• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN's Anthony Bourdain dead at 61[W:228]

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
New York (CNN)Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.
"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

:( I liked his view on food and travel. Damn.

Re: CNN's Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

WOW!!!! What a complete shock!!!!

My wife and I have seen him twice during his appearances on stage where he talks about his travels and food and he was a joy both times. I watched his shows and he had a very unique talent to take something that had been done to death and bring to it a fresh approach.

He was a great writer and a rock star in the world of food.

He had a dream job that millions of people would kill for and the idea that the may have committed suicide is proof that you never really know somebody or what is really going on in their life just from their celebrity status.

He will be missed.

Oh ****. RIP Anthony. :(

Damn, we lost so many good people in the last 12 months.

EDIT: suicide? WTF?! He had a young daughter. Why, Tony?

I always liked his food / travel shows. That's really sad. I have never had mental depression. So I don't fully understand what drives someone that seems to be at the top of their game in life that would still feel the need to end their life. It shows you how crippling depression is. Suicide rates are up by 30%. Twice as many people in this country die from suicide than homicide. It's truly a tragedy.

This is really awful for his daughter. Just awful to do that to your kids.

I always liked his food / travel shows. That's really sad. I have never had mental depression. So I don't fully understand what drives someone that seems to be at the top of their game in life that would still feel the need to end their life. It shows you how crippling depression is. Suicide rates are up by 30%. Twice as many people in this country die from suicide than homicide. It's truly a tragedy.

This is really awful for his daughter. Just awful to do that to your kids.

So true. I commented that about Kate Spade as well. It is so tragic that it's gotten so bad they would do something so hurtful to the ones they say they love the most.

WOW!!!! What a complete shock!!!!

My wife and I have seen him twice during his appearances on stage where he talks about his travels and food and he was a joy both times. I watched his shows and he had a very unique talent to take something that had been done to death and bring to it a fresh approach.

He was a great writer and a rock star in the world of food.

He had a dream job that millions of people would kill for and the idea that the may have committed suicide is proof that you never really know somebody or what is really going on in their life just from their celebrity status.

He will be missed.

He was, of the travel food chef's, the best. He had a voice that was instantly recognizable and his views on food and travel, compelling TV.

I'm just... damn, just DAMN.

****, man. This one hits hard. Loved everything he did.

****ing depression.

This entire sad episode reminds me of how I felt when I heard Robin Williams had checked out on his own. It just so hard for a person like me - average working class stiff - to understand how somebody who supposedly had it all.... money, fame, access to anything they wanted.... could make a decision that life was bad that they had to leave it. Its just completely beyond my comprehension.

I wonder if he had health problems?

There was talk that when his latest marriage fell apart it hit him really hard. Maybe that was a factor?

The part of his shows that I loved the most was where he would go into a four star restaurant and eat a meal that cost over $200 and then rip the place a new one from their faults and phoniness and then he would go to somebody home in a working class neighborhood where a chubby 70 year old grandmother would serve him Polish stuffed cabbage and he acted like it was the best meal he ever ate and than her profusely in the most honest display of true gratitude he could muster.

What a guy!

So sad. He must have been in an immense amount of pain. RIP Anthony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This entire sad episode reminds me of how I felt when I heard Robin Williams had checked out on his own. It just so hard for a person like me - average working class stiff - to understand how somebody who supposedly had it all.... money, fame, access to anything they wanted.... could make a decision that life was bad that they had to leave it. Its just completely beyond my comprehension.

I wonder if he had health problems?

There was talk that when his latest marriage fell apart it hit him really hard. Maybe that was a factor?

It is hard for me to fathom, too. Suicide is on the rise in the US. It’s just terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This really ****ing sucks. Rest in peace Anthony.

So true. I commented that about Kate Spade as well. It is so tragic that it's gotten so bad they would do something so hurtful to the ones they say they love the most.

Yes, but that's the nature of mental illness. People will do stuff that seems unthinkable to those who are rational and emotionally adjusted.

The world has become cruel and shallow enough that more and more people don't want to be a part of it anymore.
And to the ones who are shallow enough it doesn't affect them, you'll feel the difference soon enough.
There's a message in there somewhere.

Wow. He was the quintessential culinary badass.
Great guy.

I enjoyed his shows. It is sad how many people are committing suicide.

I wonder if the rate is really going up or are they just being recorded as suicide now. I know years ago a lot of suicides were written up as natural causes. I had friends that committed suicide and it was years later that the truth actually came out.

Either way we need to address the problem of mental illness if we want to stop the deaths. It is not the gun, the rope, the pills, or any other thing that they use to kill themselves that is the problem. Until we treat mental illness the same as physical illness I expect the death toll will continue. One day we will accept the idea that mental illness is the root cause of most crime, suicides, and killings. Only after we identify and acknowledge the true cause can we start to fix things.

The world has become cruel and shallow enough that more and more people don't want to be a part of it anymore.
And to the ones who are shallow enough it doesn't affect them, you'll feel the difference soon enough.
Well that’s one way of looking at the world.

Very sad day... Despite being one of my favorite wise asses, there was a depth of compassion that lay underneath. Anthony Bourdain was at the top of my list of people I'd have a drink with, given then chance. It always sucks to find out that the person who brought you so much joy was in such pain.

While it's a mistake to discount depression as a motivating factor in the decision to commit suicide, so too is failing to acknowledge that even a clinical depression episode has a catalyst.

Watch the episodes on Chechnya and Russia. Bourdain was deeply pained by injustice stemming from totalitarian regimes, and you could clearly see that he perceived the culinary focus of the show as a farce next to the oppression experienced by the country's people.

There is a certain demographic of people that typically speak of fiscal performance, investments, profits, how the economy is doing, and that is basically the only thing that matters to them when you hear them speak.
There is much more to life than a good economy & money flowing in; I don't understand why so many do not get that.
There have been many well heeled & wealthy folk the past few years making the decision to 'check out' early so, obviously money isn't what they needed.
The world is leaning more cruel, more abrasive, more corrosive, intolerant, autocratic, and I believe people are getting disgusted & disillusioned with what they now perceive as 'evil' which they previously believed was much more benign.
Yes, we are living in a time in which the message is getting louder & clearer.

RIP Mr. Bourdain

This is a tough one to swallow. Just a cool, cool dude.

Last edited:

RIP. One has to wonder what was going on in his life that made him give up.

Back
Top Bottom