• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Change German Holiday Calendar to Fit Islam' Declares Merkel's Interior Minister

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
"Why shouldn't one consider a Muslim holiday in parts of the country where many Muslims live?" The suggestion by conservative Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere has sparked a fundamental debate in Germany. De Maiziere's proposal quickly turned into a political issue within his own Christian Democratic Union (CDU). The interior minister has latched onto a hot topic that comes on the heels of a debate over whether the CDU lost votes in Germany's recent national election because it abandoned much of its conservative profile.

Holidays have a long tradition in Germany, said Lower Saxony's CDU party chairman, Bernd Althusmann, who immediately criticized the interior minister's proposal.
Althusmann says he fails to see the necessity of changing Germany's long-standing holiday calendar.

In reality, there are already a number of legally regulated Muslim holidays taking place in Germany at the state level. Muslim students in Berlin, Hamburg and Bremen have the right to take a day off. And employees are also afforded the opportunity to go to mosque or pray on the job. In Berlin that right is guaranteed during Ramadan and Eid al-Adha (Sacrifice Feast). Hamburg and Bremen also include Ashoura (Day of Remembrance).
Holidays in Germany are mainly regulated at the state level. There are nine legal holidays across the country, but only one, the Day of German Unity (Oct. 3), is federally mandated.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...d-germany-soon-have-muslim-holiday/764705001/

I'm quite pleased that the CDU continues to blunder and give ground to AfD. Germany is a mostly secular country, where old religious fervor has mostly fizzled out and given way to dull secularism. Creating new regional holidays in Islam's honor sends the message that Germany has left it's past faith, and is now being susceptible to Islam gaining power.

AfD Now, AfD Tomorrow, & AfD Forever.

I'm quite pleased that the CDU continues to blunder and give ground to AfD. Germany is a mostly secular country, where old religious fervor has mostly fizzled out and given way to dull secularism. Creating new regional holidays in Islam's honor sends the message that Germany has left it's past faith, and is now being susceptible to Islam gaining power.

If German Christians can have Christmas as public holidays why can't German Muslims have Eid as a public holiday?

If German Christians can have Christmas as public holidays why can't German Muslims have Eid as a public holiday?

They already do in many cities. The Interior Minister was referring to something completely different, where entire regions would essentially close down on Muslim holidays, like they do in Muslim Countries. The beginning of Germany ceasing to be German, if you will.

And by the way, if I ever live abroad, I'm sure as hell not rude enough to expect people in my new country to adopt my culture or way of life or religious holidays. Why anyone feels entitled to have such expectations met is really beyond me.

Truthatallcosts:

Or at least for a thousand years, eh? Germany has been down that road before and it didn't end well. Why do it again and wreck the country once more?

Evilroddy.

If the USA ever gets its holidays right that would be a good time to tell other countries how to schedule theirs.

:lol:

Just sayin'.

Truthatallcosts:

Or at least for a thousand years, eh? Germany has been down that road before and it didn't end well. Why do it again and wreck the country once more?

Evilroddy.

:roll:

This is actually something the German mind can wrap around, I would think. Christian holidays for Christians, Jewish for Jews and Islamic for Muslims. Each getting their respective time off separately. Much more efficient.

My wife has a diverse staff of doctors under her and they take off for their respective holidays and cover call for each other to allow for uninterrupted family time. Someone's always on call, in the office or there to cover rounding on the patients.

I don't see anything wrong with this really. If you take what I have said in the context I said it, and I support the AfD.

This is actually something the German mind can wrap around, I would think. Christian holidays for Christians, Jewish for Jews and Islamic for Muslims. Each getting their respective time off separately. Much more efficient.

My wife has a diverse staff of doctors under her and they take off for their respective holidays and cover call for each other to allow for uninterrupted family time. Someone's always on call, in the office or there to cover rounding on the patients.

I don't see anything wrong with this really. If you take what I have said in the context I said it, and I support the AfD.
For one thing, it was a suggestion (loud musing if you like), for another it's already off the table again and de Maiziere was the one flicking it off most.

OP is as dishonest as usual in that it was neither a declaration (as thread title falsely claims), nor would it lock down the whole of Germany were a Muslim holiday (1 day) ever imposed where many Muslims live, seeing how not even All Saint's day (Catholic in predominantly Catholic regions) has ever managed to do that. And All Saint's benefits even the Protestants and other non Catholics in 5 Federal states, thus giving a total of 45 million people a day off.

