• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Celebrations or other events of which religions have you taken part in?

Celebrations or other events of which religions have you taken part in?

• Catholic

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Protestant

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Anglican

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • other Christian confessions

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Jewish

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Islamic

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Hindu

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Buddhist

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • others

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • none

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Some time later I might ask: And which religions do you like - if any? :cool:

So far 7 out of 11 say: others :)

Some time later I might ask: And which religions do you like - if any? :cool:

The one that teaches the truth about the Bible...

I am in the happy position that I could click onto all the options - except "none".

The only religion whose events I intentionally avoid is Islamic. And I will continue to do so until I am convinced at some point that they have become a peaceful religion. Too many in their ranks these days are too easily radicalized to the point where they either participate in terrorism or support it.

The only religion whose events I intentionally avoid is Islamic. And I will continue to do so until I am convinced at some point that they have become a peaceful religion. Too many in their ranks these days are too easily radicalized to the point where they either participate in terrorism or support it.
Let's see:

8 votes for Jewish
3 votes for Islamic

It is Sabbath Day today.
And once again I will be at the local synagogue here..
It is not that I go there every Sabbath.
But now and then.

It seems only very few have ever dared to take part in anything outside their own religion.
What are people afraid of?
Afraid of landing in hell because their respective God is furious? :cool:

It seems only very few have ever dared to take part in anything outside their own religion.
What are people afraid of?
Afraid of landing in hell because their respective God is furious? :cool:

No one is afraid. Religious celebrations are taken kind of seriously by believers and others may feel uncomfortable dabbling in them if they don't share the belief.

No one is afraid ...

No one?
There are Catholics that would rather die than go to a Protestant church service - and vice versa.

And there are Atheist who would rather be seen dead than be seen anywhere near a church.
For fear of being laughed at by other Atheists.

others may feel uncomfortable dabbling in them if they don't share the belief.

Well, I can only speak for myself.
As a Catholic I feel quite at ease at a Hindu procession - just like at an Corpus Christi procession. :)

No one?
There are Catholics that would rather die than go to a Protestant church service - and vice versa.

And there are Atheist who would rather be seen dead than be seen anywhere near a church.

I am not afraid, I just got no use for lies and deceptions...

No one?

That isn't being afraid.

This is one of the reasons also, of course.
Maybe the most common reason.

But fear can also be a reason - by many.

There can be all sorts of reasons. But why would anyone satisfied with their current religious celebrations even consider trying others?

There can be all sorts of reasons. But why would anyone satisfied with their current religious celebrations even consider trying others?

It is not about trying.
It is about interest.

Would you never vistit a friend in his or her house, because you like your own house so much?

It is not about trying.
It is about interest.

Would you never vistit a friend in his or her house, because you like your own house so much?

I would or should be interested in spending time with a friend anywhere. There is not necessarily interest in religious celebrations any more than any other random event. Is everyone supposed to be interested in opera or ballet just because they like music or dancing?

Last edited:
People are usually born into a religion they keep on the back burner all their life.

Generally when they convert to another religion, it is not because of the religion,
but rather their new group of friends.
Then as time goes on, they learn about the religion.

Not everybody - but some.

But you seem to think it should be a natural inclination, when it comes to religious celebrations, with the main deterrent being fear. I strongly disagree with that conclusion.

Celebrations or other events of which religions have you taken part in? :2wave:

Everyone should celebrate the death, burial and resurrection, if not also the birth, of Jesus Christ.

Back
Top Bottom