• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Chicago's Black Ghetto

Your history is not universal and chances are you did not have the same obstacles other have had to overcome.

This is exactly my point. Folks here are sharing their stories which is fine, I mean, we all have stories of our struggles but folks here act like what they struggled, endured, and overcame is supposed to be universal to everyone else. That's like me trying cocaine for a week then going cold turkey because I was tired of snorting coke. Just because I'm able to kick the habit who am I to tell a crackhead or a coke head the steps to kick crack/coke habits?

you will never, ever, ever, ever, end suspicion..never ,ever.

suspicion primarily comes with unfamiliarity of the actual person, and familiarity with the persona the person is trying to push.
for example, Z didn't know T.. but he was familiar with the "thuggish" look and behavior

to be perfectly honest, if TM was in my neighborhood, i'd be suspicious too... any stranger looking shady in my neighborhood with be dealt a hefty amount of suspicion.
hell, Z roaming my neighborhood would be suspicious ( i'm in rural country.. ya better advertise who you are and what you want or you'll have eyes on you)

if the day ever comes when we all know each other and understand the intent of the person pertaining to the persona.. utopia will be realized.

The fact is that it is better to be safe tan sorry.

That is what suspicion is.

What is the harm in checking out somebody that you think is doing something wrong?

I didn't say he was. In this society, it's simply a natural response to question why young black man in a hoodie is wandering around a quiet neighborhood at night. This too was the point of the article in the op.

Wandering around looking in peopls Windows, and even though Zimmerman didn't know about it, Martin had a history of burglary, so yes he was right to be suspicious.

it's a stupid point..... it unnecessarily brings a a single particular race to the forefront... it was intended to. ( gotta push racism... it sensational, so it sells)

listen, if TM was brown, or yella.. or red.. or white... it doesn't really matter..... he was shady and unfamiliar, suspicion was all but guaranteed.
your article makes it sound like this is a phenomenon that relies on the suspicious character being black, and that's just not so.

I am treated with hostile suspicion when I used to walk downtown Vegas at night...black, white, Hispanic.. whatever.. those crackheads, hookers, pimps, pushers, and street urchins didn't know me, they saw a clean cut white dude and thought "cop!!" (especially the tweakers... paranoid sunsabiches)

I deserved their suspicion... I was a stranger in their world... it was no big deal to me, and I did my best to see non-threatening to them ( which is the proper behavior)
most were smart enough not to confront me.... a few were smart enough to confront me cordially.... a couple weren't very smart at all.
oddly enough, I was suspicious of every one of them too...and I watched every move of theirs I could

I am getting the same thing.

I am White living in Mexico and I have been asked, and even checked out by the local cops because they think I am DEA. I am not of course.

I am the minority where I am, but it doesn't stop me from doing what I need to do every day.

I am getting the same thing.

I am White living in Mexico and I have been asked, and even checked out by the local cops because they think I am DEA. I am not of course.

I am the minority where I am, but it doesn't stop me from doing what I need to do every day.

The above bold says it all

It says it all about what?

What is your point?

Idiot George was NOT a security guard. He was a volunteer who broke all the rules of Neighborhood Watch.

You're not Sharon?

rule # 1 when trying to push an idiots narrative is to never admit facts into the conversation that **** up said narrative.

you'll notice that nearly every Team Trayvon member completely whitewashes the assault( most, like the OP, completely omit it.. as if it never happened).

it's the very thing that made the shooting justifiable, and that ****s up their narrative... which is why they can't be honest.

Please supply the name of one person who "saw" Trayvon attack George Zimmerman.....

that was a great article!

completely absent of intelligence, honesty, rationality, or objectivity... but super duper dandy great other than that.

Have you ever lived in Chicago?

It's silly to try to float your own version of the facts in the Zman trial. Anybody who was interested watched the whole thing, listened to the witnesses and evaluated the evidence. Some people need to accept the fact that this is 2013, we have the Internet, 24 hour TV, talk radio, blogs and millions of websites. Plus millions of digital cameras and surveillance cameras.

We KNOW what happened.

No, it what I read because of what you said, specifically your use of "generational". It may take generations to create family wealth and blacks as a whole are clearly at a disadvantage there. It does not take generations to achieve income success. One may not become a millionaire, but they can certainly move into decent middle class jobs with initiative and hardwork--RN's, civil service, even professional positions like accountants and lawyers--themselves. I would contend that on that front, it is more blacks holding blacks back than whites or anything institutional. If you listen to the voices who say you can't or shouldn't, you are just not going to get there. It is too easy to make excuses.

