• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Blast from the Past! The Epicurean paradox from 300 BC!

Yes. The claim that "no gods exist" is provably true.

There's an easy way to prove it. Ask anyone that claims that their god exists to logically and rationally and objectively prove that their claim is true. They will not be able to do this. Therefore... "no gods exist" is provably true.
That's easy, though. Each Pheroh was a god. We can prove Pherohs existed because we still have their bodies, their tombs, and detailed records of their reign. Therefore gods exist.

That's easy, though. Each Pheroh was a god. We can prove Pherohs existed because we still have their bodies, their tombs, and detailed records of their reign. Therefore gods exist.

It's "Pharaoh".

Second, the claim that a Pharaoh is a god has to be proved and it hasn't. Why would anyone just accept a random claim that some random human is a "god" is a subject of study of mental dysfunction. That's where all religion lies -- in the realm of mental dysfunction.

It's "Pharaoh".
My spell check disagrees, take it up with Android, I don't care either way.

Second, the claim that a Pharaoh is a god has to be proved and it hasn't.
Of course it has been proven, by the very definition of the word, even, to the letter. Pherohs appeared to have supernatural control over nature and of people's faits/destinies. That's what a god is, and that's what a pharos was, qed Pherohs were gods and the people under them worshiped accordingly.

It's not enough to just claim something random and expect others to accept it. That's just religion. If you claim that you have answered the Epikouros paradox you have to present your statement that others will accept as logically consistent and true, so we can go on forward with our intellectual edeavors.

The statement has already been presented, just as yours has. And yours stands refuted, as others have also attested in this thread.

When someone calls your claims as ignorant and stupid, you can't just respond that some other ignorant and stupid said that they will not accept the accusation. That would make you part of the ignorant and stupid crowd.

I don't care if they accept it or not. If I told them their argument was bs then it was. Period.

My spell check disagrees, take it up with Android, I don't care either way.

Of course it has been proven, by the very definition of the word, even, to the letter. Pherohs appeared to have supernatural control over nature and of people's faits/destinies. That's what a god is, and that's what a pharos was, qed Pherohs were gods and the people under them worshiped accordingly.

The Pharaohs were men, not gods.

There was only one Phero. Take it up with Android.

"Herodotus tells us that Sesostris was succeded by his son Pheros. Some argue that this name was simply a derivation of the title "pharaoh", and it is not clear which king the name actually refers to."

http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/HerodPheros.html

The Pharaohs were men, not gods.
Whoever told you men could not be gods, lied to you. "God" is not a species, it is a relative capacity of control when compared to another being.

Whoever told you men could not be gods, lied to you. "God" is not a species, it is a relative capacity of control when compared to another being.

No it is not. I'll stick with the accepted dictionary definition. You can take the Humpty Dumpty approach to language.

No it is not. I'll stick with the accepted dictionary definition. You can take the Humpty Dumpty approach to language.
I'm using the dictionary definition.

Here's more proof that religion set back civilization for thousands of years.

:lol:

NO ONE supporter of deism was ever able to respond to this question since Epikouros posed it.

Um. Lots of people have answered this pretty basic intro series of questions. I think what you mean is "no one has responded in such a fashion as to force you to begin believing in a theistic universe".

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Not necessarily. This assumes that there is no such thing as prioritization.

Example: I want Libya to be a functioning democracy rather than a basket-case breeding-ground for terrorism. As America, I have the ability (should I choose to exercise it) to invade Libya and govern it for two or three generations to make this happen. However, I have higher priorities for the employment of my national resources (and people). And so while I am willing for Libya to be a functioning Democracy, I will other things more.

In this case, in order to prevent evil from occurring, God would have to destroy our agency - he would have to end that part of Humanity that makes us Humanity, strip from us moral choice, turn us into puppets. Whether you believe in God or not, you have to recognize the logical possibility that - assuming a theistic universe - God could have higher priorities such as not destroying humanity in order to wipe out evil. So this first portion of Epicurus' paradox is built on a false assumption.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Also false. God is no more malevolent for allowing me agency to make moral decisions than I am malevolent for not enslaving you to force you to do Good more often. I could, I suppose. I have guns, and the training to use them, and I've handled prisoners who are likely far more dangerous than you before. That gives me the power to break your will and force you to do mine. Am I really malevolent for not doing so? It's worth noting, though, that in the scenario you paint, no one is really choosing Good - they are being handled like puppets to do Good. God, apparently, values our ability to choose to do Good more than he values the ability to force us to do Good. So this portion of the formulation falls prey to the same false assumption.

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" — 'the Epicurean paradox'.
That's the proof there are no gods.

and this is my favorite part, because it is actually the section that undoes the whole argument. Whence does come evil? Whence comes to you this idea of evil? Whence cometh the necessary precursor to Evil, which is Good? What gave you this weird, universal standard against which you compare actions, thoughts, and words to find an ephemeral moral position? It's not an evolutionary advantage to have an urge to self-sacrifice (end your genes) for those who don't make the group stronger, but it is a moral thing to do. Cowardice makes you more likely to survive, but there's not a culture that celebrates it. There's not a culture, in fact, that doesn't claim a moral code, and that doesn't claim a divine at it's center. You could say from a strictly materialistic point of view that things are good for you or bad for you, but you could not say that they are good or bad in and of themselves.

The existence of Evil, if anything, is evidence of God, else, whence comes Good that we may identify Evil?

Here's more proof that religion set back civilization for thousands of years. The question about gods was posed by Epikouros (better spelling than the Epicurus on comon websites) around 300 B.C.

