• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best and worst cities to live?

Scottsdale Arizona, real easy to find a good job.

I almost got a job in Phoenix. Definitely affordable as well. The only negative is 120 degree summers, but 9 months of amazing weather that can be OK. Plus, you can escape into the mountains if you want to get away from the heat

There definitely are negatives. I've only lived here 3 months, but supposedly there is a lot of petty crimes like car's broken into, other stuff. And there are definitely bad neighborhoods. But the affordability, amazing mountains right there, and weather are worth it. Plus, there is so much more awesome places in New Mexico. It ranks dead last to be a child, poor education system, but there is a lot of poverty in the state (and a ton of indian reservations that tend to have poor quality of life.

Salt Lake City would be up there, but for me, the Mormons in Utah ruin it where they stick their religion into the laws, like some of the ridiculous alcohol rules there

Even though mormons for the most part are really nice people.

I noticed that about New Mexico, it seems to have a rather low standard of living and it's mostly boring except for some great scenery and recreation in some parts of the state. I liked Santa Fe and Taos but didn't care much for Albuquerque, kind of meh in my opinion.

Utah has a significant Mormon population and it's pretty conservative but Salt Lake City seems to be the crown jewel of the state as far as cities and towns is concerned. I know people that live there who aren't Mormon and they seem to love it there. I was actually kind of shocked how much land area metro Salt Lake covers, lots of suburbs.

This could include anywhere the the USA or the world.

Some of the worst USA cities in my opinion are Baltimore, Detroit, and Philadelphia because of the crime, higher unemployment, outdated infrastructure, and lousy weather. All 3 are dirty with lots of bad neighborhoods.

The best cities I've been in are Salt Lake City, Denver, and San Jose. Generally clean, low crime, plentiful jobs, beautiful scenery, and good weather.

I lived in Detroit, I agree.
I visited Baltimore, I agree
St. Louis is a high crime area.
I visited Chicago, neighborhoods just outside downtown are pits.

I like the smaller cities.
I lived in Boise, ID and Medford, OR, great places.

I almost got a job in Phoenix. Definitely affordable as well. The only negative is 120 degree summers, but 9 months of amazing weather that can be OK. Plus, you can escape into the mountains if you want to get away from the heat

I hated Phoenix for so many reasons.

It's become too big of a city in a short amount of time and it has lots of big city problems like traffic and crime, but the mentality of the government and many people there is something like a small town. Too big for its britches in other words.

The summers are horrible there and that's the biggest thing I hated about the place, along with the "but it's a dry heat" attitude. The heat might be dry but it can be a killer if you're not prepared or acclimated.

I noticed that about New Mexico, it seems to have a rather low standard of living and it's mostly boring except for some great scenery and recreation in some parts of the state. I liked Santa Fe and Taos but didn't care much for Albuquerque, kind of meh in my opinion.

Utah has a significant Mormon population and it's pretty conservative but Salt Lake City seems to be the crown jewel of the state as far as cities and towns is concerned. I know people that live there who aren't Mormon and they seem to love it there. I was actually kind of shocked how much land area metro Salt Lake covers, lots of suburbs.

How long ago were you here? For people who like outdoor activities, its great. The food is really good and there are a lot of really good breweries. Denver was my favorite city when I lived there many years ago before legalized pot put it on the map and everybody else realized how awesome it was. Granted, its not a big city and lacks major league sports teams, also, its service economy heavy so many low wage jobs so that could contribute to petty crimes. Also, decent amount of homeless (but Denver had a lot as well).

Cities? No thank you...been there, done that...don't like it.

Give me a small town at least 20 miles from the city and I'll be happy. Close enough to enjoy the good stuff, far enough away to avoid the bad stuff. And believe me...even Denver has some bad stuff, traffic being one of them.

If it wasn't for no ocean, right where I live outside of Colorado Springs is perfect. No crime, no traffic, good employment, constant building and upgrading infrastructure. Even the weather isn't all that bad thanks to the altitude and low humidity. Heck, you even have to use AC in your car in the winter thanks to the sun intensity.

I'll put up with trips to South Padre Island every year or two for the ocean and stay in Colorado.

Do you have a "pray for me I drive academy" bumper sticker?

Do you have a "pray for me I drive academy" bumper sticker?

LOL!!

No...I stay away from Academy as much as possible. I use Marksheffel whenever I can...and even that road is getting worse every year.

One reason I liked Denver is the downtown area and the rail system. Salt Lake City and San Jose also have good downtowns and rail systems except they're smaller than Denver's.