Carnival (Rose Monday) along the Rhine valley is probably more disruptive to overall productivity but it hasn't managed to turn Germany into nation wide costumed binge drinking either.

And if there's any corruption of Christian values, having turned Saint Nicholas (Niklaus) into Santa Claus probably makes the grade far better.

The example you provide wrt your wife's workplace is most apt, institutions responsible for public welfare, security etc. handling it no differently in Germany either.

If the USA ever gets its holidays right that would be a good time to tell other countries how to schedule theirs.

Just sayin'.
This thread has nothing to do with any holidays, it's about the compulsive pursuit of a favourite obsession.

Eevull Moozlems out to get us.

Sieg Heil!

Always good to know the same old suspects will crawl out from under their rocks at any opportunity.

You're having to work twice as hard now that Coldjoint has gone.

Just sayin'.

I don't give a rat's ass about holidays. Call 'em whatever. I make my own anyway. I think I'll have one today. Today is Dog Day. I think Thursday's gonna be a holiday from holidays, so I'll be eating out. Really, it's because I'm sick of chicken. ****ing chicken's everywhere in the fridge. How'd that happen? Oh, yeah... Free Range Day - fifth Tuesday of every month.

Truthatallcosts:

Evilroddy.

I think your worries are misplaced Roddy. AfD has no desire to revisit the mistakes of the NSDAP. They are only interested in preserving prosperity, and protecting Germany's best interests.

They already do in many cities. The Interior Minister was referring to something completely different, where entire regions would essentially close down on Muslim holidays, like they do in Muslim Countries. The beginning of Germany ceasing to be German, if you will.

And by the way, if I ever live abroad, I'm sure as hell not rude enough to expect people in my new country to adopt my culture or way of life or religious holidays. Why anyone feels entitled to have such expectations met is really beyond me.

Isn't that what you're doing here without even being in that country?

I think your worries are misplaced Roddy. AfD has no desire to revisit the mistakes of the NSDAP. They are only interested in preserving prosperity, and protecting Germany's best interests.

Which is what the NSDAP started out saying. Nationalism doesn't really turn out all that great for us Germans...we should probably leave it alone.

Why do you think the Russia government supports AfD and yet accuses the Ukraine government of being Nazi's.

Kremlin and Alt-Right Share “Nazi” Narrative

Shortly after Stranahan’s videos, RT published an article titled, “Far-right in U.S. & Ukraine — same problem, different approach among politicians and media,” and a video report titled, “McCain condemns far-right violence in Charlottesville while supporting Ukrainian nationalists.”

How Russian Voters Fueled the Rise of Germany's Far-Right

Such statements of support from Moscow, as well as the coverage of the Lisa case on Russian state television, helped to galvanize the Russian community in Germany against Chancellor Merkel. Across the country, members of this community staged dozens of protests over what became known as the Lisa affair, including one massive demonstration outside Merkel’s offices in Berlin. “It was then that we saw how Russian propaganda works on these groups,” says Olaf Kuehl, an official in the Berlin legislature who handles outreach to the Russian community. “Even if they have all the channels available, they choose to watch the Russian ones, such as RT,” he says, referring to the Kremlin-funded network formerly known as Russia Today. “That’s how the influence gets in.”

And then we have Breitbart which repeats RT's crap for free.

If you ever did reside overseas, I am sure it would not be a Muslim country.

Seeing how the ignorance that's has shown to govern your assessments of Europe in general and its individual countries in particular is by now legend on here, your evaluation of the AfD can be just as easily dismissed.

Which is what the NSDAP started out saying. Nationalism doesn't really turn out all that great for us Germans...we should probably leave it alone.
Indeed, one should note that the (initial) hard core followership THEN was small and it is today as well. What got the whole movement afloat THEN was the lying and the lies being believed by the more gullible.

As such the prevarications of the OP could be right out of the text books of then and of today.

Go figure.

For those interested, the AfD is mostly concerned with its own internal strife.

In that Frauke Petry, it's chair, has just left it on account of her frustrations at not being able to clean up the Nazi elements within, so as to make it more attractive for future voters that are otherwise disgusted with its radicals.

It is now even more of a hotbed for Nazis then it ever was and, like the Nazis of the 30s, totally incompetent beyond its racism when it comes to matters of economics and other general governance.

Preserving prosperity and Germany's best interests, my bloody foot. :roll:

I put it somewhere over 5 and under 10 years...this is Germany's fate.

Back
Top Bottom