NO ONE supporter of deism was ever able to respond to this question since Epikouros posed it. Here it is:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" — 'the Epicurean paradox'. "

That's the proof there are no gods.

So because bad happens...there is no God? Of God is evil because evil exists?

Anyway.

Is it possible to understand joy without pain?

Not necessarily.

That alone proves my point -- if there were gods they would have revealed themselves and their abilities to some or all of the people that supported their existence.

It seems that people that support the existence of gods are unable to prove they exist - by your own admission of "not necessarily".

No one ever in the history of human civilization was ever able to prove their claim that a god exists. Therefore no gods exist.

That alone proves my point

What? No it doesn't. Firstly, that was an intro phrase into me demonstrating the holes in the argument you put forth so large I could drive a mac truck carrying other mac trucks through it. Secondly, the fact of me saying anything doesn't count as "proof" one way or the other of God's existence.

if there were gods they would have revealed themselves and their abilities to some or all of the people that supported their existence.

1. You substitute one false assumption with another. What is the forcing function by which you can claim that God would necessarily reveal himself and his abilities?

2. You have a second false assumption - in fact the people who support his existence claim precisely that what you say should have occurred, has occurred.

It seems that people that support the existence of gods are unable to prove they exist - by your own admission of "not necessarily".

Yeah, I like how you quoted it in full context to demonstrate that........

.....wait......

Oh. Lookit that. Nope, nevermind it looks in fact like you completely cut out the entire rest of the post to put two words out of their context in order to try to claim victory as a sort of Just So argument.....

Huh. ;)

No one ever in the history of human civilization was ever able to prove their claim that a god exists. Therefore no gods exist.

That's dumb. You could make the same argument about love, atheism, or, in fact, just about anything else.

Seriously - are you an atheist POE?

Last edited:
Or [Of... sic] God is evil because evil exists?

Correct. If gods exist then gods must be evil because they don't want to stop evil.

If they can't stop it then they are no gods.

Therefore gods don't exist, or gods are evil, which goes against any and all religious beliefs of humankind.

If you want to start a religion that claims your god is evil by definition, go ahead, and see how far that will take you.

What? No it doesn't

Yes it does.

The "not necessarily" allows any outcome of the argument in question to be valid -- in this case, there could our could not be gods. That's OK with you, or more specifically with your argument.

Well, if your argument allows the possibility that there are no gods, then it can't be used for supporting the existence of gods. That means your argument is a failed argument.

Correct. If gods exist then gods must be evil because they don't want to stop evil.

Therefore gods don't exist, or gods are evil, which goes against any and all religious beliefs of humankind.

If you want to start a religion that claims your god is evil by definition, go ahead, and see how far that will take you.

:doh This failed logic has already been taken apart for you and yet you stick to it.

Yes it does.

The "not necessarily" allows any outcome of the argument in question to be valid

:doh

Meaning that your claim in the OP that there was a proof of an option - that there was no God - is false.

With reasoning capabilities this developed, please tell me you don't vote.

:doh This failed logic has already been taken apart for you and yet you stick to it.

"for you" ??

Was I spoon fed a logical argument taking apart the famous Evil God paradox -- and I did not acknowledge it?

No scholar, academic, self-declared philosopher in the past 2,500 years -- ** -- was ever able to refute Epikouros. If anyone here has something important to say, please, publish it in a respectable Philosophical or Academic journal, and let's see how far you get with it.

:doh

Meaning that your claim in the OP that there was a proof of an option - that there was no God - is false.

With reasoning capabilities this developed, please tell me you don't vote.

I do vote. Even if I'm wrong, I'm informed. Not the same for the sea of ignorant masses that vote Conservative, and against their own interests.

I do vote. Even if I'm wrong, I'm informed.

the-trouble-with-our-liberal-friends-is-not-that-theyre-ignorant-its-just-that-they-know-so-much-that-isnt-so.jpg

That ignorant scum was relying on fortune tellers to dictate his schedule -- who to meet and when.

Not to mention that he was brain dead before he became president. Not to mention that complete and utter disassociation with reality became the new "in" term : "hands off management".

Only the stupid will believe and support the stupid. It happens everywhere but it happens more often than not in the conservative arena.

Well, that does explain this thread. Have a good day, para.

Yes, it does. I'll try to have a good day. Same to you. But if you support conservatism then it's a bad day for all of society.

Perhaps your definition of evil is narrow in scope? What is evil?

Juanita​;1064584436 said:
Well Juanita, why don't you know?

You said we were all wrong when what I said wasn't.

Sorry Excon but after 3-4 days it's easy to lose the gist of the discussion! OK, let's talk about evil then. IMO souls were created pure but their curiosity brought them to this physical world of negativity. They were not created evil, they were not born evil! They were given free will to make decisions and choices. The Source/Creator has no need to interfere. Neither evil nor negativity exist in the world of Spirit. I do not believe that God judges us at all, but that we judge ourselves when we have our life review. God does not see evil, only life lessons that we either learn or not.
Misquoting so notification wont be made? Let me show you another way to do it.

There is no reason to talk about evil.
It is irrelevant to the argument made as evil is man's description/definition.

Again.
Excon​;1064581726 said:
The OP was using man's definitions of what evil is, when to a G_D that may not be evil at all.

Juanita​;1064584436 said:
Do not accuse me of spouting again! We discuss, we debate, we do not spout!
1. How many of you are there? Or are you just referring to multiple voices?
2 You were spouting. Had you not been and instead paid attention to what had been said, you would not have made the error you did.

Back
Top Bottom