• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black face

Do you think the recent Black Face outrage is helping or hurting race relations?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Facepaint does not lead to lynching and mass incarceration. No one has ever reasoned that murder was ok as long as you painted your face black first.

As for stereotypes every race has them. They are stupid - but they are universally socially accepted in many aspects of life. People mock white people, asians, ect all the time. Hell white face is even a thing. No one cares. Now there is plenty of actual racism in this country. It is a very real thing - but face paint is not part of it. This is fake outrage by pathetic people looking for a reason to be offended so they can cry publicly. Even when people use paint to imitate people they look up to you hypocrites cry that it is racist. Not everything is racist and it dilutes the problem of real racism to pretend they are related.
Blackface is more than just "facepaint." The type of mockery it involved very much perpetuated stereotypes that justified horrific treatment of black people in the United States - treatment no other race has faced. Saying "every race has stereotypes" in absolutely no way exonerates blackface.

It takes an enormous amount of privilege to say outrage at blackface is "fake outrage." You are right - not everything is racist. But blackface clearly is.

What does doing black face at a private party 40 years ago have to do with being good at one's job now?
I never said it did. I think what matters more is what any given politicians is doing today and how those actions help or hurt people. But that doesn't make blackface any less racist.

Blackface is more than just "facepaint." The type of mockery it involved very much perpetuated stereotypes that justified horrific treatment of black people in the United States - treatment no other race has faced. Saying "every race has stereotypes" in absolutely no way exonerates blackface.

It takes an enormous amount of privilege to say outrage at blackface is "fake outrage." You are right - not everything is racist. But blackface clearly is.
Kreton is lowkey. He believes blackface is just face paint. From the people who brought you, pepper spray is just food flavoring.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Lmao - stay out of your way or what? You'll don face paint? Do it. Post it on the internet. Find out the consequences.

Like I've told everyone else in this thread who in 2019 still doesn't have enough intellectual bandwidth to figure to out why black people think blackface is racist: you are welcome to expose your ignorance, you are not immune to how people's perception of you changes once you display it.

Black people, black civil rights scholars, and whoever else from the black delegation you feel needs to come to your house and perform a service so you will be more educated - aren't coming to teach you.

You need to get educated on your own. Maybe get an internet connection that allows you to do basic image searches on Google?

Dude, for the second time, you're the only one talking about sending black represenatives to people's houses. I would really, really, really appreciate it if you would quite trotting out this same straw-man over and over.

You're still doing this 'you' thing, and it's getting a bit irritating.

Finally, your post can basically be summed up with 'well if people are that stupid in this day and age, that's their problem'.

Okay, that's . . . not particularly productive. That's uh, kind of why I dropped the 'okay then, stay the **** out of our way, then', line, if you hadn't guessed that already. If you would excuse, me, I'm going to step back over to reality, where we have to deal with the consequences of an undereducated and misinformed voting body, where Fox News and Rush Limbaugh are a thing, where any yahoo could set up a 'news' site.

People need to stop wearing their feelings on their sleeves. Voice your opinions and move on. Encourage a civil discourse but move forward not backward. I talk to many people each day that are from a variety of race, religion, political affiliation and for the most part they voice their views and talk about how to solve problems but seldom are they irate and angry. I often get replies about things like this such as, "I really don't have time to worry over some of this stuff. It's not that big a deal to me. I'd like to see people be more aware of how things like this effect people." I don't get lots of fire them from their job response. Most people are just working and raising their families while radicals on both sides and crazy politicians stir the pot.

It doesn't exonerate black face because black face doesn't need to be exonerated because it isn't racist. The treatment of blacks throughout history in the US has nothing to do with a guy painting his face today. And there is no white privilege here. No one has afforded me any privileges in my life based on my race. So you can cry about how much face paint on others people faces harms other people but it just isn't true. I get it, you have white guilt, but unless you have done something to people based on their race you shouldn't. It is silly to try to hold individuals responsible for the actions of the deceased based on nothing other than skin color.

Social justice is neither justice, or peace. It is simply overt racism against white people.

Well, I'm sure glad you like to back up your ridiculous assertions with some form of rational basis. The notion that racism against white people could ever be a real thing in a Democracy where the population is 66% white is laughably insane.

It doesn't exonerate black face because black face doesn't need to be exonerated because it isn't racist. The treatment of blacks throughout history in the US has nothing to do with a guy painting his face today. And there is no white privilege here. No one has afforded me any privileges in my life based on my race. So you can cry about how much face paint on others people faces harms other people but it just isn't true. I get it, you have white guilt, but unless you have done something to people based on their race you shouldn't. It is silly to try to hold individuals responsible for the actions of the deceased based on nothing other than skin color.
If you don't see how perpetuating racist stereotypes (that are still racist today by the way) is racist then you are simply choosing to remain ignorant. You are choosing to exercise your white privilege rather than understand why something is racist. And guess what - that's racist too. Nothing more to say to you.

