• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brexit reality starting to hit home....

You are overblowing the "radiated/Drug infested" food thing... just don't buy it if you don't want it... it doesn't force people to buy anything..

No it is not overblowing it. Europeans dont want drug infested radiated foods, especially when it is not needed and due to animal cruelty.

You authoritarian types don't understand the concept of just because you think it's not a good idea, doesn't mean you should force EVERYONE to not do or have it. The chlorinated chicken doesn't harm the food, it's proven not to...

yea it is just natural to eat chlorinated food... You do know why the US does that right? Because their chicken farms are so filthy and full of diseases. The only way to make the chickens eatable.. is by flushing corrosive materials across them to kill all the germs. And of course it has not been "proven".. just as smoking has not been proven to cause lung cancer... well at least it was until it was proven after the industry were forced to admit it.

No evidence of that yet, the scare mongering around Brexit is outrageous. Let's at least let it play out first before we start ordering coffins. Plus as I pointed out foreign investors haven't been deterred even with it hanging over us

I don't see the EU as being any more stable without the UK. Grexit is inevitable and Italy should follow. All of the EU is trapped by the Banks and nearly powerless as individual Nations. The Russia sanctions will eventually fail because Eurasia includes Russia and it is foolish/ignorant not to trade with Russia. At that point business moves Eastward, including China.

/

WTF is this "free movements of peoples" stuff?

It means that anyone can move between the countries for work.

Prior to the EU I could freely travel to the UK as long as I had a valid passport with all my shots, and vice versa. In fact I can still go just about anywhere in the world under the same conditions (except the one or two proscribed nations like North Korea).

Yes because of an agreement between the US and UK. Because of Brexit, the UK has to negotiate a new free movement deal with the US. Difference is, now the UK is the small weak negotiator and does not have the might of the EU behind them.

The same holds true for anyone else, unless there is a specific ban, like the one President Trump initiated for six Middle Eastern nations.

Again, you can do that because the US has negotiated such easy travel... to some countries. US citizens do need visas to many countries though, and at least for a period might need it for the UK as well.

Now if you mean travel without passports? Only citizens of the nation (like the right to travel freely within the 50 U.S. States) are entitled to that privilege. If you mean open borders and free migration? I don't know why you think either the USA or most other nations would insist on this internationally.

No, I mean travelling to the UK to live and work. That is free movement of people.

It means that anyone can move between the countries for work.

Yes because of an agreement between the US and UK. Because of Brexit, the UK has to negotiate a new free movement deal with the US. Difference is, now the UK is the small weak negotiator and does not have the might of the EU behind them.

Again, you can do that because the US has negotiated such easy travel... to some countries. US citizens do need visas to many countries though, and at least for a period might need it for the UK as well.

No, I mean travelling to the UK to live and work. That is free movement of people.

LOL. There is no such thing between the USA and the rest of the world. :no:

The closest thing we used to have was between the U.S. and Canada...right up until 9/11.

Were you born around the time the EU was formed?

Have you no idea how travel and work authorization is done outside the EU as between independent nations?

American citizens have a right to work in the USA. Foreigners do not have the right to "freely move" between our country and theirs to work.

If you are a foreigner you have to qualify and be approved for permission to work in the USA. (At least, that's the way it is supposed to work...lot's of illegals of course)

The only reason it works the way it does between "countries" in the E.U. is because your system is similar to a confederation, and one of the agreed rights is the right to free travel and work within your Union of any citizens of member nations.

It is something similar to U.S. Citizenship in our Federation of States.

Last edited:
More pro-eu brexit doomsday talk…seriously I use to wonder why people were skeptical about the EU, it made so much sense as an economic block, not so much as a European state. The UK who has never been on board with mainland EU policy is now trying to go its own way and pro-EU can't stop with talk of doom and gloom to a mildy successful EU-agreements who's postive affects on britian are questionable to say the least. Just wow! :spin:

LOL. There is no such thing between the USA and the rest of the world. :no:

The closest thing we used to have was between the U.S. and Canada...right up until 9/11.

Were you born around the time the EU was formed?

Have you no idea how travel and work authorization is done outside the EU as between independent nations?

American citizens have a right to work in the USA. Foreigners do not have the right to "freely move" between our country and theirs to work.

If you are a foreigner you have to qualify and be approved for permission to work in the USA. (At least, that's the way it is supposed to work...lot's of illegals of course)

The only reason it works the way it does between "countries" in the E.U. is because your system is similar to a confederation, and one of the agreed rights is the right to free travel and work within your Union of any citizens of member nations.

It is something similar to U.S. Citizenship in our Federation of States.

Listen I have lived and worked and gone to school around the world, so I know fully well how it works. It is you that do not understand the basics of this. Countries like Australia, India and others have wanted free movement of peoples between the UK and themselves for a long time. This means as little "paper work" as possible.. no tourist visa, no visa for going to school and certainly no visa or "green card" for work. That is free movement of peoples, which exists within the EU. Some countries outside the EU have easier time getting work permits or allowances, but the large majority of countries citizens have to have special skills or a job before being allowed to move to the EU/UK. Australia wants more, as does India and many others. It is only natural. Australia and India dont need trade with the UK... but the UK certainly needs their trade, so no matter what the UK will be in a weak position.

More pro-eu brexit doomsday talk…seriously I use to wonder why people were skeptical about the EU, it made so much sense as an economic block, not so much as a European state. The UK who has never been on board with mainland EU policy is now trying to go its own way and pro-EU can't stop with talk of doom and gloom to a mildy successful EU-agreements who's postive affects on britian are questionable to say the least. Just wow! :spin:

What European state? It is an economic block. The only ones who think and promote it more than it is, are rabid nationalists or those who have no clue on what the EU is.

Listen I have lived and worked and gone to school around the world, so I know fully well how it works. It is you that do not understand the basics of this. Countries like Australia, India and others have wanted free movement of peoples between the UK and themselves for a long time. This means as little "paper work" as possible.. no tourist visa, no visa for going to school and certainly no visa or "green card" for work. That is free movement of peoples, which exists within the EU. Some countries outside the EU have easier time getting work permits or allowances, but the large majority of countries citizens have to have special skills or a job before being allowed to move to the EU/UK. Australia wants more, as does India and many others. It is only natural. Australia and India dont need trade with the UK... but the UK certainly needs their trade, so no matter what the UK will be in a weak position.

You certainly are making broad generalizations as if they were facts.

Of course a nation like India would want "free movement." They are in the running with China for most populated (and crowded) nation on Earth.

Nothing would suit them better than to push as many people out onto other nations and relieve the stress of over-population and under-resources than something like that.

Just about any third world nation would love it...good for them, not so much for the developed nations populations.

But to say that the USA would "push" for it? I think not. :no:

not the UK .... England has never been on board whereas Scotland has been onboard since day 1

No it is not overblowing it. Europeans dont want drug infested radiated foods, especially when it is not needed and due to animal cruelty.

yea it is just natural to eat chlorinated food... You do know why the US does that right? Because their chicken farms are so filthy and full of diseases. The only way to make the chickens eatable.. is by flushing corrosive materials across them to kill all the germs. And of course it has not been "proven".. just as smoking has not been proven to cause lung cancer... well at least it was until it was proven after the industry were forced to admit it.

If you don't want it... don't buy it....why don't you understand this? You can't speak for all Europeans....

If you don't want it... don't buy it....why don't you understand this? You can't speak for all Europeans....

No I dont.. but I know my fellow Europeans... they will not eat that **** the Americans make. Hell many have a serious problem with Hala meat because of how it is done, and you expect me to believe they would be okay with chlorine chicken and drugged up beef?`

Actually his entire OP is about the trials and tribulations if the UK goes through with Brexit.

The basic argument is how will the UK survive without all the wonderful goodness provided by the EU if does Brexit...pretty standard position of the anti-Brexit party.

It is your point that is a red herring. :coffeepap:
No, again, yer putting words in another's mouth, creating straw man arguments. Brexit is happening, the effects are beginning to be seen, and the effects will be on the economy. I'm not aware of any legit economists arguing for a "collapse" of the UK economy, but many are arguing that it will not have an overall positive effect, but a negative.

A lot of people, especially those charged with protecting the food quality and health consequences of that food do not want US meat on their shelves in the super markets. We have chosen to not allow meat full of growth hormones and anti-biotics to be sold here, and I support that totally.

Back
Top Bottom