• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brexit, Texit, Yes California and Second Vermont Republic

It seems to me the right of secession is the ultimate state's rights issue.

I disagree.

Once the states agreed to be part of these United States, they gave up their right to unilaterally secede from the union.

Now, while the Constitution does not provide a remedy for secession, it stands to reason that IF a state legislator did vote in favor of secession they would still need to get approval from Congress to do so. Congress would never allow that to happen.

Abso****inglutely!

Seattle rules the state in liberals douchebag voters, leaving many in southern and eastern Washington w/o good representation. It's one sided.

Same for Portland Metro and the rest of Oregon.
Same for LA/SF vs. the rest of Calif.
Same for Las Vegas vs. the rest of Nevada
Same for metro Colorado vs. the rest of the state
And on and on................

Southern Or. and Northern Calif, were in the process of forming the State of Jefferson, when WWII broke out, halting proceedings. I for one sure wish they had gotten it done.

You think that crap happens only in Washington state? Get real man! (Better yet, get outside your state and off the west coast more often.) Alabama's been a strong-hold for 1-party rule for decades!! First, it was conservative Democrats who controlled things. Now, that party loyalty has swung over to the side of conservative Republicans. But don't let the party switch fool you. It's the same political ideology just under the banner of a different political party.

I think the United States as a whole should secede from Washington, D.C.
That way, you solve about 9/10ths of America's problems and maintain unity all at the same time...
:mrgreen:

Oh, sure, if they are non violent negotiations should be undertaken--- but if part of the state wants to remain loyal they shouldn't be forced to leave.

Of course. That's how West Virginia was formed after all.

I disagree.

Once the states agreed to be part of these United States, they gave up their right to unilaterally secede from the union.

Now, while the Constitution does not provide a remedy for secession, it stands to reason that IF a state legislator did vote in favor of secession they would still need to get approval from Congress to do so. Congress would never allow that to happen.

That's like saying that a married couple can not get a divorce as they gave up their right to go their separate ways when they married. People change, times change, attitudes change, and states, like individuals, should be able to change their minds.

read the rest

Seems we once fought a civil war over this issue, but that was a long time ago. Should states be allowed to leave the union and go their own way?

No. They should have to follow the constitutional route, which means that constitution would need to be amended to make such an outcome possible. Such an amendment should be opposed, IMO. The constitution should not provide for national breakup.

Of course, if one supported Brexit, a consistent position would assert that were such states to hold a referendum, they should be allowed so secede were secession to prevail by a narrow margin.

Back
Top Bottom