• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cat feeding advice

So far, and I am glad for that. Feral cats are hard to account for. The dry food must be an addition to what they are killing in the beyond. We fed ferals that way, and they kept our southern yards and near woods clear of snakes and vermin, etc., and they learned to hide from hawks. The owls were almost impossible to figure out for them, so they slunk along wood lines and hedges.

They are big on lizards here, my cat killed a dove and evidently, buried it. My little dog dug it up and I tried for 15 minutes to get it from him. I waited an hour and a half to let him in, and he promptly puked it all over the bedroom.

Him and one cat, hunt lizards together. She "gifts" him with her kills. WTH?

Rest in peace, Specklebang, the cat man. Sorry he's not here to answer questions, sigh.

Random observations and opinions: I've never had a female cat develop a UTI, In the case of my beloved old man, who lived to be 19, the vet showed me the crystals in the urine--yow, poor guy was peeing shards of glass. I guess he was 10 when he was switched to prescription Science Diet and distilled water.

My current man-cat began screaming one day, I knew what it was. My vet said IAMS was fine, and I've had no further problems for the past five years. In my experience, canned food frequently leads to loose poops, but I do use it to hide worm meds in. And cats don't digest egg whites well.

In the absence of other symptoms, I wonder if the peeing outside the litter box is behavioral. I "inherited" four cats (two male and two female) a year and half ago, and there is some competitive litter box use and sneaky, punishing behaviors by my female and the other two girls. I have to do ceremonial fresh pours of food during the day; it's "stale," you know, if not personally served.

When I was growing up, a neighbor lady had a standard poodle that had serious digestive issues, and all he ate was cooked chicken and rice. She always had a vat going on the stovetop. I don't know that I'd go that complicated route. Besides the hassle of removing the fat and bones, seems like it would be a pretty big shock to the cats' digestive systems. And someday, a long time from now, they're going to be rehomed, so thinking about the adoptive parents is important too.

All wet cat food is better than the best cat food. Period. Forever. Amen. Put some hot water on the wet food, and it will make a gravy that will drive them crazy.

Change immediately.

If the get an intestinal inflection, they will most likely die because their uretha is so tiny that it will collapse from infection or disease from bad food.

Anyone who tells you the kitties have had no trouble with the dry food, they are leaving out "yet".

God, I remember in the 90's when no one knew about this and there was no research on dry food in the long term, and people just thought it was normal for basically every cat to wind up with kidney failure. Everyone just thought cats had "bad kidneys," as if evolution just forgot about that part of their body. The cat we had when I was a little kid died of kidney failure, just like all the rest.

Even 10 years ago, it was something a lot of people didn't know and vets often didn't talk about. It's really encouraging to see how much more aware everyone is now. Good on you for seeking information about your hunch, Maggie.

Mine eat a lot of lizards.

My sister & family live in rural PA. Many squirrel heads have been found. Perps still on the loose!

:mrgreen:

She actually brought an indoor cat from Manhattan and let it roam freely. It turned into a barn cat that lived for over 10 years fending off anything that nature through its way. The cat died of natural causes, probably an age related heart attack.

Last edited:
:mrgreen:

My sister & family live in rural PA. Many squirrel heads have been found. Perps still on the loose!

My man-cat is half-feral, and he hunts bunnies. And eats rat heads. Just the heads. And lizards. Ah, life in the country!

They are big on lizards here, my cat killed a dove and evidently, buried it. My little dog dug it up and I tried for 15 minutes to get it from him. I waited an hour and a half to let him in, and he promptly puked it all over the bedroom.

When we came down here, one of our guys caught a gecko that got inside. The tail was hanging out of his mouth when I caught him and made him spit it out. I think the damn thing lived. That was a freaky sight.

When we came down here, one of our guys caught a gecko that got inside. The tail was hanging out of his mouth when I caught him and made him spit it out. I think the damn thing lived. That was a freaky sight.

Geckos are common indoors, none are native, we have the Medditeranian and the Indo pacific, gecko. I encourage them in the house, if you have a bug problem, they are better than spraying toxins, the last house we lived in, had a roach problem.

We put out glue traps, I caught our gecko twice, I freed him with lukewarm water and dawn soap, twice. That was the end of the glue traps. Geckos are your friend!

My man-cat is half-feral, and he hunts bunnies. And eats rat heads. Just the heads. And lizards. Ah, life in the country!

Interesting. They all have different tastes. Just like people!