San Jose makes up for it in weather and good jobs but not the cost of living.

Salt Lake City still has a reasonable cost of living, great weather most of the year, and fantastic access to recreational areas.

Salt lake city is the cleanest city I have ever been in.

Hitchhiking through there one time I started looking to see if I could spot cigarette buts. I could count the total on one hand..

The homeless aren't that bright tho, at the bus station I gave a guy a buck for food and rather than buy roman or something he went straight to a machine and bought a ice cream sandwich...

How long ago were you here? For people who like outdoor activities, its great. The food is really good and there are a lot of really good breweries. Denver was my favorite city when I lived there many years ago before legalized pot put it on the map and everybody else realized how awesome it was. Granted, its not a big city and lacks major league sports teams, also, its service economy heavy so many low wage jobs so that could contribute to petty crimes. Also, decent amount of homeless (but Denver had a lot as well).

I stayed overnight in Albuquerque on the way to Santa Fe and Colorado a few years ago, I think it was 2016. It's not a terrible city but it just didn't impress me all that much. I drove through the downtown area and it was kind of small and bland.

I didn't notice the homeless so much there but it's bad in many California cities. Come to San Diego and you'll see a lot more homeless in one visit than you'll probably ever see in Albuquerque.

San Francisco is even worse. You can't walk in downtown San Francisco without stepping on people laying on the sidewalks or sitting on the curbs begging for money.

LOL!!

No...I stay away from Academy as much as possible. I use Marksheffel whenever I can...and even that road is getting worse every year.

It's been years but if I remember right the speed limit was 45 but if you weren't doing 75 you were a road hazard.

And because of all the military there were thousands of young drivers that had never driven on snow or ice before...
Well actually decades...

Salt lake city is the cleanest city I have ever been in.

Hitchhiking through there one time I started looking to see if I could spot cigarette buts. I could count the total on one hand..

I was impressed with Salt Lake City on so many levels, one reason being the cleanliness.

And didn't you get the memo? Mormons don't smoke. :mrgreen:

I hated Phoenix for so many reasons.

It's become too big of a city in a short amount of time and it has lots of big city problems like traffic and crime, but the mentality of the government and many people there is something like a small town. Too big for its britches in other words.

The summers are horrible there and that's the biggest thing I hated about the place, along with the "but it's a dry heat" attitude. The heat might be dry but it can be a killer if you're not prepared or acclimated.

I hate Phoenix, just because you don't have a pan of water in your oven doesn't mean it ain't ****ing HOT in there!!!

I was impressed with Salt Lake City on so many levels, one reason being the cleanliness.

And didn't you get the memo? Mormons don't smoke. :mrgreen:

No I did not, all these years I thought they just picked up after themselves...:lol:

It's been years but if I remember right the speed limit was 45 but if you weren't doing 75 you were a road hazard.

And because of all the military there were thousands of young drivers that had never driven on snow or ice before...
Well actually decades...

South of Woodman, Academy is just about all 45 mph. North of Woodman increases to 50...but it's even more congested. There's been a LOT of development on North Academy over the years. It's been extended to I-25 near the Air Force Academy for a long time.

It's the same on the next major road to the east...Powers Blvd. From Platte on north...shopping centers, strip malls, etc...all the way up to Woodman. Residential developments north of there.

I go into the Springs only when I have to.

When it comes to snow and ice, I don't think the military is the problem. I think it's the people from CA and TX, among other places.

Last edited:

Full disclosure...I didn't like your post because I like NYC...I don't. I liked it because of Lady Gaga. Great performance.

South of Woodman, Academy is just about all 45 mph. North of Woodman increases to 50...but it's even more congested. There's been a LOT of development on North Academy over the years. It's been extended to I-25 near the Air Force Academy for a long time.

It's the same on the next major road to the east...Powers Blvd. From Platte on north...shopping centers, strip malls, etc...all the way up to Woodman. Residential developments north of there.

I go into the Springs only when I have to.

When it comes to snow and ice, I don't think the military is the problem. I think it's the people from CA and TX, among other places.

I think the last time I was on academy was '86.

I had a friend from Hawaii who had never seen snow before who bought an old Oldsmobile 88 for his first car.

Hit some ice on a bridge on academy, slammed on the brakes and caused a 27 car pile up...:lamo
Fortunately no one was hurt...

I hate Phoenix, just because you don't have a pan of water in your oven doesn't mean it ain't ****ing HOT in there!!!

The heat isn't the only issue with Phoenix. Never in my life did I experience as much dust as I did when I was there. Good god, it could be 112 in August followed by a huge dust storm.

Las Vegas was almost as bad with the hot summers, the dryness and dust. In some ways I consider Phoenix and Vegas sister cities - the weather, scenery, and architecture are nearly identical but Vegas is the smaller of the 2 and the most entertaining of the 2.

Montreal has a lot more snow than Calgary I believe. I expect it is colder in the winter and Calgary among the large cities in Canada has the most hrs of sunshine in a year

Yes we do have lots of urban sprawl, but our city center is getting much better, especially for those who want to live in a more socially active lifestyle. About a 20 block radius from downtown is great for those that want that lifestyle (a person can easily live without a car in that area). For you a recent grad, if you were to live in Calgary I would suggest the area between 1st SE to 14 st SW and 9 ave SE to about 25 ave SW. Lots of condo's and apartments in the area and close to the major entertainment districts in Calgary

For those that don't the residential area's are safe, the schools are good. Then of course the outdoor activities surrounding Calgary are only exceeded by Vancouver for Canadian cities.

The proximity to 'outdoor activities' is actually a problem in Vancouver. Hardcore city types, concrete canyon dwellers, are ony 20 minutes from serious wilderness and the North Shore Rescue Society is one of the busiest such organisations in the world. My son and I used to get on a city bus in Surrey with our snowboards and end up on Grouse Mountain and it's amazing how many idiots go out-of-bounds and get hopelessly helpless literally in sight of the city lights.
Been awhile since I was in Calgary but I remember coming into the city from the north and passing the Welcome to Calgary sign with miles of farmland still ahead! It was then and still is, I hear, a genuine 'fun town'. I worked on a half-dozen railroad bridges through Rogers Pass a few years ago and Calgary was where we went to squander a paycheque and a couple days off.

I honestly have no idea why anyone would want to live where it is above 25C most of the year. 3 months is already too much here. Looking at you Southern US. I think I would die.

The only problem with the south is wasps, we can deal with the heat but those damn paper wasps keep flying all up in my face, I think we need to make a peace treaty with them, get them on my side, or else they face a thousand more deaths from being swatted by my hat.

The only problem with the south is wasps, we can deal with the heat but those damn paper wasps keep flying all up in my face, I think we need to make a peace treaty with them, get them on my side, or else they face a thousand more deaths from being swatted by my hat.

Why would you swat a wasp? Does that not just make them angry?

I looked up Austin which seems reasonably close to you and their February and January are late Spring early Summer temperatures here, I am wearing shorts no matter what. With cold you can dress warmer, with heat you cannot dress cooler.

With heat you learn to do this thing called climatizing. I used to live in the cali desert, I deployed to afghanistan which reached 142 on a thermometer in the shade, that day was hell no one worked more than 10 minutes at a time, freak weather day there but many summer days got to 120 ish. When I got back to texas it was around high 90's and I wanted to put on a jacket, you literally learn to adapt to temps wherever you are.

Why would you swat a wasp? Does that not just make them angry?

No it disables them, it messes up their wings and they can not fly. I have even gone full retard on them in the national guard, humvees that sat too long loaded with wasps, but told they can not get wasp spray because it is environmentally unfriendly, so instead I get handed a can of brake parts cleaner and a bic lighter and get told you know what to do.

With heat you learn to do this thing called climatizing. I used to live in the cali desert, I deployed to afghanistan which reached 142 on a thermometer in the shade, that day was hell no one worked more than 10 minutes at a time, freak weather day there but many summer days got to 120 ish. When I got back to texas it was around high 90's and I wanted to put on a jacket, you literally learn to adapt to temps wherever you are.

I learned in a biology class I took it is also partly genetic disposition, partly by your parents and partly governed by what time of year and where you were born. I have lived in places where it gets above 30C(~90F) during the summer all my life but I still hate when it gets above 22C(~70F) and cannot stand being outside for more than a few minutes. I was born in a very cold Canadian April so I guess that is partly why I have a far higher cold tolerance than I do heat tolerance.

When I was on exchange to Switzerland there were all these Americans (mostly Californians/Southerners) that were complaining how cold it was and wearing winter jackets when it was like 10C(50F) and I was not wearing anything other than pants and a t-shirt. During a few very cold days (-20C or -4F) they and the entire country basically shut down and refused to go outside but I was fine, I just went on with my business like usual but wondering why everything was closed. However, it was flipped during the summer, they were busy doing everything in the sun while it was 35C(95F) meanwhile I could not bear to go outside.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom