• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Charlottesville white supremacist who killed protester asks judge for mercy

Right after you look up sarcasm

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have to laugh. My original post was to be “look up irony... or sarcasm.” Then I edited it down. Great minds think alike.

Fields hasn't been accused of targeting anyone based on membership in a protected class (the legal definition of a "hate crime"). He's been prosecuted under the federal statute based on having:

1. Committed a murder (he didn't, but that's besides the point I'm making here), and
2. Prior to committing the murder, engaged in thought crime ("hate").

There was a time when liberals would be horrified at the idea of a person being prosecuted for holding unpopular opinions. Those days are past, apparently.

The 22-year-old white supremacist
This is important when you argue that he didn't commit a hate crime.

We have to be careful here and not let our emotions get in the way. All this, from the start of the protest to the killing and trial has been complicated by emotions running his on both sides.
Either way, the guy was convicted. The punishment should fit the crime. My guess is that, unless he is granted solitary confinement, someone will get to him. I could be wrong

You don't know much about mental illness. People with mood disorders aren't so impaired that they kill people. I think it has more to do with the picture of Hitler that was next to his bed. Did Mr. Field not understand he would kill someone and stand trial? No, he had obvious hateful intent.

It is sad that people with mental illness are in this period of their life vulnerable to these ideologies, my brother who has pretty severe mental illnesses committed a hate crime in his teenage years after he converted to Neo-Nazism. That doesn't absolve him, but it should inform our policy approaches on how to address the spread of hateful ideologies, and that we should treat mental illness as soon as possible in adolescence. As for James, he has no remorse, no psychopathy, and would continue to be a danger to society. Lock him up for good.

My ex-wife has BPD and chronic depression, so yeah... I know a thing or two about mental illness... :roll:

Fields hasn't been accused of targeting anyone based on membership in a protected class (the legal definition of a "hate crime"). He's been prosecuted under the federal statute based on having:

1. Committed a murder (he didn't, but that's besides the point I'm making here), and
2. Prior to committing the murder, engaged in thought crime ("hate").

There was a time when liberals would be horrified at the idea of a person being prosecuted for holding unpopular opinions. Those days are past, apparently.

He's not going to jail because he held unpopular opinions. He's going to jail because he killed someone.

My ex-wife has BPD and chronic depression, so yeah... I know a thing or two about mental illness... :roll:
BPD and Depression won't compel you to kill someone. My older brother is a Self-Destructive BPD and developed Schizophrenia later in life. That's just the tip of the iceberg with my experience with severe mental illness. Unless you are having a bonafide psychotic episode, that will not be an excuse for such a vicious crime as this. He hit many people, it was perhaps a miracle that only one person perished from his actions. This was premeditated murder of a hateful kind, he was not experiencing psychosis, otherwise they would have used the insane defense. His family history is tragic, but it should not lighten a sentence like this.

BPD and Depression won't compel you to kill someone. My older brother is a Self-Destructive BPD and developed Schizophrenia later in life. That's just the tip of the iceberg with my experience with severe mental illness. Unless you are having a bonafide psychotic episode, that will not be an excuse for such a vicious crime as this. He hit many people, it was perhaps a miracle that only one person perished from his actions. This was premeditated murder of a hateful kind, he was not experiencing psychosis, otherwise they would have used the insane defense. His family history is tragic, but it should not lighten a sentence like this.

You are all over the place and addressing things that I never said...

You are all over the place and addressing things that I never said...
You are arguing that his history of mental illness should impact his life sentence, are you not? I showed that it wasn't psychopathy, which matters in terms of his volitional capacities. There was premeditation, hate, and the murderous act itself. Lock him up.

You are arguing that his history of mental illness should impact his life sentence, are you not? I showed that it wasn't psychopathy, which matters in terms of his volitional capacities. There was premeditation, hate, and the murderous act itself. Lock him up.

I am not. I said, "You think that will be a big deterrent to the mentally ill? They will think logically about the consequences, eh?"

Now you are just trolling... I said he was mentally ill. You said did the defense use that. They did. Sentencing is part of the Court Case and hence the Defense's defense in representing their client. I said nothing of "not guilty by reason of insanity"... you added that (moving the goal posts). So either you are trolling or you don't understand how court cases work... not to mention that I never made an insanity claim... merely one that mentally ill people would probably not think logically about their actions, or the consequences associated with them, since they are mentally ill.
You're talking about sentencing, quit being dishonest and tell us what you think this man guilty of premeditated murder for the sake of his hatred should receive.

