• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California judge refuses to bring back Trump's sanctuary cities ban

One more try... Please explain to me how a president violates his oath of office by not deporting someone who is eligible for deportation, given that he has discretion not to act. As I have tried to explain, the president is allowed to do this. If I go on tv and announce that I am here illegally, the president does not have to act to deport me. He can just ignore me and not violate the law. Nothing you have presented indicates he is *required* to deport anyone who is ineligible to stay in the US. That is my sole point. Now I'll stop.

6 USC 202(5) which includes securing borders, setting immigration policies and enforcing them. This, along with sovereignty issues and the potential dangers to citizens from non-citizens means that his oath is included in deporting those that act against US interests in a criminal manner. YOU think it is discretionary, and it is, but once its made policy, it has to be enforced. You don't like the current policy and don't want it to be enforced, that doesn't mean it doesn't have to be enforced.

Selective enforcement is also not a defense against deportation. Involved in the deportation is a number of due process rights. Even deportation has to be adjudicated. But legally the executive branch is completely correct in making immigration laws actually be enforced.

If anything, the amount of deference in immigration law is due to the fecklessness of Congress in showing the balls to pass immigration law that acts in US interests rather than special interests to garner votes from both the left and the right.

They're neither required to carry out deportation duties nor are they required to notify ICE (with the exception I already mentioned). In other words my original claim, which is that local law enforcement don't fall under the purview of ICE and are not required to carry out immigration services themselves, stands.

Bull****. There are agreements between Justice and local law enforcement agencies in which they receive funds to do so, if they are going to breach those agreements they do not deserve the dollars attached to fulfill those obligations.

no, the problem is you believe that everyone who does not think like you, is somehow stupid, inferior, and/or uneducated...you refuse to consider any opinion other than your own, refuse to entertain the notion that maybe, just maybe, you don't know everything. that being said, i don't think you know the founders half as well as you think.

Thank you!!!

6 USC 202(5) which includes securing borders, setting immigration policies and enforcing them. This, along with sovereignty issues and the potential dangers to citizens from non-citizens means that his oath is included in deporting those that act against US interests in a criminal manner. YOU think it is discretionary, and it is, but once its made policy, it has to be enforced. You don't like the current policy and don't want it to be enforced, that doesn't mean it doesn't have to be enforced.

Selective enforcement is also not a defense against deportation. Involved in the deportation is a number of due process rights. Even deportation has to be adjudicated. But legally the executive branch is completely correct in making immigration laws actually be enforced.

If anything, the amount of deference in immigration law is due to the fecklessness of Congress in showing the balls to pass immigration law that acts in US interests rather than special interests to garner votes from both the left and the right.

You are right about everything except for the last paragraph, tho this is my presumption and not based on absolute certainty: I think the discretionary aspects of immigration law continue to exist because for practical reasons, not because of fecklessness of our representatives. If you have ever crossed a border you probably are aware of "secondary inspection," used by folks at the "line," as it is called, to further search your car, luggage, or person. If they did that to everyone, things would come to a halt, and constituents would give their congresspeople hell. I once had a thorough secondary inspection of my luggage at the airport and wondered to the official why I was chosen. He told me it was my age, the fact that I was alone and had been in Peru and Bolivia, cocaine country, tho my flight was from Mexico City. The other Americans in line with me were coming from Mexico and Central America and were mostly older and couples. On the other hand, when I lived on the border with Mexico, the guards knew me and would wave my car through almost always, perhaps having me open the trunk. Even with the extra resources Trump wants and congress will give him, he will have to prioritize where to spend the dough and on what.

Well I want somebody to pick the fruits and vegetables or any price won't be an issue. There won't be any fruit and vegetables for anybody who doesn't grow their own or who can't go to the farmer's field and harvest their own. Americans have generally managed to figure out how to get things done when things need to be done though, and if there were no illegal workers, something would be figured out.

But so long as California corrals, feeds, clothes, houses, educates, medicates, etc. all the illegals, who cares how many illegals there are? It's just the expectation that the rest of us pick up the bill so they can compete in the fruit and vegetable market that is the burr under the saddle.

Trump even has to hire more............

Trump's Private Clubs In Florida Are Seeking Visas For Foreign Workers : NPR

Bull****. There are agreements between Justice and local law enforcement agencies in which they receive funds to do so, if they are going to breach those agreements they do not deserve the dollars attached to fulfill those obligations.

What agreements? Which laws? Which regulations? Be specific.

What is it with the right?? Everything you don't like - don't let them vote!! Impeach the fraud!! You seem to really want to head lock step into a dictatorship. Why?? What are you so afraid of?? You really need someone to tell you what to do all the time?? Every hour??
What happened to the fiscal conservative?? The conservative of family values??
This is why I"m no longer a Republican - it's moved so freaking far to the right it's ridiculous.
You say you want freedom but wow you're rushing to throw it out the window. Oh yea.......except for guns.

Why do you oppose The Constitution?

What agreements? Which laws? Which regulations? Be specific.

DOJ made agreements to be notified and allow for detainment of people until they can be picked up by ICE if they are illegal, they are also paying for the extra jail time and processing. If they are not abiding by those agreements, they should not be eligible for the funds set aside for those purposes. What even I find egregious is feds can hold back a variety of DOJ based funding to coerce compliance, not just the aforementioned funds.

Before you object, know that the fed has a history of using this coercion and its been upheld by SCOTUS.

You are right about everything except for the last paragraph, tho this is my presumption and not based on absolute certainty: I think the discretionary aspects of immigration law continue to exist because for practical reasons, not because of fecklessness of our representatives. If you have ever crossed a border you probably are aware of "secondary inspection," used by folks at the "line," as it is called, to further search your car, luggage, or person. If they did that to everyone, things would come to a halt, and constituents would give their congresspeople hell. I once had a thorough secondary inspection of my luggage at the airport and wondered to the official why I was chosen. He told me it was my age, the fact that I was alone and had been in Peru and Bolivia, cocaine country, tho my flight was from Mexico City. The other Americans in line with me were coming from Mexico and Central America and were mostly older and couples. On the other hand, when I lived on the border with Mexico, the guards knew me and would wave my car through almost always, perhaps having me open the trunk. Even with the extra resources Trump wants and congress will give him, he will have to prioritize where to spend the dough and on what.

Sorry your anecdotal story isn't in any way contradictory to what my last paragraph: Congress has been feckless in passing immigration laws and the executive has been just as feckless in enforcing those already passed. Neither should be acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom