• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conservatives (and I use the term loosely), What do You Think of the 2 Florida Bills Attacking NYT v Sullivan?

We dont have hate radio in florida

I'm mostly OK with the media being held more accountable, but it needs to be across the whole spectrum rather than just politics. Far more important though would be a similar act to hold politicians just as accountable so that when they go off spewing their lies, people can seek redress in a reasonable way. The issue with all of this however is how to protect 'genuine' free speech (even if innocently inaccurate) that is not part of some political agenda.

Across the board, RdS is working hard to control the media in Florida. Add that to trying to control education, trying to limit 1st amendment rights of those that publicly disagree with him, trying to suppress minorities with a hate war etc - I don't know how Floridians can't recognize the signs of a dictatorship being established. If he doesn't run for president, RdS's next move will likely be to copy Xi, Putin etc and find a way to stay in power beyond the legal term limits

The First Amendment was not intended for the press to publish defamatory material and hide behind their own refusal to vet the information. It’s not investigative journalism if you just print whatever some anonymous rando tells you and make no effort to determine the veracity first.
Just to point out that has been American journalism since the start of the nation.

This is nothing new. In fact, if you think today's politics are partisan...you see some of the stuff that happened in the next three administrations following Washington....

DeSantis wants to roll back press freedoms — with an eye toward overturning Supreme Court ruling​

Florida Is Trying to Take Away the American Right to Speak Freely​

Florida Takes Aim at the First Amendment​

I think 3 things

1)_ You don't live in Florida so you are just a trouble-maker
2) What is legally decided in our federalist country must stand

Laboratories of democracy is a phrase popularized by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis in New State Ice Co. v. Liebmann to describe how "a single courageous State may, if its citizens choose, serve as a laboratory; and try novel social and economic experiments without risk to the rest of the country."

3) You have NO way of knowing either that D. wants to roll back freedoms OR that he has an intention of a SCOTUS ruling

DO SOMETHING to help the world, quit just bitching.

Back
Top Bottom