• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conservative House Republicans Say They Have Votes to Block Health Bill

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I don't get it.
If they hold out for total repeal, and throwing even more people off health care than Trump-Ryan-Care already does, they'll get slaughtered in the 2018 mid-terms, and a defeat would also further weaken Trump in future legislation they want, such as the Tax Cut.

Ryan, OTOH, is still confident of passage and sticking with a Thursday vote.
Looks like he's just being Squeezed by the Right and changes will move that way.
Perhaps aslo, Trumpov's low approval has opponents on all sides feeling their oats.
(Pence/No-One 2017, if Comey comes comes thru.)

Conservative House Republicans Say They Have Votes to Block Health Bill
House Freedom Caucus unswayed by proposed changes to legislation intended to gain more support
By KRISTINA PETERSON, NATALIE ANDREWS and STEPHANIE ARMOUR
Updated March 21, 2017 12:20 a.m. ET
https://www.wsj.com/articles/house-gop-leaders-move-to-tweak-health-care-bill-1490048076
WASHINGTON—Conservative House Republicans said Monday night that they have enough votes to block the GOP’s legislation to dismantle the Affordable Care Act, as House leaders proposed changes to the bill in a late effort to draw support.

Rep. Mark Meadows (R., N.C.), chairman of the House Freedom Caucus, a group of conservative lawmakers, said more than 21 members opposed the bill, enough to block passage should House leaders hold the vote as expected on Thursday and all Democrats hold firm in opposing the legislation.

Mr. Meadows spoke after a meeting of House Freedom Caucus, which has 30 to 40 members. By sticking together, the group could force House leaders to alter the bill further to suit conservatives who believe it doesn’t go far enough to repeal elements of the Affordable Care Act. Mr. Meadow’s vote count couldn’t be verified, but additions to the bill unveiled by House leaders on Monday suggested that they were still working to round up votes to ensure passage. President Donald Trump prepared to intensify his lobbying effort..."

Last edited:
You don't actually think the Freedom Caucus are rational, do you? :mrgreen:

They are extreme right-wingers, and they believe that their constituents want a total repeal of the ACA. All they care about is slashing the federal budget, even if doing so ultimately results in higher costs in other ways (e.g. worse health outcomes, more costly health issues etc)

Their constituents are also in the grips of the Great Paradox, where they fail to realize that they are largely voting against their own interests. Whether this will hold up when health care coverage is eviscerated, benefits lost, and premiums continue to increase, is not entirely clear.

They are extreme right-wingers, and they believe that their constituents want a total repeal of the ACA. All they care about is slashing the federal budget, even if doing so ultimately results in higher costs in other ways (e.g. worse health outcomes, more costly health issues etc)

Their constituents are also in the grips of the Great Paradox, where they fail to realize that they are largely voting against their own interests. Whether this will hold up when health care coverage is eviscerated, benefits lost, and premiums continue to increase, is not entirely clear.

Oh no!

That's the thing.
The people who won the election for Trump (Broke-ass older whites in Red or swing states) are the ones going to get hurt.
Coal Miner's Slaughter.
Nothing more unwitting than poor 'conservatives.'

That's the thing.
The people who won the election for Trump (Broke-ass older whites in Red or swing states) are the ones going to get hurt.
Coal Miner's Slaughter.
Nothing more unwitting than poor 'conservatives.'
Many of those people also aren't paying much attention to the news, or patronize right-leaning news outlets like Fox. My guess is that they don't know much about the upcoming changes.

Many of those people also aren't paying much attention to the news, or patronize right-leaning news outlets like Fox. My guess is that they don't know much about the upcoming changes.
Oh, and If they move the bill further to the Right, CBO will have to Up the 14mil/24mil Lost Coverage estimate.
And the Senate even less likely to pass it.

I keep hearing conflicting things. They have the votes, they don't, they do, they don't. It will be interesting to see what happens in the end.

After Trump's full-court press this morning? That would be embarrassing.

I have a dollar riding on passing in the House, failing in the Senate.

Trump has warned Republicans that if they don't vote for the bill then they'll all be primaried. Which is all complete horse****, of course. He doesn't give a crap about their primaries, he just wants a "win." From interviews with him it doesn't even seem like he knows what's actually in the bill.

I keep hearing conflicting things. They have the votes, they don't, they do, they don't. It will be interesting to see what happens in the end.

This will not end well for Don Cheeto the Tweeto.

Oh, and just in case this hasn't already been pointed out, there will be no CBO score on the bill.

Trump has warned Republicans that if they don't vote for the bill then they'll all be primaried. Which is all complete horse****, of course. He doesn't give a crap about their primaries, he just wants a "win." From interviews with him it doesn't even seem like he knows what's actually in the bill.

The Republicans in question are the ones smart enough to know if they support this bill, they will get voted out. They are ****ed if it passes.

That's pretty hilarious because the AHCA as proposed is already extremely conservative/inhumane. Apparently an extra 25 million uninsured isn't enough for them. What possible bill could these extremists put forth i wonder if up to them, just leave the disabled in a desert to die?

I doubt the deal with GOP moderates in New York helped with the Freedom Caucus.

Besides the FC, there's the moderate Tuesday Group that's not fully on board.

Why would a GOP house member throw away their seat when GOP senators tell them that trumpcare is DOA .

When Obama care was being debated there was a lot of this going on also. It took some 11Th hour arm twisting to squeak out a victory along party lines. I think you will see this go down the same way. It all depends in what last minute deals can be cut.

That's pretty hilarious because the AHCA as proposed is already extremely conservative/inhumane. Apparently an extra 25 million uninsured isn't enough for them. What possible bill could these extremists put forth i wonder if up to them, just leave the disabled in a desert to die?

You have to consider the foundation of where these people are coming from. A lot of complaints go back to FDR, even to Teddy. Some on this forum advocate for something that hasn't been seen since the 1800's. They want to completely blow SS and all welfare (except corporate welfare) out of the water. They are ideological maniacs chasing some kind of bizarre mental purity similar to religious extremism.

You have to consider the foundation of where these people are coming from. A lot of complaints go back to FDR, even to Teddy. Some on this forum advocate for something that hasn't been seen since the 1800's. They want to completely blow SS and all welfare (except corporate welfare) out of the water. They are ideological maniacs chasing some kind of bizarre mental purity similar to religious extremism.

I understand that, just like i understand there's 7 year old psychopaths who enjoy hurting small animals. But for them to occupy 10% of the federal government....

I think this country as a whole needs its head examined

Back
Top Bottom