• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California High School Teacher On Leave After Questioning School Shooting Walkout

Why, exactly, is a walkout required for 17 minutes of silence? You again changed the subject - your post to which I replied mentioned your giving you kids occasional excused absences from school and tried to compare that to a general walkout.

It required them walking outside for 17 minutes of silence. You didn't know that? You don't know the significance of the 17 minutes?

My kids can get excused from school at any time for political purposes, with my permission. They had my permission to participate in the walkout. So again, what is the difference?

I already said if there is any parents are students who objected to pro-gun restriction laws than according to your standard than the adults involvd should also be suspended to which you turn into jello and ebuliously respond that isnt whay she was suspended. Once again tell me why you think she was suspended.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

So you can't find the double standard that the school applied? Then we wasted a lot of time here.

The rest of your post is pretty incoherent. Perhaps when you're posting in English I can understand what you're trying to say.

So you can't find the double standard that the school applied? Then we wasted a lot of time here.

The rest of your post is pretty incoherent. Perhaps when you're posting in English I can understand what you're trying to say.
Few typos sorry

I did explain the double standard and your deflections sand refusal to concretely explain why she was suspended isnt going to rescue you from this. It only exposes your dishonesty

Few typos sorry

I did explain the double standard and your deflections sand refusal to concretely explain why she was suspended isnt going to rescue you from this. It only exposes your dishonesty

You explained the double standard that never happened, unless you can produce some evidence that it happened. I don't really have any interest in debating something that didn't happen. Maybe you do.

She was suspended for the reasons we discussed throughout this thread. From the OP, her subsequent interview, the words from the school, etc. You need to me to bring you up to speed with what this story is about? Sorry, but I have to log off soon and there are threads I want to read. Read the OP onward and you'll know why they suspended her. Or you can email the school and ask them if you don't want to do that.

It required them walking outside for 17 minutes of silence. You didn't know that? You don't know the significance of the 17 minutes?

My kids can get excused from school at any time for political purposes, with my permission. They had my permission to participate in the walkout. So again, what is the difference?

Really, where is a link to that requirement? You keep saying things which you simply assume that everyone knows.

One minute for each student killed at the Parkland, FL HS one month earlier.

Really, where is a link to that requirement? You keep saying things which you simply assume that everyone knows.

One minute for each student killed at the Parkland, FL HS one month earlier.

That was what the protest was about. 17 minutes of silence. There were 17 victims in Parkland. One minute of silence for each. This wasn't a secret.

So why are you asking me for a link to the requirement? I was pretty clear what the expectation for each participant in my kids' school was. I assumed everyone knew what the expectation for all kids across the country was. Guess I was wrong.

It's kind of sad that so many of you who don't have kids in high school are all worked up about what other peoples' kids did. Nobody died as a result of this. No animals were harmed in the making of it. Why does it upset you so much? I can't say it upsets me when a school in Texas has a pep rally or a prayer vigil or a day off so the teachers can have a workshop. Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong things and should be melting down about something that doesn't impact or concern me?

Think in a broader sense as in what? Schools pick and choose when they let students leave? That would have been relevant had it actually happened. It didn't. And unless it happened, nobody was discriminate against.

Schools let their students walk out of class to protest, without punishment. Are you saying that didn't happen?

Either way, this story reminds me of a fantastic 10th grade teach I once had. The best lesson I ever learned was one she'd be fired for today, saddly. We were studying WW2, and the rise of the Nazi party, and the start of severe anti semitism within Germany. And the question came up, how could otherwise civil people be so evil to the fellow humans? The next day, her lesson was delivered. She gave us a pop quiz, all multiple choice, all impossibly hard questions, as I recall. Thought for sure I bombed it. We went to lunch, came back, and she had them graded, at which point, she announced, congrats, almost ALL passed, but ONE person failed, and went on about how disappointed she was in this person, etc. Then, she called the student out. It was terrible. Her name was Anne. And she started to cry. And all of the rest of us sat there, doing nothing. She ended the lesson, I figure, just before Anne had a complete break down, called her over calmed her down, then told us that the quiz was bogus, we all failed, and in addition, we all sat by and did nothing as an authority figure singled out and bullied a fellow human, breaking clearly defined morals and ethical guidelines.

