• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Civil War (2024 movie release)

Don't wish to expand on your theory that a B fantasy movie saved the world?
Alas your post is another instance of the classic Presumptuous Complex Question Fallacy. You're just not catching on eh.

So anyway, your post is a declaratory statement that presumes guilt or wrongdoing while badly disguising itself as a question to include the shameless abuse of an otherwise innocent question mark. The fallacy is that it asserts an intended accusation while presenting no facts or supporting data. (Its "saved the world" is OTT besides.) So given there's no there there, ie, your fallacy, the post does not merit a response.

I've made numerous posts to the thread that state my views about the topic. If you were seriously engaged with the thread and topic you might know this. And you'd know why the other guy is steamed about it. Really taking it hard he is.

Alas your post is another instance of the classic Presumptuous Complex Question Fallacy. You're just not catching on eh.

So anyway, your post is a declaratory statement that presumes guilt or wrongdoing while badly disguising itself as a question to include the shameless abuse of an otherwise innocent question mark. The fallacy is that it asserts an intended accusation while presenting no facts or supporting data. (Its "saved the world" is OTT besides.) So given there's no there there, ie, your fallacy, the post does not merit a response.

I've made numerous posts to the thread that state my views about the topic. If you were seriously engaged with the thread and topic you might know this. And you'd know why the other guy is steamed about it. Really taking it hard he is.

Who wrote this, reference Reagan seeing the movie "War Games": They didn't get their nuclear war between the USSR and the USA. We're saved.

Now it really looks to me like you're crediting that movie with saving the world. But feel free to explain what "We're saved." is intended to convey.

No, he just adheres to the pantomime school of debate.

No, he just adheres to the pantomime school of debate.

Whoever you're talking about, I don't think they're the topic no matter how heavily they weigh on your mind.

I don't need to watch the trailer to know that CBS is pushing a radical leftist agenda, making all conservatives the enemy in their sick and twisted minds. It is just another leftist propaganda piece that the leftist filth in the media commonly release every election year.
I can't take your limited vocabulary anymore. Expand your horizons and try to use a synonym once in a while...

In the near future, dissension and polarization leads to dictatorship and a rebellion led by the unlikely alliance of California and Texas. In the tradition of "Seven Days in May," "Z," and "The Killing Fields," the release on April 12 of "Civil War" may generate some shock therapy to our political corpus. Today, CBS News Sunday Morning started off the conversation. Watch the trailer. What is your reaction?

It looks like a good movie, a concept that no filmmaker has chosen to make before. But, it's timely because the reality is that more people want a civil war today than since the first Civil War. There are people in this country wanting nothing more than a civil war. These macho guys with their big assault weapons think like Trump thought about nuclear weapons. He said, "why have nuclear weapons if we don't use them?" His base figures the same, "why have great assault weapons if we can't kill some Americans with them?" What they don't 'figure' on is watching their grandmother shot in the face, or their 2-year-old gutted by an assault rifle. They can visualize ripping the head off a political enemy but could never visualize their own balls being blown off by another guy with a big gun.

That's the new reality in America, more people either dreading, or looking forward to, mass killings of other Americans. Outright warfare. And for what?

It looks like a good movie, a concept that no filmmaker has chosen to make before. But, it's timely because the reality is that more people want a civil war today than since the first Civil War. There are people in this country wanting nothing more than a civil war. These macho guys with their big assault weapons think like Trump thought about nuclear weapons. He said, "why have nuclear weapons if we don't use them?" His base figures the same, "why have great assault weapons if we can't kill some Americans with them?" What they don't 'figure' on is watching their grandmother shot in the face, or their 2-year-old gutted by an assault rifle. They can visualize ripping the head off a political enemy but could never visualize their own balls being blown off by another guy with a big gun.

That's the new reality in America, more people either dreading, or looking forward to, mass killings of other Americans. Outright warfare. And for what?

For whatever reason you're doing it, I think you're painting a huge group of people with a brush you dipped into a minute dollop of extremists. If 50 million people wanted a civil war, there would be one already.

For whatever reason you're doing it, I think you're painting a huge group of people with a brush you dipped into a minute dollop of extremists. If 50 million people wanted a civil war, there would be one already.
Oh, really? Are you aware that it took 80 years for the American Civil War to commence? That's how long the Northern and Southern states had been debating the issues that ultimately led to the civil war. They stood at opposite poles on economic policies, local practices and cultural values. Even back then, they disagreed over the extent and reach of the Federal government, and, of course, the role of slavery within society. That's the truth, it took 80 years to foment these grievances against each other enough to want to kill each other over these differences. Why the hell do you think a filmmaker thought it was a possibility enough to make a movie about it?

Oh, really? Are you aware that it took 80 years for the American Civil War to commence? That's how long the Northern and Southern states had been debating the issues that ultimately led to the civil war. They stood at opposite poles on economic policies, local practices and cultural values. Even back then, they disagreed over the extent and reach of the Federal government, and, of course, the role of slavery within society. That's the truth, it took 80 years to foment these grievances against each other enough to want to kill each other over these differences. Why the hell do you think a filmmaker thought it was a possibility enough to make a movie about it?

I've seen films about sentient robots and faster than light travel. Films are not a reliable indication of future events.

If you're using the American Civil War as reference, I will note that it wasn't just one side deciding to engage in warfare. Yet, that's how you painted things above.

I mean...who are the 50 million gun owners (and sympathetic comrades) going to fight?

I've seen films about sentient robots and faster than light travel. Films are not a reliable indication of future events.

If you're using the American Civil War as reference, I will note that it wasn't just one side deciding to engage in warfare. Yet, that's how you painted things above.

I mean...who are the 50 million gun owners (and sympathetic comrades) going to fight?
So, you want to know who are the people that gun owners, particularly anti-government gun owners, will fight? They believe the federal government is bad, and they traffic in conspiracy theories. There are many groups like the Three Percenters who would present mortal danger to their perceived foes, including leftists/antifa, Muslims and immigrants.

Make sure to check the interactive map on the link below.

From the Southern Poverty Law Center
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/antigovernment-general

Antigovernment groups are part of the antidemocratic hard-right movement. They believe the federal government is tyrannical, and they traffic in conspiracy theories about an illegitimate government of leftist elites seeking a “New World Order.” In addition to groups that generally espouse these ideas, the movement is comprised of sovereign citizens, militias, overt conspiracy propagandists and constitutional sheriff groups. In the past this movement was referred to as the “Patriot” movement by adherents and critics.

These views continued in 2022, but there has a marked and troubling rise in antigovernment activity against inclusive public schools and the incorporation of white Christian nationalist ideas reemerged more prevalently in the movement. Antigovernment imagery, such as the Gadsden flag and the Three Percenter logo, was commonly displayed by adherents across the country. Antigovernment groups linked up with other hard-right groups in 2022, as they often targeted the same marginalized communities and threatened or actually engaged in political violence.

In 2022, we tracked 1,225 hate and antigovernment groups across the U.S. https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

So, you want to know who are the people that gun owners, particularly anti-government gun owners, will fight? They believe the federal government is bad, and they traffic in conspiracy theories. There are many groups like the Three Percenters who would present mortal danger to their perceived foes, including leftists/antifa, Muslims and immigrants.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/antigovernment-general

Antigovernment groups are part of the antidemocratic hard-right movement. They believe the federal government is tyrannical, and they traffic in conspiracy theories about an illegitimate government of leftist elites seeking a “New World Order.” In addition to groups that generally espouse these ideas, the movement is comprised of sovereign citizens, militias, overt conspiracy propagandists and constitutional sheriff groups. In the past this movement was referred to as the “Patriot” movement by adherents and critics.

These views continued in 2022, but there has a marked and troubling rise in antigovernment activity against inclusive public schools and the incorporation of white Christian nationalist ideas reemerged more prevalently in the movement. Antigovernment imagery, such as the Gadsden flag and the Three Percenter logo, was commonly displayed by adherents across the country. Antigovernment groups linked up with other hard-right groups in 2022, as they often targeted the same marginalized communities and threatened or actually engaged in political violence.

In 2022, we tracked 1,225 hate and antigovernment groups across the U.S. https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

And that's the brush you use to paint 50 million or more Americans. Democrats, Republicans, and Independents alike.

You are aware that the Southern Poverty Law Center is nothing more than a bunch of leftist bigots, right? Anyone who does not agree with their extremist leftist agenda is automatically classified as being an "hate organization." Which explains why ALL conservative organizations are branded as "hate organizations" by the SPLC. Even Dr. Ben Carson ended up on the SPLC hate list, which demonstrates just how extremely bigoted they are. Anyone who cites the SPLC as an authority is demonstrating that they are without any doubt a leftist bigot.

If you are a proponent of the SPLC, then you are automatically the enemy of every conservative.

I bought a ticket...watched it for about 25 minutes....got up and left the theater. About the worst movie I've ever seen.

If you are a proponent of the SPLC, then you are automatically the enemy of every conservative.
Then I am a proud enemy of yours and every other so-called 'conservative' who embrace anti-government, bigoted, antisemitic and homophobic hate groups in the United States. My conscience is clear, and I sleep well at night, knowing that I'm on the side of right, the side of justice and the side of morality and inclusivity.

Haters like yourself are my biggest motivators. So, thank you for that.

I bought a ticket...watched it for about 25 minutes....got up and left the theater. About the worst movie I've ever seen.

Genuinely interested in why you thought that?
I have no problem with you not liking it as its just a film but what was it that made you walk out?

Maybe I'm cheap but I've never walked out of the cinema and I've sat through the travesty that was the D&D film with Jeremy Irons.
I played D&D for over a decade and that film was a pile of wank.

Everyone involved should be ashamed!

I still didn't walk out as a matter of principle.

Genuinely interested in why you thought that?
I have no problem with you not liking it as its just a film but what was it that made you walk out?

Maybe I'm cheap but I've never walked out of the cinema and I've sat through the travesty that was the D&D film with Jeremy Irons.
I played D&D for over a decade and that film was a pile of wank.

Everyone involved should be ashamed!

I still didn't walk out as a matter of principle.
If watching 26 minutes of blown off body parts, blood everywhere and ganglike executions with no real acting at all, then you'll love the movie.

I should have known better before I went, I guess.

If watching 26 minutes of blown off body parts, blood everywhere and ganglike executions with no real acting at all, then you'll love the movie.

I should have known better before I went, I guess.
I pick no fault with your decision to walk out after that first 26 minutes, but I am curious as to what you expected to see. Plenty of viewers who stayed for the entire show did not enjoy the film or find their expectations satisfied.

At the viewing I attended no one walked out of the theater but I also do not know what the audience felt about it when the movie finished.

The last time I witnessed folks getting up early and leaving a movie was way back in 1972 during Paul Newman's portrayal in The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. We didn't expect it to be a comedic caricature of the venerable old Texas hanging judge. Around here folks regarded the movie as close to mythic sacrilege. LOL.

Used to be we had ourselves some good ole' fashion kick them foreign enemies a**es - you know the kind: Rambo, Red Dawn, American Sniper, and such. All the way back to WWII movies where a handful of Americans kicked *ss against those pesky Germans and Japs.

BUT NOW, we gotta have movies about Americans kickin' each other. Sure, why not, the enemies are no longer the Russkies, or the Arabs, or the Chinese, nope uhuh, the enemy is now....................................each other.
All those previous movies and characters would be called toxic by liberals today.

Then I am a proud enemy of yours and every other so-called 'conservative' who embrace anti-government, bigoted, antisemitic and homophobic hate groups in the United States. My conscience is clear, and I sleep well at night, knowing that I'm on the side of right, the side of justice and the side of morality and inclusivity.

Haters like yourself are my biggest motivators. So, thank you for that.
All the anti-government, bigoted, antisemitic hate groups are all leftist filth which you support. Your conscience is dictated to you by sick and twisted mentally-diseased freaks who advocate for genocide. However, you are correct about one thing: I will always utterly despise mass murdering leftist pieces of shit and their supporters.

All those previous movies and characters would be called toxic by liberals today.

No, I'm a liberal and I don't think Rambo was a toxic character - at least not in the first "First Blood" movie - it just got silly after then.

Back
Top Bottom