• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Church is Misguided with their Emphasis on Homosexuality

It is historical objective data. I see how you have handled it. I have handled it differently.

Is it??? How do you know it is 'objective historical data'. What do you mean by that phrase, and how did you determine that it is 'objective histoircal data'? To be objective, you have to provide 'show me' evidence.

Is it??? How do you know it is 'objective historical data'. What do you mean by that phrase, and how did you determine that it is 'objective histoircal data'? To be objective, you have to provide 'show me' evidence.

There is simply a ton of archeological data around the book, including the book, and the sites and people in it. Try google.com

There is simply a ton of archeological data around the book, including the book, and the sites and people in it. Try google.com

Just because some archeological data shows that some (not all) of the events happened doesn't mean that the claims about God are accurate, or that all the events claimed in the book are historical. To say otherwise is false.

Just because some archeological data shows that some (not all) of the events happened doesn't mean that the claims about God are accurate, or that all the events claimed in the book are historical. To say otherwise is false.

It doesn't mean they are not either. This is where the subjective part comes in.

I hesitate here because this appears to be trolling for the sake of it. I will give the benefit of the doubt.

Quite happy to admit to the " for the sake of it" part of the accusation. After all i have offered to say goodbye twice. But as for trolling the simple answer is put the accusation to a mod and let him deal with it. Otherwise it is just an attempt to intimidate rather than debate.

My argument is not about numbers, although quantities are involved. You seem to assume there is no God because many of differing faiths have many gods.
Not quite. The assumption is that it is more than just many faiths. It is more a case that for every individual who believes in a god there is a god. That is because there is no one central god for any person to draw upon. So it really is just their own personal individual belief.
That is not a valid logical assumption.
Because of the peculiar nature of the subject being discussed. These theistic discussions are by there nature a deductive argument. Therefore validity means only that the premise must lead to the conclusion. One of the more famous examples of a valid deductive argument is.
All toasters are items made of gold.
All items made of gold are time-travel devices.
Therefore, all toasters are time-travel devices.

If you believe the atheists ethical stance, then one might assume you believe there IS at least in theory a perfect way to live ones life. If this is true, many people believing in many different ways would not nullify that one perfect way.
That is my argument.
I have a feeling you are really not going to like my answer.

Apart from being an atheist i also have a tendency to lean towards anarchism as well. So no, there is no one perfect way to live ones life. And again i must repeat that i lean more to a theory of conflict is needed for society to develop. The kind of harmonious ethical standard you imply would end in stagnation of a society.

I hesitate here because this appears to be trolling for the sake of it. I will give the benefit of the doubt.

Quite happy to admit to the " for the sake of it" part of the accusation. After all i have offered to say goodbye twice. But as for trolling the simple answer is put the accusation to a mod and let him deal with it. Otherwise it is just an attempt to intimidate rather than debate.

My argument is not about numbers, although quantities are involved. You seem to assume there is no God because many of differing faiths have many gods.
Not quite. The assumption is that it is more than just many faiths. It is more a case that for every individual who believes in a god there is a god. That is because there is no one central god for any person to draw upon. So it really is just their own personal individual belief.
That is not a valid logical assumption.
Because of the peculiar nature of the subject being discussed. These theistic discussions are by there nature a deductive argument. Therefore validity means only that the premise must lead to the conclusion. One of the more famous examples of a valid deductive argument is.

If you believe the atheists ethical stance, then one might assume you believe there IS at least in theory a perfect way to live ones life. If this is true, many people believing in many different ways would not nullify that one perfect way.
That is my argument.

Apart from being an atheist i also have a tendency to lean towards anarchism as well. So no, there is no one perfect way to live ones life. And again i must repeat that i lean more to a theory of conflict is needed for society to develop. The kind of harmonious ethical standard you imply would end in stagnation of a society.

OK, not trolling. I was giving the benefit of the doubt. It would appear you don't understand some of the logic then.
It's up to you to say goodbye or not, it's an open forum. It isn't so much an attempt to intimidate as it is an attempt to allow you an opportunity to answer with truth instead of fautly reasoning.