It's a lesson I took to heart, and has affected every aspect of daily life. And if a teacher ever tried it today, they'd be fired so fast, there'd wonder if they ever were a teacher in the first place. Sad, really.

That was what the protest was about. 17 minutes of silence. There were 17 victims in Parkland. One minute of silence for each. This wasn't a secret.

So why are you asking me for a link to the requirement? I was pretty clear what the expectation for each participant in my kids' school was. I assumed everyone knew what the expectation for all kids across the country was. Guess I was wrong.

It's kind of sad that so many of you who don't have kids in high school are all worked up about what other peoples' kids did. Nobody died as a result of this. No animals were harmed in the making of it. Why does it upset you so much? I can't say it upsets me when a school in Texas has a pep rally or a prayer vigil or a day off so the teachers can have a workshop. Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong things and should be melting down about something that doesn't impact or concern me?

You said that it was a requirement to walk outside and to have parental permission. I am getting tired of bolding a phrase and having you pick out one word of it. HAND

Few typos sorry

Maybe I’m not thinking the same as everyone else on this, but I don’t think anyone gives a rip about routine school activities. But when it looks like they are encouraging causes for one side and not the other, then people take notice, as well the should.

You don’t start defending your rights when you are on the verge of losing it, you defend it when it is first attacked. This is clearly an attack on the Bill of Rights, and needs to be met, and it was.

Sent from my iPhone X using Telepathy.

Yes, I'm the parent. And we got repeated communications from the school saying that if we didn't want our kids participating, we were to notify the school. And?

So, what you are saying is that if you (the parent) failed to notify the school that you child wasn't to participate, then it was mandatory?

Yes, the walkout at my kids' school was peaceful. I posted about it on Wednesday when they came home from school. 17 minutes of silence followed by a few kids talking about how much they would like to make the schools and world a better place when they are the adults, and how much they hoped Congress can get together and try to figure out some things that would work. Peaceful.

If only that would be so passonate about learning English, Math, and Science.....You know? What they are there for?

Owned? I'm not the one that tried that weak Charlottesville crap in a thread about high schoolers...better go back to the drawing board with your **** son, it's played.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

lol...no, "son", I'm good, and generalization is the tool of the intellectually lazy. Come back when you have something interesting to offer, you're not going to score points on me with lame shortcuts. :lol: Who do you think you're talking to? Perhaps start with learning what an analogy is, as well as demonstrating the weakness of another point by comparing that weak point with an equally weak point. Then you'll be caught up with what happened here, and why I'm laughing at you right this very moment. ;)

lol...no, "son", I'm good

Nah, you're silly....

and generalization is the tool of the intellectually lazy.

Then you should steer clear of it in the future....

Come back when you have something interesting to offer,

What I have to offer is clearly over your head.

you're not going to score points on me with lame shortcuts.

LOL, you think I am here to impress you? Who the hell are you? No one.

Who do you think you're talking to?

A very typical progressive.

Perhaps....

Yawn! I stopped reading here...You're putting me to sleep.

Standing up for justice has it's consequences these days...

As it did during Mao's cultural revolution, Pol Pot served up a lot of "justice" too.

Happy to see you understand the parallels

So, what you are saying is that if you (the parent) failed to notify the school that you child wasn't to participate, then it was mandatory?

If only that would be so passonate about learning English, Math, and Science.....You know? What they are there for?

No, because I never said it was mandatory. I said, repeatedly, that if the parents did not want their children to participate they were to notify the school and had to take some action to prevent it. The kids had a choice from the school to participate or not. There were many that didn't. In fact, probably half of my kids' school didn't participate, according to my sons. Not sure where you're coming up with "mandatory".

My kids are passionate about their studies. All of them, in fact. That's why all 3 were/are in the National Honor Society. Which is what they're in school for 180 days a year for.

You said that it was a requirement to walk outside and to have parental permission. I am getting tired of bolding a phrase and having you pick out one word of it. HAND

I never actually said either one. Why did you make that up?

Nobody was required to participate in the walkouts. I never said they were. Nobody in my kids' school had to have parental permission. I said the school said we had to contact them if we didn't want our kids to do it, and we had to take action to prevent it - take them out for the day, drive to the school to put them in our cars, whatever we wanted, I guess. You are quite confused. Does it work you up that much?

Schools let their students walk out of class to protest, without punishment. Are you saying that didn't happen?

Either way, this story reminds me of a fantastic 10th grade teach I once had. The best lesson I ever learned was one she'd be fired for today, saddly. We were studying WW2, and the rise of the Nazi party, and the start of severe anti semitism within Germany. And the question came up, how could otherwise civil people be so evil to the fellow humans? The next day, her lesson was delivered. She gave us a pop quiz, all multiple choice, all impossibly hard questions, as I recall. Thought for sure I bombed it. We went to lunch, came back, and she had them graded, at which point, she announced, congrats, almost ALL passed, but ONE person failed, and went on about how disappointed she was in this person, etc. Then, she called the student out. It was terrible. Her name was Anne. And she started to cry. And all of the rest of us sat there, doing nothing. She ended the lesson, I figure, just before Anne had a complete break down, called her over calmed her down, then told us that the quiz was bogus, we all failed, and in addition, we all sat by and did nothing as an authority figure singled out and bullied a fellow human, breaking clearly defined morals and ethical guidelines.

It's a lesson I took to heart, and has affected every aspect of daily life. And if a teacher ever tried it today, they'd be fired so fast, there'd wonder if they ever were a teacher in the first place. Sad, really.

I can't answer for any other school. My kids' school let the students participate in the walkout if they wanted to, without punishment. I thought that was clear? It was for an event. They also let the older kids leave if they don't want to participate in pep rallies without punishment. Letting kids in or out of events or activities without punishment isn't a new thing.

My kids can be excused at any time from school with my permission, and it could be to attend a political rally or campaign for a candidate or carry signs at our capitol. This isn't any different.

Kids are suppose to be learning in schools...not fulfilling someone else's political agenda(s).

Why do you object to schools allowing students 17 minutes of respectful silence for other dead kids?
There's nothing wrong with that. But it begins to cross the line when it involves a political agenda.

Want to mourn the death of kids from another school? Fine.
You wanna protest current gun laws? Do it on your own time.

Maybe I’m not thinking the same as everyone else on this, but I don’t think anyone gives a rip about routine school activities. But when it looks like they are encouraging causes for one side and not the other, then people take notice, as well the should.

You don’t start defending your rights when you are on the verge of losing it, you defend it when it is first attacked. This is clearly an attack on the Bill of Rights, and needs to be met, and it was.

Sent from my iPhone X using Telepathy.
Im not sure what everyone else thinks.i can only speak for myself. I see a very blatant double standard despite the denials by the people that are benefiting from it.

I guess i come from a diferent perspective too because im not arguing that students should be entitled to protest oro right positions on shool time. I think schools should not be showing support or resistence for either side.

If students feel strongy about an issue they can do that on their own time and at their own expense. Schools should not take advocate for any partisan position.

All that being said the fact that schools are behaving partisan is mostly the fault of a lazy community. Superintendents are elected positions and they need to be held accountable for their policies. This includes people without children too. As hilliary famously said it takes a cilliage to raise a child.

No, because I never said it was mandatory. I said, repeatedly, that if the parents did not want their children to participate they were to notify the school and had to take some action to prevent it. The kids had a choice from the school to participate or not. There were many that didn't. In fact, probably half of my kids' school didn't participate, according to my sons. Not sure where you're coming up with "mandatory".

My kids are passionate about their studies. All of them, in fact. That's why all 3 were/are in the National Honor Society. Which is what they're in school for 180 days a year for.

I must remember that you take everything written litterally....

the butt hurt from the right is that the schools allowed students to engage in a display of support for their 17 slain fellow high school students and to exhibit support for our government to better regulate the militia and the arms they bear

why was allowing the students to engage in this public display of support for a cause that is meaningful to them something those on the right disapprove

I don't have a problem with allowing any sort of political speech by students (unless it is hateful and intended to intimidate fellow students). That being said, this teacher is being very active about telling her side of the story and the school district is playing their cards close to the vest. I would not be surprised if there is more to this than her account.

Because it was one month to the day of the Parkland shooting (February 14) at 10:00 am local time. If you knew anything about the walkouts you wouldn't have had to ask me that.

FYI there is another one scheduled for April 20, also at 10:00 am local time. That's the 19th anniversary of Columbine.

"Scheduled" --- that's not grassroots organizing at each individual school, tres. C'mon.

It's a double standard if that happened. But it didn't. So it's only a hypothetical. It appears you don't understand what a double standard is either. This is "let's make up a double standard that doesn't really exist so we can discuss it".

You can only call something double standard when it exists. What you described is setting up a strawman. Not the same thing.

First, except I didn't call something ("it") a double standard; I described the teacher's use of a propositional thought experiment to teach a critical thinking principle to teach the meaning of double standards . So the only "strawman" being employed is your habitual invention of adversarial hobgoblins.

Second, I did not "make up" a double standard event or the concept to in order to discuss it. I am discussing this subject BECAUSE a teacher was put on administrative leave over one or more parents (and the administration) unhappyness with her teaching students critical thinking using a hypothetical stance as an heuristic device. If you don't think that really happened I suggest you alert CBS.

Third, the only person in this thread that seems unaware that the term "double standard" exists independently as an abstract concept is you. "A double standard is the application of different sets of principles for similar situations.[1] ...a double standard “implies that two things which are the same are measured by different standards” (Eichler 1980:15)."

Last, and as an entirely separate issue, whether or not the students or teacher's specific treatment is a double standard on the part of the school cannot be said to "exist" or "not exist" conclusively. But of the evidence available, the school has chosen a punitive action without offering a justification or policy as a rationale.

Therefore, I side with the teacher as innocent till shown guilty of a transgression.

When an organization announces that students around the country should walk out to protest gun violence on a particular day at a particular time a few kids saying "Yeah! Yeah! We should do that!" doesn't then make the protest "grassroots".

Progressives are such hypocrites. They wail against "gun violence" and the NRA ("Hey, hey, NRA, how many children did you kill today?") but support aborting the unborn by the tens of millions. 17 minutes wouldn't be enough to protest that. You might as well shut the schools down forever.

What if I said:
[sark]
"Conservatives are such LIARS. They repeatedly whine and cry and act like victims while spending epic sums of money trying to define what liberals think and trying to control the dialogue instead of just asking liberals what they think. That would be counterproductive because it might just blow their conspiracy theories about liberals all to Hell, and then the revenue stream for their alternative facts industry would stop.

Why yes, of course we want TENS of MILLIONS of aborted babies. We want rivers of fetal blood in the streets and we want fetal tissue to be incorporated into Gerber baby food so that more babies will grow up with a hunger for aborted flesh, and of course we learned all of this from our Jewish overlords who use fetal blood to make their matzohs."
[/sark]

Now here's an uncomfortable truth.
Conservatives aren't pro life at all, they are PRO-BIRTH but once the baby is born, they run screaming and point fingers at people who support programs to help single mothers and their children, calling them lazy moochers who want free stuff.

Long as it's inside the uterus, it's a person, once outside the uterus, it's a tax liability and all taxation is theft, and the poor are poor because they are wicked.
I'll see your "hypocrisy" charge and raise you.

Two can play your game ;)

VKMrXBs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom