• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

British Muslim schoolteacher denied entry to US

Was he trying to enter The United States?

People just dont enter the US to immigrate you know, there is such a thing as tourism, conferences and business dealings too.

British Muslim schoolteacher denied entry to US - CNN.com

Muslim teacher denied entry to US on school trip - BBC News
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...us-bound-flight-i-was-treated-like-a-criminal

Ok so this might not be huge news, it's just one guy, but as a mixed race British national living and working in the US this is of particular importance to me so I wanted to know people's thoughts. Is this the direction that the US as a country is heading? Should I be afraid to leave the country? To go back and see my family in case I'm not allowed back in? Was it because he had a muslim name (lending credence to the idea of a 'muslim' ban)? A friend of mine is a (blonde white) Muslim Bosnian living here on a green card and she says she's not going to be leaving the country until she's got her citizenship.

Or maybe it's just an honest mistake by the people at immigration. In which case, hell of a coincidence it happened to a guy named Mohammad.

What's the reason that he was denied entry into the United States? I can't find it in the article.

Maybe it was just a mistake like you said.

People just dont enter the US to immigrate you know, there is such a thing as tourism, conferences and business dealings too.

Either way, it isn't a right.

Either way, it isn't a right.

According to international visa treaties, it is. UK citizens are allowed to enter the US without a visa, and Trump said his travel ban (even though it was blocked) does not affect British nationals.

According to international visa treaties, it is. UK citizens are allowed to enter the US without a visa, and Trump said his travel ban (even though it was blocked) does not affect British nationals.

According to The Constitution, it isn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...us-bound-flight-i-was-treated-like-a-criminal

Ok so this might not be huge news, it's just one guy, but as a mixed race British national living and working in the US this is of particular importance to me so I wanted to know people's thoughts. Is this the direction that the US as a country is heading? Should I be afraid to leave the country? To go back and see my family in case I'm not allowed back in? Was it because he had a muslim name (lending credence to the idea of a 'muslim' ban)? A friend of mine is a (blonde white) Muslim Bosnian living here on a green card and she says she's not going to be leaving the country until she's got her citizenship.

Or maybe it's just an honest mistake by the people at immigration. In which case, hell of a coincidence it happened to a guy named Mohammad.

You have a lot of questions here and yet , with your lack of knowledge about the situation you still find a way to twist it into "he's Muslim so he must be a victim". Until there is more information I am not going to form an opinion since I am not a knee jerk emotional kind of person.

Wonder if you have the same viewpoint on guns :roll:

What do they call that thing where someone doesn't have a good argument so they divert to another argument that has nothing to do with the original argument? Straw something.

84796713.jpg

I remembered!!!!! strawman fallacy.

a7f57e46b3a25280866a027a30231252.jpg

Who else besides Mohammed has corroborated his story?

I'm a bit skeptical these days, especially after the Iraqi man accused Trump of killing his mom by issuing the travel ban, and it turned out his mom was dead long before any of that went down. The media jumped on that story too, they just completely took his word as the truth.

We deny math teachers access to the staffroom all the time. What is the big deal here?

I know better than this but the constitution binds us to international treaties.

All the right wingers are stroking themselves cause there's one less rag head in the country.

Projection? Is this how you think so you think everyone else thinks this way?

I absolutely empathize with how the guy felt and an explination is in order. Maybe they good reason but they need to demonstrate what it was.

Im not gonna comdemn the gov before giving them an opprotunity to explain. Im sure people are mostakenly denied admittance occasionally and this might be one of those times but it needs to be explained. Authority must be held accountable for its actions.

For as much as i disagreed with obama i supported giving the detainees trials. Its scary to give any gov the authority to hold prisoners indenifitely without a trial.

Nilly to answer your question. If i had any doubts about being readdmitted into the country i would not travel. I would suggest going to the authorities ahead of time and explain your travel plans and ask them how to avoid what happened to that math teacher.

I feel badly that you find yourself in such a position but i hope you can at least understand why. Its not about people hating muslims or minorities. Its about people being wary of a dangerous threat that is hiding within the cultures.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Has anyone considered that the immigration official who made this decision, might have had something against math teachers?
I thought it was universally accepted that we all hate math teachers.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Oh for chrissake- this has got to be the most ignorant reply Ive ever seen. Show me where in the constitution does it say that.

Who else besides Mohammed has corroborated his story?
Well his employer, which is the Council, have taken up the case on his behalf which suggests all the core facts are correct and they trust that there isn’t anything untoward he’s not telling.

Given the point of this is just to get an explanation of why he was refused entry to the US (and if it was an honest error, an apology and efforts to prevent it happening again), it wouldn’t really be in his interests otherwise. If there was a valid reason he isn’t telling about, the US officials could just point that out and turn the whole story around.

A math teacher on a field trip?

Reminds me of many years ago, the class stoner in 7th grade algebra asked the teacher: "Why don't we go on a field trip?" Teacher: "A field trip, where would a math class go on a field trip?"

Stoner: "Into the dark and multiply."

Back
Top Bottom