wouldn't be able to do it to too many armed bad guys). And you leave your family behind, at the exact same location Anibal already knows of, to go negotiate with your handler, while in that interval Anibal could easily come in and kill your mother and son??? Any rational person would kill both assassins and immediately get your mother and son out of there.

Oh, not to mention another hugely dumb behavior. Truly dumb, this one. When the incident above happens, he doesn't have a gun. Well, he disarms one of the assassins, and actually uses the assassin's gun to kill the other one. But then he throws away the gun. Next when he goes see his handler, he begs for a gun. How in the hell didn't he keep the assassin's gun at least temporarily, while he was looking through the window to see if more assassins were coming? How would he defend his mother and son with an empty hand? Well, maybe he didn't want to keep a gun that had his fingerprints and the ballistics would identify it as shooting the bullet that killed the second assassin, but what good would this prevention do to him, if Anibal sent 10 more people and the gun-less character ended up dead, with his mother and son equally dead? At the very least, he'd keep that gun temporarily until his handler gave him another one, and THEN would toss it away.

And look at this: his handler enlists him as the infiltrated agent, but refuses to give him a gun (supposedly due to his previous past as a guerrilla guy, might turn the gun against the handler?). But he is a big strong man and the handler is a tiny woman. The first time they meet, when she first tries to recruit him and he refuses, he jumps her and easily dominates her and slams her head on a table. He is skilled at killing people both when he is armed and unarmed. So later when he changes his mind and accepts her offer of recruitment, he meets her in deserted back allies several times to relay his findings from infiltrating the gang. Well, if he wanted to kill her, he could have done so, unarmed, anytime in one of those encounters in the back alley. He is seen strangling strong men to death, why couldn't he simply strangle her too, if he wanted to kill her? Therefore, it makes no sense whatsoever to deny him a gun because she is afraid of him, but then, go meet this trained assassin twice her size, in deserted back alleys.

So, she sends him into dangerous situations, gun-less??? Into situations where everybody else has guns, but him? She seems to think that he is a very valuable asset to the law enforcement agency, and sends him to dangerous assignments, but denies him a weapon, based on what? That he might kill her? Well, he had dozens of opportunities to kill her, gun or not, and didn't.

So, I'm not usually a big nitpicker, but these blunders are killing this show for me. So far, I'll give it a 4 out of 10, and the 4 is more for the visuals and the the good actors and pretty actresses than for the plot.

Last edited:
Another issue I'm having with Wild District: I don't watch shows just for T&A, but as a heterosexual guy, I find that good T&A is a plus. So, this show has very sexy actresses... but they are always wearing full and non-revealing clothes including in sex scenes (they are not even sex scenes; very brief; when things are about to get hot they just imply the sex and cut the camera away). In one occasion they show the main female actress in her underwear; nothing more.

OK, so, one would say, well, the producers of this show don't want nudity. Guess what? They do show the main male character naked, with his back to the camera and his butt showing. But the females? God forbid, no!

One might also say, maybe these actresses don't do nudity. Well, I googled them (shame on me... hehe, actually I'm not ashamed at all) and they do have naked scenes in others series and movies.

So, please, if you don't shy away from showing male nudity, give us some female nudity too, dammit!

Last edited:
In that case, yes, watch The Bureau- its everything Jack Ryan isnt.

Darn, it's not on Netflix. It's on Sundance Now, which is a paid channel. I'm paying enough for television already, I don't want to add another paid channel.
And to make it worse, another priority of mine, Killing Eve, is also paid. On Amazon Prime Video but not free for Prime subscribers.
Of my three priorities, only Goliath second season is free for me, so I guess I'll watch that, next.

Last edited:

Adore Jeremy Irons! OK, now I will give Watchmen a shot.

I finished watching Wild District. I wrote a couple of disparaging posts a few days back, but it did get better from the huge plot blunders, although not that much; still pretty predictable, and ultimately the characters are not very likable. I can't really recommend it. 5 out of 10.

I'm starting to watch Goliath, made it to the third episode, but so far I'm struggling a bit. It's taking a good while to pick up speed. I hope it does. I'm a bit bored. But it is not unusual for a show to take its time to develop so I'm not giving up, yet. I'd be curious to know if someone here has finished watching it; does it get better?

I didnt get into the 2nd season so I am hoping the 3rd is better.

First season was very good.

Ozarks 3rd season is due back on Netflix any week now. Has been really good.

The Night Manager, Amazon Prime. Awesomeness in every way. One season, 6 episodes, amazing locale in Majorca too. May start a little slow because Tom Hiddleston has to play a rather obsequious hotel manager in the beginning...but he's drop-dead gorgeous no matter who or what he plays. It won several Emmys.

Just finished Modern Love on Netflix...very very good, rather unexpected, I highly recommend it.

The Kominsky Method, season 2. Even funnier than the first season. Netflix.

Anyone mention Succession? Yowzaa, super-rich family dysfunction at it's best.

I didnt get into the 2nd season so I am hoping the 3rd is better.

First season was very good.

I'm watching the second season now, finished the 3rd episode, so far I like it a lot.

Ozarks 3rd season is due back on Netflix any week now. Has been really good.

The Night Manager, Amazon Prime. Awesomeness in every way. One season, 6 episodes, amazing locale in Majorca too. May start a little slow because Tom Hiddleston has to play a rather obsequious hotel manager in the beginning...but he's drop-dead gorgeous no matter who or what he plays. It won several Emmys.

Just finished Modern Love on Netflix...very very good, rather unexpected, I highly recommend it.

The Kominsky Method, season 2. Even funnier than the first season. Netflix.

Anyone mention Succession? Yowzaa, super-rich family dysfunction at it's best.

Wow, thanks for these suggestions. I was upset earlier today because two of my priorities are behind paywalls, and these I can watch for free. Yes, Succession is spectacular. I forgot to mention it. Where is it now? Have we had another more recent season? I lost track, since I no longer subscribe to HBO.

I don't know if this series has been mentioned yet.

I watched a docu-series on PBS entitled Country Music.

There are eight episodes, following the history of Country music. It is incredibly well done and should be watched by anyone interested in American music, of any sort.
It is all about knowing your roots, music wise.

Darn, it's not on Netflix. It's on Sundance Now, which is a paid channel. I'm paying enough for television already, I don't want to add another paid channel.
And to make it worse, another priority of mine, Killing Eve, is also paid. On Amazon Prime Video but not free for Prime subscribers.
Of my three priorities, only Goliath second season is free for me, so I guess I'll watch that, next.

If you got Netflix, give Suburra a shot- it's about mafia gangsters based in Rome.

I'm almost done with the final season of The Deuce (which time jumps to the 80's), and I gotta say it's beginning to feel like the final season of Boardwalk Empire- a lot of characters seem caught up in a death spiral from murders to AIDS. Quality TV, but it's not something I would watch again. 7.5/10

Well I started Watchmen, I was reminded it was out by this thread.

I'm impressed, it's quite enjoyable so far. Good production value, some great acting/casting, and the plots/character design are wickedly unique compared to mainstream everything...even superhero movies.
I saw the movie, never read any.

That opening scene...brutal. Really enjoying it so far, hard to stop watching it, but I hate binging (having done it enough to make me say that on plenty of shows!).

Back
Top Bottom