Well, I'm sure glad you like to back up your ridiculous assertions with some form of rational basis. The notion that racism against white people could ever be a real thing in a Democracy where the population is 66% white is laughably insane.
The argument will be that because black people have set up scholarships for themselves, due to the fact that for most of history they've been ineligible for scholarships, then it is obvious that black people are racist.

He will not wonder who is 99% more likely to benefit from the hundreds of scholarships and programs that exist for Italian/Irish/Jewish/Russian/German/Danish/Dutch American societies in the US.

The problem isn't that whites in America have had 350 years to set up institutions and benefits which benefited them, it'll be that in the last 60 years blacks had the audacity to do the same by taking cues from those who wouldn't let them.

It's Stormfronting 101.

It doesn't exonerate black face because black face doesn't need to be exonerated because it isn't racist.

Lol, go for it then. Wear blackface to your next office party. Let us know how it goes, make sure to record it for evidence.

:)

Lol, go for it then. Wear blackface to your next office party. Let us know how it goes, make sure to record it for evidence.

Not sure what type of office you work in but it is fairly uncommon in my office for anyone to show up dressed up as anyone. So whether I show up in blackface or as superman or jackie chan or jigsaw would probably generate the same response of confusion. Your idea that just something is racist just because it is inappropriate at the office is just a pathetically weak argument. You cannot come up with a single argument as to how facepaint is racist so you have devolved to childish dares to wear costumes to work. You are better than this.

If you don't see how perpetuating racist stereotypes (that are still racist today by the way) is racist then you are simply choosing to remain ignorant. You are choosing to exercise your white privilege rather than understand why something is racist. And guess what - that's racist too. Nothing more to say to you.

Having a black face is not a stereo type. You should look into what a stereotype is. Again you have demonstrated no white privilege or anything else. You are not furthering your point. You have nothing more to say because in roughly 10 posts to me you haven't said anything. There word "more" in that last sentence was not needed.

Not sure what type of office you work in but it is fairly uncommon in my office for anyone to show up dressed up as anyone. So whether I show up in blackface or as superman or jackie chan or jigsaw would probably generate the same response of confusion. Your idea that just something is racist just because it is inappropriate at the office is just a pathetically weak argument. You cannot come up with a single argument as to how facepaint is racist so you have devolved to childish dares to wear costumes to work. You are better than this.

Please show up at your job wearing black face. Make sure to record it, post it on the internet. Let us know the reception you get. Say you are doing it in "jest and fun", you know like people in the 20s to the 60s.

I'm sure the HR there will agree.

Did you just say that you would get the same response in your office showing up in blackface, as you would showing up in a Superman costume? With a straight face, even?

OM

Kreton: Blackface isn't racist.

Me: Okay wear some, make sure you have a large audience and record it. Make sure to identify yourself.

Kreton: You are childish for telling me to do what I don't believe is racist.

So childish of me to expose how your opinion has no real world applications, huh?

Lol, these people aren't real.

Did you just say that you would get the same response in your office showing up in blackface, as you would showing up in a Superman costume? With a straight face, even?

OM

Until a week ago I think this may well be true in most offices in the country,

Relatively few Americans knew blackface was some sort of racist symbol until last week.

Until a week ago I think this may well be true in most offices in the country,

Relatively few Americans knew blackface was some sort of racist symbol until last week.

I wouldn't have done it even 30 years ago. A racist joke maybe, but not blackface. Heck, even a decade ago the producers of Mad Men were demonstrating how racist black face is.

OM

Are you saying there is not racism against white people? That's hard to believe since I've seen blacks in interviews talking about how they hate whites.

I wouldn't have done it even 30 years ago. A racist joke maybe, but not blackface. Heck, even a decade ago the producers of Mad Men were demonstrating how racist black face is.

OM

I had no clue.

Please show up at your job wearing black face. Make sure to record it, post it on the internet. Let us know the reception you get. Say you are doing it in "jest and fun", you know like people in the 20s to the 60s.

I'm sure the HR there will agree.

You are making the same boring point. You know your point is weak and pathetic but you are clinging to it because there is no actual argument you can make.

Yet, here we are. I agree that it is laughably insane. It is happening.

It's tough to have discussion when people are so quick to judge and label. Maybe the attempt at discussion should occur before a person is forced to resign from their job.

I'm sure there is discussion among their bosses when people are fired.

Or asked to resign.

Back
Top Bottom