• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Book Bans Are Rising Sharply in Public Libraries

Reminiscent of Nazi censorship 1935-1939

iu
More like reminiscent of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, 1989

Then get the books in question Age Limits... they do that here. Kids can not check out books that are deemed not suitable for children without parental consent. I had to go the the library to talk to the librarian to allow my daughter to check out books for older kids... the library was then OK with it

That doesn't suit the right-wingers in Warren Co, VA.

Any and every book should be made available to any adult through public libraries.

Not every book should be made available to minors.

Removing the book based on the law isn't banning it from the ljbrary? Please explain.
Every book that the library doesn't carry is banned. From the 1861 edition of Joseph Leidy's An Elementary Treatise on Human Anatomy (you know, the one bound in human skin) to last month's edition of Penthouse Forum.

Are guns banned in America?

This particular thread is about book bans....

Book Bans Are Rising Sharply in Public Libraries​

Yes, I know. My question is adjacent to the topic. If books are banned, are guns also banned?

Two years into a surge in book banning efforts across the country, restrictions that were largely happening in school libraries, where they affected children, are now affecting the wider community as well.

Most of the challenged books were by or about people of color or L.G.B.T.Q. people.

“A year, a year and a half ago, we were told that these books didn’t belong in school libraries, and if people wanted to read them, they could go to a public library,” said Deborah Caldwell-Stone, the director of the A.L.A.’s Office for Intellectual Freedom. “Now, we’re seeing those same groups come to public libraries and come after the same books, essentially depriving everyone of the ability to make the choice to read them.”

The most dramatic spike in book bans took place in Florida, which removed more than 1,400 books and surpassed Texas as the state with the highest number of removals, according to PEN. Florida emerged as a hot spot for book challenges after the state passed several laws aimed in part at restricting educational and reading material on certain subjects. As school districts scrambled to comply with the new regulations earlier this year, some teachers and librarians removed entire shelves of books.

View attachment 67469455

The right says abortion laws are up to the state. Now some states make it illegal to leave the state for an abortion.

The right says some books don't belong in school libraries. Now they want them out of public libraries.

Is this the country you want to live in?
YOU do come off as a doctrinaire hater, you know.
To say ,as you do , that anyone cans so or do anytihing is just to align yourself with the strongest beasts in the jungle.
From experience, I know that people like you do more book banning with their children than any other group !!!

I support parents and I oppose cowardly snoops like you. Raise your own children :)

To the contrary, the righties on my school board can't ban books fast enough. Thank the Koch brothers.
There are hundreds of legally prohibiteds in the law code !!!
Anytime licensing comes into play for example, everyone without exception outside the license is prohibited.
So you can't just call yourself a doctor or lawyer. AMAZING you don't know this.

There are hundreds of legally prohibiteds in the law code !!!
Anytime licensing comes into play for example, everyone without exception outside the license is prohibited.
So you can't just call yourself a doctor or lawyer. AMAZING you don't know this.
Welcome. Starting out by being antagonistic is not a good sign. Bye!

No books should be removed from adult sections of the public library.

Books that are sexually explicit be they hetrosexual or LGBTQ should not be allowed in elementary or middle school libraries.
Do you think they should have banned Huckleberry Finn or Catcher in the Rye?

I support this for public libraries.

A public library in VA has agreed to put the questionable books in a special section with limited access.

These books should not be available in schools and I don't mean universities.

You have my opinion, tell me your opinion on the 2 points I made.
What makes them "questionable?" What is the criteria for it?

Ironically, I am reminded of the classic book, Fahrenheit 451.

Books that are sexually explicit be they hetrosexual or LGBTQ should not be allowed in elementary or middle school libraries.
Do you think they should have banned Huckleberry Finn or Catcher in the Rye?
Seems familiar.

Attachments

• NAZI book burning with salute.jpg
    NAZI book burning with salute.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • NAZI book burnings.jpg
    NAZI book burnings.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0
  • NAZi book-burning-Salzburg-1938_ap_img.jpg
    NAZi book-burning-Salzburg-1938_ap_img.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
Two years into a surge in book banning efforts across the country, restrictions that were largely happening in school libraries, where they affected children, are now affecting the wider community as well.