Hey, man, the "gifting" is a sign of love. My mom didn't like dead shrews on the porch in the morning, but, it was a "love offering".:lol:

I have three cats. One of them doesn't pee in the litter box. He uses puppy pads. He does use the litter box to poop. SAVE ME!!! At least two of them a few times a week throw up their dry food... a high end pet store product. One is for sure the one who doesn't pee in the box. They also get one can of medium priced cat food, the small tin. Once a week, they get a tin of tuna in water. That usually lasts the three of them two days.

So I thought I'd try to make cat food for them. Anyone else do that? Any suggestions? I've got a recipe that calls for chicken stock, chicken, rice, egg, and olive oil. Thought I'd add a carrot. Says grind it all up after cooking.

Any thoughts?

The vet has examined the cat who doesn't use the litter box and says there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him. I have four litter boxes for the here of them. Clean them every day. And change them once a week.

Not helpful but... :2razz:

1cd15253-7002-4363-95e9-5e6b1648988e.jpg

Geckos are common indoors, none are native, we have the Medditeranian and the Indo pacific, gecko. I encourage them in the house, if you have a bug problem, they are better than spraying toxins, the last house we lived in, had a roach problem.

We put out glue traps, I caught our gecko twice, I freed him with lukewarm water and dawn soap, twice. That was the end of the glue traps. Geckos are your friend!

They don't bother me, but they freak my wife. We have seemingly a zillion kinds up here. I consider bug eaters my friends. I let 'em live, but they need to be outside..

They don't bother me, but they freak my wife. We have seemingly a zillion kinds up here. I consider bug eaters my friends. I let 'em live, but they need to be outside..

Explain to her they are harmless, spiders and roaches are much more harmful. We had one big fella for 3 years (the poor guy in the glue trap) They are very accustomed to living in a house. A strange reptile, seemingly able to live without the sun (largely nocturnal) They have a really freaky pupil and lick their eyelids clean. They can crawl across a glass ceiling.

Interesting. They all have different tastes. Just like people!

And unique personalities too.

The video clip below is NOT an accurate representation of the notes or the voice of the Kliban cat (not that anybody ever heard it), but I wanted an excuse to post this because I'm a huge Kliban fan and have been thinking about "Love to eat them mousies" for a couple of days.

Last edited:
Explain to her they are harmless, spiders and roaches are much more harmful. We had one big fella for 3 years (the poor guy in the glue trap) They are very accustomed to living in a house. A strange reptile, seemingly able to live without the sun (largely nocturnal) They have a really freaky pupil and lick their eyelids clean. They can crawl across a glass ceiling.

I have. We have no bug problems, so I have no verbal ammo to get her to accept them inside. Outside, nothing freaks her, but inside spiders and lizards do, so I have to save them. Woman can be weird...

And unique personalities too.

The video clip below is NOT an accurate representation of the notes or the voice of the Kliban cat (not that anybody ever heard it), but I wanted an excuse to post this because I'm a huge Kliban fan and have been thinking about "Love to eat them mousies" for a couple of days.

I've heard it, and love it. Thanks, as I hadn't thought of that in a few years. Last mouse caught by our cats was maybe 2010.

I have three cats. One of them doesn't pee in the litter box. He uses puppy pads. He does use the litter box to poop. SAVE ME!!! At least two of them a few times a week throw up their dry food... a high end pet store product. One is for sure the one who doesn't pee in the box. They also get one can of medium priced cat food, the small tin. Once a week, they get a tin of tuna in water. That usually lasts the three of them two days.

So I thought I'd try to make cat food for them. Anyone else do that? Any suggestions? I've got a recipe that calls for chicken stock, chicken, rice, egg, and olive oil. Thought I'd add a carrot. Says grind it all up after cooking.

Any thoughts?

The vet has examined the cat who doesn't use the litter box and says there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him. I have four litter boxes for the here of them. Clean them every day. And change them once a week.

I asked my wife, and the first thing she said is, human tuna is not good for cats. A quick internet search by me confirmed this. A tiny amount here and there as a treat is okay, but definitely shouldn't be a part of their overall nutrition program. Even tuna packaged for cats should be used in moderation, because of the mercury issue. As for the other issues, she kinda said what I did, you may have to experiment with each individual cat since some are more sensitive to certain brands than others. She wasn't really sure about the urinating outside the box thing. We have a young female cat that occasionally does this, but I think it's because she ain't too bright. :mrgreen: My wife keeps straw on the floor of the "Catio", and in their little nighttime building, and I think she confuses it with litter occasionally.

I did a little research on the "wet/dry" debate. And it's true to some degree that a diet of pure dry food can be problematic. But, a diet of wet/dry mixed food is generally considered okay. I guess what you have to watch for in cat food, is too much grains. Cats are carnivores, and need mostly animal protein. I plan on looking into this a little more in depth, and will let you know what I find.

Your post has spurred me to investigate this, and I thank you for it. I usually consider the cats to be my wife's deal (though I am really attached to our oldest one), and never really paid too much attention to their care. Of course, I am tasked with the building of our vast, zoo quality, cat compound. I am allergic, and we can't really keep the cats in the house, so we have spent most of our free time this summer expanding their protective outside domain. :mrgreen: Maybe I'll start a thread about it. :)

I asked my wife, and the first thing she said is, human tuna is not good for cats. A quick internet search by me confirmed this. A tiny amount here and there as a treat is okay, but definitely shouldn't be a part of their overall nutrition program. Even tuna packaged for cats should be used in moderation, because of the mercury issue. As for the other issues, she kinda said what I did, you may have to experiment with each individual cat since some are more sensitive to certain brands than others. She wasn't really sure about the urinating outside the box thing. We have a young female cat that occasionally does this, but I think it's because she ain't too bright. :mrgreen: My wife keeps straw on the floor of the "Catio", and in their little nighttime building, and I think she confuses it with litter occasionally.

I did a little research on the "wet/dry" debate. And it's true to some degree that a diet of pure dry food can be problematic. But, a diet of wet/dry mixed food is generally considered okay. I guess what you have to watch for in cat food, is too much grains. Cats are carnivores, and need mostly animal protein. I plan on looking into this a little more in depth, and will let you know what I find.

Your post has spurred me to investigate this, and I thank you for it. I usually consider the cats to be my wife's deal (though I am really attached to our oldest one), and never really paid too much attention to their care. Of course, I am tasked with the building of our vast, zoo quality, cat compound. I am allergic, and we can't really keep the cats in the house, so we have spent most of our free time this summer expanding their protective outside domain. :mrgreen: Maybe I'll start a thread about it. :)

Please do. I may add something like that to our screened in porch/lanai at some point. The only cat we have left right now wouldn't be interested, so it's on hold. He's 17, and a lazy introvert.

As for the tuna - totally concur. One of ours was REALLY into it though, and what I used to do with him was squeeze the water out of water packed tuna into a bowl for him on occasion. He could hear the cans open from anywhere - and he could tell those cans from others.

Yup, definitely. I give a dollop of tuna as an occasional treat, and sardines for their birthdays. :mrgreen: But land critters should be the base of the diet.

I think it's also important what you said about the wet/dry debate, and to make sure you always double check your information. There's lots of conspiracy theories about dry food out there and how it's poison, but really, it's not the complicated.

It's simply that cats have a weak thirst drive, so they don't drink enough water to compensate. They're dry-weather animals and they just don't feel thirst like we do. Long-term, that can cause issues. That's really the biggest reason wet food should ideally be the primary part of the diet.

Secondarily, people often don't realize that dry food has more calories by volume than wet because its starchy, and that's why both cats and dogs can get fat on it so easily, and the issues that can cause. They eat until they're full, and they don't know if that's 200 calories or 500 calories.

For some people, cost or limitations on ability or time can stop some people from going 100% moisture-dense diet, but there are people that are way too shaming about this or believe all sorts of crazy stuff about dry food. What's important is that we do the best we can with the information we have. For some people, the best they can do is half-wet. That's better than none! And for other people, they simply didn't know. And if their vet has never told them, why would they think there's anything wrong with it? Like I said in an earlier post, back in the 90's, everyone fed totally dry diets to their cats. It was less expensive, and there was no research about it. I can't blame my parents for doing that when no one knew.

It's striking the balance between being informed and doing your best, and getting mired in the misinformation that can be on both sides of this, or people who can get overly intense or uppity about how other people are doing. I've seen people get really crazy about this on pet care forums, and that just isn't going to help anyone learn more or feel compelled to gain more information. It just makes people defensive and angry.

I get a big bag of dry if I have to go out of town so the pet sitter can actually feed her enough, because she can only visit once a day, and I don't worry about that even a little -- I just make sure she has an extra large water bowl down. It's not poison, it's just not the best option for a main, long-term diet. And I've had people brow-beat me even about that.

I think of the pet food debate like politics, honestly. Question everything. ;)

Yup, definitely. I give a dollop of tuna as an occasional treat, and sardines for their birthdays. :mrgreen: But land critters should be the base of the diet.

I think it's also important what you said about the wet/dry debate, and to make sure you always double check your information. There's lots of conspiracy theories about dry food out there and how it's poison, but really, it's not the complicated.

It's simply that cats have a weak thirst drive, so they don't drink enough water to compensate. They're dry-weather animals and they just don't feel thirst like we do. Long-term, that can cause issues. That's really the biggest reason wet food should ideally be the primary part of the diet.

Secondarily, people often don't realize that dry food has more calories by volume than wet because its starchy, and that's why both cats and dogs can get fat on it so easily, and the issues that can cause. They eat until they're full, and they don't know if that's 200 calories or 500 calories.

For some people, cost or limitations on ability or time can stop some people from going 100% moisture-dense diet, but there are people that are way too shaming about this or believe all sorts of crazy stuff about dry food. What's important is that we do the best we can with the information we have. For some people, the best they can do is half-wet. That's better than none! And for other people, they simply didn't know. And if their vet has never told them, why would they think there's anything wrong with it? Like I said in an earlier post, back in the 90's, everyone fed totally dry diets to their cats. It was less expensive, and there was no research about it. I can't blame my parents for doing that when no one knew.

It's striking the balance between being informed and doing your best, and getting mired in the misinformation that can be on both sides of this, or people who can get overly intense or uppity about how other people are doing. I've seen people get really crazy about this on pet care forums, and that just isn't going to help anyone learn more or feel compelled to gain more information. It just makes people defensive and angry.

I get a big bag of dry if I have to go out of town so the pet sitter can actually feed her enough, because she can only visit once a day, and I don't worry about that even a little -- I just make sure she has an extra large water bowl down. It's not poison, it's just not the best option for a main, long-term diet. And I've had people brow-beat me even about that.

I think of the pet food debate like politics, honestly. Question everything. ;)

Great post SmokeAndMirrors.

I had never been a cat person until my brother-in-law got the brilliant idea that he would drop his cat off in our woods. We didn't see hide nor hair of him for three weeks. Then he started coming around, and the rest is history. Now, three more cats later, I'm a cat person whether I like it or not. Luckily, I love the little butt heads. :D

Our latest addition. Haven't named him yet, but I'm leaning toward Blue. He's a 6 mo old Siamese/Tabby mix. Also a dropped off cast away from the area. You can't really tell through the screen, bit he's got ice blue eyes.
20170812_134034.jpg

I hate when the pics load sideways. It was straight on my phone lol.

Any thoughts?

I have four cats.I used one liter box. I use the clumping liter that you can buy at Sams Club. I never use non-clumping liter due to the fact the urine smell just stays until all the liter it is all dumped. For dry food I get Meow Mix hairball control. For canned food I feed them the "Meow Mix Tender Favorites" wet food. I feed them wet food in the morning when I wake up. The only time one of them might throw is if one them scarfs their wet food down too fast.

As for your cat not using the litter box it could be the liter, it may not like the texture between it's toes. There might be something wrong it's paws. If its an enclosed liter box it may not like the smell that builds up. It would be like you using a porta-potty at a music festival except worse since cats have a stronger sense of smell than people do.

Great post SmokeAndMirrors.

I had never been a cat person until my brother-in-law got the brilliant idea that he would drop his cat off in our woods. We didn't see hide nor hair of him for three weeks. Then he started coming around, and the rest is history. Now, three more cats later, I'm a cat person whether I like it or not. Luckily, I love the little butt heads. :D

Our latest addition. Haven't named him yet, but I'm leaning toward Blue. He's a 6 mo old Siamese/Tabby mix. Also a dropped off cast away from the area. You can't really tell through the screen, bit he's got ice blue eyes.
View attachment 67221177

I hate when the pics load sideways. It was straight on my phone lol.

Cute!!

I understand why some people don't immediately relate to cats. They don't emote with their faces like dogs do, so the way they communicate can seem unintuitive to a human. They're also more skittish than dogs, because they are both predators and prey. Earning their trust takes a bit more effort.

But once you get to know them, they're very sweet creatures. As loving as any dog if you put the work in.

I love dogs, and I'd have one if I wasn't allergic to them. But cats were my first animal love and after all these years with them, understanding them pretty well, I'll always be a cat person at heart. :)

Anoles are all over Florida. They have evolved a defense mechanism whereby if a predator grabs their tail, it will break off allowing the rest of the lizard to escape - they then re-grow the tail. For some reason, my nephew's cat has a lizard tail fascination - lots of tail-less lizards running around his place. :lol:

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

Just a couple ideas.

A reason for them throwing up could be hairballs? Cats groom a lot and if they have long hair that could
be the cause? Try brushing them a bit more and see if that helps.

They could be eating too much food? Our boys ( 2 kitty's who are brothers) were getting pretty big as they got older
the vet said they are less active as they age so we need to cut back on their food. He gave us a specific amount to give each one.
That worked pretty good both lost weight over a few years. Ben did figure out where the other food was so we had to watch him.
Sammy is 20 years old now. Ben passed about 2 years ago at 18 years old. Good luck with your cats.

Back
Top Bottom