On the numbers argument, you aren't making sense. The only thing I can pull from your response that seems to be understandable is this part: "That is because there is no one central god for any person to draw upon. So it really is just their own personal individual belief."
The fact is you don't know this factually. It is your subjective opinion. Obviously I disagree. IOW, I have a different opinion. This is the pivotal point. Your toaster example does not apply. It is not even an accurate example to use to compare many gods vs one true God.
To state it simply: Many people believing in many different Gods does not preclude the possibility of their actually being one true God.

My "perfect life" example is a good one. It does not have to be true to illustrate my point. Don't let your own beliefs about it cloud the example.

I get that you are rebellious in nature and proud of your conclusions. We are all like that really in some part. But know that it can hide the truth from your eyes. This is really about pride in ourselves. Better to be humble when it comes to truth. None of us are that wise or all-knowing.

... That is because there is no one central god for any person to draw upon. So it really is just their own personal individual belief. ....

To make it crystal clear, your point above is faulty. You aren't allowing for the possibility of One God being the truth.
I have my faith, and believe it fully, but I have to state that I could be wrong. This is because I can't know unless God comes down and reveals himself to me in no uncertain terms.
I believe based on the documented life of Christ. I could be wrong in doing that. It is what it is, my faith. Your faith is something other...

OK, not trolling. I was giving the benefit of the doubt. It would appear you don't understand some of the logic then.
It's up to you to say goodbye or not, it's an open forum. It isn't so much an attempt to intimidate as it is an attempt to allow you an opportunity to answer with truth instead of fautly reasoning.
That you disagree with what is said is not in itself a good enough reason to proclaim what is said is faulty.

On the numbers argument, you aren't making sense. The only thing I can pull from your response that seems to be understandable is this part: "That is because there is no one central god for any person to draw upon. So it really is just their own personal individual belief."
It is your subjective opinion. Obviously I disagree. IOW, I have a different opinion. This is the pivotal point. Your toaster example does not apply. It is not even an accurate example to use to compare many gods vs one true God.
To state it simply: Many people believing in many different Gods does not preclude the possibility of their actually being one true God.
It makes no sense to you because you misconstrue the argument. What i was referring to was not with the intention of questioning the existence of a god. It was instead an explanation of the type of logic we are using and an apparent misunderstanding on your part of the use of the word , validity.
The toaster argument is an argument that comes up most often in nearly any logic 101 class. It is an example of how a deductive argument can be both false and valid. Not anything to do with a god.
The real trick in any theistic argument is to also have the argument being "sound" and valid. Which occurs when the premises are true and the conclusion is true. That is not easy because , as you said.. "Obviously I disagree. IOW" .
The fact is you don't know this factually.
No, i question your right to say that. it is taking an unfair advantage. One not earned by reason, but by stealth. As such, i have no reason to assume that i should give any god the dignity of considering their part in reality. No more than i would for any fictional character. Because you or if you want to point to others or even many others who share your beliefs? That is no more credible to me than listening to a bunch of gamers talking about the latest games. Humans are quite capable of creating many truths.

My "perfect life" example is a good one. It does not have to be true to illustrate my point. Don't let your own beliefs about it cloud the example.

I get that you are rebellious in nature and proud of your conclusions. We are all like that really in some part. But know that it can hide the truth from your eyes. This is really about pride in ourselves. Better to be humble when it comes to truth. None of us are that wise or all-knowing.
When you say " example", do you mean this? From your post #194.
" If you believe the atheists ethical stance, then one might assume you believe there IS at least in theory a perfect way to live ones life. If this is true, many people believing in many different ways would not nullify that one perfect way.
That is my argument."

There are so many holes in that statement.
I do not believe the atheist ethical stance because there is no such thing. It is more a case of because i take an ethical stance that i am an atheist. Not because i am an atheist therefore i have an ethical stance. Atheism is not my primary concern despite any attempts to point out an atheists twisted desires to send christians to hell.

No, There is no one perfect way to live a life. But having used the argument yourself then you would have no problem in agreeing that my claim does not preclude the possibility that people will still attempt to seek it or that it precludes the possibility that a person can adhere to some levels of ethics.

Last edited:
To make it crystal clear, your point above is faulty. You aren't allowing for the possibility of One God being the truth.
I have my faith, and believe it fully, but I have to state that I could be wrong. This is because I can't know unless God comes down and reveals himself to me in no uncertain terms.
I believe based on the documented life of Christ. I could be wrong in doing that. It is what it is, my faith. Your faith is something other...

Yeah, Nah! In a sense you are correct that i am not allowing for the possibility of One God being the truth. Or at least not until some one gives me a good reason to.

That you have faith and believe it fully is not something i can really question. It kind of goes hand in hand with the possibility that there is one god being the truth.

That i can accept faith being given as a reason to contemplate such a possibility has an unfortunate consequence. There is a little problem with putting up faith as a reason for allowing for the possibility of One God being the truth. Which is that the term reasonable faith is an oxymoron. Which is not a good reason.

i would put that one to the test.

Shall we start with moses. Apart from being a great example of how theists will fall for any story that confirms a belief. There is the highly suspicious fact that no empirical evidence has been discovered for moses 40 year wander through a very small part of the sinai desert. Even if you level the number at 20,000 or 600,000 or over a million. They would have left some trace of their journey.

Yeah, Nah! In a sense you are correct that i am not allowing for the possibility of One God being the truth. Or at least not until some one gives me a good reason to.

That you have faith and believe it fully is not something i can really question. It kind of goes hand in hand with the possibility that there is one god being the truth.

That i can accept faith being given as a reason to contemplate such a possibility has an unfortunate consequence. There is a little problem with putting up faith as a reason for allowing for the possibility of One God being the truth. Which is that the term reasonable faith is an oxymoron. Which is not a good reason.

You make very little sense to me in all this. What can you do... ?

i would put that one to the test.

Shall we start with moses. Apart from being a great example of how theists will fall for any story that confirms a belief. There is the highly suspicious fact that no empirical evidence has been discovered for moses 40 year wander through a very small part of the sinai desert. Even if you level the number at 20,000 or 600,000 or over a million. They would have left some trace of their journey.

With your atheist ethics you are admitting to a superior way to live. The problem with this is that it is doomed to the selfishness of the men who define the ethical standard.
Christ's way is superior to all ways.

A lack of evidence can not lead to a negative conclusion, it is just a curiosity. There are many archeological facts that support the bible.
But this is an interesting aside only. It is Christ's superior Word that makes sense to our human hearts. He leads us to our spiritual best, to life.
That is the convincing evidence beyond all of the observable science.

With your atheist ethics you are admitting to a superior way to live. The problem with this is that it is doomed to the selfishness of the men who define the ethical standard.
Christ's way is superior to all ways.

A lack of evidence can not lead to a negative conclusion, it is just a curiosity. There are many archeological facts that support the bible.
But this is an interesting aside only. It is Christ's superior Word that makes sense to our human hearts. He leads us to our spiritual best, to life.
That is the convincing evidence beyond all of the observable science.

Considering jesus spokes in parables and can be, and has been used, to do everything from helping little old ladies across the street too murdering little babies. I would point out that christs way is highly dependent on which selfish man interprets his word.

And unfortunately in this particular case a lack of evidence actually screams out the fact that it never occurred. 40 years of wondering through a small part of a desert with 20, 000 or more people will leave clues if it happened. Not a curious absence of evidence of which a theist can then claim curiosity is evidence. And i think you will find your statement more accurate if you said there are many archeological facts included in the bible. But then the fact that the county america actually exists as well as been written about in a superman comic book does mean that there is archeological existence for superman either.

Considering jesus spokes in parables and can be, and has been used, to do everything from helping little old ladies across the street too murdering little babies. I would point out that christs way is highly dependent on which selfish man interprets his word.

And unfortunately in this particular case a lack of evidence actually screams out the fact that it never occurred. 40 years of wondering through a small part of a desert with 20, 000 or more people will leave clues if it happened. Not a curious absence of evidence of which a theist can then claim curiosity is evidence. And i think you will find your statement more accurate if you said there are many archeological facts included in the bible. But then the fact that the county america actually exists as well as been written about in a superman comic book does mean that there is archeological existence for superman either.

I understand you are at war with Christ. There are many like you. I hope one day you will see the truth, I mean that.

Back
Top Bottom