• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Book Bans Are Rising Sharply in Public Libraries

Loulit01

Leftist Filth
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Two years into a surge in book banning efforts across the country, restrictions that were largely happening in school libraries, where they affected children, are now affecting the wider community as well.

Most of the challenged books were by or about people of color or L.G.B.T.Q. people.

“A year, a year and a half ago, we were told that these books didn’t belong in school libraries, and if people wanted to read them, they could go to a public library,” said Deborah Caldwell-Stone, the director of the A.L.A.’s Office for Intellectual Freedom. “Now, we’re seeing those same groups come to public libraries and come after the same books, essentially depriving everyone of the ability to make the choice to read them.”

The most dramatic spike in book bans took place in Florida, which removed more than 1,400 books and surpassed Texas as the state with the highest number of removals, according to PEN. Florida emerged as a hot spot for book challenges after the state passed several laws aimed in part at restricting educational and reading material on certain subjects. As school districts scrambled to comply with the new regulations earlier this year, some teachers and librarians removed entire shelves of books.

1695646023450.png

The right says abortion laws are up to the state. Now some states make it illegal to leave the state for an abortion.

The right says some books don't belong in school libraries. Now they want them out of public libraries.

Is this the country you want to live in?

Reminiscent of Nazi censorship 1935-1939

iu

Two years into a surge in book banning efforts across the country, restrictions that were largely happening in school libraries, where they affected children, are now affecting the wider community as well.

Most of the challenged books were by or about people of color or L.G.B.T.Q. people.

“A year, a year and a half ago, we were told that these books didn’t belong in school libraries, and if people wanted to read them, they could go to a public library,” said Deborah Caldwell-Stone, the director of the A.L.A.’s Office for Intellectual Freedom. “Now, we’re seeing those same groups come to public libraries and come after the same books, essentially depriving everyone of the ability to make the choice to read them.”

The most dramatic spike in book bans took place in Florida, which removed more than 1,400 books and surpassed Texas as the state with the highest number of removals, according to PEN. Florida emerged as a hot spot for book challenges after the state passed several laws aimed in part at restricting educational and reading material on certain subjects. As school districts scrambled to comply with the new regulations earlier this year, some teachers and librarians removed entire shelves of books.

View attachment 67469455

The right says abortion laws are up to the state. Now some states make it illegal to leave the state for an abortion.
The problem is that the state lacks the authority to make it illegal to leave the state for an abortion.

The right says some books don't belong in school libraries. Now they want them out of public libraries.
Typical reich-wing nonsense.

Is this the country you want to live in?

A public library in VA has agreed to put the questionable books in a special section with limited access, but it's not enough for the right-wing who want the library to surrender its independence and the government to take it over.

That's what should be done.

My guess is the librarians, LGBTQ activist, the Democrat party, social media influencers and YOU are against it.

There is a reason why movies and video games have age restrictions.

They need to ban those books about the Civil War and slavery ASAP.

My guess is the librarians, LGBTQ activist, the Democrat party, social media influencers and YOU are against it.

Irrelevant. We're talking about books and bans of those books. Do you support this censorship?

Irrelevant. We're talking about books and bans of those books. Do you support this censorship?
I support this for public libraries.

A public library in VA has agreed to put the questionable books in a special section with limited access.

These books should not be available in schools and I don't mean universities.

You have my opinion, tell me your opinion on the 2 points I made.

they can replace books about slavery with this kind of stuff...

I support this for public libraries.

A public library in VA has agreed to put the questionable books in a special section with limited access.

These books should not be available in schools and I don't mean universities.

You have my opinion, tell me your opinion on the 2 points I made.

So you do support censorship and book banning. Should they be burned, too?

The point is, its the right-wing that's against it. How did you miss this?

"...but it's not enough for the right-wing..."

You are not being honest.

Done with you.

Good job recognizing that you can't refute anything I said. Usually this is where people start doubling-down with more lies, but you made a good lay-down. (y)

The point is, its the right-wing that's against it. How did you miss this?

"...but it's not enough for the right-wing..."
There is no such thing as a book ban. They just don't make them available, refuse to carry them.

Do you realize some book stores refuse to carry certain authors books because they don't like their politics.

Good job recognizing that you can't refute anything I said. Usually this is where people start doubling-down with more lies, but you made a good lay-down. (y)
I have this nasty habit of mine of calling out liars.

Good day.

I have this nasty habit of mine of calling out liars.

Good day.

Interesting comment to make after you said to me, "Done with you." Did you forget? 😄

They need to ban those books about the Civil War and slavery ASAP.
Why? The Africans didn't swim here for the chance to work 14-hour days picking cotton. And after the C-W the whites have done everything they can to keep them from getting a fair chance in the mess the Whites put them in by force.

There is no such thing as a book ban. They just don't make them available, refuse to carry them.

A distinction without a difference. One of the most cringeworthy MAGA explanations of censorship I've ever read here at DP lol.

Jebus H. Christ. You should write the "woke" rationale press releases for DeSantis or Abbott.

A distinction without a difference. One of the most cringeworthy MAGA explanations of censorship I've ever read here at DP lol.

Jebus H. Christ. You should write the "woke" rationale press releases for DeSantis or Abbott.
An actual book ban would make that book unavailable to everyone.

An actual book ban would make that book unavailable to everyone.

To ban something is to legally prohibited it.

If the government is, by law, prohibiting a book from being carried by a library, it is being banned from the library.

If a bookstore does not carry a book because it disagrees with its politics, it isn't banning it because the prohibition is not dictated by the law. In fact, they would probably special order it for a customer.

To ban something is to legally prohibited it.

If the government is, by law, prohibiting a book from being carried by a library, it is being banned from the library.

If a bookstore does not carry a book because it disagrees with its politics, it isn't banning it because the prohibition is not dictated by the law. In fact, they would probably special order it for a customer.
You made my point.

There is no such book that is legally prohibited.

Thanks.

You made my point.

There is no such book that is legally prohibited.

Thanks.
To the contrary, the righties on my school board can't ban books fast enough. Thank the Koch brothers.

To the contrary, the righties on my school board can't ban books fast enough. Thank the Koch brothers.
I don't expect you to except what an actual ban of anything really means.

Have a nice day!

Back
Top Bottom