• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Can there be an all mighty god?

It's also interesting that Isaiah 40:22 and Job 26:10 both seem to make reference to a circular shaped earth back when those books were written.

Yes, long before science finally established it as fact...imagine that...all they would've had to do is read the Bible to learn that little bit of truth long, long ago...

Prove Santa false

Whistle for it.

Yup you are definitely going to miss out on heaven

Who do you think you are, God? You don't know squat.

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to eternal life." - John 5:24

CrabCake introduced me to a new word this week: apokatastasis, (1) the state of being restored or reestablished; restitution, and (2) the doctrine that Satan and all sinners will ultimately be restored to God. Apokatastasis | Define Apokatastasis at Dictionary.com

The ultimate reconciliation of all is my hope.

Well, those in Christ will be reconciled to God, but unbelievers will be cast into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 21:8).

"And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever." - Revelation 20:10

I'm not religious in the least, I have more then enough reason to be anti religious, rape, war, slavery the list goes on and on, but I don't hold it against anyone for being religious. If that's what works for you then God bless.

My real question here is, can a god (all religions are based on a god, gods, god like figure), be all mighty?

A say not.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Any righteous God that can claim almightyness and preside over Uncle Roy's to phucking 14 year olds is fairly powerful in the eyes of His equally accommodating adherents, no?

Well, those in Christ will be reconciled to God, but unbelievers will be cast into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 21:8).

"And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever." - Revelation 20:10

Humankind really went awry with this religious perceptual reality of a male dominator god. Pass. On all of them.

Humankind really went awry with this religious perceptual reality of a male dominator god. Pass. On all of them.

When you can bust the resurrection then you'll have some credibility on that claim.

Yep, reconciliation for all of mankind would be nice but that ain't gonna happen, according to Scripture...some have a rebellious nature, just like our original parents and Satan...and rightfully/justly so, they will be destroyed...that is the only way for God's original purpose for a paradise earth to come about...

So you'd prefer to be a robot, running a fixed program with no choice in the matter? I doubt many would agree with that.

When did I say I prefer it, you assume far too much. This isn't about what O prefer, it's about why there is no all mighty god.

NFbIDiO.gif

Would you feel more kindly disposed to female domination, Fenton?
Ultimate Reality is Ultimate Reality, after all, however personified, no?
One ought not let politics stand in the way of religious connection, surely.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Any righteous God that can claim almightyness and preside over Uncle Roy's to phucking 14 year olds is fairly powerful in the eyes of His equally accommodating adherents, no?
Your perplexity and bitterness are at least two thousand years old.
Check out the anti-theodicies later in the article. They might be for you.
Peace.
Theodicy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodicy

"Can there be an almighty God?"

Well lets just say this, something somewhere is actually almighty and what we can say for certain is that it isn't a "scientist" nor will a "scientist" ever figure out what that something somewhere actually is.

What science does is jump from myth to myth finding one that some contemporary fools think is finally right

Last edited:
Yep, reconciliation for all of mankind would be nice but that ain't gonna happen, according to Scripture...some have a rebellious nature, just like our original parents and Satan...and rightfully/justly so, they will be destroyed...that is the only way for God's original purpose for a paradise earth to come about...

They won't be destroyed. The scripture says they'll be tormented day and night forever.

It's also interesting that Isaiah 40:22 and Job 26:10 both seem to make reference to a circular shaped earth back when those books were written.

Well, the Isiah 40:22 is talking about a circle, like a coin, If it was talking about an earth shaped object, it would have used the term for 'ball', which Isaiah used earlier.

The term in Isaiah 40:22 is 'Chug'. That's flat like a coin. The same term is used in Job 26:10.

If they wanted something more like what the earth is shaped as, they would have used the term 'Dur'.

My real question here is, can a god (all religions are based on a god, gods, god like figure), be all mighty?

A say not.
The OP question assumes the existence of God. Very well. Assuming the existence of God, the question is: Is it possible that God is almighty?

The answer is either it is possible or it is not possible (= impossible). There are no other answers.

So either God is almighty or God is not almighty. These are the only two possibilities.

Now if it is not impossible that God is almighty, then it is possible that God is almighty. (Law of Excluded Middle)
It is not impossible that God is almighty. (i.e., there is no logical inconsistency in the concept of divine omnipotence)
Therefore, it is possible that God is almighty.
QED

In the parlance of the OP: God can be almighty.

Last edited:
I'm not religious in the least, I have more then enough reason to be anti religious, rape, war, slavery the list goes on and on, but I don't hold it against anyone for being religious. If that's what works for you then God bless.

A say not.

I think that "All Mighty" is a misplaced phrase of history that has, as I remember, come the protestant side of religion: New Testament...

Biblically it's almighty, meaning "power over others", I'm not sure I can believe that one. As we know, religion is dogmatic and God as we also know has had so many different interpretations throughout human history that's hard to hang your hat on just one. As for Christian evangelicals, I suppose it's pretty much what they believe and teach, so outside of that I don't think that "All Mighty" as it's been put here can exist.

The OP question assumes the existence of God. Very well. Assuming the existence of God, the question is: Is it possible that God is almighty?

The answer is either it is possible or it is not possible (= impossible). There are no other answers.

So either God is almighty or God is not almighty. These are the only two possibilities.

Now if it is not impossible that God is almighty, then it is possible that God is almighty. (Law of Excluded Middle)
It is not impossible that God is almighty. (i.e., there is no logical inconsistency in the concept of divine omnipotence)
Therefore, it is possible that God is almighty.
QED

In the parlance of the OP: God can be almighty.
Well if a god cannot create an object that he can't lift there is one thing he can't do, so therefore there is no all mighty god. I had hope for you.
I think that "All Mighty" is a misplaced phrase of history that has, as I remember, come the protestant side of religion: New Testament...

Biblically it's almighty, meaning "power over others", I'm not sure I can believe that one. As we know, religion is dogmatic and God as we also know has had so many different interpretations throughout human history that's hard to hang your hat on just one. As for Christian evangelicals, I suppose it's pretty much what they believe and teach, so outside of that I don't think that "All Mighty" as it's been put here can exist.

By far the most reasonable answer so far.

Well if a god cannot create an object that he can't lift there is one thing he can't do, so therefore there is no all mighty god. I had hope for you.
Anthropomorphism has addled your thinking about Ultimate Reality, Lefty. Look to it.

They won't be destroyed. The scripture says they'll be tormented day and night forever.

Here is my understanding of Rev.20:10 and how I came to that conclusion...it says that the Devil will be cast into “the lake of fire” and “tormented day and night for ever and ever"...if the Devil were to be tortured for all eternity, God would have to preserve him alive, but the Bible says that Jesus will “destroy him.” Hebrews 2:14, KJ

So with that in mind, the symbolic fiery lake represents “the second death.” Revelation 21:8

This is not the death first mentioned in the Bible...death because of Adam’s sin...death from which one may be released by a resurrection....1 Corinthians 15:21, 22

Because the Bible does not say that “the lake of fire” would release those in it, “the second death” must mean another kind of death, an irreversible one...

In what sense are those in “the lake of fire” tormented eternally? At times, “to torment” can mean “to restrain” someone...once when Jesus confronted the demons, they cried out, “Art thou come hither to torment us [restrain us in the abyss] before the time?” Matthew 8:29; Luke 8:30, 31; KJ

So all of those in “the lake” will suffer the “torment” of everlasting restraint, or “the second death.”

In the Scriptures fiery torment is associated with destruction and death...for example, in the Greek Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Scriptures the word for torment..basanos...is several times used with reference to punishment by death...Eze. 3:20; 32:24, 30

Concerning Babylon the Great, the book of Revelation says, “the kings of the earth...will weep and beat themselves in grief over her, when they look at the smoke from the burning of her, while they stand at a distance because of their fear of her torment...Rev. 18:9, 10

As to the meaning of the torment, an angel later explains...“Thus with a swift pitch will Babylon the great city be hurled down, and she will never be found again.” (Rev. 18:21

So, fiery torment here is parallel with destruction, and in the case of Babylon the Great, it is everlasting destruction...Rev. 17:16; 18:8, 15-17, 19

But regardless of torment or destruction...they will never be allowed to wreak havoc on the earth or in the heavens ever again...

lol...

proph·e·cy
ˈpräfəsē/Submit
noun
a prediction.
"a bleak prophecy of war and ruin"
synonyms: prediction, forecast, prognostication, prognosis, divination, augury
"her prophecy is coming true"
the faculty, function, or practice of prophesying.
"the gift of prophecy"
synonyms: divination, fortune-telling, crystal-gazing, prediction, second sight, prognostication, augury, soothsaying
"the gift of prophecy"

https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And then there's Job 26:7...

"He stretches out the northern sky over empty space,
Suspending the earth upon nothing
;"

Science says that the earth remains in its orbit in space primarily because of the interaction of gravity and centrifugal force...these forces are invisible...the earth, like other heavenly bodies, is suspended in space as if hanging on nothing...

Yes, long before science finally established it as fact...imagine that...all they would've had to do is read the Bible to learn that little bit of truth long, long ago...
I addressed this misunderstanding (not just yours) elsewhere already and also in here just now. But I've deleted my post here since Ramoss had already taken care of the matter with his #117.

Changes nothing in the fact though that what you claim in your above is without merit.

Back
Top Bottom