I grew up pretty poor and went to college and grad school on scholarships. Along the way, there were multiple opportunities to settle and a lot of peer pressure to fight against. I elected not to settle and say to hell with peer pressure. It wasn't easy. I made plenty of mistakes along the way, but it was discipline and hard work both in and out of the classroom moreso than smarts, advantages, or anything else that got me there.

That said, I don't disagree about the teaching people to fish thing. I donate computers and software periodically to a faith-based outreach center (i.e. a church) that does a lot of skills training in the black community so people who have never had real access to computers can at least get some exposure to basic things like word-processing and internet, especially older people. They do what they can, but unfortunately "let me show you how to type a proper resume" often takes a backseat to "hey, let's go smoke some weed".

When you say Posts like yours, however, seem like you are making excuses for failure, instead of encouraging progress.

I tire of this site.

This is exactly my point. Folks here are sharing their stories which is fine, I mean, we all have stories of our struggles but folks here act like what they struggled, endured, and overcame is supposed to be universal to everyone else. That's like me trying cocaine for a week then going cold turkey because I was tired of snorting coke. Just because I'm able to kick the habit who am I to tell a crackhead or a coke head the steps to kick crack/coke habits?

It's called white privilege. They are too submersed in it to see it.

It's silly to try to float your own version of the facts in the Zman trial. Anybody who was interested watched the whole thing, listened to the witnesses and evaluated the evidence. Some people need to accept the fact that this is 2013, we have the Internet, 24 hour TV, talk radio, blogs and millions of websites. Plus millions of digital cameras and surveillance cameras.

We KNOW what happened.

Nobody "knows" what happened as nobody actually "saw" what happened..

Right, and what is your more logical explanation for why these problems persist---that Blacks are more inclined to violence, less civilized or maybe they have sloping foreheads?

Because these behaviors are largely taught by association from one generation to the next. We are all to an extent a creation of our environment. Most of the things we learn in life are taught and learned (even subconsciously) by the people that we are surrounded by. Most people are more similar to those they were raised around then those they were not.

I spent some of my school years in Memphis, TN a rather rough city particularly in black neighborhoods. What I witnessed while their was a completely different attitude then I was accustomed to being from the rural midwest among some of the poor black population. A segment of the black population had absolutely no interest in school or learning. It was seen as a waste of time and effort as it offered little in regards to the life they pictured themselves living at that was gang banger drug dealers. They seemed to have no interest into trying to conform to a more normal "white mans" lifestyle. Many of these young black boys and girls were already a part of the local gang scene and had fathers, mother, brothers, and sisters who were active gang members who earned money by illegal means. I believe they largely felt that they would be far more successful in life by choosing a life of crime rather then trying to compete with white people in a white persons world. Crime seemed to be a far easier and far more lucrative life then anything an education and clean lifestyle could provide.

Please supply the name of one person who "saw" Trayvon attack George Zimmerman.....

Really? You are doubt the injuries Zimmerman had on his face?

Please explain to us, as you seem to know more tan the experts that testified in the trial, how Zimmerman got those injuries.

That TM attacked GZ first....

His injuries testified to that fact. Zimmerman didn't have a chance to lay a hand on Martin.

Please show us evidence that Zimmerman attacked Martin first.

Somebody had to attack somebody first.

Really? You are doubt the injuries Zimmerman had on his face?

Please explain to us, as you seem to know more tan the experts that testified in the trial, how Zimmerman got those injuries.

You did not answer the question....which was--name one person who "saw" TM attack GZ.......you can't...as far as the grevious injuries sustained by GZ, I have hurt myself worse by running into the dam door.....

You did not answer the question....which was--name one person who "saw" TM attack GZ.......you can't...as far as the grevious injuries sustained by GZ, I have hurt myself worse by running into the dam door.....

Keep trying to deny reality. Maybe one day you will see results.

It is your opinión, I guess, that if nobody sees something happen, then it didn't happen. That is kind of a wierd thing to think, but I guess to each his own.

His injuries testified to that fact. Zimmerman didn't have a chance to lay a hand on Martin.

Please show us evidence that Zimmerman attacked Martin first.

Somebody had to attack somebody first.

Like I asked already--who "saw" this happen?

Keep trying to deny reality. Maybe one day you will see results.

It is your opinión, I guess, that if nobody sees something happen, then it didn't happen. That is kind of a wierd thing to think, but I guess to each his own.

It's not my fault that you can't answer the question..... I'd much rather talk about Chicago anyway....

It's not my fault that you can't answer the question..... I'd much rather talk about Chicago anyway....

I did answer the question.

Notice where I said you think if nobody saw the event it didn't happen.

That means that nobody saw it, but that doesn't matter as the victim had injuries to prove what happened.

Back
Top Bottom