You're talking about sentencing, quit being dishonest and tell us what you think this man guilty of premeditated murder for the sake of his hatred should receive.

:lol:

I literally quoted what I was talking about:

You think that will be a big deterrent to the mentally ill? They will think logically about the consequences, eh?

And in response you use an entirely different quote of mine to respond to? :lol:

...and I was talking about sentencing within the context of what his defense did because the guy I was responding to said that the defense did not bring up mental illness at all.

:lol:

I literally quoted what I was talking about:

And in response you use an entirely different quote of mine to respond to? :lol:

...and I was talking about sentencing within the context of what his defense did because the guy I was responding to said that the defense did not bring up mental illness at all.
Did you read what I quoted. You seem to be implying he should not get a life sentence. I'm moving on though, fundamentally dishonest people are not worth my time.

He's not going to jail because he held unpopular opinions. He's going to jail because he killed someone.

His holding of unpopular opinion is explicitly part of the basis for federal charges against him.

Goddamit the guy ran over a dozen people with his car, by virtue of the fact that he AIMED the car and floored the accelerator.
He's a killer, and he premeditated his act. He didn't even KNOW the people he ran over. He just saw them and decided to drive his car into the crowd.
I'm sick of hearing defenses for this act.
There was no sufficient compelling mitigating evidence or circumstances which preclude him being treated any other way than as a murderer. And the evidence of his actions are on videotape and there is ample photographic evidence as well.
Lock his sorry ass up and throw away the key.

Goddamit the guy ran over a dozen people with his car, by virtue of the fact that he AIMED the car and floored the accelerator.
He's a killer, and he premeditated his act. He didn't even KNOW the people he ran over. He just saw them and decided to drive his car into the crowd.
I'm sick of hearing defenses for this act.
There was no sufficient compelling mitigating evidence or circumstances which preclude him being treated any other way than as a murderer. And the evidence of his actions are on videotape and there is ample photographic evidence as well.
Lock his sorry ass up and throw away the key.

Give him the same mercy he showed his victims; I'm sure conservatives can get on board with that, what with their belief in the death penalty and eye for an eye... right?

Did you read what I quoted. You seem to be implying he should not get a life sentence. I'm moving on though, fundamentally dishonest people are not worth my time.

You are Trolling... I find this offensive and dishonest.

You have not once addressed what I actually said... and with this post you show your true intentions...

You are Trolling... I find this offensive and dishonest.

You have not once addressed what I actually said... and with this post you show your true intentions...
Yes, my exceedingly personal comments on this very serious subject was trolling. You're the one not honestly expressing your position.

Do you think he should have a life sentence, yes or no? If you don't answer, it is proof you're the troll.

Yes, my exceedingly personal comments on this very serious subject was trolling. You're the one not honestly expressing your position.

Do you think he should have a life sentence, yes or no? If you don't answer, it is proof you're the troll.

I have answered every post that you have addressed to me and I also addressed how his defense included his mental illness...

Charlottesville white supremacist who killed protester asks judge for mercy

Attorneys for James Alex Fields Jr seek less than life sentence.

2019-03-27T172623Z_3_LYNXNPEF2Q1CW_RTROPTP_2_VIRGINIA-PROTESTS.JPG

Flowers in memory of murdered activist Heather Heyer.

In a plea deal with prosecutors, James Fields agreed in March to plead guilty to 1st Degree Murder and receive a life sentence rather than take his chances at a bench/jury trial.

Scum like Fields need to be incarcerated forever as a message to all who seek to kill those who oppose their ideology of hate.

Related: Driver convicted in Charlottesville death seeks leniency as sentencing looms

Too bad..... Of course, cult leader could always pardon him...you know..."good people"

I have answered every post that you have addressed to me and I also addressed how his defense included his mental illness...
No you haven't, just like you didn't answer this one. Par for the course.

What specifically did I say... that you questioned... that I did not answer?

Too bad..... Of course, cult leader could always pardon him...you know..."good people"

There were good people on both sides... he was simply not one of them...

Fields is pure human trash. He deserves to spend the rest of his worthless life behind bars.

He is mentally ill... surely he deserves treatment and a second chance?

What specifically did I say... that you questioned... that I did not answer?
Read my last post to you, there is an explicit question that you did not address. I continually tried to get your answer to this with no response. But I'm the troll.

Read my last post to you, there is an explicit question that you did not address. I continually tried to get your answer to this with no response. But I'm the troll.

Your last post to me said this:

...and there is no question.

Back
Top Bottom