Most of the challenged books were by or about people of color or L.G.B.T.Q. people.

“A year, a year and a half ago, we were told that these books didn’t belong in school libraries, and if people wanted to read them, they could go to a public library,” said Deborah Caldwell-Stone, the director of the A.L.A.’s Office for Intellectual Freedom. “Now, we’re seeing those same groups come to public libraries and come after the same books, essentially depriving everyone of the ability to make the choice to read them.”

The most dramatic spike in book bans took place in Florida, which removed more than 1,400 books and surpassed Texas as the state with the highest number of removals, according to PEN. Florida emerged as a hot spot for book challenges after the state passed several laws aimed in part at restricting educational and reading material on certain subjects. As school districts scrambled to comply with the new regulations earlier this year, some teachers and librarians removed entire shelves of books.

View attachment 67469455

The right says abortion laws are up to the state. Now some states make it illegal to leave the state for an abortion.

The right says some books don't belong in school libraries. Now they want them out of public libraries.

Klanned karenhood strikes again.

View attachment 67469455

see, now your own bigotry is on full display. Are you really saying that no Black parents are doing this??? GIVE ME one citation to back that up
As for books of perversion, EVERY parent I know censors their children's reading. I can think of no exception

What has changed is intolerant types like you have gotten more authoritarian and close-minded.
You now think you can legislate for MY kids, but I should be forced not to do that for you.

VERY VERY OBvious why you think as you do

View attachment 67469455

No State has the authority to ban a person from traveling for an abortion, now some States do have a law the prevents a person (other than their parents) to cross state lines with a minor for abortions without their parent consent. Which, by the way, almost all States have laws that state it is illegal to transport a minor across state lines without parents/guardians consent.

No State has the authority to ban a person from traveling for an abortion, now some States do have a law the prevents a person (other than their parents) to cross state lines with a minor for abortions without their parent consent. Which, by the way, almost all States have laws that state it is illegal to transport a minor across state lines without parents/guardians consent.
Transporting women across state lines is covered by the Mann Act.

On Thursday, the U.S. Department of Justice told the courts its position: The state cannot block people for traveling for legal abortion and also cannot "seek to achieve the same result by threatening to prosecute anyone who assists that individual in their travel.”
A judge has not ruled on the issue there.

Marshall's office said in a statement that it would not back down: “Attorney General Marshall is prepared to defend our pro-life laws against this most recent challenge by the Biden Administration and, as always, welcomes the opportunity."

At least four Texas counties have adopted ordinances this year to allow private citizens to sue those who help women travel on certain local roads for the purpose of obtaining abortion.

Three of the counties are in west Texas, not far from New Mexico, one of the handful of states that does not ban abortion at any point in pregnancy — a major contrast to Texas, where it's illegal in every stage of pregnancy with exceptions only to protect the life or physical health of the woman.

The fourth county with such a law is in southern Texas.

There have not been any reported lawsuits filed under the new laws. And so far, they have not faced court challenges.

Try again, more specific.
Here you go. Are your fingers broken? It's called the Google machine.

Mann Act​

The Mann Act (also known as the White-Slave Traffic Act of 1910) is a federal law that criminalizes the transportation of “any woman or girl for the purpose of prostitution or debauchery, or for any other immoral purpose.”

The Mann Act, passed in June 1910 and named after Illinois Congressman James R. Mann, invoked the Commerce Clause to felonize the use of interstate or foreign commerce to transport women for immoral purposes. The Act was aimed at prostitution, immorality, and human trafficking. Congress appointed a commission in 1907 to investigate into the problem of immigrant prostitutes. It was alleged that immigrant women were brought to America for sexual slavery and immigrant men lured American girls into prostitution (or “white slavery”). The committees believed that no girl would enter prostitution unless drugged or held captive. This led to public outrage which eventually resulted in the enactment of the Mann Act.

Every state has that right. Even the interstate codes about committing a crime and crossing a border says so
Do you realize that all you do is transfer the quesiton of who can kill the baby to who will the law consider a minor!!
It's ludicrous, Look up statutory rape...ALL states prosecute it becuse it is immoral but there is no agreement on the age.

Back
Top Bottom